• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Our Pokemon so far:

Name: Ultimate Scout
Description: A Pokemon that is very capable of forcing the opponent to reveal vital information about their team members and their moves using various techniques.
Type: Steel / Ghost

With a 0 to 20 (Somewhat Offensive) Style Bias.

This is where we determine the general build of the pokemon, from an physical and special standpoint. We also will set limits on the stat spreads that support that build. It should be noted that the Build Bias is not just for limiting stats, but also helps shape the general "feel" of the pokemon. The Build may influence other parts of the pokemon -- such as art, movepool, ability, etc. However, the stat spread is the only part of the project that will be specifically constrained by the voted Build Bias.

Physical/Special Balance is part of the Stats Rating Formula mentioned earlier. Depending on the winning option of the first poll -- that will limit the PSB options presented for the second poll.

The voted PSB range must be followed by stat spread creators when submitting final stat spreads for the Stat Spread Poll later.

Information about the formula is located here.
A utility for calculating the ODB is located here.

Use clicky poll above to vote. Choices ordered based on results of the last poll.

Mixed. Making it less predictable will hopefully force your opponent second guess keeping their current poke in.

Why you should vote for Physical:
  • This shouldn't be mixed AT ALL. If we want this to force any switches, it NEEDS to focus on a single stat.
  • Physical means that your foe must be wary of your moves and switch out of potentially super effective attacks, thereby giving you information about your opponent's team, because there is NO definitive physical wall.
  • While mixed can be somewhat better at wallbreaking, the way the bulkiness polls (and submissions) are going, people are generally submitting low 500 BST spreads with decent defenses. Mixed wallbreakers such as Salamence also come with a sweet 600 BST, which gives it extra base stat points even with good defenses. The 510 - 530 BST spreads I'm seeing in the submission thread really can't maintain those good defenses that everyone wants and still have enough to give it high enough mixed offenses.
  • You can certainly be within the 20 to Infinity range for build and still have decent SpD. An example (these defenses overall are higher than I like; this is just to show my point):

Here is another example:

Physical

I dont think this pokemon will have enough umph to threaten either side of the spectrum if we are forced to split it offense both ways. Let it be able to definitivly threaten one side, especially since Physical has no universal walls, rather than risk it failing to KO pokes on both sides.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Why to vote Mixed:

Physical forces this to choose one offense or the other, making it either more susceptible to a certain kind of attack or less effective against a threat worth scouting.

Here is a mixed Spread:

75/93/81/87/81/118. BST: 535.

PSweep: 147 (Rank 4, Very Good)
PTank: 104 (Rank 0, Average)
SSweep: 138 (Rank 3, Good)
STank: 104 (Rank 0, Average)
ODB: 19.2 (Moderate Bias to Offense)
PSB: 3.8 (No Bias)
Overall: 325 (Very Good)

Mixed allows it to take both kinds of attacks fairly well without sacrificing crucial EVs to make up for an innate weakness.

Here is the same effective spread going Physical:

75/98/91/82/71/118.
BST 535.

PSweep: 156 (Rank 4, Very Good)
PTank: 114 (Rank 1, Above Average)
SSweep: 130 (Rank 2, Moderately Good)
STank: 93 (Rank 0, Average)
ODB: 16.9 (Moderate Bias to Offense)
PSB: 21.3 (Bias to Physical)
Overall Rating: 330 (Very Good)

Note that while the "Overall Rating" is nominally better, in order to threaten the same number of threats it must open itself up to a much weaker special defense, or, in some of the more defensive spreads, by unable to threaten the numerous Sweepers with Intimdate. Without good STABS vs. major threats, having to settle for Thunderpunch or Ice Punch on Gyarados or Salamence renders this ineffective.

Vote Mixed, Vote Liberty

Oh shit misclick :-S
But w/e. Our mon needs to be mixed to scare off walls. Not going to be doing much scouting if its always getting walled...

still voted physical, darkie has it going on plus eh is quite cute and cuddly

i give this c.a.p. the frenchie seal of approval

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I think that either one of them would be a good option.

Personally, I'll back Mixed. It helps prevent any singular switch-in from taking root (just because there's no definitive physical wall doesn't mean that there aren't plenty that could easily wall this. Hippowdon, Skarm, etc.). I think Mixed would be a good way to offset this. So that it could hit from the weaker defense offensively.

Mence will take plenty enough from an Ice Beam anyways.

Mixed. Making it less predictable will hopefully force your opponent second guess keeping their current poke in.
If you "force a switch" all you're going to find is their counter for the pokemon; they won't switch to some random pokemon that will benefit you in the long run.

tredge said:
But w/e. Our mon needs to be mixed to scare off walls. Not going to be doing much scouting if its always getting walled...
This thing won't have the power to hit very hard, so you won't be scaring anything. Even physical walls can take special hits. You won't be able to break them, especially by splitting the spectrum and making each side weak.

Physical, as mixed is pointless.

._. Well, now the polling is even, as I miss clicked mixed. tredge, no need to worry now =P

Really wish Grass had won. Making it a low sp. def x4 fire weaky would draw out Heatran and the like at least 70% off the time. But for a ghost/steel, low sp. def should still lure out those Trans. Plus, being able to take an earthquake if it has to could be pretty useful, as so many different Pokemon learn it. Flamethrower is usually predictable at least. Would go on, but Darkie's points are solid.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Mixed will only end up with a watered down Pokemon that can't do anything, so I voted Physical again. Jack of all trades, master of none comes to mind.

There are good arguments for both Physical and Mixed. Deck Knight's argument seems the most persuasive though, so I went Mixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)