CAP 27 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
This still open?

WIP

Sparklotl

Sparkle/Sparklers + Axolotl

Pronounced: Sparkle-lot-l

Decided to go real simple with this one. The sparkle/sparkler bit refers to its more firework-esqe, cutesy appearance, and the latter bit is what it is based on.

WIP 2

Ryuminous

Ryu (Japanese for Dragon) + Luminous

Pronounced: Re-u-me-nous

Another fairly simple one. Ryu relates to its Dragon typing, and Luminous for its more magical, firework based design.

Last edited:
Heatskink

Heatsink + Skink

Pronounced: heet-skink

I feel the concept art bears a good resemblence to many species of skink, plus sometimes you need a simple name that most people can figure out the roots of.

I've recently seen a lot of support for the name Pyroette in the thread and I just wanted to say that while I'm not entirely against the name I do think "Pyro-" is a bit of an easy route to take especially considering that Pyroar and CAP's own Pyroak already exist. That's a lot of the same root and I personally think that there are more interesting, creative and descriptive names out there. I think its an issue I have with most names that just reference "fire", yes, it is CAP27's type but we have such a unique set of inspirations for the design that we can get something more exciting!

Personally I am really in support of Astrolotl by Quanyails, and Galaxolotl by Birkal. I think "space" themed names are much more descriptive than generic fire themes, and capture the spirit of CAP27 significantly better. In addition I think that avoiding explicit references to the word "dragon" is wise, CAP27 may take inspiration from eastern dragons but I would say that it is less on the forefront than the Axolotl, Firework and Magical Girl themes and can be alluded to more creatively.

Just my two cents, keep up the good work everyone!
I'm not in love with either of those two, cause I really don't see the space thing in the design. Sure it looks magical, but since the gradient on the tail has been established as just a lighting effect, it doesn't really have anything space-related in its design. That said, I do absolutely agree that Pyroette is worn territory; we even have Meloetta who literally has a Pirouette form.

CobsonYaoi

formerly Holesum420
WIP

Droughtinuar

Pronounced: (Drowt-in-uar)

Drought + conti(nuar). Continuar is Dragon in spanish.

The reason I chose that name for CAP27 because it looks like something in a spanish legend.

WIP

Pyrotl

Pronounced: (Pie-rottle)

Pyro for fire of course, and otl because its an axolotl

Chose the name cause its short and sweet and and its obvious where it would get the name.

Cindraxo

Cinder + Draco + Axolotl

Pronounced: sin + drac + so

The typing is Fire/Dragon so it represent both fiery cinders and draco which is the Latin word for dragon. The face and tale have the qualities the axolotl.

WIP 1/3

Startl

Name is a play on the word Startle, also "STAR" + axolo"TL"

Pronounced: Similar to the word Startle
IPA: ˈstɑɹt(ə)l

Considering that it's a fast offensive utility/pivot who is meant to come in, then go out to heal with regenerator, Startl I feel that it is a very good and appropriate name.

Last edited:
WIP

Ryujyung

From Japanese ryu, "dragon", Chinese liúxīng, "shooting star", and Chinese jyun, "salamander" - essentially, "shooting salamander".

Pronounced: "REE-yoo-JEE-yung"

Last edited:

Seed Sower

is this thing on
is a Tiering Contributor
WIP 1

Astelisk

Combination of aster (Greek root word for star) + basilisk. Also a play on the word asterisk.

Pronunciation: as-tuh-lisk
IPA: /ˈæstəlɪsk/

Combination of aster (the Latin root word for star), referring to its starry and celestial theme, and basilisk, since it is clearly reptilian (even if axolotls are amphibians!). The frills around its neck vaguely resemble the shape of an asterisk (*), so this name is additionally a play on the word asterisk. Asterisks in grammar are used to draw attention to things and the flashy design of this Pokemon certainly draws one's attention.

WIP 2

Stellamander

Combination of stellar (of or relating to stars) + salamander.

Pronunciation: stell-uh-man-dur
IPA: /ˈsteləˌmændər/

Pretty straightforward and on the longer side as far as names go, but I think it rolls off the tongue nicely. I tried to avoid using the word axolotl since I think it's clunky and a little too on-the-nose for my taste.

Last edited:
Name Final Submissions can only be posted after a CAP Moderator posts in the thread announcing that final submissions are open. Any Final Submission posted prior to the Moderator announcement post will disqualify the submitter from the poll entirely. Even if the offending post is edited later or deleted, the submitter will still be disqualified for the remainder of the thread. This ensures that there is some time for discussion and that all submitters have equal opportunity to post Final Submissions without anyone unfairly "jumping the gun".
What's with all the final submissions? Did I miss the opening of them? I can't seem to find it on previous pages?

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Name Final Submissions can only be posted after a CAP Moderator posts in the thread announcing that final submissions are open. Any Final Submission posted prior to the Moderator announcement post will disqualify the submitter from the poll entirely. Even if the offending post is edited later or deleted, the submitter will still be disqualified for the remainder of the thread. This ensures that there is some time for discussion and that all submitters have equal opportunity to post Final Submissions without anyone unfairly "jumping the gun".

Please make a new post after the CAP moderator announcement for Final Submissions. Do not edit a previous post prior to the announcement to make it a Final Submission. All posts prior to the announcement post will be ignored for purposes of making the Name Poll.
Right from the OP of this thread. I encourage everyone to read the rules before posting in any CAP stage. If you have beef, take it up in CAP PRC. Carry on.

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
WIP

Droughtinuar

Pronounced: (Drowt-in-uar)

Drought + conti(nuar). Continuar is Dragon in spanish.

The reason I chose that name for CAP27 because it looks like something in a spanish legend.
Just want to echo what panic station has said, continuar doesn't mean dragon in Spanish, it is a verb that means "continue" or in this specific case of Google translate "drag on". The word for dragon in Spanish is dragón.

Dragoka

From "Dragon" + Japanese "Madoka" (a PMMM reference, PMMM being a magical girl anime)

Drenerva

From Norse "dreki" meaning dragon + "Minerva", after the Greek goddess

Meterkur
From"meteor" + Icelandic "sterkur" meaning "strong"

I'm not in love with either of those two, cause I really don't see the space thing in the design. Sure it looks magical, but since the gradient on the tail has been established as just a lighting effect, it doesn't really have anything space-related in its design. That said, I do absolutely agree that Pyroette is worn territory; we even have Meloetta who literally has a Pirouette form.
If you look at the tail, and body, it's apparent on where all the celestial or space inspiration comes from, even if the effect is unintended.

Last edited:
WIP

Pyrolaxis

Pronounced: PYRO - LAX - IS

From Pyro + Galaxis, which is German for Galaxy.

Helioway

Pronounced: HEEL - EO - WAY

From Helios (Greek sun god) + Milky Way (our galaxy). I believe Helios should be incorporated into CAP27 since CAP27’s design is space-themed and the sun is the first thing that pops up into my mind when the though “hot stuff in space” pops into my mind.

Celestraco

Pronounced: SE - LE - STRAY - CO

From Celestial, because celestial is related to space because of celestial bodies, and Draco because of its Dragon-typing.

Last edited:
WIP

Glamphiblaze

Glam + Amphibian + Blaze

Pronounced: "GLAM-fi-BLEYZ"

IPA: glæmˈfɪbleɪz

Edit: oops just realized that may be too similar to shadowshocker's (?)

Some other options then: Amphlagical (Amphibian + Conflagration + Magical) and Dramagiclast/dramagical (Drake + Magic (Dramatic) + Pyroclastic)

Last edited:
WIP 1

Basiere

Basilisk + Fiere

Pronounced: Bas-air

It has a few features like a snake so I used basilisk to express it more and fiery is simple

WIP 2

Influminae

Inferno+Luminate

Pronounced: In-flu-mee-nay

This Cap resembles a creature relating to light and having part fire, I added Inferno

WIP

Krakatotl

Krakatoa + Axolotyl

A famous active volcano in Indonesia for the Fire typing and then Axolotyl

(Crack-uh-tottle)

MrPanda

not a bear
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
I really don't understand why all these space references on the submissions. The Quanyails' design doesn't have any clear space references, and if you look at the art submissions stage they never mention a spacial/celestial inspiration. Actually, the only stated references are axolotl, magical girl, fireworks, and oriental dragons.

I know that we have creative freedom to make what we want with the submissions, but personally I don't like that approach it just sounds wrong, like we are hurting the original concept. Well, that's it. This was bothering me, and I wanted share it with someone. Best of luck for everybody.

Last edited:
Mr.Panda411, these are quotes from the actual designer in this very thread:
WIP (1/3):

Astralotl

Astral + axolotl

Pronounced: "as-tra-LOT-ul"
IPA: ˈæstɹəˌlɒtəl
I think it's fine to use space-themed words in a name (since fireworks are a night-time activity and space is classically thought of as divine or magical), but I'd be careful about referring to the moon specifically, as nothing about the design indicates a connection to the moon besides one of the inspirations.
As you can see, she both agreed with a connection between space and the design and proposed a space-themed name herself, so I think space-related names are in the clear!
(The tail in particular also pretty strongly evokes the night sky, for my own two cents.)
That's not to say that names should have to be space-related, but I don't think they should just be dismissed like that if they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)