Bronzong [GP: 2/2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

QC 3/3
GP 2/2

[OVERVIEW]

Bronzong's Steel / Psychic typing and Levitate ability grant it nine resistances and two immunities, including a resistance to Stealth Rock and an immunity to Spikes. Moreover, its good 67 / 116 / 116 bulk and access to Stealth Rock make it a good support Pokemon in Ubers. It is a great Stealth Rock setter, as it is able to set it up against many common Defog users, such as Water Arceus and Latias. With key resistances to Flying, Fairy, Dragon, and Rock and immunities to Ground moves and to Toxic, Bronzong is a great check to Xerneas and a counter to Ground Arceus, Mega Diancie, Latios, Latias, Sand Rush Excadrill, Rayquaza, Shaymin-S, Lugia, and Water Arceus. Finally, it is only slightly Taunt bait for a wall, as Gyro Ball allows it to 2HKO most Taunt users such as Mewtwo and Darkrai.

However, Bronzong struggles in a couple of situations and versus a couple of Pokemon. Its typing leaves it vulnerable to common Dark- and Ghost-type moves and threats. It's also setup bait for some Pokemon, such as Refresh Mega Salamence. Moreover, it lacks reliable recovery, which obliges the player who uses it to switch it in way less than they would like to. Finally, it is passive because of its weak offenses and invites many annoying Pokemon, especially Steel-types like Ferrothorn, to switch in on it.

[SET]

name: Special Tank
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Gyro Ball
move 3: Toxic
move 4: Protect / Trick Room / Skill Swap
item: Leftovers
ability: Levitate
nature: Sassy
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Bronzong is a great Stealth Rock user, being able to set it up versus numerous Pokemon in the tier, including very common Defog users such as Latias and Water Arceus. Gyro Ball is its most powerful STAB move because of its very low Speed; it is a great way to deal a decent amount of damage to faster Pokemon such as Xerneas. Gyro Ball can also punish Darkrai switch-ins and always OHKOes Mega Diancie. Toxic is used to cripple dangerous switch-ins such as Ho-Oh and Primal Groudon. Toxic can also hit support Arceus formes such as Ghost Arceus and Water Arceus, as well as Latias that come in to Defog. Protect is used to scout, for example against Choice Band Ho-Oh. It also carries added utility in its ability to stall out a poisoned Pokemon and safely recover some HP from Leftovers. Trick Room can also be used to greatly annoy offensive teams with proper team support. Finally, Skill Swap is an option if setting up Stealth Rock against Mega Sableye is a must for Bronzong's team.

Set Details
========

Maximum EVs in HP and Special Defense with a Sassy nature are used to let Bronzong check Xerneas and other special attackers such as Mega Diancie, Latias, Latios, and Shaymin. Leftovers is used for passive recovery. 0 IVs in Speed with a negative nature is a must to ensure optimum power for Gyro Ball. Running 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD with a Brave nature is another option; it ensures that Bronzong always survives any one hit from Xerneas and can OHKO it with Gyro Ball.

Usage Tips
========

Using Bronzong is quite simple. Switch it in against a Pokemon it checks or counters and set up Stealth Rock or Trick Room or spam Toxic if you predict a counter such as Ho-Oh to switch in. If you are facing Xerneas, don't forget that Bronzong lacks recovery so you need it healthy, which means you should limit the number of times Bronzong switches in. Be careful about taking a Will-O-Wisp from a support Arceus forme, such as Rock Arceus or Grass Arceus. In games where Bronzong is needed to check Geomancy Xerneas or repeatedly set Stealth Rock against a team with anti-hazard support, it might be advantageous for your opponent to allow their support Arceus to be inflicted with Toxic in exchange for crippling Bronzong with a burn. If you have cleric support, taking a Will-O-Wisp isn't as big of a deal. If you are using Trick Room against offense, you can set up against Mega Salamence and ExtremeKiller Arceus without Shadow Claw or Shadow Force. Finally, if you are using Skill Swap, Bronzong can catch Mega Sableye on the switch and set up Stealth Rock against it. You can also use Skill Swap in niche situations such as predicting Ho-Oh switching in and taking Regenerator, taking Aerilate from Refresh Mega Salamence, and escaping Mega Gengar by taking away its Shadow Tag on the switch.

Team Options
========

Bronzong should be paired with a solid Ho-Oh check such as Rock Arceus, Water Arceus, or Tyranitar, as well as Pokemon that check Primal Groudon, such as Latias. Using Bronzong gives your Primal Groudon more freedom in its set options. For example, you can now use an offensive Primal Groudon set with Swords Dance to break stall, as Bronzong releases it from its Stealth Rock duties. If you want to use Trick Room Bronzong, you need to pair it with Pokemon that take advantage of this condition, such Swords Dance or Eruption Primal Groudon and Dialga.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=========

An offensive Trick Room set with a spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD, a Brave nature, and a Normal Gem can OHKO Xerneas with Gyro Ball and set up Trick Room reliably. Running Explosion is a must on this set, as it allows you to switch a threat in safely after Bronzong explodes. Earthquake can be used on this set to deal good damage to Primal Groudon, too. Using Hidden Power Ice is an option to deal some damage to Mega Salamence and Rayquaza, but it won't do much coming off of Bronzong's low base 79 Special Attack. A dual screens set is another option, but faster Pokemon are better at this role. Finally, Hypnosis is an option to shut down temporarily some switch-ins, but it has terrible accuracy and sometimes Toxic helps more.

Checks and Counters
==============

**Mega Sableye**: Mega Sableye walls Bronzong completely and forces it out.
**Primal Kyogre**: Primal Kyogre resists Gyro Ball and can always 2HKO back with its strong water STAB moves. Even with Toxic, Bronzong can't touch or annoy Primal Kyogre's defensive RestTalk set.
**Status Absorbers**: Pokemon that resist Steel or are slow and have Rest don't have much trouble with Bronzong. This includes some Refresh Arceus formes.
**Mega Gengar**: Mega Gengar is immune to Toxic, and the standard Perish Trap set always wins against Bronzong.
**Steel-types**: Klefki and Ferrothorn can come in without any risk to set up entry hazards, spam status moves, and do other things to support their team.
**Dark-types**: Darkrai and Yveltal force Bronzong out and Taunt or deal massive damage to it.
**Ghost-types**: Ghost-types such as Ghost Arceus and Mega Gengar can either set up on Bronzong, force it out, or KO it.
**Fire-types**: In particular, Ho-Oh and Primal Groudon resist Gyro Ball and can OHKO Bronzong with Sacred Fire and Fire Punch, respectively.

Last edited:
Remove all mentions of the offensive set from Usage Tips and Team Options. The only place you should talk about that set is in Other Options, although you are free to devote several sentences to it there (I quite like that set!) Definitely move the third bullet point in Team Options down to Other Options, when you talk about the offensive set there.

The Introduction is fantastic, nothing to change there.

Remove "lacks recovery" and "weak offenses" from Checks & Counters, they belong in the Overview (where you listed them already).

In Checks & Counters, split up "Dark/Ghost Types" and "Taunters." Taunt Yveltal is a far better answer to this than Taunt Mewtwo, for example. Actually, is there anything that gets Taunt that is a definite Bronzong check other than Darkrai and Yveltal? I cannot think of one, even though LO Mewtwo 2HKOes this with Fire Blast. I might have you remove the Taunt mention entirely...even though Taunt shuts down Bronzong in theory, in play Taunt users that don't beat down Bronzong with their STABs dislike Gyro Ball D:

Mention Primal Kyogre in Checks & Counters, it doesn't love switching into a Toxic at all but is still a check.

This looks good, I am going to end up approving this. Sorry if this check was worded poorly, I'm running on fumes at the moment.

Remove all mentions of the offensive set from Usage Tips and Team Options.
I didn't talk about any offensive Bronzong set in those 2 . Oo
Mention Primal Kyogre in Checks & Counters, it doesn't love switching into a Toxic at all but is still a check
It falls in the Status absorber category no? I talked about it in the extended form and gave many other examples everywhere.

Edit:I think you missed something, when i talk about trick room in usage tips and team option, I was talking about using trickroom as a fourth move option not the offensive trick room set.

Everything else is got fixed.

Last edited:
Yea that was a bad QC check, was too eager to give this a look when I'm basically running on 2 hour's sleep. Sorry, I'll recheck this when I'm in better shape.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just some small things I notice:

In the overview you mention how Zong has 1 weakness and then later mention how a con is that Steel doesn't resist Dark or Ghost anymore. It's better to just eliminate the "and just 1 weakness" from the pros section and mention in the cons section something along the lines of "weak to common Dark- and Ghost-type moves".

In moves you should probably mention that Toxic is also for support Arceus that come in to Defog, especially Arceus-Ghost. The only way this mon can try and beat Arc-Water and Arc-Grass is via Toxic as well which is important, especially since you mentioned that it can set SR against support Arc in the overview. Skill Swap can be used to get SR on Mega Sab, but I think you should also hit on the point that this set is 100% countered by Mega Sab without Skill Swap. You mention it in C&C but this is relevant enough to be mentioned here too.

For set details you could specifically mention more Pokemon or a calc as to justify to the reader why Zong runs SpD rather than Def in a meta that is more physically oriented.

In usage tips I think it deserves a mention that this mon doesn't really counter Geo Xern. If Zong switches into full health Xern as it uses Geomancy then Zong loses. I'd also mention how to mitigate health with Protect and elaborate a bit more on setting SR, for example why would you not set SR against an obvious incoming Arc Ghost (obvious to you but not necessarily obvious to the reader).

Mega Sab should probs be the first thing in C&C as it is a very relevant Pokemon and completely shuts down Zong unless it has Skill Swap. Mega Gengar should also probably get a specific mention as the standard set wins 1v1, Perish Trap pretty much always wins, and it's immune to Toxic.

In moves you should probably mention that Toxic is also for support Arceus that come in to Defog, especially Arceus-Ghost. The only way this mon can try and beat Arc-Water and Arc-Grass is via Toxic as well which is important, especially since you mentioned that it can set SR against support Arc in the overview.
Done I mentioned everything besides Arceus Grass which for me is not really viable unless for specific cteams.
Just some small things I notice:
For set details you could specifically mention more Pokemon or a calc as to justify to the reader why Zong runs SpD rather than Def in a meta that is more physically oriented
I mentioned more pokemon no problem. But about the justification on why zong runs spd instead of def in a physically oriented meta, i mean if the metagame is phy oriented doesn't mean there aren't dangerous special threats we need to check. there is no need to justify this by anything specially that i talk many times earlier that it counters support arceus forms, Mega Diancie etc who are all special.
In usage tips I think it deserves a mention that this mon doesn't really counter Geo Xern. If Zong switches into full health Xern as it uses Geomancy then Zong loses. I'd also mention how to mitigate health with Protect and elaborate a bit more on setting SR, for example why would you not set SR against an obvious incoming Arc Ghost (obvious to you but not necessarily obvious to the reader).
+2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Bronzong: 148-175 (43.7 - 51.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Thunder vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Bronzong: 172-203 (50.8 - 60%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Bronzong: 187-221 (55.3 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

It always lives moonblast and almost always thunder even without protect. It also has a chance to live focus blast with protect specially with the miss ratio.
I will emphasise on the importance of protect.
And about the arceus ghost that's 2 much details man idk why should i tell him to use toxic on arceus ghost intead of SR it's way 2 situational I can't teach him in which situations to spam toxic and when to use rocks in an analysis that's too much.

Everything else got fixed.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Overview:

- Mention that even though it is passive a good amount of the time, it is only slightly Taunt bait as Gyro Ball allows it to 2HKO most Taunt users.

Moves:

- Sure Gyro Ball is its most powerful STAB against most targets, but mention a bit more of what it does; e.g. helping to punish Darkrai switch-ins, OHKOing Mega Diancie, keeping Taunt Mewtwo from using Taunt risk free as it will lose half of its Life Orb hits and be in priority range of most priority users, etc. you only need a couple of the big examples, but at least add some meat as to why Gyro Ball is run.

- Mention in your write up that Refresh Mega Salamence has trouble against Skill Swap Bronzong as it can take away its Aerilate in order to make it use underwhelming attacks or switch out to regain its ability. It can also escape offensive Mega Gengar by stealing Shadow Tag which is worth the mention as well. You can have more Skill Swap fun by stealing Regenerator from a Ho-Oh switching in in order to heal and neuter Wobbuffet temporarily.

Usage Tips:

- you can split up the Skill Swap fun from moves and put it here if you want. I would prefer it that way, especially the Ho-Oh, Gengar, and Salamence mentions, but its ultimately up to you so long as they are all mentioned in the set analysis somewhere.

- Mention something about keeping it away from Arceus-Rock and -Grass in situations where Bronzong's health is needed as they carry Will-O-Wisp which will ruin its Protect slot and make it so it can no longer check Geoxern and is whittled rather easily against stall (I am mainly speaking in reference to Sweep's Grasseus Stall). It looks like a really good check to these two, but it isn't if it needs to stay burn free which is most of the time.

Checks and Counters:

- Primal Kyogre can have its own C&C area imo as its offensive sets 2HKO way too easily and its boosting and defensive sets carry Scald to burn the bell. Its basically forced out against all Kyogre if it wants to perform checking duties in the game at all.

- in your your write up, flesh out what moves some of its checks and counter are annoyed by (Ho-Oh and Groudon: Toxic, Mega Sableye: Skill Swap, etc).

This is very good for a first analysis. Do all of the above and you have my QC 2/3.
QC_stamp.gif

Thugly Duckling

I play TCG now
I have been trying to come up with an offensive team utilizing this mon in order to free up Groudon, and I've come up with a pretty neat EV spread of 252 HP / 72 Atk / 168 Def / 16 SpD with an Impish nature and Iron Plate for the mentioned (rather possible second or main set?) Offensive Trick Room set that allows it to check Salamence or Xerneas depending on the situation.

What the EVs specifically do:
  • Never 2HKOed by Adamant Mega Salamence's +1 Return after SR damage in order to set up SR and Trick Room -- +1 252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Return vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Bronzong: 134-158 (39.6 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
  • Always survives +2 Focus Blast from Geomancy Xerneas after two SR switchins -- +2 252+ SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 16 SpD Bronzong: 251-296 (74.2 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • Always OHKOes standard Geomancy Xerneas with Gyro ball after SR damage -- 72 Atk Iron Plate Bronzong Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 184 HP / 28 Def Xerneas: 386-456 (87.9 - 103.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • Takes neutral Latios's Draco Meteor well enough to still be able to check Salamence --
    252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 16 SpD Bronzong: 138-162 (40.8 - 47.9%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Not having lefties is bogus but I feel OHKOing Xerneas while also maintaining enough defensive presence to set up TR and SR on certain set up sweepers is very important for the offensive teams that Bronzong is worth using on.

Gj very nice first analysis

QC 3/3

I edited some grammar stuff as promised, the GP team will help more with that. Congrats on getting your first analysis into GP stage!

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 1/2
add remove comment

to make implementing this easier and more accurate, please hit "Reply" on my post and edit from there (remove the reds, address the greens, de-format the blues). if there's anything you don't agree with or have questions about, don't hesitate to quote it here and let me know!
[OVERVIEW]

Bronzong's Psychic / Steel Steel / Psychic typing and Levitate ability grant it nine resistances and two immunities, including a resistance to Stealth Rock and an immunity to Spikes. Moreover, its good 67 / 116 /116 bulk defensive stats (67 / 116 / 116) and access to Stealth Rock, as well as an immunity to Spikes and a resistance to Stealth Rock, makes it a good support Pokemon in this tier Ubers. It is a great Stealth Rock setter, as it is able to set it up against many common Defog users, such as Water Arceus and Latias. With key resistances to In fact, notable resistances in ORAS UBERS are Flying, Fairy, Dragon, (AC) and Rock and immunities adding to that a great immunity to Ground moves (thanks to its ability Levitate) and to Toxic, Bronzong is. This makes it a great check to Xerneas and a counter to Ground Arceus-Ground, Mega Diancie, Latios, Latias, Latias/Latios, Sand Rush Excadrill, Rayquaza, Shaymin (Shaymin-S, or just Shaymin?), Lugia, (AC) and Water Arceus. Its ability to set up Stealth Rock against many common Defog users like Water Arceus and Latias make it a great Stealth Rock user. Finally, it is only slightly Taunt bait for a wall, as Gyro Ball allows it to 2HKO most Taunt users such as Mewtwo and Darkrai.

However, Bronzong struggles in a couple of situations and versus a couple of Pokemon. Its typing leaves it vulnerable Steel type doesn't resist Dark or Ghost attacks anymore with the introduction of Gen 6, which makes it weak (we're discouraged from talking about generation shifts, sorry :\) to common Dark- and Ghost-type moves and threats. It's also setup bait for some Pokemon, such as like Refresh Mega Salamence. Moreover, it lacks reliable recovery, (AC) which obliges the player who uses it to switch it in way less than it they would like to. Finally, it's passive because of its weak offenses and invites many annoying Pokemon, especially Steel-types like Ferrothorn, to switch in on it.

[SET]
item: Leftovers (fix the order to be: item ability nature evs)
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Bronzong is a great Stealth Rock user, being able to since it can set it up versus numerous Pokemon in this the tier, including against very common Defog users like such as Latias and Water Arceus. Gyro Ball is its most powerful STAB move because of its very low Speed; it is a great way to deal a decent amount of damage to faster Pokemon such as Xerneas. Gyro Ball can also punish Darkrai switch-ins and always OHKOes Mega Diancie. Toxic is used to cripple dangerous switch-ins such as like Ho-Oh and Primal Groudon. Toxic can also hit support Arceus formes such as Ghost Arceus and Water Arceus, as well as Latias that comes in to Defog. Protect is used to scout, for example like against Choice Band Ho-Oh for example. Protect carries added utility in its ability to stall out a poisoned Pokemon and safely recover some HP from Leftovers. Trick Room can also be used to greatly annoy offensive teams with proper team support. Finally, Skill Swap is an option if setting up Stealth Rock against Mega Sableye is a must for its Bronzong's team.

Set Details
========

Maximum EVs in HP and Special Defense with a Sassy nature are used to let Bronzong check Xerneas and other special attackers such as well like Mega Diancie, Latias, Latios, (AC) and Shaymin. Leftovers is used for passive recovery. 0 IVs in Speed with a negative nature is a must to ensure optimum power of for Gyro Ball. Running 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD with a Brave nature, (RC) is another option; it ensures that Bronzong always survives any one hit from Xerneas and can OHKO it Xerneas with Gyro Ball while it never dies from one hit.

Usage Tips
========

Using Bronzong is quite simple. Switch it in against a Pokemon it checks or counters and set up Stealth Rock / or Trick Room or spam Toxic if you predict a counter like such as Ho-Oh to switch in. If you are facing Xerneas, don't forget that it lacks recovery so you need it healthy which means you should limit the number of times Bronzong switches in. (which one lacks recovery? Bronzong? then: "don't forget that Bronzong lacks recovery and must be kept healthy, which means you should limit...") While it Bronzong always lives survives two +2 Moonblasts and almost always lives survives two +2 Thunders, Protect can increase its chance to live survive two +2 Focus Blasts as well as help it safely make it regain health so that it is able to check Xerneas better if it lost a bit of HP before. Be careful about taking a Will-O-Wisp from a support Arceus forme, such as Rock Arceus or Grass Arceus. In games where Bronzong is needed to check Geomancy Xerneas or repeatedly set Stealth Rock against a team with anti-hazard support, it might be advantageous for your opponent to allow their support Arceus to be afflicted inflicted with Toxic in exchange for crippling Bronzong with a burn. If you have cleric support, then taking a Will-O-Wisp isn't as big of a deal. If you are using Trick Room against offense, you can set up vs against Mega Salamence and ExtremeKiller Arceus with Stone Edge. Finally, if you are using Skill Swap, predict the Mega Sableye switch-in and use it on the switch. You can also use Skill Swap in niche situations such as like predicting Ho-Oh switching in and taking Regenerator, taking Aerilate from Refresh Mega Salamence, (AC) and escaping Mega Gengar by taking away its Shadow Tag on the switch.

Team Options
========

Bronzong should be paired with a solid Ho-Oh check such as like Rock Arceus, Water Arceus, or Tyranitar, as well as Pokemon that check Primal Groudon, such as like Latias. Using Bronzong gives your Primal Groudon more freedom in its set options. For example, you can now use now an offensive Primal Groudon set with Swords Dance for example to break stall, as since Bronzong releaseds it from its Stealth Rock duties. If you want to use Trick Room Bronzong, you need to pair it with Pokemon that take advantage of abuse this condition, such as like Swords Dance or Eruption Primal Groudon and Dialga.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
########
=========

An offensive Trick Room set with a spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD, a Brave nature, and a with Normal Gem, Brave nature can OHKO Xerneas (with Gyro Ball? specify) and set up Trick Room reliably. Running Explosion is a must too on this Trickroom set, (AC) as it allows you to switch a get your threat in safely after Bronzong explodes you explode. Earthquake can be used on this set to deal good damage to Primal Groudon, (AC) too. Using Hidden Power Ice is an option to deal some damage on to Mega Salamence and Rayquaza, (AC) but it won't do much coming off of Bronzong's low base 79 Special Attack since 79 base Special is low. A dual screens set is another Dual Screens are an option, (AC) too but faster Pokemon are better at this role other faster pokemons are better at this since Bronzong is slow. Finally, Hypnosis is an option to shut down temporarily some switch-ins, but it has terrible accuracy and sometimes Toxic helps more.

Checks & and Counters
==============

Mega Sableye**: Mega Sableye walls Bronzong Walls it completely and forces it out obliges Bronzong to switch out tons.
**Primal Kyogre**: Primal Kyogre resists Gyro Ball and can always 2HKO back (with what?). Even with Toxic, A very common Primal Kyogre set is also the defensive set with Rest/Sleep talk, a set that Bronzong can't even touch or annoy with Toxic Primal Kyogre's defensive RestTalk set, which is very common.
**Status Absorbers**: Pokemon that resist Steel or are slow and have Rest don't have much trouble with Bronzong. This also includes also some Refresh Arceus formes too.
**Mega Gengar**: Mega Gengar is immune It's Immune to Toxic, and while the standard Perish Trap set always wins against it Bronzong.
**Steel-types**: Klefki and Ferrothorn can come in without any risk to set up entry hazards, spam status moves, and do other things to support their team.
**Dark-types**: Darkrai and Yveltal always force it Bronzong out and Taunt / or deal massive damage to it.
**Ghost-types**: Either set up on it, push it out or kill it like Ghost Arceus and Mega Gengar. (can Ghost Arceus and Mega Gengar do all three of those things? if so, replace the sentence with "Ghost-types such as Ghost Arceus and Mega Gengar can either set up on Bronzong, force it out, or KO it." if Ghost Arceus and Mega Gengar only do the third one, replace the sentence with "Ghost-types can either set up on Bronzong, force it out, or, in the cases of Ghost Arceus and Mega Gengar, simply KO it.")
**Fire-types, mainly Ho-oh and Primal Groudon**
: They In particular, Ho-Oh and Primal Groudon resist Gyro Ball and can OHKO Bronzong with Sacred Fire and Fire Punch, (AC) respectively while resisting Gyro Ball.

Last edited:

Malley

Dominachu
Add
Remove/Change
Comment
(AC) = Add Comma, (RC) = Remove Comma, (AH) = Add Hyphen, etc.

[OVERVIEW]

Bronzong's Steel / Psychic typing and Levitate ability grant it nine resistances and two immunities, including a resistance to Stealth Rock and an immunity to Spikes. Moreover, its good 67 / 116 / (add space)116 bulk and access to Stealth Rock make it a good support Pokemon in Ubers. It is a great Stealth Rock setter, as it is able to set it up against many common Defog users, such as Water Arceus and Latias. With key resistances to Flying, Fairy, Dragon, and Rock and immunities to Ground moves and to Toxic, Bronzong is(remove space) a great check to Xerneas and a counter to Ground Arceus, Mega Diancie, Latios, Latias, Sand Rush Excadrill, Rayquaza, Shaymin-S, Lugia, and Water Arceus. Finally, it is only slightly Taunt bait for a wall, as Gyro Ball allows it to 2HKO most Taunt users such as Mewtwo and Darkrai.

However, Bronzong struggles in a couple of situations and versus a couple of Pokemon. Its typing leaves it vulnerable to common Dark- and Ghost-type moves and threats. It's also setup bait for some Pokemon, such as Refresh Mega Salamence. Moreover, it lacks reliable recovery, which obliges the player who uses it to switch it in way less than they would like to. Finally, it's passive because of its weak offenses and it This is really for readability, as it does not come naturally to read "invites" as parallel to the hidden "is" in "it's"; it would be clearer if you say "it is passive because of its weak offenses and invites..." invites many annoying Pokemon, especially Steel-types like Ferrothorn, to switch in on it.

[SET]

item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Bronzong is a great Stealth Rock user, being able to set it up versus numerous Pokemon in the tier, including against very common Defog users such as Latias and Water Arceus. Gyro Ball is its most powerful STAB move because of its very low Speed; it is a great way to deal a decent amount of damage to faster Pokemon such as Xerneas. Gyro Ball can also punish Darkrai switch-ins and always OHKOes Mega Diancie. Toxic is used to cripple dangerous switch-ins such as Ho-Oh and Primal Groudon. Toxic can also hit support Arceus formes such as Ghost Arceus and Water Arceus, as well as Latias that come in to Defog. Protect is used to scout, for example against Choice Band Ho-Oh. Protect carries added utility in its ability to stall out a poisoned Pokemon and safely recover some HP from Leftovers. Trick Room can also be used to greatly annoy offensive teams with proper team support. Finally, Skill Swap is an option if setting up Stealth Rock against Mega Sableye is a must for Bronzong's team.

Set Details
========

Maximum EVs in HP and Special Defense with a Sassy nature are used to let Bronzong check Xerneas and other special attackers such as Mega Diancie, Latias, Latios, and Shaymin. Leftovers is used for passive recovery. 0 IVs in Speed with a negative nature is a must to ensure optimum power for Gyro Ball. Running 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD with a Brave nature is another option; it ensures that Bronzong always survives any one hit from Xerneas and can OHKO it with Gyro Ball.

Usage Tips
========

Using Bronzong is quite simple. Switch it in against a Pokemon it checks or counters and set up Stealth Rock or Trick Room or spam Toxic if you predict a counter such as Ho-Oh to switch in. If you are facing Xerneas, don't forget that Bronzong lacks recovery so you need it healthy, (AC) which means you should limit the number of times Bronzong switches in. While Bronzong always survives two +2 Moonblasts and almost always survives two +2 Thunders, Protect can increase its chance to survive two +2 Focus Blasts as well as help it safely regain health so that it is able to check Xerneas better. This goes in Moves Be careful about taking a Will-O-Wisp from a support Arceus forme, such as Rock Arceus or Grass Arceus. In games where Bronzong is needed to check Geomancy Xerneas or repeatedly set Stealth Rock against a team with anti-hazard support, it might be advantageous for your opponent to allow their support Arceus to be inflicted with Toxic in exchange for crippling Bronzong with a burn. If you have cleric support, taking a Will-O-Wisp isn't as big of a deal. If you are using Trick Room against offense, you can set up against Mega Salamence and ExtremeKiller Arceus with Stone Edge without Shadow Claw or Shadow Force I assume this is the implication of it having Stone Edge; best be as direct as possible. Finally, if you are using Skill Swap, Bronzong can catch Mega Sableye on the switch and set up Stealth Rock against it predict the Mega Sableye switch-in and use it on the switch Don't dictate individual plays. You can also use Skill Swap in niche situations such as predicting Ho-Oh switching in and taking Regenerator, taking Aerilate from Refresh Mega Salamence, and escaping Mega Gengar by taking away its Shadow Tag on the switch.

Team Options
========

Bronzong should be paired with a solid Ho-Oh check such as Rock Arceus, Water Arceus, or Tyranitar, as well as Pokemon that check Primal Groudon, such as Latias. Using Bronzong gives your Primal Groudon more freedom in its set options. For example, you can now use an offensive Primal Groudon set with Swords Dance to break stall, as Bronzong releases it from its Stealth Rock duties. If you want to use Trick Room Bronzong, you need to pair it with Pokemon that take advantage of this condition, such a Swords Dance or Eruption Primal Groudon and Dialga.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=========

An offensive Trick Room set with a spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD, a Brave nature, and a Normal Gem can OHKO Xerneas with Gyro Ball and set up Trick Room reliably. Running Explosion is a must on this set, as it allows you to switch a threat in safely after Bronzong explodes. Earthquake can be used on this set to deal good damage to Primal Groudon, too. Using Hidden Power Ice is an option to deal some damage to Mega Salamence and Rayquaza, but it won't do much coming off of Bronzong's low base 79 Special Attack. A dual screens set is another option, but faster Pokemon are better at this role. Finally, Hypnosis is an option to shut down temporarily some switch-ins, but it has terrible accuracy and sometimes Toxic helps more.

Checks and Counters
==============

**Mega Sableye**: Mega Sableye walls Bronzong completely and forces it out.
**Primal Kyogre**: Primal Kyogre resists Gyro Ball and can always 2HKO back with it's its strong water STAB moves. Even with Toxic, Bronzong can't touch or annoy Primal Kyogre's defensive RestTalk set. , (AP, RC) which is very common. Too time sensitive
**Status Absorbers**: Pokemon that resist Steel or are slow and have Rest don't have much trouble with Bronzong. This also includes some Refresh Arceus formes.
**Mega Gengar**: Mega Gengar is immune to Toxic, and the standard Perish Trap set always wins against Bronzong.
**Dark-types**: Darkrai and Yveltal force Bronzong out and Taunt or deal massive damage to it.
**Ghost-types**: Ghost-types such as Ghost Arceus and Mega Gengar can either set up on Bronzong, force it out, or KO it.
**Fire-types**: In particular, Ho-Oh and Primal Groudon resist Gyro Ball and can OHKO Bronzong with Sacred Fire and Fire Punch, respectively.

GP 2/2
Nice analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)