can we reopen the politics thread yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I believe that there's been so much that happened from the ban to here that really should be talked about to justify reopening the politics thread.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I might be in the minority on this, but I feel like it's only a matter of time until the Politics thread would be reopened, only for something else to come along, warrant the thread being locked again, and then the cycle continues. It's less of "we shouldn't have a place to discuss politics" and more of "people are constantly saying some of the most disgusting and disgraceful stuff I've ever seen". From an outsider's perspective, I'd imagine the thread feels like a hassle to maintain and moderate, and the last thing the moderators deserve is to have even more to stress about.

I'm going to sit this discussion out, as someone who doesn't have an interest in either politics or the drama surrounding them. What I do want to do, however, is suggest an alternative option- a Politics Discord server someone could open and provide a link to in place of the public thread. That way, anyone who wants to contribute to the discussions can still do so without running the risk of hurting other people in our community who aren't as politically knowledged such as myself. It's just an idea at the end of the day. I'm sure you guys can be able to work this out.

I might be in the minority on this, but I feel like it's only a matter of time until the Politics thread would be reopened, only for something else to come along, warrant the thread being locked again, and then the cycle continues. It's less of "we shouldn't have a place to discuss politics" and more of "people are constantly saying some of the most disgusting and disgraceful stuff I've ever seen". From an outsider's perspective, I'd imagine the thread feels like a hassle to maintain and moderate, and the last thing the moderators deserve is to have even more to stress about.

I'm going to sit this discussion out, as someone who doesn't have an interest in either politics or the drama surrounding them. What I do want to do, however, is suggest an alternative option- a Politics Discord server someone could open and provide a link to in place of the public thread. That way, anyone who wants to contribute to the discussions can still do so without running the risk of hurting other people in our community who aren't as politically knowledged such as myself. It's just an idea at the end of the day. I'm sure you guys can be able to work this out.

I don't think it's really a matter of whether someone's knowledgeable. Almost all of the people posting there demonstrate a lot of ignorance of political issues, actors, decision-making, and more, and often it's through the lens of Anglophone populism. I don't think there's much point to opening a thread only for the conversation to degenerate into white Anglos lecturing on how Joe Biden is a genocidaire for not declaring war on Israel or that Nixon was the most based president for letting Mao suck his toes.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ironically I think the thread was in a much better/substantive place at its recent lockings than in many previous chapters of existence. When no key issues lead the news cycle there’s more pettiness and in big elections there is more ugly factionalism. BUT sometimes great discussion/perspective is even born there.

Either way, politics is never anywhere near as ugly in Cong than on platforms actually dedicated to politics. Conflict is a part of democracy— we choose a forum of words over violence. Not saying that a Pokémon forum has to be it.

Just like any human endeavor, if resources are not sufficiently allocated to manage something, it doesn’t go on. I’d prefer having the thread, killing it kills 1 significant engagement on the forum, but if it’s too big an ask for mods then that’s that, and I respect it.

Last edited:
if you take the test, you're barred from posting because you have demonstrated you're a gullible idiot who trusts in IQ tests.
They are valid for determining people's ability to comprehend complex mechanics and logic. The problem is more people thinking that higher IQ = more knowledgeable and wiser person instead of someone who's just better at a set of certain tasks

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
i was told by a reputable source that it was briefly reopened and all the traffic to the thread caused the site to go down. crazy.
Wait a second, is that why I couldn’t get online for a few hours earlier this evening!? I genuinely thought something happened to the site as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)