CAP 32 Prevos - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
We have two pre-evolutions for CAP 32! When submitting designs for CAP 32's pre-evolutions, you must submit both designs as a pair. The first image must represent the first stage design of CAP 32, and the second image must represent the second stage design.

The rules have been updated to account for two images, with the appropriate changes highlighted in green.

As a reminder, here is CAP 32's main design:

----

This thread is open for WIPs, comments, and final submissions for the design of CAP 32 prevos.

Posting Rules

***All material in both the main design and supporting material must be your own. Using another piece of art for inspiration is allowed, but derivative art is not, and blatant plagiarism will result in warnings or bans depending on the severity.***

Collaborative material is not permitted. The following are examples of what counts as collaborative material (this list is not exhaustive):
  • a work made by multiple artists
  • a vision and art direction by a non-artist and execution by an artist
  • a text prompt by a non-artist and execution by image generation software
  • a work by an artist and style transfer by image generation software
At the discretion of the CAP moderator team, posters may be asked to prove a design is they submitted is their own. Posters that fail to provide sufficient evidence of design ownership will be disqualified.

Posting Frequency

Intentionally or unintentionally, thread-hogging tends to be more prevalent in the art submission thread compared to other CAP threads. In order to ensure that everyone has a reasonable chance to showcase their designs and air their opinions, thread-hogging will be moderated. If you wish to add new comments or art, but don't want to hog the thread, please consider editing your most recent post to add new content.

Posting Rules: Artists
  • Artists can post any work-in-progress (WIP) artwork in order to solicit feedback or to help develop ideas. WIP artwork does not need to conform to the standards of a Main Design. It can be in any medium or stage of completion, but it must be related to an original art design by the poster.
  • Do not post to state your intended design. You may not reserve an idea for yourself.
  • Do not post questions asking for help in making art. For art resources on Smogon, check out Smeargle's Studio.
  • Do not post inconsequential updates to designs. Only if you have made a significant change should you post an update in the thread.
  • Do not bump art or beg for feedback. If no one comments on your design, consider the silence to be your feedback. Also, check out the CAP Discord channel or the CAP PS Room for open real-time discussion on CAP art.
  • Images posted are subject to the following rules:
    • They must be in .jpg, .png, or .gif format.
    • They must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as Smogon forums or Imgur). Do not use the 'Attach a photo' tool on messaging apps (e.g. Discord). Do not use Iaza or Ezimba.
  • Each post should contain no more than two (2) full-sized images, meaning:
    • The image is at most 640 pixels in both width and height.
  • Artists should post links to additional art or use linking thumbnails. Each thumbnail can be no larger than 160 pixels in either dimension. Any number of thumbnails can be included in a post.
  • The sizing rules apply to the original image only. Using the forum "resize" tool will not change the original size of the image.
  • The use of hide tags does not circumvent or alter any of the image posting rules.
Posting Rules: Commenters
  • Please DO post constructive feedback for artists.
  • Do not post ideas or images to serve as inspiration for artists or attempt to commission an artist in the thread to render your idea.
  • Do not declare any artwork as "the winner" or make similar comments to that effect. Such posts are insulting to all the other competing artists.
  • Do not comment that a design does or does not "look like a Pokemon/Digimon". There is no artistic style guide for Pokemon and therefore such comments are unable to be substantiated or refuted.
  • Do not repost images from the thread. When quoting a post, remove any images.
Final Submission Post

All artists must make a final submission post conforming to the following rules, including those for the Main Design, in order to be included in the art poll.
  • The post must have "Final Submission" (in bold) as the first line, the Main Designs included in image tags below that.
  • Any supporting material, if applicable, must be in a section below the main design with the header "Supporting Material". Including this header gives you an additional link back to your submission post from the poll.
  • All supporting art must be included as links or as linked thumbnails no larger than 160 pixels in either dimension. Do not include full images of supporting art in the final submission.
  • Only make one (1) final submission post. Artists are welcome to work on multiple designs and get feedback from the community, but only one design can be submitted for final consideration. If you wish to alter any aspect of your final submission, then edit your post. Do not make a new one, even if you delete your original post. Any deleting and re-posting will be treated as bumping and is subject to moderation.
By making a final submission:
  • The artist gives the CAP project permission to use the submitted art for CAP and related projects. The artist also consents that the design can be interpreted by other artists for the CAP project and for other promotional purposes.
  • Should the design become the winning design, the artist should be prepared to answer any flavor questions about his/her design for the remainder of the CAP cycle. This includes but is not limited to:
    • 3D model
    • Pokedex data (weight/height/color)
Artists cannot submit any artwork that has been previously or that is currently used by another project not affiliated with CAP. The winning CAP artist agrees to not later use the winning design for another project or contest not affiliated with CAP.

Main Design

The main design is intended to follow the same general posing and layout as the "Official Art" for existing in-game Pokemon. It must be suitable for display on the CAP Pokedex section of the CAP Website and any other CAP propaganda where a picture of the Pokemon is needed.

The comparison to 'Official Pokemon Art' is only applicable to the basic content of the main design; it does not imply any standards or guidelines regarding artistic style or rendering technique.

The following rules of content must be followed for the Main Design:
  • The image must consist of a single Pokemon on a plain white background. The background cannot be transparent.
  • The image must be a 2D digital or scanned traditional drawing. 3D media and photos are not allowed. Pixel art is permitted, as long as it is not intended to mimic the look of in-game sprites.
  • No part of the Pokemon may be cut off by the canvas.
  • The Pokemon must be in full color.
  • The design must have a distinct outline on the entire subject in contrast to the subject and background. Colored outlines are allowed but must not obstruct the clarity of the design.
  • No part of the design can be blurred into the background or blended into the background in any way.
  • No props, action effects, move effects, or additional objects can be rendered on or around the Pokemon. If a prop is part of the Pokemon's basic design (i.e. Conkeldurr's pillars), then it is acceptable.
  • The image must not include offensive or obscene imagery, or be intended to mock or insult the project or other users.
  • The image must be in .jpg, .png or .gif format.
  • The image must be at least 320 pixels and at most 640 pixels in both width and height.
  • The image without whitespace must be at least 50% of the width and height of the canvas.
  • The image must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as Smogon forums or Imgur). Do not use the 'Attach a photo' tool on messaging apps (e.g. Discord). Do not use Iaza, Ezimba.
The rules for main designs will be strictly enforced. Do not make comparisons to in-game Pokemon designs or to past CAP designs to determine if your design is in compliance with these rules. Some in-game Pokemon designs and past CAP designs do not conform with the current CAP art submission rules, and emulating those designs is not an acceptable excuse for breaking the strict interpretation of the current rules.

Supporting Material

There are almost no rules when it comes to supporting material. Action scenes, movement studies, interaction with other Pokemon, animations, sculptures, and cartoon strips are all allowed. Non-art supporting material is also allowed. This includes detailed descriptions of the art, background data, stories, etc. All supporting art and information must be related to the main design in some way.

Art Polls

All art polls will contain the Main Design and, if applicable, a link below it titled "Supporting Material". This will link to the artists final submission post, if applicable. All final submissions conforming to the rules above will be slated.

WIP

This little baby takes designs from classic kindergarten uniforms (specially in japan), mainly trough the look of the little hat they have, and how it resembles the blood cell on the head onf my design.

Said blood cell is also a bit round, resembling bloodcells in their inmature state, where they still have a core and are not yet concave.

The torso and arms are resembling of white blood cells which are more round and tentacular, said tentacles function as arms so they arent tubular like its evolutions.

Finally, the head and legs take inspiration from the overall morphology of cap32 (being slightly humanoid looking) but i made it light blue, resembling a bit plasma (the liquid in witch both red and white cells swim, creating blood) and/or platelets, that help keep the veins and vessels safe.

This other fella, is more similar to what cap32 will end up looking, but i used more blue colors to both, differentiate itself and to be a conective tissue with its prevo.

This one takes inspiration in both a heart and lung system where the head is meant to resemble the heart (less detailed than the evo) and the "jacket" is meant to be the lungs (generally oxigenated blood is represented as blue, so makes sence to show lungs the same way).

In general this design takes inspiration from general "punk" aesthetic, being the middle one on its evolutionary line, its a teenager on a rebellious phase the red veins on the jacket are meant to look like hoodie laces, and the blue one on the head its the classic angry vein used in anime and cartoons, all to show how this middle evo is more aggresive than either of its other stages.

I hope yall enjoy these little guys as much as i do! and good luck to everyone else who participates!

WIP

blorengepreevo1.png

Mouth looks and opens like a broken heart. The mouth pattern looks similar to the head of the final evo, and the blue wave even looks like a little mustache! Body shape is slightly based on a cross between a crocodile and a puppy? idk this looked cool to me lol
blorengepreevo2.png

Made these two in one quick go. Wanted to have a little fun with these, so I made the evolution line look like a heart family. The pre-evos have that "boy and his dog" motif. Not sure how much I'd change with them, but I'm open to any and all feedback. :]

Shadowshocker

It shall rest here in peace. Forever, if you wish.
is a Top Artistis a Smogon Media Contributor
WIP

Based around other three-stage lines such as the Slakoth line and Tinkatink line. The first stage is a little heart floating completely at ease surrounded by a protective aorta/heat aura, and after it evolves it has no idea what to do with the built up stress. I see it similar to mid-stagers like Magneton and Vigoroth where they're faster than their final form, so mid-CAP32 is more hyperactive compared to the final form that has slowed down from stress-induced damage or buildup. (Also note: if you pet the middle stage he will die)

Last edited:
Final Submission

Supporting Material

This little guy is a simple pokemon based around the main contents of the blood.
*A red hat, meant to represent both a japanese kindergarten hat and a red blood cell while on its premature phase (both referencing how this is a very young pokemon)
*The head and the legs, which i reffer to as "the main body" are light blue, as a refference to water, more specifically, plasma the liquid that contains the cells in blood, so in this case is the connective tissue between red and white cells (i know plasma by itself has a yellow coloration but blue works too and yellow would look gross)
*The torso is made to look like a white blood cell, little spheres with tentacles, so i used those to represent arms (as a side note, it has a fifth tentacle on the back that cant be seen in my artwork)

My middle evo design connects both my prevo and the final stage by having a more mixed use of blue and white, in a similar order to the prevo while changing the various limbs and head structure to look more like its evolution.
at the same time, the blue on the main body is meant to represent the respiratory system, representing the air and oxigenated blood with the color blue, while also having the shape slightly like the lungs.
its also meant to represent a hoodie, with two red veins serving as the neck laces (and it has an angry vein design in the back too, made with red veins but this was shown in discord).
The face structure makes it look confident and a bit angry, its designed to look like a punk with the head tubes looking like a mohawk, the blue angry vein is a classic anime trope that just fits perfectly in this pokemon, the two red veins "eyebrows" help give the mon a more confident look and a lot more expression.
finally, the legs are made to be stumpier and to have only one toenail each, this helps as a progression between stages (no nails, one nail, two nails) and that single nail, mixed with the blue feet (that are also present in the final stage) give a slight look of converse shoes, another detail to the punk aesthetic

good luck everyone!

Last edited:

Kiwi

free فلسطين
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
WIP
1684220610408.png

Increased cells --> Increased fire power. Based on fetal heart development. Starts with 2 tubes and those tubes end up slowly connecting to a main section, and finally becoming the complete fully evolved Pokemon. It also goes from what's obviously meant to be a baby to a childhood, to adulthood, because the heart actually grows throughout childhood. Hopefully that makes sense

WIP

This little baby takes designs from classic kindergarten uniforms (specially in japan), mainly trough the look of the little hat they have, and how it resembles the blood cell on the head onf my design.

Said blood cell is also a bit round, resembling bloodcells in their inmature state, where they still have a core and are not yet concave.

The torso and arms are resembling of white blood cells which are more round and tentacular, said tentacles function as arms so they arent tubular like its evolutions.

Finally, the head and legs take inspiration from the overall morphology of cap32 (being slightly humanoid looking) but i made it light blue, resembling a bit plasma (the liquid in witch both red and white cells swim, creating blood) and/or platelets, that help keep the veins and vessels safe.

This other fella, is more similar to what cap32 will end up looking, but i used more blue colors to both, differentiate itself and to be a conective tissue with its prevo.

This one takes inspiration in both a heart and lung system where the head is meant to resemble the heart (less detailed than the evo) and the "jacket" is meant to be the lungs (generally oxigenated blood is represented as blue, so makes sence to show lungs the same way).

In general this design takes inspiration from general "punk" aesthetic, being the middle one on its evolutionary line, its a teenager on a rebellious phase the red veins on the jacket are meant to look like hoodie laces, and the blue one on the head its the classic angry vein used in anime and cartoons, all to show how this middle evo is more aggresive than either of its other stages.

I hope yall enjoy these little guys as much as i do! and good luck to everyone else who participates!
I want these :3

Final Submission

its still a blood cell and a circulatory system

Supporting Material
the first stage is shaped like a red blood cell with a blushy face in the indentation: i thought itd be cute too make it look shy and tucked away into a little hood. assume it is normally pure white but gets "flustered" like the final stage, i wanted to kill two (red and white blood cell shaped) birds with one stone

the second stage is meant to resemble a series of connected arteries, it is specifically based off of the circle of willis (which already happens to look like a little stick figure person). theres also a couple heart shapes snuck into the design <3

once again, the progression here is just: blood cell -> arteries -> heart
i know my designs are pretty varied in shaped, but, even if the thematic connection isnt noticed, i feel like they look related atleast on the surface level basis of sharing the same color scheme and eyes

full res + size comparison
cap32_full.png

Last edited:

sun_dew

formerly JAGFL
is a Pre-Contributor
Final Submission
6A79AC3D-1EA6-4E7F-91D7-1B0A5DF41F4A.png

8DC59E89-646E-4B9A-86F8-FFCDE95A65A3.png

Supporting Material
a heart tadpole that becomes a frog heart and then a human heart!
also has a progression from fully cartoony heart to fully anatomically correct heart
inspired by tunicates (some very uncannily heart-like sea creatures with larvae that happen to look a lot like tadpoles) and ofc frogs

side-by-side comparison
48071049-626A-4430-8B85-C55E5C86CDCA.png

Final Submission

blorengepreevo1finalsmall.png

blorengepreevo2finalsmall.png

Supporting Material
1st stage - a weird cross between a puppy and a crocodile? Main design inspiration is the head/mouth resembling a broken heart. Even has a lil mustache!
2nd stage - a younger, more innocent form of BlorengeRhymes's design. A very good boy, would love to give hugs. <3
-The two have a "boy and his dog" theme and the whole line has a family dynamic.

-Side by side comparison :)
1684982564932.png

Last edited:

Shadowshocker

It shall rest here in peace. Forever, if you wish.
is a Top Artistis a Smogon Media Contributor
Final Submission

Supporting Material
A heart baby that starts out at peace that develops into an adolescent stage full of unstable and worrisome and stressful emotions that doesn't know what to do with them, before finally solidifying into its final form as a weighty, musclebound living heart that lives with its accumulated stress. Not much else to add here on top of my explanations in my initial post, to avoid potential polljumps and stat proposals. But once again, I should remind you that if you pat the middle stage on the head, he will explode from sheer joy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)