CAP 4 CAP 4 - Part 8 (Art Poll 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
56 K warning (for people hovering their cursors)
I'm working on the presumption people would rather wait for a large thread to load then click on a whole bunch of links here. Also I don't want voting by exclusion. ie. Because somebody didn't see that picture so they change their vote late on >.>

Pure Utility Pokemon
Description: There is a serious lack of Gravity, Rapid Spin, Wish, non Dark weak Trick Room, OU viable Heal Bell / Aromatherapy, Encore, Memento, Non Dark weak Perish Song, Psycho Shift, Safeguard, Magic Coat, Me First, Snatch, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Tailwind and Haze Pokemon in our lovely Metagame. I don't know what type, what stat distribution or even what kind of Pokemon would effectively use all those, but I want to build a utility Pokemon for the useful yet less used utility moves. If I had to narrow the field a bit, I would emphasize Tailwind, Gravity, non Dark weak Trick Room, Rapid Spin, Wish and Encore. The normal utility moves like Reflect and Light Screen go without saying.
Primary Typing: Poison
Secondary Typing: Ground
Style Bias: Mixed, Between -5 and -10 -- Slightly towards defence
Build Bias: Between 5 and 10 -- Slightly towards physical
Base Stat Rating: 300 to 419 -- Very Good
Base Stat Spread: 95 / 76 / 109 / 90 / 80 / 105 = 555 Speed Last.

Now, I was considering very closely whether to let artist descriptions of their work into this thread. But after careful concideration I have decided that the artwork needs to be able to stand on it's own feet. When people scrutinize this Pokemon they're not going to delve too deeply into the background knowledge, so this Pokemon's art needs to "fit" in with what we've already decided upon without explanation.

Where ever possible I have used the most up to date versions of art I could find. Which basically means I worked my way backwards through the art thread. I have cut very little, only those too small/fuzzy to get an accurate idea of or very rough sketches. Yeah, it's going to be a very big list. There's nothing wrong with that.
Bold votes. You have three votes each. Each vote is worth the same amount. You must use all three votes.

*Where there are two designs by the same artist please clearly indicate your preference*

UberMunch's Komodo

Ubermunch's Ninja

Retro 0range's Mole

Retro 0range's Rhino

Atyroki's Pocketknife

Atyroki's Shield Monster

DougJustDoug

Zantimonius

Sanglunaria

KoA's Wolf/Horse

KoA's Dinosaur

Absolution

X-Presumptuous

Hazmat

Darth Meanie

Cerbi01

Cartoons

Elagune

Salamenceslasher

--T.I.B.M--

Ninja Squirtle

Manicalyrasist

omgthatkid

ChronoSquare

Lorak

CyzirVisheen's Oil Skater

Cyzir Visheen's Death Worm

CyzirVisheen's Combo Spider

Empoleon Guru's Mushroom

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Absolution
Atyroki's Shield Monster
Cartoons

Really top knotch work up there. I really want the Smog Imp to win though. Atyroki's is pretty awesome too and of course few will be able to look far past Cartoons' work.

Zantimonius
CyzirVisheen's Death Worm
Cerbi01

That being said, here is why I'm voting for CyzirVisheen's deathworm concept and why you should too. I'm going to assume this is allowed, because in a way this is no different than the typing decision pools where people defended the typings they want. Still, any word on otherwise and I can delete it just as easily.

The Mongolian Deathworm is well-known for being able to kill its prey from a distance by a surge of electricity, justifying Thunder Wave and Thunderbolt. CyzirVisheen's worm bores into rock by spinning its armored segments, making it one of the most logical users of Rapid Spin. I assume that it can also discard segments of its armor in the same way, spreading Spikes and Toxic Spikes. While the worm lacks eyes, the crystal-like structures, a mouthful of teeth and generally imposing look gives it a mean Glare.

Crystals again can justify Magic Coat, Reflect and Light Screen, and the earthworm quite literally can Snatch any grounded targets from underground. Haze is a trademark of Poison types, Knock Off is given to snakelike, elognated Pokemon. The worm appears capable of Blocking escapes, and its teeth allow it Crunch, Ice Fang, Fire Fang and Thunder Fang. Gravity, while not making complete sense, doesn't look weird on it either. Tail Wind's principle seems to be the reduced air resistance (and easier flight) around a fast-moving, large object, which several species of birds and fish (Wonder why Mantine doesn't get it!) take advantage of. The worm can create a similar effect by burrowing with high speeds.

Now, this gives the worm what other designs may have trouble doing - a way to paralyze Garchomp, the obvious switchin, as well as the likes of Dugtrio, not to mention a reliable way to get rid of Gyarados with Thunderbolt off its decent Special Attack. Crunch and Rapid Spin, as well as not being weak to most standard Ghosts (not to mention possible Shed Skin for Will-o-Wisp), allow it to fill the "anti-Ghost Rapid Spinner" niche. The only real downer here seems to be the lack of Encore, Wish and Heal Bell, though some people do dislike a fast Encore.

Another plus of the deathworm design is that it looks its stats. This Pokemon is supposed to be both fast and bulky, and few can give off such an image better than an armored worm. One may argue that it doesn't look the 90 Special Attack it has, but you must keep in mind that the worm isn't a vicious predator that hunts by physical means. It spits poison and uses electricity, which, in Pokemon, is classified as "special".

Spriting the worm also shouldn't be a pain to our spriters due to the simplistic design. Same with animating it - the worm spinning its segments would look pretty nice.

And come on, it's a red drillworm. What other red drills do we know?

tl;dr the deathworm can easily learn what we want it to learn, so vote it!

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
X-Presumptuous - Just so adorable.
Cartoons - I couldn't picture a all-purpose pokemon better, really. He seems like he can pull out anything from all those hands.
CyzirVisheen's Oil Skater- I like unusual and funny designs. Sue me <_<.

Cartoons
KoA's Horse-Wolf
Elagune

Some awesome entries, it was a joy to watch the artists submit they're amazing entries, really hard to pick...

Cartoons
Cerbi01
Atyrokis Shield Monster

Those all look like they rely the most on defense and supporting. Cartoons' Daddy Long Legs/Hands looks like it could be extremly annoying to fight.

Absolution
CyzirVisheen's Oil Skater
DougJustDoug

So many great artworks, it was soo hard to chose just three.

Edit: Does anyone noticed that Oil Skater has a weird mouthpiece thingy?

Absolution
Elagune
Cartoons

I don't want a pure utility pokemon to look like it can rip apart faces. I also picked the ones that looked like they could have the most utility options.

Ubermunch's Ninja
DougJustDoug
KoA's Wolf/Horse

This was ridiculously hard to narrow down. There were four I really liked, so I had to cut out the shield monster unfortunately.

I like Cartoon's, Absolution's, and Atyroki's Shield Monster. :x Some of the other Submissions don't look support-ish enough. They look more like "I'm gonna kill you D:<"

Atyroki's Shield Monster
Retro 0range's Rhino
Cartoons

I really wanted Retro 0range's mole thing too, but whatever. There were some really awesome choices.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Cartoons
DougJustDoug
Maniclyrasist

After much thinking, Elagune's is more suited to a future Dragon-type project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)