CAP 32 - Part 9 - Stat Spread Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Submission

70 / 61 / 55 / 80 / 113 / 121 (500 BST)

Defining Moves:
Boomburst, Knock Off, Will-o-Wisp, Taunt, 50% Recovery, Stealth Rocks, Spikes, U-Turn
PSSSPTSTBSR

A specially defensive spread, focused on using the unique defensive qualities of Fire/Fairy and a high natural speed stat to open up more opportunities to exert offensive pressure. To make up for what will most likely be a limited time on the field, this spread is built around the use of a wide support movepool. Its glaring physical frailty, lack of reliable recovery outside of Wish, and struggles relating to 4MSS are intended to keep its support abilities limited. Alternatively, this spread can run a Choice Specs or Choice Scarf set. For the cost of longevity, the former receives massively powerful Boombursts and serviceable power behind its Fire STAB. For the same cost, the latter receives heightened, albeit more specific, support capabilities.
CAP32 will never 2HKO Cinderace with a maximum investment neutral natured Boomburst. (252 SpA Pixilate Delphox Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Cinderace: 125-147 (41.5 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO)
Choice Specs Boomburst from CAP32 will nearly always OHKO Kingambit. (252 SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Delphox Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kingambit: 339-400 (99.4 - 117.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO)
Choice Specs Fire Blast from CAP32 will never 2HKO Venomicon. (252 SpA Choice Specs Delphox Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Venomicon: 151-178 (40.3 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO)
CAP32 will never be 3HKOd by Gholdengo's Make It Rain with maximum investment. (252 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Delphox: 133-157 (38.6 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO)
CAP32 will never be OHKOd by Krilowatt's Surf with maximum HP. (252 SpA Life Orb Krilowatt Surf vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Delphox: 257-304 (74.7 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO)
CAP32 will always be OHKOd by Banded Dragapult's Phantom Force. (252+ Atk Choice Band Dragapult Phantom Force vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Delphox: 369-435 (107.2 - 126.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO)
When running maximum HP and enough speed to creep Krilowatt, CAP32 will usually avoid a 3HKO from Life Orb Jumbao. (252 SpA Life Orb Jumbao Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 120 SpD Delphox: 99-117 (28.7 - 34%) -- 1.6% chance to 3HKO)
CAP32 will always avoid a 2HKO from Specs Iron Valiant's Focus Blast with maximum HP. (252 SpA Choice Specs Iron Valiant Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Delphox: 125-147 (36.3 - 42.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO)
CAP32 will always outspeed Jolly Roaring Moon without any boosts. (375 vs. 370)
CAP32 will never outspeed Greninja without a Choice Scarf. (375 vs. 377)
CAP32 can outspeed Krilowatt with maximum speed and a neutral nature (341 vs. 339)
CAP32 can outspeed Garchomp with maximum speed and a neutral nature (341 vs. 333)

Last edited:

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Hey, the thread's getting quite clogged up. The moderation team will begin deleting and merging posts to clean it up. We're going to be putting the original version of spreads (with justification) in hide tags and then merging more recent versions.

spoo

is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Wanted to share some thoughts on what I like in stat spreads, what I think CAP32 needs to succeed, a few overall trends I'm noticing, etc etc.

To preface - in my eagerness to try out cap32, I've been messing around with Fletchinder + Hatterene in Cross Evolution and giving it Pixilate and illegal movesets to mimic potential cap32 spreads:
Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 4.36.54 PM.png

/challenge [Gen 9] Cross Evolution@@@StandardNatDex,!Obtainable Moves,!Obtainable Abilities,!Sleep Moves Clause,+CAP

Sample sets (you can tweak these however you want - other mons like Pignite, Monferno, etc, also work)

I've played 10-15 games and kept loading into really poor matchups (i.e. not a big enough or particularly effective sample), but I have tried to pay attention to what CAP32 has been most useful for, both in building and playing. The slow-ish mixed set with Boomburst + Espeed is what I have been testing the most. Take these thoughts with a grain of salt because of the very limited data I am working off of.

I think Speed is going to be really important here - either Espeed for physical sets, or a decently high Speed stat on special stats. CAP32 saw the most action in the games I played when it was able to come in after a kill and force something out. Slow, bulky, nuke-y special spreads have their own strengths, but I really like being able to force stuff out effectively. Espeed also carried super hard; my ideal Speed for physical/mixed spreads is probably between 50 and 75, and just letting Espeed take care of the rest. I think purely special spreads are ideally over 110 but this is not always reasonable.

IMO special bulk > physical bulk here, by like, a pretty good margin. In the games I played, there were relatively few physical hits that I felt the need to take on. On the other hand, there were a lot of times that I wanted to switch into something like Tomohawk's Hurricane, Pult/Dengo Shadow Ball, Bao/Valiant Moonblasts, wanting to live a Libra or Dirge EP, wanting to live Kril hits after Tera, and so on. I think spreads should probably find a good Kingambit benchmark for physical bulk and spend the majority in special defense.

Building was a bit weird overall, though that's to be expected for a new mon. Fairy Espeed was honestly the biggest reason I could find to justify putting CAP32 on a team. Knocking off Dirge and Venom is also great team support. Pivot support is really good for us - Pult, Washtom, and Corv were all pretty useful partners. You definitely need something to take on opposing Dirge, Venom, Kril, and Pex, which are not always the easiest mons to find hard answers for. Kril was surprisingly annoying because the mon can avoid chip so easily, and you really need chip on it if you want Espeed to clean up late game.

I also put together a visual of everyone's spreads so far (sorry if I missed any recent edits). Lots of stuff in the 80-90 Speed range, lots of similar Attack benchmarks as well. I think there's more room for shitty Noivern spreads between 110-120 Speed, mixed Samurott type spreads, and maybe some purely special Specs Lele spreads. Overall a great selection though, I'm feeling optimistic about where the project is headed.

Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 5.27.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 5.28.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 5.29.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 5.29.50 PM.png

Not knocking anyone's specific spread, but there are a lot of spreads that are the same flavor of kinda bulky physical attacker with 80 to 89 Speed. These all kind of compete together and I cannot forsee a reason for us to slate a lot of similar spreads. I cannot speak for stats leader, but I would raise an eyebrow at a slate with more than one these style spreads that undershoots Great Tusk and Gholdengo and one that outspeeds them.
Despite being a culprit of this pitfall, I agree. However, I believe the reason these spreads are so common is that they're the safest and most likely to succeed. The speed tier is born from Extreme Speed allowing us wriggle room with our speed tier so it doesn't need to be fast (hence why fast physical spreads aren't seen often) and allows us to achieve the serviceable bulk without breaking the BSR bank.

I think we have a lot more room to explore with spreads, including ones that focus on more equal Attack and Special Attack (like mine, but even faster or slower!), high Speed physical spreads, Krilowatt-creeping spreads, Defensive Tera-focused bulky spreads, etc.
You're 100% correct about the creativity with spreads, but I'm not sure how some of these examples would work. This isn't saying that they can't work, rather they have problems that need to be worked around that our bread-and-butter semi-bulky 80-89 speed 103 attack fellas don't have, at least to the same degree.

Fast physical spreads could definitely work since Double Edge has a significant power boost over Espeed, although i don't see how it'd be more useful than the more powerful, no-recoil fast special spreads that pixilate Boomburst offers. I guess you could use your physical Fire STAB on Equilibra, which would probably be an easier and more accurate 2HKO on the justice scale thingy, but that's only one Mon vs. Pixie Boomburst's benefits.

There are a few krilowatt creeping spreads already on the table, but I find it to be an awkward speed tier to build around. You're going to have to sacrafice something to attain that speed tier. with the astronomically fast base 124 speed tier, you're sacraficing bulk in order to get that lovely lovely speed tier while also having enough power. That's what makes the 80-89 speed spread so good, you have just enough speed to hit things with your stronger moves, while faster targets are weak to your powerful priority. With the Krill-kreeping spread, while you are fast, you're not keeping up with things like Valiant. and unlike the 80-89 speed spread, you A) Aren't killing Val in one hit or B) don't have the bulk to take its hits.

You need 103 attack to take Val out in 1 hit. Using my spread since it falls under the fat base 80 umbrella, upping the speed from 85 to 106 puts the BSR up to 515.
In order to bring it down to 480, I'd need to A) either lower the attack stat to 85 to fit under the limitation while keeping the defensive utility (a no-go becuase i want to OHKO Valiant with Espeed) OR B) remove bulk until it becomes legal.
This is what I managed to come up with:
HP ATK DEF SPA SPDEF SPE

The special bulk was barely shaved so you still live 36 Spa libra earth power, so physical bulk took the hit. The main crux is you go from a banded Roaring Moon 3hkoing you to a 2hko, but there are other minor ramifications, such as great tusk having a chance (albeit only 6.3%) to OHKO you.

Considering this, there needs to be a serious benefit to the speed tier. The thing is, then, what benefit do we get from outspeeding Kril?
With 103 Attack, we can 2HKO it with pixie-Double Edge, although with Kril's 151 HP, the recoil will be horrific. You'll be left with 31% HP just from recoil alone.
So we can't kill it without killing ourselves, at least we can pivot on it." This is true, but I don't know if the opportunity cost is worth it. Is it worth being much frailer just to be able to pivot on Krilowatt? Would we rather have gone all in on Speed and threw defensive utility to the wind (even though you can still have "Ok" bulk on 124 Spe spreads)? In my opinion, it's not, but there may be an angle I'm not seeing.

As for defensive Tera spreads... I'm also not sure. During threats assessment we realized we don't really switch into much. Obviously, thats why you specified a defensive Tera spread, although I don't think CAP32 being a Tera sink would help its viability, and would just be outclassed by Garg, which is a better defensive Tera pokemon due to Statistics.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
I think there are two assumptions being made here irt to Attack where the value of a higher Speed stat appears diminished:
1. ExtremeSpeed always needs to KO Iron Valiant from full
2. Double-Edge is our strongest physical move

For point 1, OHKOing 100% Iron Valiant is nice but there are a lot of positions where you can place CAP32 where it matters significantly less. Hazards, for example. Iron Valiant literally never runs Boots, so accommodating for hazards is reasonable. From that view, you only need 94 base Attack to KO with rocks up, and 83 with a single layer of Spikes. This affords you a lot of BSR in other stats, such as Speed. There is also of course the idea of using other items or Tera to secure the OHKO, but hazards is always the safest assumption. And you have the trade off of still just being really fricken fast.

For point 2, our strongest physical move is often Flare Blitz/Heat Crash since, well, its CAP and that means you can build really effective sun teams. CAP32 would compete with other Fire-types, which is where Speed really comes into play. A very fast CAP32 can utilize its Speed and Fairy STAB to carve out a niche on those teams. If you want a more Fire-type focus, then high Speed has a lot of value.

also our strongest Fairy move is Explosion but that's a secret

There are a few krilowatt creeping spreads already on the table, but I find it to be an awkward speed tier to build around. You're going to have to sacrafice something to attain that speed tier. with the astronomically fast base 124 speed tier, you're sacraficing bulk in order to get that lovely lovely speed tier while also having enough power. That's what makes the 80-89 speed spread so good, you have just enough speed to hit things with your stronger moves, while faster targets are weak to your powerful priority. With the Krill-kreeping spread, while you are fast, you're not keeping up with things like Valiant. and unlike the 80-89 speed spread, you A) Aren't killing Val in one hit or B) don't have the bulk to take its hits.

Considering this, there needs to be a serious benefit to the speed tier. The thing is, then, what benefit do we get from outspeeding Kril?
With 103 Attack, we can 2HKO it with pixie-Double Edge, although with Kril's 151 HP, the recoil will be horrific. You'll be left with 31% HP just from recoil alone.
So we can't kill it without killing ourselves, at least we can pivot on it." This is true, but I don't know if the opportunity cost is worth it. Is it worth being much frailer just to be able to pivot on Krilowatt? Would we rather have gone all in on Speed and threw defensive utility to the wind (even though you can still have "Ok" bulk on 124 Spe spreads)? In my opinion, it's not, but there may be an angle I'm not seeing.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I think we can still outspeed Krill and have 103 attack at the same time. 103 attack and 106 speed corresponds to 114 Physical Sweepiness, which unless I'm doing something wrong, should be within our limits.

Krill isn't really a Pokemon we're going to 1v1 anyway, even if we do increase our bulk. OHKOing Krill with Double Edge would take 220 attack even with Adamant, which is obviously far beyond what we can do. And as you mentioned, we would take crazy recoil. We would also need Ting-Lu levels of bulk to take two Surfs even with investment.

And it's not like Krill is the only Pokemon we're outspeeding either with 106 speed. Our speed factor is 88.1% at 106. It's just that the Pokemon is so common that it seems reasonable to me to outspeed it, especially since it would be such a big threat to us otherwise. Regardless, I think we'll have to switch out on Krill, so the question is simply would we rather switch into it at -1 or at neutral.

Speed is unique in that increasing the stat by just a couple of points can radically change how that Pokemon performs, as opposed to attack where adding a couple points really just increases the probability of damage rolls. Base 100 is commonly cited as a speed benchmark for a lot of Pokemon, so a "speedy" spread should likely have at least that number. And increasing this number by 6 points so we can outspeed an incredibly common threat seems well worth it to me.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
I think there are two assumptions being made here irt to Attack where the value of a higher Speed stat appears diminished:
1. ExtremeSpeed always needs to KO Iron Valiant from full
2. Double-Edge is our strongest physical move
Thanks for the response, ignoring hazards was a large discrepancy on my part. However, the only reason I brought up Double Edge was for the Kril 1v1, seeing as it's our strongest spammable move that is Neutral vs. Kril. I doubt that double edge will see use on most physical sets, honestly. I should also clarify I'm not against a super fast spread, quite the opposite really as 124 speed is absolutely tantalizing for a hyper voice/boomburst spread, but rather i think fast spreads are done better Specially, since Boomburst exists.

also our strongest Fairy move is Explosion but that's a secret
1682473058646.png

Maybe I'm missing something, but I think we can still outspeed Krill and have 103 attack at the same time. 103 attack and 106 speed corresponds to 114 Physical Sweepiness, which unless I'm doing something wrong, should be within our limits.
Thank you for your response also. I never said we couldn't not outspeed Kril. I acknowledged this in the first post by taking my spread and changing it so it did have 106 speed, as shown below:

Krill isn't really a Pokemon we're going to 1v1 anyway
I also acknowledged this
"So we can't kill it without killing ourselves, at least we can pivot on it." This is true, but I don't know if the opportunity cost is worth it. Is it worth being much frailer just to be able to pivot on Krilowatt? Would we rather have gone all in on Speed and threw defensive utility to the wind (even though you can still have "Ok" bulk on 124 Spe spreads)? In my opinion, it's not, but there may be an angle I'm not seeing.
And it's not like Krill is the only Pokemon we're outspeeding either with 106 speed
something that was on my mind when i was writing but didnt write because im goofy. The thing with 106 speed tier is the stuff you wanna revenge kill is still a bit faster than you. Meow, RR, Valiant, and +1 Bax come to mind. If I can't 1v1 the thing I'm meant to outspeed, and the things I want to revenge kill are still faster than me, why not just be slower and use the extra BSR for bulk? Or, why not go all in and opt for 124 speed, so I outspeed everything (bar +1 Bax) anyways?

I also acknowledged this

something that was on my mind when i was writing but didnt write because im goofy. The thing with 106 speed tier is the stuff you wanna revenge kill is still a bit faster than you. Meow, RR, Valiant, and +1 Bax come to mind. If I can't 1v1 the thing I'm meant to outspeed, and the things I want to revenge kill are still faster than me, why not just be slower and use the extra BSR for bulk? Or, why not go all in and opt for 124 speed, so I outspeed everything (bar +1 Bax) anyways?
Ah, that makes a lot more sense. I figured it was something like that but wasn't quite sure.

I guess I felt like 106 (or 107) speed is the sweet spot. Fast enough to outspeed our slower checks while retaining enough strength to threaten faster threats with Extreme Speed such as Iron Valiant. We don't particularly care about a lot of the faster Pokemon that outspeed us either. Even initial threats such as Stratagem eventually fear Extreme Speed with enough chip.

The reason outspeeding Krill in particular is useful in my opinion is not because we are able to beat it 1v1. It's going to beat us 1v1 anyway unless we give ourselves Ting-Lu levels of bulk as well as full investment. However, if we outspeed it, we are able to pivot more safely into another Pokemon. A -1 Krill is much easier to switch into. The same goes for many other bulkier Pokemon that outspeed us at 88 but not at 106.

I used to be very much on board with bulkier spreads. And of course, I absolutely think they have potential. However, I definitely think faster spreads could be incredibly useful. The key here, in my opinion, is our ability to enable safer switching. Rather than raw switching on the faster Pokemon that threaten us, we can instead make safer switches that also account for doubles with Parting Shot. I think there are far better Pokemon to handle Pokemon such as Great Tusk or Equilibra than a Fire type with mediocre stats anyway, even if we do go on the bulkier side with our spread. Feel like we should focus on maximizing what we're good at rather than minimizing what we're bad at. That is, focus on applying offensive pressure and pivoting over switching in and tanking hits.

Very much appreciate your response. Raised some good points.

Ok, so I feel the most useful thing y'all can do to help me inform the slate is to really Hype up someone else's spread and tell me why you think it should make slate.
Rn I think I like dex's and ausma's the most.

dex's goes for the Breloom approach, which we established in CA is a valid route to take. dex's checks off pretty much every box for me, it gets Baxcalibur, it's decently bulky, the low Speed matters less when we have a strong priority attack, and it has Bitter Blade and Knock Off, my two favorite optional defining moves. And of course it has the most important part, a BSR that isn't afraid to push it low, which I feel like is the best way to approach the concept.

While I am generally not a fan of special or mixed spreads, I do like ausma's. It is similar to dex's but with a bit lower power, a bit more Speed, and the ability to go mixed. I know I've spoken ill of Boomburst in the past, it's not that it's a bad route necessarily, I just think Extreme Speed is far better, and since this one has both, I think Boomburst is fine. ausma also opts for some cool defining moves like Strength Sap and Volt Switch.

ok I am hyping

I like Amamama 's spread as a Crobat-style fast offensive pivot. Fast Boomburst is a cool and unique route to take here, and I appreciate that it maintains a moderate amount of bulk as well. It just fulfills the concept well in a really nice package and I appreciate that they only chose the moves it needs to function well in its role. It is also a e s t h e t i c

I think Lasen 's spread deserves to be slated as one of the few that makes use of Torch Song as well as skewing physically defensive, traits that make it unique.

Da Pizza Man has Pheromosa level Defense and really good Spdef and mons that are built like that are just cool man idk

Edit: I also like Binpin's spread a lot.

Last edited:
Would like to second dex, seems like a very well built spread overall and one I could definitely see being useful. Feel like I don't need to justify this one a whole lot since I think most people agree it's a good spread.

Some other spreads I like are DPM and Kenn's. Admittedly I am a bit biased against faster spreads, though. Kenn's spread has a higher HP stat to account for recoil, which could certainly be relevant, and DPM's has a bit less speed in return for increased bulk and offensive power. However, both stats fall within the archetype of "faster and frailer," which is something I'm very much supportive of.

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
i really like Amamama's. youre fast, youre fairly strong thanks to high-bp moves, you disrupt with taunt and koff, all of which makes pivoting easier since chances are the mon in front of you dont want to be hit by one of those. also 125 spe really sets us apart from other fires/fairies. honestly i believe the speed is whats going to make it a consistent pivot as slower, espeed-reliant spreads often feels a bit nervous clicking the pivoting move since theres always a chance for them to clock you predicting you to not espeed.

that said i do love Brambane's spread, strong and abuses espeed real well, though it strays a tad farther than our role as a pivot imo. you want to click the safe option (espeed) more often when youre slow and frail but this spread's damage output looks pretty good at bringing in even slower mons. and honestly this spread attracts me largely because of the raw power, pixiburst off even just 105 spa is a hell of a drug.

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
Final Submission

Physically Biased Mixed w/ Boomburst

HP: 100
Atk: 115
Def: 77
SpAtk: 89
SpDef: 72
Spe: 68

BST: 517
___

PT: 96.07
ST: 87.54
PS: 89.40
SS: 67.84
BSR: 474.75

Defining Moves: Volt Switch, U-turn, Knock Off, Bitter Blade, Boomburst, Extreme Speed
Optional Moves: Strength Sap, Taunt, Spikes

This stat spread opts to use an EV-friendly mixed playstyle to open up for an Extreme Speed endgame into Venomicon structures, while providing defensive utility throughout the game with solid physical/special bulk and strong damaging momentum.

I adamantly believe in a few things that CAP 32 needs to be successful as an offensive pivot: the ability to actually use its resistances and thus enter the field more easily, the ability to make progress throughout the game, and a powerful offensive niche. A bulky PixiSpeed spread with Knock Off accomplishes... well, all of this. I am very confident that a physical spread would be the most promising option and I chose to play into this overall, but I also believe that Volt Switch is a really useful tool in tandem with Knock Off and a high power STAB to consistently apply pressure into Extreme Speed answers. This is why I chose to dip into a physically-biased mixed route with Boomburst, as it gives a physical route of CAP 32 the ability to answer the Stamina-wielding Venomicon while being able to compress pressure and pivoting into one turn. This is especially important when you want to use your pivoting to force out Pokemon you aim to pressure, as Volt Switch -> a powerful Venomicon check ensures your damage can stick and you can more quickly remove Venomicon and other Extreme Speed checks like pre-Tera Skeledirge from the game.

Offensive:

Most of my benchmarks are not really geared for removing things in one turn, but mostly for one-two punches taking advantage of Volt Switch, as you will observe in my list below. The primary benchmarks for OHKOs come via PixiSpeed, which imo are the ones that actually count. It's important for us to be able to remove Iron Valiant and Dragapult in one blow, for example, however I also think the very respected 103 benchmark isn't enough for us. A Scizor-style spread requires us to spec into offense quite a bit to be effective, but we also need to be BSR-conscious if we want our mixed offense to be worth its salt. 115 Attack is a fairly good benchmark for a mixed set mostly because with the needed investment to OHKO Iron Valiant, the rest going into bulk/SpAtk is on the money for hitting just hard enough on the Special side and taking important hits at the same time. With a 196 HP / 48+ Attack / 252 SpAtk / 8 Spe spread, you're hitting my important Special ranges and OHKOing Iron Valiant, while being able to take two Choice Specs Jumbao Moonblasts and counter-creeping Kingambit. Lastly, my Speed tier, simply, is to outpace uninvested Corviknight. This ensures we don't have to waste much into Speed if we dont want to.

Because of this specialized EV flexibility, there are also truly wonderful builder implications. Investing means we exchange early/mid-game value for end-game value, which is a tradeoff I think is both interesting and enables CAP 32 to flexibly fitting onto different kinds of offensive structures. It can invest into Attack if you're using it on a team that's very strong into Venomicon, for example, or you can go mixed/bulky if you struggle more into it but value that priority/CAP 32's resistances.

ExtremeSpeed:
4 Atk Pixilate Iron Valiant Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Iron Valiant: 254-302 (87.8 - 104.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes
4 Atk Pixilate Iron Valiant Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Great Tusk: 186-222 (50.1 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 Atk Pixilate Iron Valiant Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Meowscarada: 314-372 (107.1 - 126.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
48+ Atk Pixilate Iron Valiant Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Dark Roaring Moon: 356-420 (101.4 - 119.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
48+ Atk Pixilate Iron Valiant Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Iron Valiant: 290-344 (100.3 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO
48+ Atk Pixilate Iron Valiant Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Great Tusk: 212-252 (48.8 - 58%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Knock Off
252+ Atk Iron Valiant Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Skeledirge: 214-252 (52 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Boomburst
252 SpA Pixilate Iron Valiant Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 216+ SpD Arghonaut: 314-372 (75.8 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Pixilate Iron Valiant Boomburst vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Revenankh: 390-462 (107.1 - 126.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Fire STAB
252 SpA Iron Valiant Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Equilibra: 198-234 (48.5 - 57.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Iron Valiant Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Jumbao: 218-260 (56.1 - 67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Iron Valiant Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Corviknight: 222-264 (55.6 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
48+ Atk Iron Valiant Bitter Blade vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 176-210 (44.1 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

One-Two Punches:

252 SpA Pixilate Iron Valiant Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 216+ SpD Arghonaut: 314-372 (75.8 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Iron Valiant Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 216+ SpD Arghonaut: 90-106 (21.7 - 25.6%) -- possible 5HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+ Spikes

252 SpA Pixilate Iron Valiant Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Jumbao: 205-243 (63 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
48+ Atk Pixilate Iron Valiant Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Jumbao: 136-162 (41.8 - 49.8%) -- 87.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Iron Valiant Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Venomicon: 130-154 (34.7 - 41.1%) -- 57% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Iron Valiant Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Venomicon: 153-180 (40.9 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+ Stealth Rock

252 SpA Iron Valiant Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Great Tusk: 231-273 (53.2 - 62.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
48+ Atk Pixilate Iron Valiant Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Great Tusk: 212-252 (48.8 - 58%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO

Defensive:

As I mentioned previously, I believe taking advantage of our defensive profile is really important if we want to consistently find opportunities to enter the field and find a more sure-fire place on offensive teams. There is a bit less to unpack here since I don't believe I need to sell you too much on the benchmarks. I primarily wanted to give a nod toward the fact that I wanted to encourage mixed bulk and have some reliable recovery options (Bitter Blade, Strength Sap) to both expand our longevity and to give ourselves even more entry.

252 SpA Choice Specs Iron Valiant Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Iron Valiant: 144-170 (42.2 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Jumbao Moonblast vs. 196 HP / 0 SpD Iron Valiant: 162-191 (41.5 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

8 SpA Skeledirge Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Iron Valiant: 124-147 (36.3 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 3 allies fainted Kingambit Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Valiant: 238-282 (69.7 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 3 allies fainted Kingambit Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Valiant: 104-123 (30.4 - 36%) -- 44.9% chance to 3HKO
+2 252+ Atk Black Glasses Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Kingambit Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Valiant: 288-339 (84.4 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Kingambit Sucker Punch vs. 196 HP / 0 Def Iron Valiant: 240-283 (61.5 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Black Glasses Supreme Overlord 3 allies fainted Kingambit Sucker Punch vs. 196 HP / 0 Def Iron Valiant: 249-294 (63.8 - 75.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
WIP

Specially Biased Mixed w/ Boomburst

75 HP76 Atk60 Def105 Spa84 Spd90 Spe490 BST

91.39 S79.37 PS106.37 SS64.70 PT84.71 ST458.34 BSR

Notable Moves: Boomburst, Fire Blast, Extreme Speed, Knock Off, Parting Shot, Spikes
I think this spread has the highest SpA of any "fast" spread, and that in, and of itself gives it a solid niche. I don't have a ton to say, but its a strong (literally) spread that leans very hard into the wallbreaking elements of offensive pivot. I don't fully buy that its really ever clicking Espeed, as it does sorta feel like this mon is just going to only ever click Fire Blast or Boomburst, but I can see the utility as the 4th slot on eg Specs.

WIP

80 HP / 55 Atk / 75 Def / 85 SpA / 70 SpD / 125 Spe (490 BST)

PS:
SS: 106,06
PT: 79,74
ST: 75,75
BSR: 464,87

Defining Moves: Boomburst, Armor Cannon, Parting Shot, Knock Off, Taunt
Much like the other -ate Boomburster in pokemon (aka Noivern) this spread specs almost fully into speed, being only 4 points shy of the hard limit, and maintains a relatively high Special Sweepiness at the cost of mixed attacking potential and overall bulk. That said, given how fast this mon is, you really do not have any real need of Boomburst. Again, don't have a ton to say here, its got reasonable mixed bulk, strong enough breaking power given Boomburst and nearly maxed SS.

WIP

84 HP / 108 Atk / 35 Def / 54 SpA / 97 SpD / 97 Spe (475 BST)
PS:
SS: 69.27
PT: 46.75
ST: 101.13
BSR: 474.97

Defining Moves: Extreme Speed, Double-Edge, Heat Crash, Parting Shot, Knock Off
This breaks from the rest of the Espeed spreads a bit by going a fair bit faster than the mean, and completely dumping physical bulk. While it is true that we want to have a bit more special attack to turn several neutral hits into switchins, I wonder if dumping physical bulk this heavily is really wise for us. That said, its near the limit of BSR, and you only barely manage to tank Equilibra with the given ST, so any increase in physical bulk will have to come from a very valuable stat. I do like the extra speed letting us spec into the increased damage from Double Edge, which really helps justify a slightly lower attack stat.

WIP

74 / 121 / 55 / 79 / 106 / 75 BST: 510

PS: 104.14
SS: 77.49
PT: 60.16
ST: 101.97
BSR: 474.81

Relevant Optional Moves:
Bitter Blade
:ceruledge:

This spread really is basically an upgraded (slightly slower and frailer, but has a far better secondary stab) version of Ceruledge, even stealing its signature move of Bitter Blade. This also is able to also tank Equilbra, and also dumps physical bulk to sit below the BSR limit, but its an overall very competent spread.

WIP

70 HP / 113 Atk / 100 Def / 77 SpAtk / 68 SpDef / 86 Speed 505 BST
PS: 107.20
SS: 82.34
S: 94.80
PT: 94.40
ST: 69.24
BSR: 474.84
Breaking slightly from the physical spreads above, Skipper's spread puts a bit of BSR into special attack, letting it cleanly OHKO Great Tusk, while also being able to EV to live a single hit from defensive Tusk. That said, there's no calcs given in the post, which makes it difficult for me to fully evaluate the spread. I'll just note while outrunning Dragonite is nice, its often going to be at +1 speed, and also that Boomburst may not always outdamage Double Edge, making the change in nature not always worth it. I'll also say this for every mid speed Espeeder, but there's a lot of these spreads, so choosing them for slate will be hard on me.

WIP

95 HP / 103 ATK / 79 DEF / 55 SPA / 86 SPD / 71 SPE (489 BST)

PS:
SS: 56.53
S: 78.00
PT: 91.42
ST: 98.01

BSR: 474.10

Defining Moves: Double-Edge, Extreme Speed, Flare Blitz, Parting Shot, Bitter Blade, Knock Off
There's a lot of competition between "60-89 base speed Espeeders", and B4S's spread takes an overall bulkier route than a lot of the spreads listed above. Like Wulf's, this spread also elects to choose Bitter Blade, giving a clear longevity and bulk focus. While Parting Shot definitely helps this spread sorta sit in a Bulky Pivot / Revenge Killing role, I do worry that, given the lower attack than most of the spreads above, if you can properly stop safe switches beyond Pshotting. I'll also say this for every mid speed Espeeder, but there's a lot of these spreads, so choosing them for slate will be hard on me.

WIP

75/105/75/105/75/75 (BST:510)

Special or Specially Biased Mixed w/ Boomburst

PS: 92.42
SS: 95.97
S: 89.81
PT: 77.10
ST: 77.37
BSR: 460.58

Important Moves: Boomburst, ExtremeSpeed, Armor Cannon
:octillery:

Brambane really breaks from the pack by adopting a fully mixed spread, whereas spreads above have really only flirted with the concept. 105 Special Attack is, like Badger's, a truly terrifying amount of power, especially given that running a Modest nature at this speed tier is far easier. That said, I do worry that the spread may be too reliant on Espeed to create space, as the bulk on this spread is really not amazing for the speed tier.

WIP

HPAtkDefSpASpDSpeBST

PSSSPTSTBSR
Physical
Optional Moves:
Spikes, Fire Lash, Strength Sap, Flare Blitz

WIP
A second spread I'm working on, with mixed Espeed/Boomburst. I'll continue to work on both and submit the one i like more.

HP ATK DEF SPA SPDEF SPE BST

PS SS PT ST BSR

Specially Biased Mixed W/Boomburst
Optional Moves:
Armor Cannon, Knock Off
These spreads both fit relatively into the design space outlined by a lot of other spreads, and I think a bit more focus on the sets you think each of them imply, and how that affects the calcs you show could be useful.
WIP

80 HP / 121 Attack / 59 Defense / 81 Sp. Attack / 71 Sp. Def / 88 Speed (500)

Physical or Physically Biased Mixed w/ Boomburst
PS: 114.38
SS: 85.98
S: 101.51
PT: 66.06
ST: 76.60
BSR: 474.41

Optional moves: Heat Crash, Knock Off, Stealth Rock, 50% recovery
Its hard to give a ton of feedback to such a crowded part of the field, but I think that leaning harder into the mixed attacking or physical attacking might make this spread more unique among the rest of this part of the field. That said, there is merit in just polishing the spread and the attached calcs.

Final Submission

HP:
Atk: 130
Def: 70
SpA: 50
SpD: 90
Spe: 60
BST: 480

PS: 98.19
SS: 51.28
PT: 75.46
ST: 92.64
BSR: 468.67

Moves: Extreme Speed, Bitter Blade, Flare Blitz, U-turn (or Parting Shot), Knock Off, Taunt
Dex's spread is quite unique in literally maxing out attack, and as a result being able to revenge Bax without needing to spend Tera or run a Choice Band. Beyond that it is semi-frail, and as a result it reminds me a lot of offensive Scizor in how it could play. Overall this spread defines one edge of the Espeeders, literally maxing its raw power, and placing little emphasis on anything else.

WIP

75 HP / 55 Atk / 109 Def / 80 SpA / 50 SpD / 111 Spe [480 BST]
Notable Moves: Boomburst, Torch Song, Hyper Voice, Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Overheat, U-turn, Thunderbolt
PS:
lol
S: 83.57
PT: 105.19
ST: 56.96
BSR: 454.89
This is another very unique spread, our first Torch Song focused one, while also spending a ton of its BSR on physical bulk, at the cost of overall power, and special defense. While the special defense is truly not amazing, its just barely enough to let us tank a single hit from Venom-P, which, combined with Torch Song does imply a sequence where we can bypass it, and the physical bulk lets us leverage our typing into threats such as Bax, Roaring Moon, and Iron Valiant to some degree. This is a unique approach, but I do wonder if the unbalanced bulk is too unbalanced.

WIP

103 HP / 103 Atk / 55 Def / 40 SpA / 58 SpD / 103 Spe (BST: 462)

PS:
SS: 59.54
S: 99.25
PT: 72.18
ST: 75.43
BSR: 474.92

Required:
  • Extreme Speed, Double-Edge, Flare Blitz, Heat Crash (120 BP vs. Kingambit, 100 BP vs. Caribolt, and 80 BP vs. Jumbao)
  • Parting Shot
Optional:
  • Knock Off, Will-o-Wisp, Taunt, Spikes
Similar to DPM's, the increased speed, and this time HP of Kenn's spread really lets is make up for a lower attack stat by running Double Edge. This is one of the fastest of the Espeed Spreads, and I'd have to think over the spread a bit more to really think about how strong Double Edge is for us, or if we're better off with a slower, higher attack spread. I don't have many specific critiques of the spread, its a good realization of a route.
WIP swapped Def w/ SpD.

HP: 74
Atk: 103 / 130 (79%)
Def: 63
SpA: 94 / 112 (84%)
SpD: 72
Spe: 89 /129 (69%)

OCAT: Mixed
PS: 100.08
SS: 96.34 / 108 (89%)
S: 93.88 / 95 (99%)
PT: 66.72 / 110 (61%)
ST: 74.41 / 105 (71%)
BSR: 454.42 / 460 (465 - 5 [Bitter Blade])
BST: 495

Moves Referenced: Bitter Blade, Boomburst, Double-Edge, Extreme Speed, Flare Blitz, Overheat, Parting Shot, Volt Switch
Despite having a higher Attack stat, this spread really reads like a Special Wallbreaker with Espeed as utility, rather than a physical attacker that can run Boomburst to play as a mixed breaker. I suppose my main critique is that you might be spending a bit too much on PS given that general playstyle, and I wonder if a benchmark with lower attack, shifting into SS or bulk could work? That said, I've not got the time to fully evaluate and playtest all of these spreads. I think there's likely a sweetspot in terms of what attack works best on a specially focused spread, but I'm unsure if its at 103.
Route 1: Physically Biased

78/103/53/50/85/107

BST: 476

PS
: 114.12
SS: 69.51
PT: 60.13
ST: 87.26
BSR: 479.48

Optional Moves: Knock Off, Parting Shot, Spikes, Taunt
Ultimately I do feel that dropping the HP stat, as compared to Kenn's, really hurts a lot of the promise of higher speed, that is, clicking the funny Double Edge button as a way to get around a relatively lower attack stat.
WIP

81 HP / 76 Atk / 60 Def / 127 SpA / 83 SpD / 88 Spe (520 BST)

PS: 78.10
SS: 121.97
S: 106.47
PT: 71.66
ST: 87.30
BSR: 505.64

Specially Biased Mixed - No Boomburst
Defining Moves:
Hyper Voice, Fire Blast, Extreme Speed, Volt Switch? and/or Parting Shot
Our first hyper voice spread, and this one attempts to reach the same power of the Boomburst spreads by simply having a very large special attack stat. I do wonder if the power represented here justifies the rather exploitable overall bulk, but its a very unique route, and one I'm happy to have available to us.
101/113/94/91/89/44

BSR:
PS: 77.76
SS: 69.45
S: 67.82
PT: 109.33
ST: 104.40

Physically Biased Mixed w/ Boomburst

Will post justifications and do a bit more fine tuning later, but the goal is to maximize bulk within the BSR limits while maintaining a solid physical attacking presence. Personally don't think we need that much speed investment if our premier attacking move is +2 priority.
This obviously isn't finished yet, but I do think that fully riding the special limit might help you a bit. But I also have a slight bias towards specially biased mixed mons, and being this slow, I will admit that Double Edge makes very little sense on us. Still, this is a unique direction, and the overall focus on having very good bulk does really set it apart from the field.

WIP

90 / 95 / 95 / 95 / 95 / 55 (BST: 525)

PT: 103.25
ST: 103.20
PS: 73.05
SS: 77.18
BSR: 474.84

Notable Moves: Extreme Speed, Boomburst, Fire Blast, Knock Off, Spikes, Parting Shot, 50% Recovery
This is fairly similar to Tada's spread, and as a result I have fairly similar feedback, I do wonder if you can go a bit stronger to justify a team slot here, but I do understand the focus on aesthetics here. Its hard to give specific feedback, this spread definitely has a lot more bulk than most of the field, but I do still have the wonder of how to handle evs on mixed spreads.

WIP

88 HP / 115 Attack / 66 Defense / 70 Special Attack / 66 Special Defense / 90 Speed

PS: 111.34
SS: 78.53
PT: 75.86
ST: 76.15
BSR: 479.06

BST: 495

Role: Physical or Physical Biased Mixed w/Boomburst
Required Moves: Extreme Speed, Flare Blitz, U-turn
Optional Moves: Boomburst, Knock Off, Taunt, Stealth Rock
Ultimately I've already said a lot about similar spreads above. I do think the speed greater than Tusk, and the ability to clean OHKO it with Boomburst is interesting, but I don't know if Boomburst ultimately gets a slot over Double Edge or even SR/Taunt/Knock.
WIP

59 HP / 111 Atk / 90 Def / 73 SpA / 86 SpD / 89 Spe (BST: 508)

PT: 79.68
ST: 77.01
PS: 106.54
SS: 79.88
S: 94.18
BSR: 473.66

Constraints based on access to Boomburst, Bitter Blade, Extreme Speed, Double-Edge, and (optionally) Knock Off
Sorta similar feedback to the above, while you do have a special attack stat that theoretically enables Boomburst, do note that it implies at least running a nature that negatively affects bulk, which definitely could affect some of the calcs given.

WIP

Route 1: Physically Biased Mixed w/ Boomburst

HP
: 100
Atk: 115
Def: 77
SpAtk: 89
SpDef: 72
Spe: 68

BST: 517
___

PT: 96.07
ST: 87.54
PS: 89.40
SS: 67.84
BSR: 474.75

Defining Moves: Volt Switch, U-turn, Bitter Blade, Boomburst, Extreme Speed
Optional Moves: Strength Sap, Knock Off, Taunt, Spikes
Ausma's spread does manage to have a special attack stat that can keep up with its physical attack, but I do wonder if that's worth the cut in bulk. I've already said a large amount about similar spreads, and much of that also applies here.

WIP

Defining Moves:
Boomburst, Knock Off, U-turn, Rapid Spin, Thunder Wave, Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Trick, Healing Wish, Wish, Encore, Stealth Rock
PSSSPTSTBSR
This spread greatly resembles Amamama's, and I think it definitely represents one of the "obvious" routes that CAP 32 could go, aka Aerialate Noivern. As compared to Amamama's, you trade the ability to outrun Meow and a bit of physical bulk for a fair bit of special bulk. There's not a ton between these two spreads, and I'll have to look at both of them closely.

Edit:
My apologies for those whose spreads are near the end here; I sorta ran out of stuff to say.

Double Edit:

I find myself a bit worried about spreads that "want to do it all". I'm thinking of the spreads that want to good, rather than reasonable, bulk, mixed attacking, and also reasonable speed. It strikes me as a bit difficult to do this all at a lower BST(R) level.

Last edited:
Final Submission

80 / 103 / 71 / 40 / 79 / 97 BST: 470

S: 95.07
PS: 76.32
SS: 57.46
PT: 76.32
ST: 83.35
BSR: 479.33

Optional: Strength Sap, Fire Lash, Spikes, Knock Off

This spread focuses on the revenge killing aspect of CAP32. It can come in after a fainted teammate or on its own bulk to remove specific targets including Band/DD Roaring Moon, Baxcalibur, Meowscarada, Greninja, Booster Valiant, and Jumbao.

Defense:
The bulk is enough to switch into extremely strong targets a couple times on a resisted hit.
252 Atk Choice Band Roaring Moon Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arcanine: 136-161 (45.1 - 53.4%) -- 36.3% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Jumbao Solar Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Arcanine: 115-136 (38.2 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Iron Valiant Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Arcanine: 133-157 (44.1 - 52.1%) -- 16.4% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Arcanine: 102-120 (33.8 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Arcanine: 114-135 (37.8 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Protean Greninja Energy Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Arcanine: 152-179 (50.4 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (this is meant to emulate 120 bp Grass Knot, but this is not a Heat Crash user so it will likely be much lighter)

252 SpA Iron Valiant Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Arcanine: 89-105 (29.5 - 34.8%) -- 14.5% chance to 3HKO
4 Atk Iron Valiant Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arcanine: 108-127 (35.8 - 42.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Iron Valiant Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Arcanine: 113-134 (37.5 - 44.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Iron Valiant Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arcanine: 109-129 (36.2 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+2 252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Kingambit Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arcanine: 256-302 (79.7 - 94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Kingambit Kowtow Cleave vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arcanine: 104-123 (32.3 - 38.3%) -- 97% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Kingambit Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arcanine: 195-231 (60.7 - 71.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
While some of these pokemon do have a chance to 2hko, CAP32 generally outheals all of these with Strength Sap, meaning it can switch in and force out even those who can 2 shot it multiple times to make up for its lackluster bulk. A lot of the pokemon CAP32 intends to force out have incredible physical attack, and some like Kingambit and Roaring Moon have more attack points than CAP32 has HP.

Offense:
103/97 is not the best offensively on its own, but it hits the benchmarks it needs to and is just enough power even with a neutral nature to threaten things out.
252 Atk Pixilate Abomasnow Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Colossoil: 348-410 (85.5 - 100.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Pixilate Abomasnow Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Meowscarada: 356-422 (121.5 - 144%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Pixilate Abomasnow Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 372-438 (130.5 - 153.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Pixilate Abomasnow Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 186-219 (65.2 - 76.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (this is if it drops the dark typing via Protean)
252 Atk Pixilate Arcanine Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dragapult: 338-402 (106.6 - 126.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Pixilate Abomasnow Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Iron Valiant: 290-344 (100.3 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Pixilate Arcanine Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 40 Def Arghonaut: 270-318 (65.2 - 76.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Pixilate Arcanine Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Pawmot: 356-422 (126.6 - 150.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Pixilate Arcanine Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tomohawk: 206-246 (49.7 - 59.4%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Pixilate Arcanine Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zoroark-Hisui: 202-238 (80.4 - 94.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 140 Def Equilibra: 300-354 (73.5 - 86.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 350-414 (111.1 - 131.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 234-276 (58.6 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kingambit: 284-336 (83.2 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kingambit: 284-336 (83.2 - 98.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes
252 Atk Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 236 HP / 0 Def Kingambit: 288-338 (72 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Pixilate Arcanine Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Baxcalibur: 288-338 (77.6 - 91.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Amoonguss: 330-390 (76.3 - 90.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Arcanine Fire Lash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 234-276 (74.2 - 87.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Arcanine Fire Lash vs. 252 HP / 140 Def Equilibra: 200-236 (49 - 57.8%) -- 55.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (guaranteed 2hko due to defense drop)
252 Atk Arcanine Fire Lash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Jumbao in Sun: 344-408 (105.8 - 125.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Arcanine Fire Lash vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 156-186 (39 - 46.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Arcanine Fire Lash vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Amoonguss: 218-260 (50.4 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Arcanine Fire Lash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zoroark-Hisui: 169-199 (67.3 - 79.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
There are a lot of relevant targets that we simply discombobulate even with base 103 Attack. We will have a harder time vs. bulkier neutral targets and we have no chance vs. Skeledirge, Venomicon or Garganacl, but Knock Off and Spikes deal with it enough that its teammates .

Potential Sets:
Arcanine @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pixilate
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Flare Blitz / Fire Lash
- Knock Off / U-Turn / Parting Shot / Strength Sap
- Spikes / Knock Off / Strength Sap
This is the bread and butter I think this CAP32 would run.

Arcanine @ Choice Band
Ability: Pixilate
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- U-turn / Parting Shot

less confident with Choice Band, but it makes it so many of the 2hkos become OHKOs i guess
The 4 Def is actually important because you have a chance to be OHKOd by 5 allies Sucker Punch Kingambit without it
+2 252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Kingambit Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Abomasnow: 255-300 (84.7 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Kingambit Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def null: 256-302 (85 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

tldr; this spread is a revenge killer with average BST.

Last edited:
WIP

Defining Moves:
Boomburst, Knock Off, U-turn, Rapid Spin, Thunder Wave, Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Trick, Healing Wish, Wish, Encore, Stealth Rock
PSSSPTSTBSR

A specially defensive spread, focused on using the unique defensive qualities of Fire/Fairy and a high natural speed stat to open up more opportunities to exert offensive pressure. To make up for what will most likely be a limited time on the field, this spread is built around the use of a wide support movepool. Its glaring physical frailty, lack of reliable recovery outside of Wish, and struggles relating to 4MSS are intended to keep its support abilities limited. Alternatively, this spread can run a Choice Specs or Choice Scarf set. For the cost of longevity, the former receives massively powerful Boombursts and serviceable power behind its Fire STAB. For the same cost, the latter receives heightened, albeit more specific, support capabilities.
CAP32 will never 2HKO Cinderace with a maximum investment neutral natured Boomburst. (252 SpA Pixilate Delphox Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Cinderace: 125-147 (41.5 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO)
Choice Specs Boomburst from CAP32 will nearly always OHKO Kingambit. (252 SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Delphox Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kingambit: 339-400 (99.4 - 117.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO)
Choice Specs Fire Blast from CAP32 will never 2HKO Venomicon. (252 SpA Choice Specs Delphox Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Venomicon: 151-178 (40.3 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO)
CAP32 will never be 3HKOd by Gholdengo's Make It Rain with maximum investment. (252 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Delphox: 133-157 (38.6 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO)
CAP32 will never be OHKOd by Krilowatt's Surf with maximum HP. (252 SpA Life Orb Krilowatt Surf vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Delphox: 257-304 (74.7 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO)
CAP32 will always be OHKOd by Banded Dragapult's Phantom Force. (252+ Atk Choice Band Dragapult Phantom Force vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Delphox: 369-435 (107.2 - 126.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO)
When running maximum HP and enough speed to creep Krilowatt, CAP32 will usually avoid a 3HKO from Life Orb Jumbao. (252 SpA Life Orb Jumbao Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 120 SpD Delphox: 99-117 (28.7 - 34%) -- 1.6% chance to 3HKO)
CAP32 will always avoid a 2HKO from Specs Iron Valiant's Focus Blast with maximum HP. (252 SpA Choice Specs Iron Valiant Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Delphox: 125-147 (36.3 - 42.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO)
CAP32 will always outspeed Jolly Roaring Moon without any boosts. (375 vs. 370)
CAP32 will never outspeed Greninja without a Choice Scarf. (375 vs. 377)
CAP32 can outspeed Krilowatt with maximum speed and a neutral nature (341 vs. 339)
CAP32 can outspeed Garchomp with maximum speed and a neutral nature (341 vs. 333)
I was going to make a submission, but this is pretty much the exact spread that I think special boomburst should have. I think it can be 120 speed instead of 121 just fine, but everything else here is pretty much ideal for hitting the concept, and running a Meow/Cinder style set that trades some coverage for slightly better switchin opportunities and raw power on its main attack. With Tera and Choice items, this can also be ran as a devastating threat that can rival any current top tier mon offensively.

What I would say to further back this set is that don't mistake this for being weak because it has 80 SpA. It still hits harder than the mons in its speed bracket- Cinderace, Meowscarada, Iron Valiant etc, and special attacks are generally more threatening to the generic glue and offensive mons in the tier. Also, its high speed and spdef makes up a lot for its flaws as a mon with a modest amount of relevant resists, as itll find more switchins when played well and with correct prediction. This isnt something that is easily proven with stats but good players will feel the difference.
I prefer the special bulk here, because it doesnt get ohkod by things like Libra 1v1 unless max SpA, and it improves a fair few neutral hits like Gholdengo. A lot more physical mons can hit us harder, but on the physical side you will be able to find switchins vs Arghonaut no matter how low your physical bulk gets. But splitting the defenses equally between physical and special gets you the best of neither worlds, and youll not take neutral hits from either side with 80/70/70.

The only thing Id say is that it doesn't need to have such a lot and meaningless list of defining moves, which should be decided in the movepool stage.

edit: I also saw the idea that Boomburst isnt needed for a fast spread like this. Im not so sure about that. Without boomburst, you are lagging behind the other mons in the speed tier like Meow, Valiant and Cinder to a great degree, and things start looking less viable.

Last edited:

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

70 / 95 / 60 / 50 / 85 / 127

487 BST

PS: 112.82
SS: 73.07
S: 100.06
PT: 62.49
ST: 82.24
BSR: 473.89
965 kg

Defining Moves: Extreme Speed, Flare Blitz, Heat Crash (-5 BSR), Double-Edge, Knock Off, Parting Shot
Optional Moves: Spikes, Knock Off, Taunt, Will-O-Wisp

LAST MINUTE NEW SPREAD LET'S GO. I decided to just make a new post instead of replace the Octillery spread since it's a total 180 and also I just didn't want Octillery to be lost to time, since developing spreads on existing Pokemon is a good tool and it can remain a modern precedent for what they can look like.

There is pretty solid spread diversity at this point, but no truly fast and physical spreads. This direction has a lot of merit since, well, Speed is good even if you have ExtremeSpeed since it allows you to focus on some of the other strong moves available to us. In particular, I wanted a spread that really leans on some of the flexibility that Speed can afford us and make CAP32 a little more than a one-note attacker. Such adaptability will keep it competitive in a rapidly changing metagame and hopefully better actualize its concept.

One of the tough parts of our BSR limits is maintaining power and high Speed for physical stats. For example, if you want to outspeed Krilowatt with 106 Speed, you really can't go higher than 104 Attack without PS limits. This translates, with max EVs and a Jolly nature, as 307 Attack and 342 Speed. However, a high Speed stat can reach better numbers by running Adamant! With an Adamant nature, my spread above hits 317 Attack and 353 Speed. This is a very relevant Speed number in the current metagame, as it would allow CAP32 to fast pivot out of the ever threatening Iron Moth, which of course resists our STAB combination. It also naturally outspeeds Caribolt, another highly threatening sweeper.

Of course with this spread, you can have your cake and eat it too and run an even faster Speed to outpace the likes of Cinderace, Greninja, and Meowscarada. This does come at a cost, as you lose that 100% OHKO on Iron Valiant and way worse rolls against Kingambit and Great Tusk:
252 Atk Sylveon Flare Blitz vs. 236 HP / 0 Def Kingambit: 270-320 (67.5 - 80%)
252 Atk Pixilate Sylveon Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Great Tusk: 300-354 (80.8 - 95.4%)

Such decision making adds a little more nuance to building than always running Jolly, since you do a lot of relevant benchmarks with with 353 Speed and Adamant ExtremeSpeed. At the end of the day, a 95 base Attack Double-Edge is stronger than a 130 Attack Extreme Speed, so if you are already naturally faster than the target that's just more damage in the bank.

This spread has a lot of sauce on the table. Fast Spikes users really never go out of style, if Greninja is any evidence, especially when they have great offensive presence. CAP32 can really capitalized on this Speed with a fast Taunt for other offensive Spikes leads, Parting Shot, and KOing itself with moves such as Double-Edge recoil for free pivoting and denying hazard removal. Fast Wisp is also pretty clutch, especially if Cinderace running the move is any indicator. Knock Off gives you a one time nuke against Skeledirge and makes pressure later, although I cannot combo with Tera Fairy for a KO without an offensive item:
252+ Atk Tera Fairy Sylveon Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Skeledirge: 188-222 (45.7 - 54%) -- 43.8% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Pixilate Tera Fairy Sylveon Double-Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Skeledirge: 139-164 (33.8 - 39.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

If you want to really go for it tho, you do have a solid chance with some chip or luck to smack Dirge to smithereens with Knock Off into Tera Fire Flare Blitz in sun:
252+ Atk Tera Fire Sylveon Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Skeledirge in Sun: 174-205 (42.3 - 49.8%)

Which is the other boon of a high Speed spread, focusing on the Fire-type moves. Jumbao makes offensive Fire-types much more relevant thanks to sun, and such a high Speed makes CAP32 stand out among the bunch alongside its Fairy STAB and pivoting moves. This is why I included Heat Crash; you can click it a lot more freely than Flare Blitz. It does do way less damage to fat shits like Ting-Lu and Skeledirge. The weight above is enough to hit 100 BP Heat Crash against Clodsire and Iron Treads.
252+ Atk Tera Fire Sylveon Heat Crash vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Clodsire: 288-340 (62.2 - 73.4%)

However, you never do enough without an offensive item or hazards to 2HKO AV Toxapex:
252+ Atk Tera Fire Sylveon Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Toxapex in Sun: 120-142 (39.6 - 46.8%)

This set focuses more on special bulk for the reason's spoo highlighted in their post: CAP32 is much more positioned to hard switch on special attackers than physical ones. This does actually make Kingambit more intimidating due to Sucker Punch damage, but you have access to ExtremeSpeed and Will-O-Wisp so the outplay potential is very real. Be aware that defensive Kingambit can live a hit without some kind of chip, item, or Tera closing the gap.

Overall, this spread was designed to be more flexible and adaptable to the metagame and team structures. Offensive teams can appreciate its fast Spikes and MU into Speed-boosting threats like Roaring Moon and Iron Valiant. Sun teams can build around its speedy sun-boosted Fire attacks. And balance teams can benefit from its Knock Off, Wisp, and speed control. It never fully blows through its answers without support, which is desirable on a Pokemon with such high speed control. It is a very fast jack of all trades, master of none, that will hopefully find its niche in the metagame to lead to a better fine tuning, if needed, during PPL.

Last edited:

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Ok, so I feel the most useful thing y'all can do to help me inform the slate is to really Hype up someone else's spread and tell me why you think it should make slate.
I think my overall favorite spread is Dex's spread. 130 Attack is surely strong, and 80/70/90 bulk is decent enough, but sitting at a Base 60 speed stat is definitely a balancing factor. Extreme Speed helps to overcome this, but it doesn't change that it's going to get outsped by a lot of other Pokemon when using its other moves. Bitter Blade imo completes this spread, letting it leverage its decent bulk (especially with some bulk investment). Overall, I think this is a very cohesive spread that has an explicit gameplan: overcome speed with Extreme Speed, recover with Bitter Blade, and use its two free moveslots for utility like Knock Off, U-turn, Taunt, etc.

Some similar spreads that I still very much like are those submitted by Wulfanator and ryangregoy78. Though there are some tradeoffs here and there, the main idea of combining Extreme Speed and Bitter Blade is very much there. I think these builds are similarly cohesive.

----

While I've flipped from supporting a special attacking CAP in earlier stages to a physical attacking CAP once Pixilate was chosen, I can't deny the power of a fast Boomburst. Amamama's spread is very potent sitting at 125 Speed, outspeeding the typical bunch of Pokemon sitting at 121-123 Speed. The combination of Boomburst and Armor Cannon makes this CAP32 build super consistent, having two powerful 100% accurate STABs, and I think consistency is important for a mon with "average" stats.

Binpin's spread is very similar, trading some power, physical bulk, and speed for much higher special bulk. While I think the higher special bulk is good, I think I have to give the advantage here to Amamama, as outspeeding Meowscarada and Greninja makes the spread significantly better. If Binpin were to bump up the speed stat a little bit, then I think there'd be a heavier contest between the two builds. Either way, these builds both push the bounds on a fully special spread, and I think that's really good.

----

Throughout this thread, I've been unimpressed with physical spreads trying to be fast. While I understand how Extreme Speed can only partially remedy speed issues, the cost of having higher speed stats just don't seem worth it. The spreads with exactly 103 Atk and anywhere from ~75 Speed up to ~105 Speed are gimping the main strength of Extreme Speed, which how its super strong despite not requiring that high speed stat. Every increase to speed/decrease to attack is reducing the potency of Extreme Speed, and I'm unsure if the speed advantage is worth the severe reduction in Attack seen in these spreads.

----

Additionally, I've been unimpressed with physically-biased mixed attacking spreads attempting to use both Extreme Speed and Boomburst. Without getting into too many specifics, 110~120 Atk Extreme Speed and 70~80 SpA Boomburst just isn't very impressive relative to the other, more potent gameplans from other spreads. Aside from the inherent moveslot issue of having to run both moves to get the gameplan off (leading to moveset inflexibility), the Extreme Speeds are only really good if you invest in Attack, and the Boombursts are only really good if you invest in Special Attack. This leads to a CAP that sorta a few things decently, and that's not how you find viability in Gen 9, especially if your stats are average. The issue with these spreads is that, realistically, they'll just want to specialize into maximizing the value out of their physical attack, as their special attack is too paltry to use anything other than Boomburst (you're not using 70 SpA Fire Blast). So, if you look at these spreads as just other physical spreads, who have typically chosen lower attack and higher speed than the aforementioned dex/wulf/ryangregory spreads, you fall into the issues that other physical spreads fall into (see the above section), even if 110~120 Atk is not as egregious as 103 Atk.

On the other hand, more specially-biased mixed sets, such as Explosion Badger's spread (and Brambane's old WIP spread, the Octillery with Jordans), actually make sense because having a Base 105 SpA Boomburst is stupidly actually scary, and then Extreme Speed is an option to pick off anything that might have survived a Boomburst. Similarly, Ausma's spread, while it's not my favorite, reaches up towards 90 SpA Boombursts, which is still strong in tandem with the Base 115 Extreme Speed and its bulk. I view Scizivire and Tadasuke's spreads as similar in idea (but I'm running out of time to elaborate more on the tradeoffs with these spreads). Thus, out of all the spreads explicitly trying to be mixed spreads, I think Explosion Badger, Ausma, Scizivire, and Tadasuke have the right idea (RIP Octillery with Jordans). However, these builds are still not my favorite because I think builds with a full focus on Extreme Speed OR Boomburst are the best.

----

Very long, so here's the summary:

My favorite type of build is that which has a full focus on Extreme Speed and leverage PS in a way that maximizes Extreme Speed's utility. Spreads that accomplish this are those submitted by Dex, Wulfanator, and ryangregory. These spreads give CAP32 a clear role on teams with its strong priority Extreme Speed.

My second favorite type of build is that which has a full focus on Boomburst. Spreads that accomplish this are those submitted by Amamama and Binpin. These spreads also give CAP32 a clear reason to be used with its high speed and good power.

My least favorite type of build (by quite a large margin - full phys or full special is much, much better imo) is a mixed spread actually makes Boomburst (or Hyper Voice) sting and then have Extreme Speed as a supplementary option to pick up knockouts. Spreads that accomplish this are those submitted by Explosion Badger, Ausma, Scizivire, and Tadasuke.

EDIT: Viol and Bass's spread falls into the better category of mixed spreads. Still think mixed is not as good as it seems, though.

Last edited:

quziel

I am the Scientist now
Hey, so I'm having a bit of trouble with 4 options that I think are quite neat, but are sorta on the periphery of slate for me.

Brambane
HPAtkDefSpASpDSpeBSTPSSSPTSTBSR
This one is quite unique, and I'm having a bit of trouble really evaluating it. Brambane sorta seems to be implying an Adamant spread for it, which is equivalent to 109/111 offenses (if my math is right), which is indeed a number that you can't hit without a spread like this, as that spread is actually over the PS limit. That said, its still a very Talonflame-esque route for the mon, and because of how different it is, I'm having a bit of difficulty with deciding on whether it should make slate or not.

Tommaniacal
So this is a spread where I'm also a bit torn. Specifically with how valuable speed is to a spread that leans so heavily into a physical wallbreaking direction. I think that question is far easier to answer for special spreads, but given the guarantee of Espeed, I'm really a bit torn here. While again, it does have pretty unparalleled physical breaking power among the spreads submitted, its also one of the hardest to actually switch in.

Scizivire
Frankly with this spread I sorta want to get community opinion. How valuable do we think a Hyper Voice option is? Is the heavily increased power on Armor Cannon worth the drop on Boomburst? Should I just focus purely on Boomburst spreads when slating?

Viol and Bass
One of the ideas that's been thrown around a lot is the fantasy of Espeed + Boomburst. I think V&B's spread definitely does open that up, but also I'd like opinions on just generally how folks feel about a slower Boomburster; is the Espeed access enough? is the bulk enough? How do folks feel about a Boomburst spread running the physical limits?

==================================================

With that said, I'm also going to post the rest of my Preliminary Slate:
Preliminary Slate

Explosion Badger

This is probably the scariest spread to actually switch into of any submitted so far. 105 Special Attack Boomburst, at this speed tier is downright a bit terrifying. That said, 90 Speed is still only just good, and not great, and the bulk, especially on the physical side definitely implies that you'll need a lot of Volt-Turn support to really leverage this spread's upsides.

Amamama
One of the examples of a medium stat -Ate abuser identified during Stat limit discussion was Noivern, and Amamama's spread is quite literally Aerialate Noivern, but slightly worse in about every aspect. Which is good, because Aerialate Noivern is banned from just about every single OM where you can use it. I had a lot of difficulty deciding between this and Binpin's as both would be very effective, but ended up choosing Ama's due to the easier Meow matchup.

Wulfanator
Wulf has submitted nerfed Ceruledge stats, featuring Bitter Blade, great special bulk, and the potential to just live forever by healing. While Ceruledge obviously hits a bit harder, at a faster speed tier, we have an actual secondary STAB move to abuse in Espeed. Compared to the rest of our slate, Wulf's spread has exceptional special bulk, getting really close to the limit, letting us definitely think about switching into a lot of walls that other spreads may struggle with. That said, its physical bulk really isn't amazing.

Dex
During stat limits, I was persuaded to raise the ceiling for Attack from 125 to 130, as letting us revenge kill literally every single Fairy weak sweeper in the tier was something a lot of folks thought would be interesting. Dex's spread uses that fact to force a guaranteed KO in Bax, even without needing Tera, Band, or any chip. Outside of that, its a relatively slow spread, reminiscient of Scizor, with functional but not great bulk. This definitely outlines one edge of our design space.

Lasen
Torch Song was brought up fairly often during Defining Moves, as a very interesting hybrid between usable Fire STAB, and also a potential sweeping option. Lasen's spread definitely evokes Serperior, in that it can potentially use that hybrid move to create a lot of space. That said, it also has a very noted weakness in its spdef, balancing out its pretty great physdef. This is a very unique route from the rest of the field, and would give us a very interesting mon.

Kenn
Unlike most of the rest of the physical attacking spreads, Kenn's submission has little doubt that it would run both Espeed, and Double Edge. Its attack is just at the point where you start OHKO'ing valiant with Espeed, and while this is lower than the rest of the slated physical spreads, the ability to run Edge, thanks to a high HP and speed stat definitely means that its not going to be hitting that much weaker than its competition.

I'm looking to include 1 or 2 of the spreads that I asked for feedback on, so please help me to get my slate in a place where I'm happy with it. This'll be put up in the afternoon or evening tomorrow as a warning.
Enjoy your Weekend.

Last edited:
Hey, so I'm having a bit of trouble with 4 options that I think are quite neat, but are sorta on the periphery of slate for me.

Brambane
This one is quite unique, and I'm having a bit of trouble really evaluating it. Brambane sorta seems to be implying an Adamant spread for it, which is equivalent to 109/111 offenses (if my math is right), which is indeed a number that you can't hit without a spread like this, as that spread is actually over the PS limit. That said, its still a very Talonflame-esque route for the mon, and because of how different it is, I'm having a bit of difficulty with deciding on whether it should make slate or not.

Tommaniacal
So this is a spread where I'm also a bit torn. Specifically with how valuable speed is to a spread that leans so heavily into a physical wallbreaking direction. I think that question is far easier to answer for special spreads, but given the guarantee of Espeed, I'm really a bit torn here. While again, it does have pretty unparalleled physical breaking power among the spreads submitted, its also one of the hardest to actually switch in.

Scizivire
Frankly with this spread I sorta want to get community opinion. How valuable do we think a Hyper Voice option is? Is the heavily increased power on Armor Cannon worth the drop on Boomburst? Should I just focus purely on Boomburst spreads when slating?

Viol and Bass
One of the ideas that's been thrown around a lot is the fantasy of Espeed + Boomburst. I think V&B's spread definitely does open that up, but also I'd like opinions on just generally how folks feel about a slower Boomburster; is the Espeed access enough? is the bulk enough? How do folks feel about a Boomburst spread running the physical limits?

==================================================

With that said, I'm also going to post the rest of my Preliminary Slate:
Preliminary Slate

Explosion Badger

This is probably the scariest spread to actually switch into of any submitted so far. 105 Special Attack Boomburst, at this speed tier is downright a bit terrifying. That said, 90 Speed is still only just good, and not great, and the bulk, especially on the physical side definitely implies that you'll need a lot of Volt-Turn support to really leverage this spread's upsides.

Amamama
One of the examples of a medium stat -Ate abuser identified during Stat limit discussion was Noivern, and Amamama's spread is quite literally Aerialate Noivern, but slightly worse in about every aspect. Which is good, because Aerialate Noivern is banned from just about every single OM where you can use it. I had a lot of difficulty deciding between this and Binpin's as both would be very effective, but ended up choosing Ama's due to the easier Meow matchup.

Wulfanator
Wulf has submitted nerfed Ceruledge stats, featuring Bitter Blade, great special bulk, and the potential to just live forever by healing. While Ceruledge obviously hits a bit harder, at a faster speed tier, we have an actual secondary STAB move to abuse in Espeed. Compared to the rest of our slate, Wulf's spread has exceptional special bulk, getting really close to the limit, letting us definitely think about switching into a lot of walls that other spreads may struggle with. That said, its physical bulk really isn't amazing.

Dex
During stat limits, I was persuaded to raise the ceiling for Attack from 125 to 130, as letting us revenge kill literally every single Fairy weak sweeper in the tier was something a lot of folks thought would be interesting. Dex's spread uses that fact to force a guaranteed KO in Bax, even without needing Tera, Band, or any chip. Outside of that, its a relatively slow spread, reminiscient of Scizor, with functional but not great bulk. This definitely outlines one edge of our design space.

Lasen
Torch Song was brought up fairly often during Defining Moves, as a very interesting hybrid between usable Fire STAB, and also a potential sweeping option. Lasen's spread definitely evokes Serperior, in that it can potentially use that hybrid move to create a lot of space. That said, it also has a very noted weakness in its spdef, balancing out its pretty great physdef. This is a very unique route from the rest of the field, and would give us a very interesting mon.

Kenn
Unlike most of the rest of the physical attacking spreads, Kenn's submission has little doubt that it would run both Espeed, and Double Edge. Its attack is just at the point where you start OHKO'ing valiant with Espeed, and while this is lower than the rest of the slated physical spreads, the ability to run Edge, thanks to a high HP and speed stat definitely means that its not going to be hitting that much weaker than its competition.

I'm looking to include 1 or 2 of the spreads that I asked for feedback on, so please help me to get my slate in a place where I'm happy with it. This'll be put up in the afternoon or evening tomorrow as a warning.
Enjoy your Weekend.
Thanks for the shout out! Speed is primarily there to bolster its utility and pivoting options. I admittedly could have gone more in depth with this in my post, but the higher speed would better allow us to click U-Turn/Parting Shot, as well as potentially taunting slower opponents. U-turn particularly synergizes with the high attack and speed stats.

Higher speed is also useful against Pokémon that Extreme Speed isn't effective against, such as with Heat Crash against Gholdengo or with Knock Off against Pokémon like Skeledirge or Ceruledge.

TLDR: Higher speed synergizes with U-turn and let's us more easily click our utility moves like Taunt, as well as improving our offensive matchup against Extreme Speed resists

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
viol and bass 's spread is probably the only spread that really actualizes a truly bulky attacker CAP32. Some of the other spreads, like dex's for example, come close, but nothing really compares to 90/89/97 on the slate. This has a lot of synergy with the slow, mixed attacking approach the spread is going for. If you are making a mixed attacker, you want Boomburst and Extreme Speed. And if you have those two moves, you get a lot of value out of Tera Fairy, which gives us a more neutral defensive profile to take advantage of this spread's natural bulk. That is solid stat synergy with our generational mechanic, ability, and movepool, which is really cool. The spread is also flexible enough to run a couple different EV spreads and natures due to equal offenses. It can make team and meta calls in how much Speed to invest in and which offense to more heavily focus on. It is all-around a strong spread and should be slated.

Scizivire 's spread highlights best the strength of special Fire STAB. We have seen how Pokemon have used sun support and moves like Fire Blast and Overheat to overcome Fire resists, and this spread can do the same while having a Sylveon+ Hyper Voice. What I think gets glanced over is how this idea of strong, mid-speed Fire-type breaker on a sun team is actually inherently synergistic with Jumbao's own offensive profile. If you are using CAP32 to break down Fire and Fairy resists with its sun-boosted and Pixilated STABs through raw power, Jumbao is not only supporting you; CAP32 is clearly a path for Jumbao to become a mid-to-endgame threat with its own strong Moonblast. These two do share the same issue of being slower than 98 base Speed which leaves them exploitable by a handful of faster threats, but this is a solid gameplan that is best actualized by a Hyper Voice spread's higher offensive profile. It is a powerful breaking spread that is in-line with current teambuilding structures and should be slated.

Tommaniacal 's spread does something vary similar to Scizivire's but on the physical side. I think this is a bit weaker as a breaker since Pokemon can just Recover/Slack Off in the face of you killing yourself with Flare Blitz recoil, but the trade off is having access to ExtremeSpeed to help pick off some of those faster threats that annoy sun and other offense teams, like Dragapult. 88 Speed has a little more potential than just creeping Great Tusk; after a Rapid Spin (which the spread doesn't explicitly mention but would be worth consideration if it won) even an Adamant nature outspeeds Stratagem, and if you are somehow able to shoehorn yourself to +2 Speed you outspeed Booster Energy Iron Valiant (and Roaring Moon if you commit to Jolly.) I am a big fan of emergent design space, and the idea of being able to find ways to capitalize on these speed tiers later on in the project is quite enticing. It doesn't have the switching bulk afforded to some of the slower spreads, which is a reasonable trade-off for the Speed and power. It is a generally good spread that can swing more liberally with Double-Edge due to its Speed tier and should be slated.

Brambane 's (lol self-tag) spread focuses on the advantage of diverse Speed control options. A base 95 Double-Edge outdamages a base 130 Extreme Speed, so if you want to hit with your strong Fairy moves this spread can have it both ways. Against the myriad of things you outspeed you get more damage, while the faster things mostly take SE damage for Extreme Speed anyways and are easy to put within KO range. It trades this dual approach to offensive threats by having just lower breaking power, instead having to rely more on pivoting moves or support like Spikes or Knock Off for progress into balance teams. It also can dip into the field of Fire-type sun attackers thanks to its naturally high Speed. This spread focuses on the advantage of speed control in teambuilding in a flexible and diverse way and should be slated.

So if all four of them should be slated, just slate them all.

This concept is a stats-focused concept. The actualization of what we wanted to achieve from all the previous stages is here; this is the big cheese. It is not a rule of process to only slate eight spreads, and if there was ever a concept and process to have a larger stats slate, it would 100% be this one. Every spread brings its own strengths to the table with the same tools available, which I think is highly indicative of a successful prelude to this point. I do not believe any of these slates would fail us when it comes to a finished product, so that is also a non-issue here. There is marginal overlap between the ten spreads, so I do not see any reason to not include all the spreads unless we want to somehow manipulate voter patterns in a way I cannot see, which itself would almost certainly be unethical anyways.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Amamama's spread should really be replaced with Binpin's. Placing emphasis on the Meowscarada match-up is honestly weird all things considered, since Meowscarda is not going to typically want to stay in against us (And we can't switch-in on it super well regardless since it threatens us quite easily with Knock Off). Furthermore, the special bulk on binpin's spread is notably quite huge, and like I sort of expressed with my own spread, I think that having high special bulk here is fairly important, and there are also not really any spreads on the slate right now that emphasis having high special bulk and having high speed, and the inclusion of binpin's spread helps address that.

Sorry Scizivire but this spread is just too much. In Concept Assessment, one example we established is Nidoking who is a threatening special attacker with its 85/85 special sweepiness. This spread is WAY more than that. 127/88 is pretty close to Tapu Lele, who I would not consider Bang Average at all. Even the special bulk isn't too bad for an offensive mon.

But I think spoo said it better than I ever could back in Stat Limits:

"Moving on, I think Hyper Voice is a huge distraction. In my opinion, this concept is not about skirting the line between “average” and “above average”, using as much power as possible while still “getting away with it”, but instead about pushing our stats as low as possible while still being strong. In this sense, there is little to no reason to use Hyper Voice over Boomburst––it is actively choosing higher stats to achieve the same result. The one justification I have seen for HVoice > Boomburst is to maintain a strong Fire STAB, but I have also yet to see why this is even necessary in practice. It seems to me like people are arguing for this point just because they can. Why is having a stronger Fire STAB than Fairy STAB important for CAP32? Why is it necessary to hit harder with our Fire moves when it also means having less “bang average” stats? I need practical answers to these questions before I can support Hyper Voice in any form."

But yeah, we shouldn't slate Hyper Voice spreads just because we can.

I also don't love Explosion Badger's because it doesn't do anything to set us apart. The end goal of each CAP should not just be "let's make something that looks viable on paper" it should also be "let's make something that stands out and has a reason to be used in the metagame." Yeah Boomburst kills everything, but so does Iron Moth, which this is slower than and its stronger STAB can't be boosted by Sun. Spikes does help set it apart a little, but not by much IMO.

The rest of the slate looks fine. That would give us 5 spreads, which is less than normal but I think that's okay. I'm indifferent on whether Amamama's or BinPin's makes the slate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)