Gen 7 Bug Monotype Team

I'd like to know what I'm doing right, and what I'm doing wrong with this team, I've got no problem in changing a poke or two, other than the beedrill:

Galvantula:

1582402087571.png

Moves - Volt switch
- Sticky web
-Electro web
-Thunder Wave

Ability: Compound Eyes

Item: Focus Sash

Evs: 252 Speed
252 Sp. Atk.
6 Sp. Def.

Nature: Timid

It can outspeed a lot of Pokemon, and the combo Thunder wave + Sticky web makes it the best opener I could think of to this team. I thought of giving it life orb to make the electroweb and the volt switch more dangerous options, but I finally decided to give it the Focus Sash so it can get to do the thunder wave and the sticky web every time. If the other poke is a Pokemon that usually has rest, the electroweb makes sure that the opponent can't be faster than the next poke I send. The volt switch is a move that helps to do serious damage when I retire my Pokemon. Don't know which one of those last two moves should I change to have a damaging option against ground type Pokemon

Scizor:

1582402402751.png

Moves: - Roost
-Sword Dance
-X scissors
-Bullet Punch

Ability: Technician

Item: Leftovers

EVs: -252 HP
-6 Def
-252 Sp. Def.

Nature: Impish

It's a classical sword dance Scizor, it's damage with sword dance is enough not to need to invest EVs on attack. Bullet Punch is a priority move that helps to compensate the lack of speed, and the Technician ability + Stab makes it an attack that is able of causing some serious damage after the setup of as many sword dances as possible is completed. Roost is a great move on Scizor, mainly because if the opponent can't make it lose half of it's HP in a turn (which many Pokemon can't) means that it can't die if there's no critical hit, if the oponent also is paralysed thanks to Galvantula, it may be able to boost while and heal freely. X-scissor is it's more damaging weapon, but I only use it when the opponent is resistant to Steel type, as the priority in bullet punch is really great. The x4 weakness to fire makes it a hard decision when to use it, but if the oponent lacks a fire Pokemon or have none left, it can be a great team member.

Scolipede:

1582402849537.png

Moves: - Poison Jab
- Protect
- Sword Dance
- Megahorn

Ability: Speed Boost

Item: Black Sludge

EVs: HP 6
Attack 252
Speed 252

Nature: Lonely (didn't manage to breed one with a nature that lowered it's Sp.Atk)

If I have type advantage and think the opponent will switch next turn (or has a poke that can't do real damage to scolipede), I use sword dance, if not; first move's protect to get the speed boost going. There's not much more to it than having luck with type advantages to get the sword dance and sweep as much as possible. Poison jabs with one or two sword dances on can sweep lots of Pokemon, and mainly fairies. With the speed boost it can easily outspeed most Pokemon, but it's defences aren't that good, so when it's at it's weakest (before sword dances), if it cant OHKO the opposing poke, it'll probably not be that useful. On the other hand, if it can tank a hit of the oponent and use the sword dance, you have a killing machine ready to go.

Butterfree:

1582403511364.png

Moves: - Air Slash
- Bug Buzz
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance

Ability: Tinted Lens

Item: Focus Sash

EVs: Sp. Atk. 252
Speed 252
Sp. Def. 6

First turn, after going into the battle, sleep powder, then quiver dances 'till the opponent wakes up, after that, use the best attack in relation to types, tho generally Bug Buzz thanks to the ability. It's main problem is if the opponent outspeeds it, but generally the opponents are slower thanks to the sticky web of Galvantula. It's defences are as thin as paper, but that's why the Focus Sash it's there. The Tinted Lens ability allows that, once it got enough quiver dances on, destroy most not special defence focused Pokemon with ease.

Volcarona:

1582403696027.png

Moves: -Quiver Dance
-Fiery Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Morning Sun

Ability: Flame Body

Item: Buginium Z

EVs: HP 246
Def. 132
Speed 132

Volcarona is surprisingly tanky for a bug type poke, and unless it's again a poke with a x4 type advantage against it (rock type), generally can survive to use the first Quiver Dance. If it gets that going, it's an almost unstoppable beast. One of it's serious weaknesses is the stealth rock that, if I'm not miss remembering, it can take 1/2 of it's HP. Taunt would also stop it from using quiver dance and morning sun. I chose morning sun over roost to have because many opponents know that I'll play a full bug type team will use fire type Pokemon as counter, and if one of those use Sunny Day or has an ability with the same effect, the morning sun increased effectiveness it's really helpful.

Beedrill:

1582404744098.png

Moves: - Drill Run
- Fell Stinger
- Poison Jab
- U-turn

Ability: Adaptability (Mega Evolution)

Item: Beedrillite

EVs: Atk. 252
Speed 252
HP 6

Nature: Jolly

Fell stinger used in the right moment makes Mega Beedrill attack go to an absurdly high level. Drill run destroys lots of pokes that have a type advantage against it (fire and rock) while it's useful against lot's of other pokes that are resistant to poison and bug type attacks. It's speed is great and so is it's attack, even without a fell stinger.
U-turn is great to keep it alive against Pokemon that can tank a hit and aren't at a type disadvantage. Poison jab is it's main damage dealing option, and if it's against a dark type Pokemon, I sometimes risk it for an early fell stinger, which sometimes work and makes the whole battle much easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, welcome to Smogon! I'm locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide at least 3 lines of descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at Team Showcase to see the level of detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions and I'll be happy to unlock this.

unlocked

Last edited:
Hi Valnir1717 I see you've got a creative Bug team here, You do seem adamant on keeping Mega Beedrill so I will keep that in mind when suggesting changes. (although Mega Beedrill is majorly outclassed by the other Mega options Bug has such as Mega Pinsir, Mega Scizor, and Mega Heracross). Now onto the changes:

Major Changes

:Butterfree: ---> :Forretress:
Butterfree ---> Forretress

The first glaring weakness in the team is that it lacks hazard removal and has no Stealth Rock of your own. Butterfree is outclassed by Volcarona as a Quiver Dance user and all in all, it is not that viable in the meta at all. Forretress brings a lot to the table. Rapid Spin allows you to clear hazards from your side of the field which is a huge benefit as teammates such as Volcarona and Mega Beedrill are weak to Stealth Rock. Stealth Rock is very self-explanatory, allows you to break sashes, and wear down opponents upon entry. Volt Switch allows Forretress to act as a slow pivot to safely bring in teammates. Lastly, Gyro Ball is able to hit threats such as Terrakion and can OHKO Mega Diancie which would otherwise be able to prevent Stealth Rock from going up.

:Scolipede:--->:Heracross:
Scolipede ---> Heracross

Scolipede, although it can go on a sweep late-game with Swords Dance and Speed Boost, often finds itself struggling to set up a Swords Dance due to its poor bulk. Choice Scarf Heracross allows you to threaten Pokemon such as Mega Charizard Y with Stone Edge which otherwise poses a huge threat to your team. Pursuit allows you to bust Heatrans Air Balloon on Steel teams, allowing Volcarona to sweep later in the match. Close Combat threatens both Rock and Normal teams. Megahorn threatens Psychic types. Moxie allows you to potentially go on a late-game sweep.

Minor Changes

:Galvantula:
Galvantula

The Galvantula set you are running is a solid basis for its role, being lead Sticky Web. However, it has no way of hitting Ground-types such as Swampert, Garchomp, and Gastrodon. Two great moves to fill in to cover these threats would be Energy Ball and Hidden Power Ice. Although Thunder Wave and Electro Web present themselves with utility in regards to an immediate speed reduction, they do not warrant slots on Galvnatula as much as Energy Ball and Hidden Power Ice. A Compound Eyes boosted Thunder outclasses Volt Switch as it is way stronger in base power, and has a 30% chance to paralyze. Volt Switch can allow Galvantula to pivot, however, Galvantula's role on Bug teams is a Sticky Web lead in most cases, therefore the power Thunder offers is beneficial.

:Volcarona:
Volcarona

Bulky Quiver Dance Volcarona can seem like a fine pick, however, a better pick for your team would be an offensive Quiver Dance set since you lack a powerful late-game sweeper such as Mega Pinsir. Fire Blast has a higher base power than Fiery Dance and allows Firium Z to reach its greatest potential base power which is a huge nuke to anything that doesn't resist. Hidden Power Ground allows you to hit Pokemon such as Heatran after its Balloon is popped, and Victini. Giga Drain allows you to sweep Water teams more easily, OHKOing Pokemon such as Keldeo, and Gastrodon, as well as OHKOing Rock types like Alolan Golem. Maximum Speed is key as you will be able to outpace Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Landorus-T and Choice Scarf Excadrill who otherwise would be able to revenge kill you.

:beedrill mega:
Mega Beedrill

Fell Stinger is not a great option on Mega Beedrill as easily revenge killed by a plethora of threats such as Choice Scarf Latios, Landorus-T Excadrill, etc, when it knocks out a Pokemon, and will usually be pivoting in and out of the battle with U-turn. Knock Off allows Beedrill to punish switch-ins and remove their item, such as Eviolite on Porygon2, and Black Sludge on Toxapex and overall has far more use on Mega Beedrill than Fell Stinger.

:Scizor:

Scizor

A Choice Band Scizor is more useful than a SpD Swords Dance regular Scizor on Bug teams. Choice Band can allow you to knock out Pokemon such as Victini and Latios with Pursuit who are both huge threats to Bug teams. This can help Mega Beedrill U-Turn more freely vs Psychic teams as the Choice Scarf Latios or Victini are removed from the game. Superpower allows you to OHKO Tyranitar and Steel-types that would want to switch into Scizor. U-Turn provides Momentum, and Bullet Punch, of course, a form of priority that helps you deal with Fairy and Rock teams better. A Jolly Nature is needed as it can outspeed Choice Scarf Victini after one use of V-create and Sticky Web.

That was all the recommendations I have, hope you enjoy the changes!

:galvantula: :Forretress: :Beedrill Mega: :heracross: :scizor: :Volcarona:
(click on the sprites for the importable)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)