Burning Qurans?

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Also, where are you getting the ideas about the Bible being burned here ? I have never seen a holy book being burned (And I'd go against it). You don't understand that we all worship the same god, do you ?
This I thought was an interesting point. It demonstrates a significant point of difference between Islam and Christianity in this area. From an Islamic perspective you are worshiping the same god, from a Christian perspective you are not.

Most of the Christians think we are terrorist, but how do they know ? Just because the terrorist who blew up the WTC at 9/11 was Muslim doesn't mean all Muslims are terrorists, it doesn't mean all Middle Easterns are.
Most Christians do not think you are terrorists. This dude is a backwater nutjob that nobody pays any attention to, except when he becomes interesting by being at the top of the worlds biggest dickhead list.

For all the publicity the Islamic centre will go ahead, because the criticism really has no merit. This is basically all just pantomime..

Have a nice day.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You know, the only reason this was a controversy is because he got tons of media attention. Perhaps they should learn from people that deal with internet trolls and joust ignore him. If no one gave him any coverage, then he probably wouldn't have even burned any Korans.

I've met Christians who recognize that Islam worships the same deity.

Perhaps they should learn from people that deal with internet trolls and joust ignore him. If no one gave him any coverage, then he probably wouldn't have even burned any Korans.
That won't happen, because the media functions by getting ratings. Basically the media is the perfect outlet for trolls, because the media wants to show footage that will get a rise out of people.

Partially the media also doesn't care what may result from their news coverage, because they are all about the ratings. That is why by and large I hate the media.

Well this thread has turned into some weird argument over symbols and stuff, but in any case this thread is not really doing much. I might get a mod to close it but I'm not sure yet.

TL;DR
The priest wants to burn qurans because some extremists crashed themselves into the twin towers. by doing that, he is igniting a religion war between two nations that cannot end well.

you do know that in essence, Christianity and Islam worship the same god, share the same basics (no drinking, having sex outside of marriage etc.).

the quran is to us as the bible is to them, sacred and holy and should not be defiled in any way.

the media blew this out of proportion.

there are protests against america all around the world because of this.

not all muslims are terrorists.

the guy called it off, said that he contacted the imam about moving it. the imam denied it. we don't know who to believe now, the imam or the priest. now he is rethinking about it.

if he burns qurans, ww3. if not, we live peacefully with each other.

EDIT - It's just this all over again.

but you do know that this whole thing was just a troll bigger than boxxy?

Called off, of fucking course. Dude was just trying to get some national publicity for his 50 member church. Mission accomplished.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Well this thread has turned into some weird argument over symbols and stuff, but in any case this thread is not really doing much. I might get a mod to close it but I'm not sure yet.
This is the third or fourth time you've said this, but you need to understand that just because you started the thread doesn't mean you decide when it gets closed. If there is a worthwhile discussion happening, why would you ask a mod to close it? Why would they do it?

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Because said conversation has nothing to do with the thread title. Anyway I'm just going to leave it open.
No, he's right. I was going to post earlier but thought I would only bring it up if you asked, but you don't control when the topic is closed if the discussion is going on and is relevant. The discussion was at last glance still relevant. If you recall, I brought up symbols because it's what this entire thing is about - burning a symbol.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
TL;DR
The priest wants to burn qurans because some extremists crashed themselves into the twin towers. by doing that, he is igniting a religion war between two nations that cannot end well.

you do know that in essence, Christianity and Islam worship the same god, share the same basics (no drinking, having sex outside of marriage etc.).

the quran is to us as the bible is to them, sacred and holy and should not be defiled in any way.

the media blew this out of proportion.

there are protests against america all around the world because of this.

not all muslims are terrorists.

the guy called it off, said that he contacted the imam about moving it. the imam denied it. we don't know who to believe now, the imam or the priest. now he is rethinking about it.

if he burns qurans, ww3. if not, we live peacefully with each other.

EDIT - It's just this all over again.

but you do know that this whole thing was just a troll bigger than boxxy?
That's not exactly a tl;dr version, bro. :P

Agree though, on every word.

I'm glad this was called off, although its effect probably wouldn't have been as huge as everyone is making it out to be. I couldn't care less about the Qu'ran (I'm atheist), but I'm still opposed to book burning and hate speeches. You don't like someone, fine. But don't judge someone because of their lifestyle. You can hate them for their actions or attitudes, but not what they believe. As for book burning, do I even have to go into how savage and intollerant that is? As said before, this guy is a nut job, and only other nut jobs would view him as representative of all Americans. Maybe we should burn him instead. (Just kidding, please don't start a rant...)

No, he's right. I was going to post earlier but thought I would only bring it up if you asked, but you don't control when the topic is closed if the discussion is going on and is relevant. The discussion was at last glance still relevant. If you recall, I brought up symbols because it's what this entire thing is about - burning a symbol.
I thought this thread would probably just kill itself, bad assumption. And anyway, I have no idea why I thought about getting it closed, I was probably just half asleep or something.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This.

They have no reason to hate us, really.

If the terrorist that blew up at 9/11 was Christian or of any other religion, none of this mess would have happened.

We don't hate America, i personally love speaking in English more than Arabic, being a Middle Eastern myself.

Also, where are you getting the ideas about the Bible being burned here ? I have never seen a holy book being burned (And I'd go against it). You don't understand that we all worship the same god, do you ?

Most of the Christians think we are terrorist, but how do they know ? Just because the terrorist who blew up the WTC at 9/11 was Muslim doesn't mean all Muslims are terrorists, it doesn't mean all Middle Easterns are.
Quoting this cause I find it slightly offensive. I am a Christian but you suggesting that 'most Christians think that think we are terrorist' is a pretty serious generalization to make. I don't think that Muslims are terrorists, am aware that Al Qaeda was responsible for 9/11, and I am also aware that Al Qaeda does not represent the viewpoints of all Muslims. Heck I know I am not the only person who thinks this way. Basically please don't generalize on what you believe Christians think.

Have a Nice Day!

I'm a Muslim myself, I think this was pretty stupid of the guy. If he did what he was going to do, he would've started a HUGE war.

Didn't the wbc actually go through with burning the Quran themselves? Saw it on youtube. They called him a false profit and said they'd burn the quaran themselves.

The biggest problem that will arise if the dude goes onto burning the Qurans is the mass stereotyping different people would get of each other. That in turn will lead to more hate/War.

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Not for anything, but if Christians had killed two people protesting anything, the Media would condemn them as demons and guys with white beards would write songs about the "September massacre" or something like that. In the meantime Islam is still protesting despite the fact that that loon said he would call off the burning. Honestly it was that nut's fault for inciting this, but it is impossible to sympathize with anything that happens to Islam at this point for me, because inevitably certain people respond with violence.

It really is sad that a large group of people is smeared based on what a minority does, but I guess that is what happens everywhere. Maybe that's the real problem here-one person does something retarded, and then the victim group retaliates against a group they perceive as having been responsible, and then more and more innocents get dragged into it in a never-ending cycle.

Not for anything, but if Christians had killed two people protesting anything, the Media would condemn them as demons and guys with white beards would write songs about the "September massacre" or something like that. In the meantime Islam is still protesting despite the fact that that loon said he would call off the burning. Honestly it was that nut's fault for inciting this, but it is impossible to sympathize with anything that happens to Islam at this point for me, because inevitably certain people respond with violence.

It really is sad that a large group of people is smeared based on what a minority does, but I guess that is what happens everywhere. Maybe that's the real problem here-one person does something retarded, and then the victim group retaliates against a group they perceive as having been responsible, and then more and more innocents get dragged into it in a never-ending cycle.
Don't refer to 'ALL' muslims in your statement, all muslim scholars even said to ignore the retard as getting angry and worked up about what he's doing won't change anything. Also you can't say muslims respond with violence..only a small minority of people who have no self respect use violence and also...think about it if for some reason a retard who claims to be muslim burns another holy book..how do you think people will react..believe me it would be much worse than what the 'few' minority of hot headed muslims are doing.

Don't refer to 'ALL' muslims in your statement, all muslim scholars even said to ignore the retard as getting angry and worked up about what he's doing won't change anything. Also you can't say muslims respond with violence..only a small minority of people who have no self respect use violence and also...think about it if for some reason a retard who claims to be muslim burns another holy book..how do you think people will react..believe me it would be much worse than what the 'few' minority of hot headed muslims are doing.
It may just be me (it won't be), but a bunch of Muslims burning Bibles wouldn't cause Christian nations to declare war. Hell, even the passionate South American countries wouldn't declare war on any Muslim country. It would be strongly condemned if it was state supported, but the Christian nations wouldn't do something irrational like declare war. Hell, Christian nations don't get pissed off when Christians are prosecuted or mistreated in a few Muslim nations.

It may just be me (it won't be), but a bunch of Muslims burning Bibles wouldn't cause Christian nations to declare war. Hell, even the passionate South American countries wouldn't declare war on any Muslim country. It would be strongly condemned if it was state supported, but the Christian nations wouldn't do something irrational like declare war. Hell, Christian nations don't get pissed off when Christians are prosecuted or mistreated in a few Muslim nations.
yea your right. i think its just a few dumb people doing dumb stuff.

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Did you read what I said? I specifically mentioned the "majority getting smeared by the minority". Also I never once said "all". I can most certainly say Muslims respond with violence because it is true, as long as I mention that it is only certain Muslims who respond that way, and that the response is most likely not indicative of the larger group (which I did).

This is completely off. Most of you aren't noticing that 9/11 has passed, and this was to be done on 9/11. NO THREAT PF QURAN BURNINGS. Not to mention the media probably won't go crazy about it again.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Do you really think there wouldn't be negative backlash if Muslims had killed two people "protesting" something? Not to mention your second paragraph making you out to be a complete hypocrite.

This is completely off. Most of you aren't noticing that 9/11 has passed, and this was to be done on 9/11. NO THREAT PF QURAN BURNINGS. Not to mention the media probably won't go crazy about it again.
Unless I was mistaken, it was announced in the news that the baptist won't burn the Qurans. I'd discuss some points, but I'm guess I'm late to the flow anyway.

EDIT: OP confirms, haven't re-checked before posting this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)