CAP 31- Final Product (2.0 Release)

SHSP

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributor
Once again, I'm proud to show the final product of a CAP Process. CAP 31 has been an incredible process, both in general and for myself personally. We've had some really incredible discussions throughout each stage. In typing, we found our way through STAB vs non-STAB typings and ending up with a unique one- the second monotype CAP ever, the first since Stratagem all the way back in DPPT. Ability had a ton of amazing discussion debating the pros and cons of immunities and leveraging our signature Diamond Storm. Moves and Stats similarly had in depth debates over a CAP that was in an unusual spot of being left more open ended and less defined going into the back half of the project. I'd like to take a moment in this post to give a few thanks, as well. Firstly, the CAP Mod Team was once again amazing as usual, helping myself and the TLT every step of the way. Next, the TLT- you guys are not only some of my best friends on this site, but you guys are absolutely incredible leaders and workhorses of the project, and really stepped up to get us across the finish line when my life started getting significantly more busy. Lastly, I just want to thank the community at large: this process is incredibly special to me, between being my second go at TLing, and being timed in the middle of my last year of school, graduation, and starting the next step of my life. You guys are one of the best groups of people I've had the good fortune to meet and be around, and I really can't thank you enough.

With that being said, here's CAP 31: Saharaja!

1656277775529.png

1656277783704.png

Concept:

Name: Forbidden Fruit

Description: This Pokémon is permitted access to a singular move from the prohibited moves list.

Justification: In most projects, we are barred from including these mechanics because they are considered some of the strongest options available in-game. Even with the addition of the clause allowing TL and Movepool SL to approve these moves, it is unlikely to ever be implemented given how late into the project this decision is made. This target concept aims to expand the project toolbox and explore how an immediate power spike in the project impacts subsequent design choices.

Questions:

While the prohibited moves list is dominated by many high base power moves, are there any lower base power or status moves worth considering over them?
How important should STAB be if we select a damaging move?
Should we aim to build a Pokémon that maximizes the potential of our move within the context of the CAP meta or that simply uses it as an additional tool in its kit?
What type of roles are enabled best by the inclusion of these moves compared to our basic toolbox?
Will selecting a powerful move early negatively impact the selection of stat limits or does it allow us to reprioritize the way we build stats?
Given the general distaste for the oversaturation of offensive threats in the meta, how will this external factor influence our decisions when faced with a move from the prohibited move list
Should this concept be expanded to all signature moves and not just the legend exclusive moves since they are often considered taboo to include?
How important should distinguishing our Pokémon from the original user be?

Concept Move: Diamond Storm
Type: Ground
Primary Ability: Water Absorb
Secondary Ability: Serene Grace
Hidden Ability: Sand Spit

Stats: 70 HP / 120 Atk / 105 Def / 65 SpA / 130 SpD / 90 Spe
Attract, Diamond Storm, Earthquake, Endure, Pain Split, Leech Seed, Power Whip, Horn Leech, Taunt, Thunder Wave, Swords Dance, Rapid Spin, Round, Stealth Rock, Snore, Heal Bell, Body Press, Sucker Punch, Body Slam, Rock Slide, Poison Jab

2.0 Movepool:
Final Submission

Bold: Required Move

Itatlics: Repeated Move

1 Diamond Storm
1 Horn Leech
1 Heal Bell

1 Tackle
1 Sand Attack
1 Sand Tomb
1 Taunt
1 Water Gun
1 Bulldoze
1 Sandstorm
1 Thief
1 Stomp
1 Earthquake
1 Double-Edge
1 Stockpile
1 Spit Up
1 Swallow
1 Fissure
Evo Diamond Storm

Evolves via Shiny Stone

Went with a Shiny Stone evolution since CAP hasn't a Stone evolution yet, plus I figured that the Shiny Stone really fit the rags to riches motif here. I stuffed Horn Leech and Heal Bell in as Move Relearner moves since I didn't really think they fit anywhere in the Level-Up Movepool section but I couldn't really just stuff them into Egg Moves like I usually like do do for moves like these. Most of these are pretty standard except for Water Gun and the Stockpile trio, which I really decided to only include just for the funny joke about spitting. Also Diamond Storm is a evolution move because why wouldn't it be one?

As for the rest of the level-up moves, I decided to go with mostly just Ground-type and Normal-type moves. Only real exceptions here are Taunt and Thief (Which have fairly obvious explanations) and Sandstorm (Which is fairly standard for Ground-types to get via Level-up).

Egg Group: Field

Ancient Power (:Dunsparce::Piloswine:)
Pain Split (:Stufful:)
Rapid Spin (:Sandshrew::Sandshrew-Alola::Torkoal::Drilbur:)
Water Pulse (:Psyduck::Vaporeon::Wailmer::Sobble:)

Pain Split and Rapid Spin are in here because I didn't really like how they fit in the Level-up movepool as they don't make a whole lot of sense flavor wise. Ancient Power and Water Pulse are here because I thought they would be pretty cool flavor, and the former also enables some funny Serene Grace interatctions, but just didn't really have a whole lot of room to put them in Level-Up movepool so they go here instead.

TM01: Mega Kick
TM02: Pay Day
TM08: Hyper Beam
TM09: Giga Impact
TM21: Rest
TM23: Thief
TM24: Snore
TM25: Protect
TM31: Attract

TM32: Sandstorm
TM39: Facade
TM48: Rock Tomb
TM49: Sand Tomb
TM53: Mud Shot
TM57: Payback
TM76: Round
TM81: Bulldoze
TM98: Stomping Tantrum

I mostly just decided to copy Mudbray and Mudsdale's TM learnsets and applied them here, so I ended up with a fairly small TM list as a result. That's not really a bad thing though, since I think most of the moves here make sense and there isn't a whole lot of unnessecery moves.

TR00: Swords Dance
TR01: Body Slam
TR10: Earthquake
TR20: Substitute

TR24: Outrage
TR26: Endure
TR27: Sleep Talk
TR37: Taunt

TR63: Power Gem
TR67: Earth Power
TR70: Flash Cannon
TR75: Stone Edge
TR76: Stealth Rock
TR79: Heavy Slam
TR92: Dazzling Gleam
TR94: High Horsepower
TR99: Body Press

Mostly the same as what I did for TMs but I decided to add a couple other things as well. Power Gem, Flash Cannon, and Dazzling Gleam are all here to put emphasis on the Saharaja's diamonds, while Outrage was given namely for a bit of flavor with its Japanese name (Imperial Rage) which I thought would be a cool easter egg. Also I have Stone Edge but not Rock Slide because I wanted to give Saharaja a good Rock-type move in the likely case that Diamond Storm gets axed in early Gen 9 so it's not just up shit creek without a paddle in that regard, and there already is some precedent for Pokemon getting Stone Edge but not Rock Slide, with some notable examples being most of the legendary musketeers, Gyarados, and Bisharp.

Scorching Sands
Lash Out

I don't really have a whole lot to say in this regard

Ancient Power
Attract
Body Press

Body Slam
Bulldoze
Dazzling Gleam
Diamond Storm
Double-Edge
Earth Power
Earthquake
Endure
Facade

Fissure
Flash Cannon
Giga Impact
Heal Bell
Heavy Slam
High Horsepower
Horn Leech
Hyper Beam
Lash Out
Mega Kick
Mud Shot
Outrage
Pain Split
Pay Day
Payback
Power Gem
Protect
Rapid Spin
Rest

Rock Tomb
Round
Sand Attack
Sand Tomb
Sandstorm
Scorching Sands
Sleep Talk
Snore

Spit Up
Stealth Rock
Stockpile
Stomp
Stomping Tantrum
Stone Edge
Substitute
Swallow
Swords Dance
Tackle
Taunt
Thief
Water Gun
Water Pulse

Prevo Movepool

1 Tackle
1 Sand Attack
4 Sand Tomb
8 Taunt
12 Water Gun
16 Bulldoze
20 Sandstorm
24 Thief
28 Stomp
32 Earthquake
36 Double-Edge
40 Stockpile
40 Spit Up
40 Swallow
44 Fissure

Went with learning a new move every 4 Levels just to copy Mudbray.

Egg Group: Field

Ancient Power (:Dunsparce::Piloswine:)
Pain Split (:Stufful:)
Rapid Spin (:Sandshrew::Sandshrew-Alola::Torkoal::Drilbur:)
Water Pulse (:Psyduck::Vaporeon::Wailmer::Sobble:)

Unchanged from Saharaja

TM01: Mega Kick
TM02: Pay Day
TM21: Rest
TM23: Thief
TM24: Snore
TM25: Protect
TM31: Attract

TM32: Sandstorm
TM39: Facade
TM48: Rock Tomb
TM49: Sand Tomb
TM53: Mud Shot
TM57: Payback
TM76: Round
TM81: Bulldoze
TM98: Stomping Tantrum

Just have Hyper Beam and Giga Impact removed since we aren't fully evolved

TR00: Swords Dance
TR01: Body Slam
TR10: Earthquake
TR20: Substitute
TR26: Endure
TR27: Sleep Talk
TR37: Taunt

TR67: Earth Power
TR76: Stealth Rock
TR79: Heavy Slam
TR94: High Horsepower
TR99: Body Press

Removed Outrage since there Saharascal doesn't become royal until it evolves, and removed the moves that reference the diamonds as well since it doesn't have those yet. Also removed Stone Edge since non-Rock types usually don't learn the move until they are fully evolved, and all of the Pokemon that can learn Rock Slide but not Stone Edge are also fully evolved anyways.

Scorching Sands

Removed Lash Out partially due to the inspiration from Mudsdale (Mudbray doesn't get Lash Out until it evolves so I just decided to copy that here)

Ancient Power
Attract
Body Press

Body Slam
Bulldoze
Double-Edge
Earth Power
Earthquake
Endure
Facade

Fissure
Heavy Slam
High Horsepower
Mega Kick
Mud Shot
Pain Split
Pay Day
Payback
Protect
Rapid Spin
Rest

Rock Tomb
Round
Sand Attack
Sand Tomb
Sandstorm
Scorching Sands
Sleep Talk
Snore

Spit Up
Stealth Rock
Stockpile
Stomp
Stomping Tantrum
Substitute
Swallow
Swords Dance
Tackle
Taunt
Thief
Water Gun
Water Pulse

Height: 2.3 m
Weight: 303.9 kg
Color Group: White

After discussing with Noah and the TLT, we decided to take the average height/weight of a camel and add some to it, for the added height and weight of the diamonds that Saharaja carries.

Post-Play Lookback Results:
With the conclusion of the post-play lookback, we have finalized CAP 31. Following the polls, we have decided to lower Saharaja's attack by 8,, special defense by 7, speed by 12, and limit its movepool, removing Power Whip, Poison Jab, Rock Slide, Leech Seed, Sucker Punch, and Thunder Wave.

Code:
CAP 31 - Part 17 - Post Play Lookback Poll 2
# FIRST-PAST-THE-POST VOTING #

Ballots: 35

———————————————————————————————
RUNDOWN
———————————————————————————————
1. Package 3 by spoo (21)       ——> winner!
2. Package 2 by shnowshner (14)
Congrats to spoo. Saharaja will receive the following changes:
-8 Atk
-7 SpD
-12 Speed
-Power Whip, Poison Jab, Rock Slide, Leech Seed, Sucker Punch, Thunder Wave
Additionally, here's the Inaugural Battle, where Rabia stomps me out in the camel duel!
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8cap-1604808350

Last edited:

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Out of all the processes I have participated in so far, this one has probably been my favorite. I immensely enjoyed participating even if I couldn't do it quite as much as I wanted to (Mostly due to work getting in the way). I hope to see all of you again after we get the process ready for Gen 9.

Also this is the fourth time in a row that we did a move-based concept for the last CAP of a generation. This can't be a coincidence.

Admittedly, I didn't have my full heart into this generation for the most part, but the five mons we got came out great thanks to all of your effort. I hope to participate more for Gen 10 9 if I can enjoy the actual games. Galar just hasn't been that fun. Too bad no BDSP/Legends CAP, though.

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
Curious That The Inaugural Battle Conviently Cuts Off Right Before I Lamented How The Create-A-Pokemon Community Has Forced Me Into Unpaid Labor As The Compiler Of Usage Stats For The Upcoming CAP Premier League VIII, The Most Prestigious Tournament For The CAP Metagame And The First To Have Both 8 Slots And A Custom Avatar For The Winning Team, Which One Can Sign Up For By Visiting Https://Www.Smogon.Com/Forums/Threads/CAPPL-VIII-Player-Signups-Custom-Avatar-Prize.3703552/ For An Opportunity To Make New Friends, Win The Ultimate Showdown Prize, And Try Out The Incredible New Create-A-Pokemon Custom Pokemon Creation "Saharaja" In A Competitive Environment, The Same Tournament That I Need 140 Sign-Ups For In Order To Be On Payroll At $.03 Per Every Time I Press The Control+V Keys On My Keyboard.

Again Anyone Can Sign Up At Https://Www.Smogon.Com/Forums/Threads/CAPPL-VIII-Player-Signups-Custom-Avatar-Prize.3703552/ For The Greatest CAP Tournament Experience One Can Have And That Juicy Custom Avatar Prize For The Team Which Goes The Extra Mile.

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
This was the first full CAP process that I got the treat to be apart of, and I think the turnout was fantastic. We wound up with an incredibly fun looking Pokemon that I am going to have a blast toying with and building around, and the art-based processes were just as riveting, especially with all the fun banter in the flavor channels.

I had no idea the CAP process would be this thrilling and, honestly, now that I've really given it the ol' college try, I realized I've really been missing out, so I'm glad I chose to hop along for this one and I have no regrets in doing so. I'm really looking forward to what the future holds for CAP 32 whenever we get around to it! You can count on me sticking around for that, haha.

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
I'm really looking forward to using this lovely camel in matches down the road. It was another amazing process that leaves me pretty pleased with CAP's processes through Gen 8. If this is the last CAP made in Gen 8 as planned, then I'm very happy to have seen all of these processes take shape. Saharaja is looking to be a present force in the metagame, and I can't wait to see ho the meta adapts (Saharaja + Ferrothorn looks to be fun enough) in time for CAPPL :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)