CAP 28 Prevo - Part 3 - Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hi all! We will be deciding CAP 28 pre-evo's abilities in this thread. So far, we have decided two of Miasmaw's abilities: Neutralizing Gas/Compound Eyes. Note that Miasmaw may receive a third, flavor ability later, in which case we will add it for discussion. This thread is open early for discussion on the abilities we are known to get.

Note that ability set submissions will not be open until we have decided on Miasmaw's flavor ability (or lack of) and the order of Miasmaw's abilities. After Miasmaw's abilities are decided, you must submit sets of abilities for CAP 28 pre-evo in the format Ability 1/Ability 2/Hidden Ability (if applicable).

CAP 28 pre-evo so far:

Design (by Sunfished):

Typing: Bug/Dragon

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
Neutralizing Gas seems like it should still be the default, the gas is way too prominent to not take into account.

However, the eyes seem much less pronounced in this design, so I'd be in favour of replacing the compound eyes ability.

Possible replacements could include Shed Skin, Strong Jaw, or simply No Competitive Ability.

However Dragon's Maw is prob the most fitting ability ever.

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Dragon's Maw fits let's give it that

In all seriousness, I think both abilities from Miasmaw work totally fine for the prevo. I dont see the need to change here.

Neutralizing Gas should still be here. If we want to change anything, it should be Compound Eyes. That being said... I think we are fine with keeping it. If we do want to discuss an alternative, I think Hyper Cutter is worth looking at. Its shared by a lot of other Pokemon who have either massive claws or (relevant in our case) jaws such as Mawile and Trapinch.

dex

Give my perception as a handle of weapon
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I agree in keeping Neutralizing Gas, but considering it gets a lot more buggy once it evolves, I think Hyper Cutter, Strong Jaw, or Rough Skin are good options flavor-wise.

MrPanda

not a bear
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
I agree that there's no needing to change any ability from Miasmaw to baby maw. Both of them fit well on it. However, if we're gonna change any of them, I think Compound Eyes is the best one. In that sense, Hyper Cutter is my current favorite, it fits very well here. Additionally, I don't like Strong Jaw as an option here because it makes a great pun, yeah, but all the Pokemon with Strong Jaw have big real jaws (and probably big teeth too), unlike baby maw, whose "strong jaw" is actually its body using mimetism to simulate a dragon maw and its real jaw isn't anything but mediocre.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Keep both abilities. We always try and change stuff, but its kinda unnecessary

Slapperfish

Banned deucer.
To echo what a few people have already said, I could see us replacing Compound Eyes. A couple abilities spring to mind for me as suitable replacements, including Shed Skin and Shield Dust, the latter of which has yet to be brought up by any prior post. Shield Dust is a pretty omnipresent ability on other similar first-stage Bug-types like Caterpie, Wurmple and Scatterbug. Additionally, its Japanese name, Scales, works even better on a flavor level when considering L28's decided Bug/Dragon typing.

I will have to agree that Shed Skin and Shield Dust are the most fitting replacements for Compound Eyes here. They usually work pretty well on Bug-types that aren't fully evolved.

I support keeping both abilities. Koffing is able to keep Neutralizing Gas so this mon who's gas is important should keep it aswell. Compound Eyes doesn't make much sense to remove either for an already bug type.

I see no strong reasons to change the current abilities.

Shield Dust is not really complementary with Compound Eyes, as:
- the only Shield Dust to Compound Eyes transition is Caterpie to Butterfree
- notably, Venonat loses Compound Eyes for Shield Dust when it evolves
- Dustox and Scatterbug/Vivillon can have both abilities

Shed Skin is more common on middle, pupa stages (except for Kricketot, Burmy which has strong flavour for it, and Karrablast) and does not look especially fitting.

i's say to keep both abilities, both neutralizing gas and Compund Eyes fit very well, but i'll also mention shed skin as a possible replacement to compound eyes but i will not lose sleep if that dopesnt happen

I'm a fan of having both abilities. Maybe the prevo could have a different flavour ability from Miasmaw when we decide what it is

Magic Mayhem Maiden

formerly CorruptionInTheGovernment
We don't really need to change the abilities since they are fitting and I think I support this since the evolution doesn't seem to go through metamorphosis but just growing, but I still think Hyper Cutter could be a neat replacement for Compound Eyes since it has a big maw and the Attack stat is a prominent part of Miasmaw.

I don't think things such as shed skin and shield dust would fit, those are common on basic bugs yes, but the majority of those are bugs that either evolve into a cocoon then a butterfly-esque pokemon, or straight to the butteryfly-esque pokemon, which 28 does not.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I again argue that these abilities do not need changing at all, and with Hyper Cutter picking up traction as the most discussed HA option for Miasmaw, I believe we should follow suit if it is decided.

If we get Hyper Cutter as our flavour ability, then I think we are fine with keeping all 3. Hyper Cutter is relevant to both Miasmaw and its prevo.

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
I'm in favour of running Neutralizing Gas/Hyper Cutter/Compound Eyes, if we do happen to stick with Hyper Cutter for Miasmaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)