CAP1 - Part 9.5 - (Pre-Evo Typing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, remember that this isn't a poll yet! If you have an opinion on which typing you'd like to see CAP1's pre-evo have, post your reasons why! If they agree with someone else, you should quote it and say that.

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
From a purely flavorful perspective based on the artwork, I'd have to say that Normal / Fighting would be the best typing. Looking at the artwork itself, I see a lion or otherwise grounded cat-like creature covered in fur-feathers, analogous to a tribal headdress (yes, that's Elvis in a headdress), which could suggest many things, notably that the CAP is the "chief" of a particular tribe or, more specifically, a pack of PreCAPs. But not every member of a tribe can be chief! So, I imagine the PreCAP looking similar to the CAP itself in most ways except for the multitude of fur-feathers, in which case it simply looks like the lion or otherwise grounded cat-like creature I mentioned before. Looking to Gamefreak, then, for common typings of grounded mammalia, it is difficult to avoid the plethora of Normal-type Pokes (especially, the Persian, Delcatty, and Purugly lines for feline-inspired designs). It follows that Normal typing would be easily replaced with Flying upon evolution, due to the sudden growth of wings on the CAP and the poor aesthetic dependency of the Normal-typing itself. The secondary Fighting-type is in line with the CAP itself and lends itself to a "warrior tribe" sort of vibe.

For the reasons stated by Admiral Korski, and others, my support is also towards Normal/Fighting. I can't imagine a pure Flying pre-evo, and I don't like the concept of going from a mono-fighting type, to a secondary fighting type.

Plus, as others have stated, a Normal/Fighting pre-evo just makes sense. Look at the (non-flying) Normal dual type pokemon: Girafarig, Bibarel, Deerling, Sawsbuck, and Meloetta. With the exception of Meloetta, all of these Pokemon are based on Mammals, so it makes sense to go from a warrior cub, to a flying warrior cub.

Normal / Fighting seems most fitting, with Normal accentuating it's status as a mammal without any fantastical qualities while keeping the Fighting type of CAP 1.

I agree with Other Doug. Not being able to fly at first is part of CAP's flavor, so that's out. Also, the Fighting type should remain secondary.

Well 3 options to me really.

Flying/Fighting
Normal/Fighting
Flying

Mono Fighting just don't make alot of flavor sense as it would mean the primary turns to secondary typing upon evolving.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Well 3 options to me really.

Flying/Fighting
Normal/Fighting
Flying

Mono Fighting just don't make alot of flavor sense as it would mean the primary turns to secondary typing upon evolving.
On the contrary, it makes total sense when you look at the whole flavor design rather than just precedence in typing. Like a couple people mentioned, "the pokemon's quills harden with age". Also, what birds come straight out of a nest knowing how to fly? They need to be taught how to fly.

PS: If you want an example SOMEWHAT along the same lines, onyx is rock/ground -> steel/ground and swablu is normal/fly -> dragon/fly, so it's not unprecedented for the primary type to change.

I personally would say not Flying. It looks like our CAP got its wings by taking them from a dead bird-like creature or making them out of feathers from other bird-like creatures. I cannot imagine that it would make sense for this thing to have wings from the very start. I also agree that X/Fighting is the way to go because of Fighting being a secondary type not a primary one. Aside from Normal/Fighting, which seems to have plenty of support, the only other typing I can imagine the prevo having (and this is quite a stretch imo) is Ground/Fighting because it could be quite easy to make the prevo a bit more ground-based.

On the contrary, it makes total sense when you look at the whole flavor design rather than just precedence in typing. Like a couple people mentioned, "the pokemon's quills harden with age". Also, what birds come straight out of a nest knowing how to fly? They need to be taught how to fly.

PS: If you want an example SOMEWHAT along the same lines, onyx is rock/ground -> steel/ground and swablu is normal/fly -> dragon/fly, so it's not unprecedented for the primary type to change.
Yes I'm aware of primary type can change, but don't think theres examples of where it still keep its primary type but as a secondary type.

Like if chimchar being fire, then evolving to Fighting/Fire instead of Fire/Fighting.

I think pure Fighting has a lot of merit to it based on what tennis and others have suggested. There is precedent for primary types changing by evolution, and while there isn't a Pokemon that specifically shifts its original primary type to its secondary type on evolution, I don't think it's a far-fetched idea at all.

Normal / Fighting is also interesting, because it definitely does keep to the Swablu style of things. It isn't very exciting as a baby, hence Normal, but then it grows up and becomes more interesting and gains wings, hence Flying. That's solid. Pure Flying works as an extension to this, too, because I could see CAP1 being a little Flying thingy at all times and then suddenly gaining control over lots of Fighting techniques with evolution, becoming more shamanistic.

Currently, I see a lot of merit to the following typings based on the discussion so far:

Flying / Fighting
Normal / Fighting
Fighting
Flying

If you have ideas for other combinations, or would like me to reconsider any of these ones, I encourage you to go for it!

Fighting

In my opinion, Flying doesn't make a huge amount of sense, as this guy isn't a bird anyways, so you can't make it a chick or something. Flying as the pre-evo typing severly limits the concept to something similar to a smaller version of the final stage. I'm in agreement with Yllnath's idea that in order to evolve, the cub must obtain its feathers to fly first.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Personally I would love a pure Flying prevo. It would make sense in that as it grows up and evolves, it gats better at fighting and thus gains the fighting type. Also, even if it has little impact competitively, I would like to see a pure Flying type pokemon that is not as outclassed as Tornadus is (even if its only in LC or whatever this guy would do).

Other possible options would be pure Fighting or retaining the Flying/Fighting typing. Very few Pokemon change a type upon evolution, with most staying the same or gaining a type, and as such I don't particularly like most other typings, especially ones including Normal. Normal/Flying stays Normal/Flying always, at least as far as I can remember, and sticking Normal with anything else just seems unnecessary.

Edit: Swablu changes from Normal/Flying, but I believe that is a unique case.

Edit2: Just wondering, since when did normal type become mammal type. I'm fairly certain there are mammals of most types.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
I have to say that I would much rather have the pre-evolution's typing be Flying / Normal than pure Flying. The Normal-type is filled with mammals and birds galore, and this Pokemon would be at home being a part Normal-type. I feel that if the Fighting type will be dropped, it should be replaced with Normal rather than nothing at all. I do not understand the reasoning for making it pure Flying other than to have a pure Flying-type running around. It just seems like a strange flavor choice, in my opinion. This CAP family kind of reminds me strongly of Swablu evolving into Altaria; it starts out "normal", but then evolves into something with interesting typing, while retaining its "flying" or perhaps bird-like attributes. Besides, Flying / Normal makes the most sense to me, as the CAP's primary typing is Flying and there is nothing we can do about it. Pure Fighting just feels a little strange. Normal / Fighting I can understand, but I want my griffin warrior cub to fly!

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
Normal / Fighting

Fighting is there for the obligatory type-sharing, as a Flying type just doesn't seem to work with the art design. Pure Fighting seems to plain, so make it blander with Normal.

To all the people who want pure Flying, while I apprecaite the sentiment to be sure what with the lack of Pokemon of the type, I just can't really agree with that. Looking at the Pokemon that CAN be pure Flying in addition to Tornadus, you have all the type-changers, none of which really have wings (you can hardly count Kecleon's vestigial winglike things). This kind of leads me to believe that pure Flying is more indicative of a wind element-based creature than an actual bird, all of have historically been Flying-type hybrids with Normal or some other type.

The main reason I disagree with that is because it makes more sense, like a lot of people are saying, for this to evolove from some sort of cub creature (the main design is some sort of feline/cannid/bear or something with feathers as fundamentally an 'accessory' or additive of sorts). I would agree with Fighting or any hybrid type suggested for it. (Normal, Flying hybrid, etc).

Since Cartoons! final submission says absolutely nothing about the evolution of the design, I'm support two choices:

Flying/Fighting ~ Same type as the fully evolved form, pretty self explanatory

Flying/Normal ~ A lot of people see this as a lion/other big cat with the overcoat and wings of a bird of prey, and I see the prevolution as a smaller cub. It is hard for me to see a cub (which I perceive to be a quadruped) as a Fighting type. From the looks of it, CAP1's design looks to be bipedal, so my take on it is that CAP1 evolves the Fighting-type when it evolves from four legs to two. And while the prevo could easily be pure Flying under this line of thinking, I feel the combination of Flying/Normal represents more of a "flying-lion" than pure Flying (which would push more towards just a bird).

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
To all the people who want pure Flying, while I apprecaite the sentiment to be sure what with the lack of Pokemon of the type, I just can't really agree with that. Looking at the Pokemon that CAN be pure Flying in addition to Tornadus, you have all the type-changers, none of which really have wings (you can hardly count Kecleon's vestigial winglike things). This kind of leads me to believe that pure Flying is more indicative of a wind element-based creature than an actual bird, all of have historically been Flying-type hybrids with Normal or some other type.
While I appreciate your scientific approach to determining what makes a pure Flying type, I must say that type-changers really cant be included in the sample space, as really all pokemon can change types in the right situation (skill swap). As such, the sample space would consist only of Tornadus, and we can't say that because it is wind based, all pure flying types must be.

Not that any of this is a good argument for pure flying. I am just saying that the precedent, or lack thereof, cannot be used to say pure flying must be wind base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)