SV OU BRAMBLEGHAST + HOOPA-U TAILWIND

:tornadus::iron-treads::brambleghast::hoopa-unbound::enamorus-therian::whimsicott:

INTRODUCTION

Tailwind is a unique move, providing a mon and their team a temporary +2 to their speed for 4 turns. However, this team is mainly used in doubles, as there is more turns and more opportunities to take advantage of it. In singles, it is barley used due to how inconsistent it is, and it being overshadowed by Sticky Web. Tailwind does have a few things going for it compared to Sticky Web, with them being that it doubles your own speed instantly rather than lowering an opposing mons speed by one, and the fact that :heavy-duty-boots: or Contrary :serperior: does not care for it. +2 can make a huge difference as well, as certain mons such as :hoopa-unbound: and :brambleghast: can outspeed mons such as :deoxys-speed:, :booster-energy::iron-valiant:, and :choice-scarf: mons such as :enamorus:. Wind Rider is an ability that boosts attack by +1 under Tailwind, making a mon such as :life-orb::brambleghast: a serious offensive threat. Although Tailwind is not the best, this team takes advantage of the double in speed and abilities that make Tailwind worth fearing.

THE TEAM

tread.png

Iron Treads @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Ice Spinner
- Rapid Spin

:booster-energy::iron-treads: is the dedicated lead for this team, aimed to get up Stealth Rock as soon as possible and to spin opposing hazards away. Even though this set is running Earth Power, it is more attack invested so :gliscor: can take maximum damage from Ice Spinner. Earth Power is ran over Earthquake mainly for :glimmora:, so an attack does not trigger Toxic Spikes, in which this team struggles with. A Hasty Nature is chose in order to tank a critical hit from offensive :gholdengo: Shadow Ball from full. Tera Ghost is chose to deny Rapid Spin attempts from :great-tusk:.

Tornadus @ Eject Button
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 16 HP / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Rash Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Tailwind
- Bleakwind Storm
- Grass Knot

:tornadus: provides amazing Tailwind support for the team by setting up with swift priorty. Taunt is to shut down hazards and recovery, while forcing the opponent to hit you so you can switch out with :eject-button:. Max Special Attack investment with a Modest Nature is used to deal as much damage as possible before using its :eject-button:. Grass Knot is used to hit :ting-lu:, :garganacl:, and :great-tusk: without risking a Bleakwind Storm miss. The Speed EVs allow :tornadus: to speed creep :kyurem:. out of Tailwind. Tera Ghost is to block hazard spinning and to block moves such as :dragonite: Extreme Speed.

weed.png

Brambleghast @ Life Orb
Ability: Wind Rider
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Disable
- Poltergeist
- Power Whip
- Shadow Sneak

:brambleghast: is one of the team's main Tailwind abusers, getting a nice attack boost from Wind Rider. An Adamant Nature is chose as under Tailwind it can outspeed the likes of :deoxys-speed: and :booster-energy::iron-valiant: without a Jolly Nature, while it can threaten :booster-energy::iron-boulder: with Shadow Sneak. Poltergeist and Power Whip are the most powerful moves of :brambleghast: providing near to no safe switch ins to it. Disable is used to deny :kingambit: and :raging-bolt: priority moves in Sucker Punch and Thunderclap respectively. Tera Ghost is chose to power up Poltergeist and Shadow Sneak.

Whimsicott @ Eject Button
Tera Type: Ghost / Fighting
EVs: 248 HP / 32 SpD / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Tailwind
- Moonblast
- Endeavor / Tera Blast

Whimsicott @ Eject Button
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 216 HP / 64 SpA / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Tailwind
- Moonblast
- Tera Blast

:whimsicott: provides additional Tailwind support for the team, also with Prankster to set up near unstoppable status moves. Unlike :tornadus:, :whimsicott: comes with one of the best moves in Encore, locking mons into moves forever such as Quiver Dance with :Volcarona: and Iron Defense from :garganacl:. Moonblast is a great STAB move that hits Dark types in which Prankster does not work on. Endeavor is a filler move to use against mons such as :heatran:, :clefable:, and :primarina: to weaken them for a mon such as :hoopa-unbound:. If running Endeavor, Tera Ghost should be used for the same reason as :tornadus:, in which you avoid Extreme Speed from :dragonite:. If you are comfortable with losing out on this benefit, giving it all to :tornadus:; then Tera Blast Fight should be used with 64 SpA EVs to OHKO :kingambit: if it tries to set up on you. If :kingambit: somehow reads this and terastilizes itself into any type other than Dark, Encore can be used on it.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 112 Atk / 144 SpA / 228 Spe
Naive Nature
- Psychic
- Hyperspace Fury
- Drain Punch
- Thunderbolt

:hoopa-unbound: is an extremely powerful wallbreaker and the team's second Tailwind abuser. With 228 Speed EVs and a Naive Nature, :hoopa-unbound: outspeeds up to :booster-energy::roaring-moon: in Tailwind, while weakening its more acceptable Special Defense stat so :hoopa-unbound: is not as easily picked off by physical priority moves. Psychic is an amazing STAB move for :hoopa-unbound:, hitting mons such as :garganacl:, :clefable:, and :great-tusk:. Hyperspace Fury is used over Knock Off so it can attack through Protect from :gliscor: and :alomomola: and to help synergize better with :brambleghast: and Poltergeist. Drain Punch is used to negate Life Orb chip while hitting mons such as :kingambit:, :ting-lu:, and :blissey:. Thunderbolt is used to clean up weakened :skarmory:, :corviknight:, :alomomola:, :dondozo:, and :primarina:. Tera Dark is chose to power up its Hyperspace Fury while resisting Sucker Punch from :kingambit:. The Attack and Special Attack EVs are customizable, however it should not matter in the long-run from my testing.

Enamorus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Overcoat
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Tailwind
- Moonblast
- Mystical Fire
- Earth Power

:enamorus-therian: provides Tailwind for the team while also being an offensive threat, hitting mons that resist Moonblast such as :corviknight:, :skarmory:, :heatran:, and :skeledirge:. Life Orb allows it to deal as much damage as possible, and a Modest Nature is chose to further this idea. Unfortunately, :enamorus-therian: is extremely slow even under Tailwind, with a Modest Nature outspeeding the likes of :weavile: and :darkrai:. Tera Ground is chose to boost the power of Earth Power while also avoiding damage from a :raging-bolt: Thunderclap.

THREATS

Against the :iron-treads: lead, :volcarona: is free to set up a Quiver Dance and threaten to sweep the team. The best course of action is to switch into :whimsicott: and Encore it before it attacks. After some chip, :hoopa-unbound: or :brambleghast: can switch in to KO it with Hyperspace Fury or Poltergeist + Shadow Sneak, respectively.

moon.png

:roaring-moon: is a major threat to this team, with :booster-energy: sets being able to switch in on Poltergeist from :brambleghast:, blocking Encore and Taunt from :whimsicott: and :tornadus:, and threatening to outspeed the entire team in Tailwind with :booster-energy: speed and a Dragon Dance boost. Pray you can bait a tera from :enamorus-therian: and chip it down so Tera Ghost +1 Shadow Sneak from :brambleghast: can hopefully pick up a KO.

kingambit.png

:kingambit: especially in the late game can easily clean up this team. Tera Blast Fight :whimsicott: is an option to help deal with :kingambit: but wastes a Tera. Try not to have :tornadus: or :whimsicott: in on :kingambit: as it can easily set up on them. :hoopa-unbound: Drain Punch can catch some Kingambit off guard with Tera Dark resisting Sucker Punch, however it is not always guarenteed.

As every single Tailwind user is weak to Ice with no Ice resist on the team, :kyurem: can freely spam Ice Beam to guarentee KOs. Stealth Rock from :iron-treads: is stressed upon, with the team able to chip it down for a mon such as :brambleghast:, :hoopa-unbound:, and :enamorus-therian: to kill it in Tailwind.

CONCLUSION
Tailwind is a unique move which can be used in Singles for fun and good results. Although it is not as good as Sticky Web, Tailwind has a niche to allow mons such as :brambleghast: and :hoopa-unbound: to smash through unprepared teams, something which Sticky Web cannot do as well. With the right mons and good plays, Tailwind can put in work in OU.

Thank you for reading and feel free to leave any comments or changes!

POKEPASTE
https://pokepast.es/64b69bc10d09c52a

Last edited:

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
Hey, I applaud the effort for trying to make it work, but with all due respect, this is just not gonna cut it because it burns out too early. I still gonna try my hardest to fix it since it's an interesting challenge for me, + I have actually used tailwind in sv as a meme

Big Changes:

:Brambleghast: -------> :shiftry:

While I'm certainly not a fan of changing the featured shitmon on a team, I was trying to look a way into making the team more offensive, after all, you are literally using meme HO, but this thing does not have anything to boost up decently. So I'm gonna change one shitmon from another. Shifty has not one but 2 boosting moves in swords dance and nasty plot, so you can go one way or another

Shiftry @ Lum Berry
Ability: Wind Rider
Tera Type: Ground
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Low Kick

I decided to go full physical moves with him, aside from the obvious stabs, I have low kick for kingambit and kyurem, while lum is usefull for the volcarona matchup, and it fucks over any potential flame body cheese, and to top it all off, tera ground helps you vs raging bolt

:enamorus-therian: ----------> :kingambit:

Kingambit @ Fairy Feather
Ability: Supreme Overlord
Tera Type: Fairy
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Kowtow Cleave
- Tera Blast

I was debating whether changing enam to a better setter OR a better attacker, but I decided for the latter due to the fact that you only have 2 offensive mons (I'm not counting iron treads as threatening in the slightest) so I decided to prioritize the latter. I fucking hate jolly kingambit because the whole point of this thing is haha wallbreaking damage boom boom kaboom, BUT, jolly +2 hits 436, just barely out speeding positive dragapult and zamazenta, and you sent both packing by tera fairy tera blast, which is why im going with fairy feather, for the max damage tera blast, but I guess life orb or expert belt could be functionally okay

Minor changes:

I would personally make hoopa-unbound fully special, to maximize the potential damage you're getting out of him, you could maybe have some use for knock off in case focus miss fails too hard but then the ting lu matchup becomes unwinnable

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast / Knock Off

On :Whimsicott: consider having memento, this kills you faster, giving you a way to block defog and free set up for one of your shitmons.
And on and :tornadus: consider making him level 5, so that they can die as fast as possible, thus giving you more momentum

And that's pretty much it, despite all, I had a lot of fun rating this, if you are curious, here is my attempt at tailwind I did 1 time (it sucked ass) https://pokepast.es/95bb5de5917a149c
why the fucking torn evs are like that I have no idea, the LC guys know I don't care

Really dope team, I'm a huge Hoopa-U believer. Disable Bramble is also very cool. The mixed treads is a smart way of getting around glimmora too

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)