Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Trick
- Defog

:mad: https://pokepast.es/dc88750794a1ab28 :mad:

Explanations:
Lydia: meant to be used early game to sleep important targets and potentially bait in some steel types. sash helps guarantee the sleep on a potential sweeper. T spikes will help wear down the opposing team for Dragapult shadowball or hex.

Gus Fring: meant to be a brainless shadow ball spammer, hex goes well with Roserade's dual status. I use U-turn over a coverage move to complement Dragapults speed, forcing switches and to keep initiative.

Hank Schrader: Main breaker which naturally checks Weavile, and Kartana. Blows past Corvi/Blissey cores. Stone edge to hit Pelipper and Zapdos on the switch, and Earthquake to hit Toxapex and to have a good neutral, spammable move.

Mr. White: SpeD Lando to switch into Heatran, Volcarona, and Zapdos. 16 Speed to out speed modest Magnezone and Adamant Tyranitar. 76 Attack to guarantee a 2HTKO on the recommended defensive Zapdos set.

Jesse Pinkman: Solid Breaker to help blow past Toxapex, Ferrothorn, Clefable cores. Defensive utility is helpful for Melmetal, and Rillaboom. 136 Speed to out speed timid Magnezone, Aegislash, and other mons specifically EV'd to out speed Magnezone, such as Lando

Skylar: Our Speed control and defoger. Switches into Weavile, Urshifu, Heatran, Blaziken, Hawlucha, Garchomp, and Buzzwole. Cripples walls with Trick for more utility against stall. Appreciates Buzzwole and Rotom H's breaking ability to get rid of any steel and grass types.

Weaknesses:
Struggles against: Heatran, Tapu Lele, Tapu Fini, Rotom W, Rillaboom, and Specs Dragapult, Blacephalon

I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Last edited:
This is going to get taken down without three lines of description. Try explaining reason for choosing each mon, EV/IV spreads, and move choice.

ScalchopFren

is my name really that hard to read?
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
The amount of restraint it's taken me to not just merge Roserade and Fini into a Tspikes Toxapex is honestly insane.

Regardless, this is a pretty cool team! Roserade is...not great, and honestly you still would be better off using Pex as a Tspiker instead. But, I think this kind of structure is the closest you can be to making it work. However, for the team to be optimized (which, by posting it in the RMT forums, it's implied that you want it to be), some changes are gonna have to be made. I realize it will mess with your team's theme, but they're very necessary sacrifices. You've even acknowledged its weaknesses yourself at the bottom of the post. If you don't actually want it to be made better and are just posting it to show it off, that's fine; but for future reference, the goal of RMT is to post teams for improvement and suggestions. If all you want is to show people your team, the OU Bazaar might be more your speed.

Mon changes

:rotom-heat: => :heatran:
This is probably the most important change. I think Heattom is at least usable in this tier, albeit outclassed, but this is not the place for it. The team's biggest weakness is its lack of a Steel, which means there is literally nothing stopping scarf Lele from clicking Psychic over and over (Specs obviously has even fewer switchins, but you at least have a couple mons that outspeed it). Since you listed Heattom's quality of breaking Pex/Clef/Ferro, I decided to give you the Steel that beats all three: SpDef Heatran. Yes, SpDef Tran even beats Pex.

0 SpA Toxapex Scald vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Heatran: 74-90 (19.1 - 23.3%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 112 SpD Toxapex: 112-132 (36.8 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

This + Magma Storm trapping damage + Taunt means Pex is pretty handily defeated, provided you land your Magma Storms. Tran preserves your Fire coverage while also significantly amping up your team's defenses. It also gives you another option for a rocker, which will come into play for the rest of the changes.

:tapu fini: => :slowbro: OR :toxapex: (depends on the rest of the team)
Me: I refrained from telling you to fuse Rose/Fini into Pex to preserve your team as much as possible.
Also me: you should still use Pex though.

So, Scarf Fini is a great mon. I'm not gonna deny that ever. But I don't think it's the right Water for this team. Aside from you not needing the Scarf quite as much with the Pult here, it's also kinda negative synergy with Pult since your own terrain weakens Draco Meteor. So, I offer you two alternatives. I'm going to post two versions of the team at the end with each of these mons.

ColburPress Slowbro is a very, VERY good bulky Water. If you have no alternative Weavile counterplay, it compresses that into the usual bulky Water attributes beautifully while giving offensive momentum with FuturePort, and it still has amazing recovery in Slack Off. If you want to help things break even better, this is your guy. Plus you now have a literal pink man (I'm sorry).

Alternatively, SpDef Toxapex. I'm not making this one Tspikes so there's at least SOME reason to use Rose, but your team's MU against Ghosts (which, again, you also mentioned) is quite dire. While it's not actually a resist, Pex can at least cushion you against Ghosts with the proper investment. It also still has the usual bulky Water traits of checking Shifu and Weav, which is never a bad thing.

(IF YOU CHOOSE THE SLOWBRO TEAM)
:buzzwole: => :weavile:
As I said above, your current Ghost MU sucks, and obviously Slowbro does nothing to change that. Weavile is certainly not the most defensive of mons, but it can take a couple Shadow Balls from Pult and non-Specs Blacephalon. It's also just, like...extremely good. It's all over the tier now for good reason(s).

Set changes

:roserade:
If Roserade is to be used on this team (which I still cannot recommend, but we're gonna roll with it anyway), I would suggest not making it this exact set. This generation only ever has dedicated leads on hyper offense/HO -- which this most certainly is not -- so Focus Sash doesn't really help you with much. I would change the item to Heavy-Duty-Boots to let you play around Rose's generally underwhelming bulk by avoiding hazards, and run Giga Drain over Leaf Storm to help with longevity. I've also elected to put Stun Spore over Sleep Powder, as it lets you continue to status a variety of mons but with a permanent status rather than sleep. You could also experiment with Poison Point to potentially punish U-turns if your heart desires, but I've kept Natural Cure as the ability for now.

:dragapult:
Run Timid nature instead of Modest. The latter doesn't really have relevant rolls, and being able to outspeed Koko is a huge boon.

:landorus-therian:
Now that we've removed Fini, the team needs something with Defog. Since I moved rocks to Tran, Lando will be the one to have it.

(IF YOU CHOOSE THE TOXAPEX TEAM)
:buzzwole:
Banded Buzz is cool and all, and it certainly can check Kart. But, I wouldn't call it a Weav check in the slightest. Unboosted Triple Axel has a chance to 2HKO it after rocks, and without any recovery you can only really send it in once. It's not an offensive check either, since Weav pretty handily outspeeds you. With that in mind, a more standard Buzz set is in order. Running HP investment and Rocky Helmet to punish multihit moves and U-turn is great, and Roost over Stone Edge significantly helps your longevity and can help you be an ACTUAL Weav check. It also helps your Kart MU even more, which is a very good thing.

Pastes (click on the mons for imports)

Slowbro version: :roserade::dragapult::weavile::landorus-therian::heatran::slowbro:
Toxapex version (NOTE: this one is better and you should use it) :roserade::dragapult::buzzwole::landorus-therian::heatran::toxapex:

So there you have it! Again, I really cannot stress enough that Roserade is not the ideal Tspiker. If I were to optimize this even further, Rose would become a Tspikes Pex and the last slot would be a diff mon. But, this is what I've cooked up while attempting to preserve that idea. Good luck with testing :)

Last edited:
From the actual guide on how to rate teams within the Smogon Rate My Team forum.

“The solutions you recommend needn't be new Pokemon. Indeed, it is often best to try and deviate as little as possible from the original team as possible. Remember, you're here to rate the team, not rebuild it. Changing an EV spread or tweaking a moveset are the best changes if they would help the team.”

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/how-to-rate-required-reading.59702/

Just thought everyone should remember that posting a team here does NOT imply they want their mons swapped out for more meta choices, but rather they want to make the mons they’ve chosen as competitive as possible.

ScalchopFren

is my name really that hard to read?
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
From the actual guide on how to rate teams within the Smogon Rate My Team forum.

“The solutions you recommend needn't be new Pokemon. Indeed, it is often best to try and deviate as little as possible from the original team as possible. Remember, you're here to rate the team, not rebuild it. Changing an EV spread or tweaking a moveset are the best changes if they would help the team.”

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/how-to-rate-required-reading.59702/

Just thought everyone should remember that posting a team here does NOT imply they want their mons swapped out for more meta choices, but rather they want to make the mons they’ve chosen as competitive as possible.
From another page on forum guidelines within the RMT forum (directly above the one you posted, actually):

"Avoid drastically changing the original team. We strongly recommend changing no more than 3 members of the original team so long as those changes have sufficient explanations."

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/rmt-rules-and-forum-guidelines.3647102/post-8039581

idk about you but it seems to me that I'm within this limit.

We apply the same rule in the Smogon Discord RMT channels. If it takes swapping out more than 3 mons to make the team actually good, we direct them to samples (though that doesn't usually apply unless the majority of their team is unviable mons); if it takes 3 or less, we make those mon changes and fix any sets that need it. The latter is what I did here, and it's something I've done before without ever being told off for it.

Obviously we wanna keep as much of the original team intact as possible. If you couldn't tell by the 50 million times I said I wanted to replace Roserade with Pex, I wanted to replace Roserade with Pex. And yet I kept the bad mon to maintain some of the team's integrity. We wanna keep as much of the original team intact as possible, but we also make suggestions through the lens of viability. If the team gets literally farmed by some of the best breakers in the tier it's stupid and bad practice to leave that alone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)