CAP 28 Prevo - Part 3 - Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parroting Hyper Cutter/Neutralizing Gas/Compound Eyes as well! It's a very solid combination for the line.

I've thought about it a bit more, and I support retaining both abilities. Since flavor ability is being discussed for Miasmaw itself, this prevo can work with Hyper Cutter as its third Ability, or depending on whatever ability Miasmaw gets.

Magic Mayhem Maiden

formerly CorruptionInTheGovernment
As Hype Cutter won the flavor ability poll, I am going with Neutralizing Gas/Compound Eyes/Hyper Cutter as well. I kinda would like Neutralizing Gas to be the Hidden Ability since that is the most unique out of the three, but looking at PS Teambuilder, Neutralizing Gas and Compound Eyes overlap in the teambuilder so uh
Capture.PNG

Now that we have Hyper Cutter, I vote for no change. Let's keep Neutralizing Gas/Compound Eyes/Hyper Cutter

Slapperfish

Banned deucer.
Well, if Occam's Razor is anything to go off of, I suppose I'll repeat the sentiment of everyone else here and say we just stick with the abilities Miasmaw has.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
The CAP 28 TLT has decided that the order of Miasmaw's abilities will be Neutralizing Gas/Hyper Cutter/Compound Eyes. This set of abilities will automatically be slated.

If you want to nominate another set of abilities for Miasmaw's pre-evo, you may now do so. Please nominate sets of abilities in <Ability 1>/<Ability 2>/<Hidden Ability> order, as defined in the OP!

This thread will stay open for until 48 hours after this post was made, which is about 41 hours from now!

Magic Mayhem Maiden

Capture.PNG

Sorry for using this image 3 times
On a formatting basis on Pokemon Showdown website, I would go Neutralizing Gas/Compound Eyes/Hyper Cutter. Neutralizing Gas first since that is the main selling point.

On my viewpoint basis, I think Hyper Cutter should not be the Hidden ability, since it's a seemingly "standard" ability and is really simple. I feel like Compound Eyes and Neutralizing Gas can both be acceptable for the hidden ability slot, but I prefer Neutralizing Gas since that is a much more unique ability in effect compared to Compound Eyes. Looking closer at Hyper Cutter, every pokemon with that ability has it in their first ability slot, so I would go with Hyper Cutter/Compound Eyes/Neutralizing Gas, although I am also fine (albeit less) with Hyper Cutter/Neutralizing Gas/Compound Eyes.

Last edited:

Slapperfish

Banned deucer.
On my viewpoint basis, I think Hyper Cutter should not be the Hidden ability, since it's a seemingly "standard" ability and is really simple. I feel like Compound Eyes and Neutralizing Gas can both be acceptable for the hidden ability slot, but I prefer Neutralizing Gas since that is a much more unique ability in effect compared to Compound Eyes. Looking closer at Hyper Cutter, every pokemon with that ability has it in their first ability slot, so I would go with Hyper Cutter/Compound Eyes/Neutralizing Gas, although I am also fine (albeit less) with Hyper Cutter/Neutralizing Gas/Compound Eyes.
Both Neutralizing Gas and Compound Eyes have a greater competitive role than Hyper Cutter. Also, CAP typically relegates the HA slot for flavor over actual competitive usage. I'd argue against both these sets and say we just stick with Neutralizing Gas/Compound Eyes/Hyper Cutter for the sake of simplicity.

dex

Give my perception as a handle of weapon
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I am in favor of Neutralizing Gas/Hyper Cutter/Compound Eyes. The gas is a pretty big part of Miasmaw's overall design, while the eyes I feel are less so than the flavor behind Hyper Cutter.

I'm in support of maintaining the order as is, because there isn't much of a need to rearrange the abilities.

Magic Mayhem Maiden

Both Neutralizing Gas and Compound Eyes have a greater competitive role than Hyper Cutter. Also, CAP typically relegates the HA slot for flavor over actual competitive usage. I'd argue against both these sets and say we just stick with Neutralizing Gas/Compound Eyes/Hyper Cutter for the sake of simplicity.
Flavor Side: Sure almost every "normal" CAP mon has flavor ability in its HA slot, but why do we have to follow that? I don't think any of the previous CAP mons had an option to reorder abilities that I have seen of, and some normal pokemon doesn't have their competitive abilities in the first slot (ex. Clefable). From a flavor standpoint, Hyper Cutter is the most "normal" of the 3 abilities in Miasmaw I feel, so it shouldn't be the HA I feel.
Technical Side: On the other hand... having Neutralizing Gas in the first slot makes it so that a person can't choose the wrong ability in a hurry. And also the overlapping text does feel unprofessional.
Oh this was for the prevo I didn't know that.

Last edited:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Just to be clear, we are not changing the order of Miasmaw's abilities. If you want to make a case for the pre-evo having abilities being in a different order than Miasmaw, feel free to discuss that, but otherwise, further discussion about the order of Miasmaw's abiltiies will be moderated.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
Judging by the previous discussion and the lack of nominations for alternate set of abilities for CAP 28's pre-evo after nominations were open, the set of abilities Neutralizing Gas/Hyper Cutter/Compound Eyes wins by default!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)