CAP 4 CAP 4 - Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either I'm crazy, or someone suggested these abilities. Burrow was supposed to be a Ground orriented Suction Cups and I think the person suggested a 2 turn increase for the other ability.
You're not crazy.

Maybe even a new ability called Burrow, which functions the same as Suction Cups. Various creatures are known to burrow, including spiders. And refer to the second image of Daddy Long Legs in the sand to help you understand my idea if needed.

At least for the Daddy Long-Legs, I think that many of the mentioned abilities just don't suit a "utility" Pokemon. While abilities such as Iron Fist and Technician make a lot of sense, a "utility" Pokemon shouldn't be a sweeper, it should be a swiss army knife of sorts, useful for setting up other Pokemon and getting a kill when it can.

Therefore, I think that Frisk is the best ability for it,helping the "utility" theme; giving it the added power to help set up its teammates by scouting items.

Klutz, while it may seem like an oxymoron for a "hand-based" Pokemon to have, fits its "utility" theme by allowing the move switcheroo to be used usefully and as an item-scouter/ status inflicter (flame orb, toxic orb). The Daddy Long Legs does look like a bit of a klutz anyways, what with all those hands.

While not as helpful, abilities such as Pick Up and Tangled Feet would also make a lot of sense looking at the art, and could take the position of a second choice ability.

With no art, I'm casting votes for Frisk and Trace, with Vital Spirit as a secondary.

Frisk would be awesome seeing as we have no one save Banette who can use it effectively, same with VS, and it'd be cool to throw Trace on our Utility too.

I WAS hoping for Speed Boost on Dandy Long Legs, but then I realized how broken it would be on this guy (yes, I previously thought it wouldn't be, after all Ninjask has Speed Boost and it has 160 SPEED!! Then again, it dies with one successful bolt in the head, unlike this guy will)

Frisk would be awesome on this thing, and makes a ton of sense. So does Klutz, although I forgot what exactly it does. Adaptability seems too sweepy, and so does Iron Fist and Technician. Suction Cups itself doesn't make sense because it doesn't have suction cups, but a similar ability, such as Burrow as someone mentioned earlier, would, 'cause I don't see something with 8 hands being blown away via Whirlwind (if at least 4 of them are holding on to something). That's all I have to say for now, unless I'm allowed suggest any new abilities

Why is this even being voted for now? This should be chosen till *after the art for this Pokemon has been chosen. Abilities usually match the artwork most of the time.

Snorlax = Thick Fat
Ambipom = Technician
Metagross = Clear Body

It's like that for a lot of Pokemon, those are just some examples. Hopefully you guys do the smart thing when creating a Pokemon first and choose the artwork before choosing the ability. Because IMO when I see all the competitive aspects get chosen before the art that is basically trashing the Pokemon name. A lot of Pokemon lore is really what makes them work competitively the way they do. I'm sure the actual Pokemon designers work off the art first, this just seems totally logical for me. And I think continuing to insist that is not the best way to make a Pokemon is arrogant and really leaves the question to me if the person running this C.A.P. is even actually a fan of Pokemon, since it seems like this method does not really put any soul into these monsters at all.

This method is basically giving a bunch of numbers with an ability a sprite.

NO MORE SAND VEIL HAX. Please? Anyways, its more of a smog cloud than a sand cloud.
Well, it's technically supposed to be both. Sand, smog, dirt; just a general mess. But I agree, as much as Sand Veil works flavor-wise, I'd like to avoid it.

People seem quite against the idea of creating a new ability. But that doesn't have to be too far over the top. How about a Sp. Atting version of Intimidate. This will increase it's Walling ability and possibly force switches (On the Likes of Specs Mence) allowing i a turn to utilise moves such as gravity etc...
I'm really against creating new abilities (or anything, really, outside of the actual Pokemon), but this I could get behind. Especially on the Naga design.

For the Imp, Insomnia is easily my favorite choice. Thunderwave, Sleep, and Poison immunity would be pretty awesome, without being game breaking. Really allows the Imp to come in and do his utility thing.

These other could work reasonably well too.
Serene Grace
Poison Point
Cute Charm
Scrappy
Aftermath
White Smoke (the concept works, might have to just change the color though)
Pickup

Persistent~ Increase the length of turns Light Screen, Reflect, Trick Room, Gravity, Tailwind, and Weather move last by 3. Effect from items like Hot Rock are not added onto a move.

There, auto-Light Clay ability.
I really didn't want to like an invented ability, but really... THIS ability is perfect for the concept we have chosen. Maybe extending the effects for only 2 turns instead of 3, I don't know, but it really fits the concept. Plus, it goes well with all the designs.

Raj

CAP Playtesting Expert
I like Trace for Longlegs, Klutz for imp. Just throwing this out there, but how would Simple function?

I really don't see the problem with quick feet if one of the slower spreads wins. More speed on a utility would actually be quite beneficial. It would be able to come in and encore/taunt/me first/gravity first. Hell, I can't think of a support move that you wouldn't want to set up first.

^Problem with that is that Ninja can still Taunt it first, forcing it to use Struggle. Don't know why it would if it didn't have Protect and/or Sub, but it still can...

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Why is this even being voted for now? This should be chosen till *after the art for this Pokemon has been chosen. Abilities usually match the artwork most of the time.
*sigh*
If you had payed the slightest bit of attention you would have noticed a distinct lack of the word "poll" in the title of this thread. Nobodys voting, people are brainstorming and happen to like bolding their ideas so they stand out. It goes by the same principle as the Base Stat Submissions thread:
DougJustDoug said:
The Stat Spread Submission thread is intentionally started very early in the process. Based on past pokemon, it's obvious there are a lot of people that enjoy discussing detailed stat spreads long before the actual stat spread poll. We do not want to police those early bird discussions in the normal threads, therefore we create a dedicated thread for all Stat Spread discussion. Does it matter that we don't know the style, build, or anything else about the pokemon? No. If people waste a bunch of time in this thread on submissions that turn out to be useless when the stat spread poll comes around -- so be it.
Replace "Stat Spread" with "Abilities". People enjoy discussing potential abilities and we don't want to have to police them in the main polling threads. As we discover which artworks seem likely to win the discussion will adapt to reflect that.

I like Technician, as it would be good if it gets Rapid Spin, etc. I've also always wanted more Pokemon with Aftermath/Rough Skin. Its a stretch but we could give it Natural Cure, especially since we already determined you'll be doing alot of switching with this Pokemon.

EDIT: I also get Absolution's thought of Insomnia, as well a Vital Spirit. As I said, you will be doing alot of switching in, and the ability to absorb status would make it all the more safer. It could also prove to be a good lead, as many leads carry Hypnosis, while it would resist it and set up your stratagy from the get-go.

If the imp wins, then this is my choice.

I think Insomnia/Vital Spirit should be bundled together as a choice, because it's just two names for the same effect and, depending on which pokemon art is chosen, the name can be changed to whichever suits it better. For example, for Daddy Long Legs (as it has so affectionately been called) would have Vital Spirit, whereas the poison wheel would make more sense with it being Insomnia.

That's all I have to say at this point... as the designs vary by so much it's hard to say for sure what singular abilities might work for them all.

How about an ability called "Laid Back" which would prevent it from being taunted? =/

If you're laid back enough, and someone tried to piss you off, you'd go "eh" and it wouldn't really effect you, it'd
really help this pokemon seeing as how it looks like taunt would be a major FU to it...

How about an ability called "Laid Back" which would prevent it from being taunted? =/

If you're laid back enough, and someone tried to piss you off, you'd go "eh" and it wouldn't really effect you, it'd
really help this pokemon seeing as how it looks like taunt would be a major FU to it...
If it gets that, I think it would be set to Ubers. Taunt is the (ATM) the best counter for it. Although it may be fast, a scarfed Pokemon (or something like Aerodactyl) can Taunt it.

Insomnia would be cool but I think a little broken. But I like it anyway.

@linton: Not really.

This pokemon is being voted on from having anywhere from a base 105 speed all the way to base 130 speed. This means that you would need a REALLY fast taunter in order to stop this pokemon. That ability might actually be really nice to make sure your support moves don't get stopped.

Besides, defense in this metagame is severely underpowered, so why is giving a defensive primary pokemon an ability to prevent attempts to COMPLETELY CRIPPLE it a bad thing?

@Thunderpup: Yes it will need a really fast Pokemon to Taunt it. But if it gets that ability there wont be much of a set count ATM.

Yes it is underpowered but giving a Pokemon an ability to ruin (possibly) the best counter for it is crap. It's almost like giving Garchomp Thick Fat or an ability so it takes no damage from Ice attacks.

Okay, well how does this sound?
It will have anywhere from 70-80 attack, and 60-90 special attack. Deoxys speed has base 90's. It's actually pretty balanced. By no means will it be SOLELY utility. It's going to be able to attack as well, and as far as any utility pokemon goes, they usually run two attacking moves for coverage. Taunt will by no means cripple this pokemon. Taunt will force it to switch out or attack.

And don't compare utility moves to garchomp. Garchomp wrecks your shit. Utility supports your team. AND for your information, garchomp has something to protect it's ass, it's called yache berry. Not to mention sand veil gives it a 25% evasion chance.

Now this pokemon, it's got 1 weakness, 1 immunity, and 4 resists, on top of absorbing toxic spikes and resisting stealth rocks. However, bronzong WALLS THE SHIT out of it, with DOUBLE IMMUNITY to both it's STAB's. It's got average attacking stats, good defenses and good speed. It doesn't need a million counters, it's weaknesses are already known. This is supposed to be a team supporter pokemon, so why not give it an ability which helps it's team?

Okay, well how does this sound?
It will have anywhere from 70-80 attack, and 60-90 special attack. Deoxys speed has base 90's. It's actually pretty balanced. By no means will it be SOLELY utility. It's going to be able to attack as well, and as far as any utility pokemon goes, they usually run two attacking moves for coverage. Taunt will by no means cripple this pokemon. Taunt will force it to switch out or attack.

And don't compare utility moves to garchomp. Garchomp wrecks your shit. Utility supports your team. AND for your information, garchomp has something to protect it's ass, it's called yache berry. Not to mention sand veil gives it a 25% evasion chance.

Now this pokemon, it's got 1 weakness, 1 immunity, and 4 resists, on top of absorbing toxic spikes and resisting stealth rocks. However, bronzong WALLS THE SHIT out of it, with DOUBLE IMMUNITY to both it's STAB's. It's got average attacking stats, good defenses and good speed. It doesn't need a million counters, it's weaknesses are already known. This is supposed to be a team supporter pokemon, so why not give it an ability which helps it's team?
I think that's actually a reason why it shouldn't get the ability.

Yes I shouldn't have compared this to Garchomp. But if it had the ability to take jack shit from Ice attacks ALL the time WITHOUT an item it would be as good as Uber.

There are other abilities that help it's team without making it a harder fucker to take down.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
What? This Pokemon has four weaks, Ice, Water, Ground and Psychic.

Despite that it's not getting an ability to kill off a surefire 100% counter...

for the daddy long legs i have to say: technician or and ability of my own invention: Bitchslap: the opponent gets the bitch* status when it uses a punching move

*the bitch status prevents the foe from using a super effective move (and yes i know that would make it broken)

for the oho jee i can see frisk or maybe auto-gravity

for the sybiote snake i see marvel scale or sand veil working flavour wise.

I agree with Sticky Hold on the Daddy Long Hands, but as for the Smog Imp, I was thinking about Aftermath as a suggestion, due to it's toxic-fumey tail and then I thought instead of doing damage, he could have an ability that drops Toxic on the foe who downs it. I don't think that would be too overpowered, I mean it wouldn't even effect certain foe's(duh). I dunno, just a suggestion.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
... or and ability of my own invention: Bitchslap: the opponent gets the bitch* status when it uses a punching move

*the bitch status prevents the foe from using a super effective move (and yes i know that would make it broken)
Then why suggest something like this? Its broken beyond belief, not the mention the fact that you can't program in new "status" modifiers willy-nilly. Layed Back would work on something slower, like Slowbro, Slowking, or Bibarel, not something fast and active looking.

Frist, Insomnia, Iron Fist, Sand Veil and Scrappy

To me, these sound the most fitting ones. ( like I said, to me ) =O

ps: All for Daddy Long Legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)