CAP Prevos - Monohm & Duohm - Typing Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
All right, has discussed here, we have two more pre-evos to get update! It's onto this pair of pre-evolutions for Cyclohm.

Here is what we currently have for this pair:

Monohm

image6.png
image3.png

Duohm

image4.png
image2.png

What do you think their types should be? By default, Electric/Dragon -> Electric/Dragon will be on the slate. If you want to suggest other typings, please nominate them in the format Type 1/Type 2 -> Type 1/Type 2!

You have 72 hours to discuss!

I can see us retaining the Electric/Dragon typing throughout, even if Monohm doesn't look much like it, but mono Electric for the base stage can also work.

Definitely Electric/Dragon -> Electric/Dragon
However I could also see Monohm be pure electric. Similar to the Flygon line where trapinch isn't a dragon but the rest of the evos are.

Electric -> Electric/Dragon makes sense to me

Electric/Flying -> Electric/Dragon could also work, since Monohm seems to kind of be floating, then as it evolves it gets bulkier and loses its flight

Nominating Electric/Water -> Electric/Water for both of them, they're both thunder clouds and this isn't something unusual for Water-types to become Dragon-types later on (see Dragalge line). Cyclohm also has access to Water-type moves as well like Water Pulse, Surf, Hydro Pump and more which would make sense with this typing.

I can also see Electric/Water -> Electric/Dragon work in this case since Duohm does have a more established Dragon-type appearance compared to Monohm.

Nominating Electric/Water -> Electric/Water for both of them, they're both thunder clouds and this isn't something unusual for Water-types to become Dragon-types later on (see Dragalge line). Cyclohm also has access to Water-type moves as well like Water Pulse, Surf, Hydro Pump and more which would make sense with this typing.

I can also see Electric/Water -> Electric/Dragon work in this case since Duohm does have a more established Dragon-type appearance compared to Monohm.
Interesting thoughts, but tbh, It seems more like Electric/Flying -> Electric/Dragon since Monohm's cloud part doesn't seem too filled with water.

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Duohm should absolutely stay Electric/Dragon. It's only a small departure from Cyclohm design wise and I can certainly see it being a dragon.

Monohm is the interesting one. It really doesn't feel as draconian as its second and third stage, but I can still see arguments for it. I think other types that have been mentioned, particularly Electric/Water and Electric/Flying focus far too hard on the cloud element when I don't think it takes nearly as large of a role in the typing, more of tying Cyclohm itself to the storm cloud motif. Not saying that Flying and Water aren't welcome in its flavor, but they aren't a large enough element imo to really allow for such a type change.

My current vote would go to Electric -> Electric/Dragon, although Electric/Dragon -> Electric/Dragon is a close second as well.

Zetalz

Expect nothing, deliver less
is a Pre-Contributor
Cyclohm has a grand total of one (1) Water move in it's level-up set (Rain Dance). This means we'd either be changing a bunch of LU moves to add in some water flavor that then suddenly disappears when it gets to Cyclohm (something that Dragalge does not do), or we'd be making Water-types with no water moves in their LU pool to speak of. This sounds like a needless hassle when Water flavor isn't exactly front and center for these two. Not to mention how other Dragon types like the Goomy line, with much greater reason to be Water-type (they even evolve in the Rain for crying out loud) are not.

I'm on board for Electric -> Electric/Dragon, Monohm strikes me as just a cute puffball that hasn't quite unlocked it's draconic powers yet. Not sure how I feel about Electric/Flying for either of them yet but I don't think it'd work on Duohm at all from initial thoughts.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Zetasniper laid it out quite well in that by our current CAP process, there is not a good way to match flavor with Cyclohm's level-up movepool for types outside of Electric and Dragon.

I like Electric/Dragon -> Electric Dragon best, but I can see Swablu similarities where we could give Monohm pure Electric as a type.

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I see Electric -> Electric/Dragon as the current best typing for the designs. Monohm could be an Electric / Dragon too considering things like Applin so I'm not opposed to it, I just find the first stage to not have many Draconic elements.

I would keep Electric/Dragon throughout the whole line, since I feel Monohm's facial features are sharp/reptilian/draconic enough. Its visual departure from its following stages is far smaller than Trapinch's, and Altaria is overall an exception to how Dragon-types usually look like.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I prefer to keep Electric / Dragon throughout. It makes sense, and maps on quite nicely. The only alternative typing imo is Electric, as Monohm can have a good argument to not gain its Draconian lineage. Electric Flying makes no sense as Cyclohm gets like 1 flying type move period, and Zetasniper laid out why Electric Water doesnt make too much sense based on flavor precedent.

MrPanda

not a bear
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
I am against Electric/Water and Electric/Flying as typing's options for Monohm. Despite being basically a cloud and having a certain connection with climatic elements, Monohm has no major elements that imply Water in its type, even though it is natural to connect clouds to water, the same does not apply when it comes to Pokémon. In fact, looking at Castform and Swablu/Altaria, also cloud-themed Pokémon, none of them have Water in their type (even though Castform can acquire this type - and some others - through its ability). Furthermore, echoing what Zeta has already said here, Cyclohm's level-up movepool does not support a Water-type prevo and even less so a Flying-type prevo as the only Flying move that Cyclohm has access to is only acquired when transferred from past generations.

Finally, Electric -> Electric/Dragon is my favorite option, but I can also see Electric/Dragon -> Electric/Dragon working, after all Applin is real.

Electric -> Electric/Dragon just makes more sense looking at design. It's just a cute lightning puffball until it grows a second head. That said, I wouldn't be averse to Electric/Dragon -> Electric/Dragon .

Electric/Dragon -> Electric Dragon for me, though it only narrowly edges out Electric -> Electric Dragon simply by dint of Applin existing. I think it's more for a thematic consistency akin to the Applin line, since there's nothing about the design that says Dragon on either of them. Monohm looks like a Gen III-style Mareep clone (ergo, pure Electric) and Applin looks like a Grass/Bug-type. But sometimes we need to look past that. The sub-typing could help Monohm in terms of STAB.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
All right, from our discussion, Electric -> Electric/Dragon has enough support that it will be voted on against Electric/Dragon -> Electric/Dragon. With that decided, I'll see you at the poll!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)