Pokémon Breloom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyways, it may end up UU just because it doesn't meet the OU usage requirement. And its not guaranteed sleep anymore, its guaranteed only if the opponent has no grass types. I personally think it could go either way.

Breloom @ Life Orb
Adamant
Technician
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Bullet Seed
Mach Punch
Rock Tomb
Drain Punch

Forget Swords Dance and Spore. This is all Breloom needs. 'Loom is on of my absolute favorite Pokemon, and he's so useful that it blows my mind.

His power is reminiscent of Mega Mawile. This set has so much utility. I usually lead with it, and it just crushes lead Rotom-W. Bullet Seed 2HKOes, sometimes bulky ones survive two hits at about 10%, but even if they survive they're badly crippled. Greninja, Hydreigon, and Absol are all OHKOed. Gliscor just can't stand up to Bullet Seed's incredible power, even Ice Fang won't save it. Nothing can really switch in safely because of Rock Tomb (which is Stone Edge with 95% accuracy and the Speed-lowering effect).

Mega Kangaskhan thinks that it can set up on Mach Punch, and just gets KOed with Drain Punch. Drain Punch is great for keeping Breloom healthy and catching Ferrothorn, too.

Breloom is freaking lethal if you don't know its set. It punishes foes' mistakes so well and has to be played around carefully. It's easily top OU, and should be on every team.
I need some calcs concerning Breloom's bulk so it can benefit from using Drain Punch, which doesn't get the Technician boost. How often does Drain Punch give Breloom an extra turn in battle.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Brelooms is decent, just because Celebi and Venusaur don't get nearly as much love as they should by most players. That said, Breloom is totally dead weight against teams that have them... Not to mention Trevenac 100% shuts it down too. It can do stuff, but honestly I wouldn't be one to use it...

Also, if you think UU would have trouble handling Breloom you're nuts. UU would probably be even more set to deal with this thing-- because Grass/Poison types or just bulky Grass types are far more common in lower tiers. Not only are there more viable options, but Grass/Fire/Water cores generally perform even better in the lower tiers, and grass types are much more main stream.

Amoongus and Tangrowth are perfect counters. Exeggcutor and Victrebell could potentially be lethal in the tier too if Ninetales' Drought is allowed (highly likely), and with that 10 extra base DEF even bulky Roserade can potentially handle Breloom.

Too much is being made of the spore nerf. Yes, Breloom has no business staying in against OU's grass types, but reflexively switching to them upon the mere threat of Spore can and should be punished.

Now you can kvetch about that not being perfectly reliable but from where I sit Breloom is still capable of grabbing momentum with a good driver behind it, it's just not foolproof anymore.

Talonflame without gale wings? Tell me about it
Interesting similarity, but Talonflame really cannot benefit from Flame Body as it would prefer to trump Scarfed Pokemon and priority users. So what is it going to burn with Flame Body anyway? Extreme Speed users?

Breloom can benefit without Spore though. Drain Punch may have some merit over Spore since it can KO Heatran after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Life Orb Breloom Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 335-398 (86.7 - 103.1%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Force Palm guarantees a KO.

skarmory still check breloom pretty bad, it can't take a brave bird, phazed with whirlwind, and doesn't threaten much even with spore.

Interesting similarity, but Talonflame really cannot benefit from Flame Body as it would prefer to trump Scarfed Pokemon and priority users. So what is it going to burn with Flame Body anyway? Extreme Speed users?

Breloom can benefit without Spore though. Drain Punch may have some merit over Spore since it can KO Heatran after Stealth Rock

Force Palm guarantees a KO.
I feel that tf can only run a banded or bulk up set
But while it cannot switch into spore or tomb, it always forces breloom out so team support is needed against tf when using loomy.

Ok, so you know how Breloom's got trouble with Gliscor? Well:
Breloom @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore
- Hidden Power [Ice]
4 SpA Life Orb Technician Breloom Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 286-338 (80.7 - 95.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 252 HP / 184+ Def Gliscor: 42-49 (11.8 - 13.8%) -- possible 8HKO
That amounts too 92.5 - 109.2%, which has ~62.5% to KO Gliscor with this combo. This is a huge feat, I know that Hidden Power [Ice] seems gimmicky, but it is technically an Ice Beam after Technician, making it perfectly viable imho. This set has tons of merit imo, I'm planning on making a team around it very soon! Or, Hidden Power [Fire]:
4 SpA Life Orb Technician Breloom Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Forretress: 343-406 (96.8 - 114.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
Finish off Forretress with Mach Punch
4 SpA Life Orb Technician Breloom Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 203-239 (57.6 - 67.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Killed off with Mach Punch after being hit on the switch.
4 SpA Life Orb Technician Breloom Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 151-179 (45.2 - 53.5%) -- 1.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
So yeah, Breloom still cannot get through Skarmory very well, but with prior damage it can hope for a 2HKO, with SR:
4 SpA Life Orb Technician Breloom Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 151-179 (45.2 - 53.5%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
See, that's better.

Hm. HP ice is definitely viable with it having a technician boost, but HP Fire is nowhere near as viable. As Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Forretress can be 2HKO w/ Technician Force Palm.

If Hidden Power Breloom was viable at all I imagine it would have been used in gen V, which it wasn't to my knowledge. Interesting idea though.

been having some really good success with the classic sub punch set. my only question/concern is atm i am using stone edge as my 2nd attack, but I am not sure if thats a good choice. Maybe rock slide for mote acc, or seed bomb for 2nd stab or thunderpunch b/c thats an option. So anyone have any thought on the 2nd move, which one is best in todays ou meta and why?

But this gen you get maximum IVs and still get it 60 power, which is all the better. Plus Gliscor is way more common this gen, thnx to Knock off.

TheDoctor1 : I recommend you try Rock Tomb. it helps with speed.
I didn't mention rock tomb b/c i am using toxic heal, but if I run the calcs and it kills what i need it to kill that might be a good choice. so i will look into it.

Gliscor isn't much of a check to technician breloom anyway. Why would you give up something like rock tomb to beat gliscor when you can beat it most of the time? That set just gives easy switch ins for charizard, talonflame, and volcarona which is not good

Gliscor isn't much of a check to technician breloom anyway. Why would you give up something like rock tomb to beat gliscor when you can beat it most of the time? That set just gives easy switch ins for charizard, talonflame, and volcarona which is not good
There are teammates for that, besides, none of those enjoy switching into Spore.

That's why sometimes giving up on spore isn't as bad, yes Gliscor is killed be Rock Tomb & Bullet Seed, but it CAN stall you with toxic, protect, and your LO recoil, so HP ice is quite viable.

There are teammates for that, besides, none of those enjoy switching into Spore.
You might as well put them on the same set.

The same can be said for gliscor. You know what they really don't like switching into? A rock tomb. And smogon doesn't have a rock tomb clause.

Last edited:
4 SpA Life Orb Technician Breloom Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 286-338 (80.7 - 95.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 252 HP / 184+ Def Gliscor: 42-49 (11.8 - 13.8%) -- possible 8HKO
That amounts too 92.5 - 109.2%, which has ~62.5% to KO Gliscor with this combo. This is a huge feat, I know that Hidden Power [Ice] seems gimmicky, but it is technically an Ice Beam after Technician, making it perfectly viable imho.
What about poison heal? Not to mention Protect allowing for at least 2 Poison Heals on the switch in (assuming the toxic orb is alrdy active/gliscor didnt switch into a spore) That being said Gliscor can't do too much to Breloom other than Toxic stall it so it's not really a great counter to Breloom sets regardless, you also outspeed Gliscor unless it's heavily invested into speed (which most of them aren't) so HP Ice + Mach Punch seems rather silly.

If you were talking about offensive Gliscor sets I'm afraid they died with Flying Gem and even then they weren't really run much at the end of gen 5 anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)