Bouffalant

It may not bethe fastest pokemon, but it can still take a few hits and retaliate with STAB Reckless Afro Break... but it also seems to be a great candidate for a baton pass recipient set.

This guy has a lot of potential, I really don't see how the hell people could compare him to Tauros. He can switch into anything most Grass-types have to hit you with, even netting an attack boost. I'll probably run a spread of 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe Adamant, just to outspeed 8 Spe Scizor and make sure I can outspeed most Machamp. Something like:

Baffuron @ Leftovers
Ability: Herbivore
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
EV: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Afro Break
- Wild Bolt
- Earthquake

Normal / Electric / Ground hits everything neutral except Giratina, Rotom, and Shedinja. 372/226/226 defenses are impressive, and 350 attack is mighty as well. After a Swords Dance and a Herbivore boost:

Afro Break vs.
252/152+ Hippowdon: 78.8% - 92.9%
252/252+ Suicune: 77.5% - 91.3%
252/252+ Swampert: 94.5% - 111.5%
252/220+ Celebi: 87.1% - 102.7%
252/0 Gliscor: 111% - 130.8%
248/252+ Gyarados (after Intimidate): 81.7% - 96.2%

Wild Bolt vs.
252/240+ Skarmory: 82% - 97%

Earthquake vs.
252/160 Empoleon: 133.9% - 157.5%
252/144+ Forretress: 45.8% - 53.7%
240/160+ Jirachi: 103.2% - 121.7%
248/0 Scizor: 77.6% - 91%

Basically, nothing survives two hits, however most Pokemon will be able to hit you at least once before you hit them. I'm not sure Wild Bolt is even necessary, but it helps against Skarmory and he doesn't have any other notable moves (besides Megahorn, but Grass-types lose anyway). Defensively he's not a wall but he can take some hits that normal sweepers simply cannot, like 55.1% - 65.3% from Scarf Garchomp's Outrage.
Keep in mind if you forgo Herbivore for Reckless, then Wild Bolt and Afro Break become insanely powerful, turning those 2HKOs into OHKOs in many cases.

I'd be more interested in having damage statistics done on how Baffuron can take hits. How much does a Scizor Choice Band Superpower take off this set? Empoleon's Hydro Pump? etc.. his defensive merits will determine his overall usage, because on any Swords Dance set, he's going to have to take a hit with his Speed.

Keep in mind if you forgo Herbivore for Reckless, then Wild Bolt and Afro Break become insanely powerful, turning those 2HKOs into OHKOs in many cases.

I'd be more interested in having damage statistics done on how Baffuron can take hits. How much does a Scizor Choice Band Superpower take off this set? Empoleon's Hydro Pump? etc.. his defensive merits will determine his overall usage, because on any Swords Dance set, he's going to have to take a hit with his Speed.
No, because those calcs assume a Herbivore boost (1.5) compared to Reckless' 1.3x boost.

I think Revenge deserves some mention as a viable move. It's going to be getting a power boost more often than not since Baffuron's pretty slow.

I´m using a Herbivore Bull right now as a lategame Sweeper. It´s basically an SD set, but with a more defensive attempt:

Baffuron@Leftovers
Herbivore
Adamant/Brave
148HP 176Atk 92Def 92SpDef
- Return/Frustration
- Earthquake
- Payback
- Swords Dance

Honestly, I didn´t calc anything for these EVs, but they work wonders for me. 330 Atk ensure that even unboosted hits do nice damage when I send this one in midgame to lure in the counters. The rest is just a somewhat balanced distribution on all defenses. He obviously doesn´t like Fighting moves, but he can take almost everything else and retaliate accordingly, a fact that makes it very hard to revenge(I survived some Shanderas as well).

Moves:
- Return/Frustration is his best STAB without Recoil and somewhat ensures he can´t be revenged easily by Ditto, because most do not run any happiness points on it(that´s one thing PO actually does better than Shoddy) and unSTABbed EQ is a tad to weak/scarfed Payback sucks.
- Earthquake is mostly for Steels. Revenge is an option, but lets Ghosts come in even easier and is not as reliable(BP-wise). Skarm doesn´t get hit, but can be set up on.
- Payback is for any Ghosts that come in. Fighting moves on some ghosts are annoying, but that´s expected.
- Swords Dance is the needed boosting move. Come in on some kind of Grass move, SD on the switch and you have +3 in one turn.

Good partners for him are Rotom-W(for luring Grass moves and paralyzing/burning stuff) and Tag Shandera(trapping and killing fighting types). Something to absorb burns is also nice, because Baffuron hates burn.

I think most people on PO are underestimating this thing' s bulk, because they just throw random things at him and he shrugs them off easily. He would really love being able to sleeptalk btw(just because he is sooo bulky), but that´s live.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Wow, this thing really tears shit up.

My opponent had 3 pokes left. I switched into his venusaur, which used venom shock. Afro took 15% I swords danced while he leech seeded. +3 attack afro break destroyed venusaur. Next was darkrai. He voided buff. Next turn, focus blast missed and he woke up, obliterating rai with megahorn. Last poke was hitmonlee. He blaze kicked for 22% (!!) and I afro broke FTW.

Don't judge. It wasn't my best play but holy shit it was fun. He's much bulkier than I had originally thought, too.

I created my own specially defensive set:

Leftovers
Adamant
84 hp/252 atk/164 spdef/8 spe
SD, afro, megahorn, EQ

What do you think? The EVs, I mean.

OW MY GOD HOW DID I NOT POST IN THE MOST GODLY THREAD IN EXISTENCE YET.
Well Specially deffensive afro bull has a great niche of being a very good Shaymin-S counter with its immunity to Seed Flare and leech seed coupled with great bulk.A specially invested set can easily shake off a Air slash taking about 25% or so and then 2hk0 it with afro break.If it can come in on Seed flare which isnt exactly too hard it can ohk0 with the attack boost.

Except that Skymin outspeeds it, so Air Slash has a 60% chance to flinch it (with serene grace), and Baffuron needs to clean hits to kill it. Have fun dealing with hax.

That is one badass bull, straight up. AFROBULL FOR THE WIN.

Too bad his Dream World ability sucks. Soundproof? Really, Game Freak? Herbivore should be nice, since I'm pretty sure it DOES grant the Grass immunity...

I don't see what all the fuss about Afro Break is, since it's just Double Edge with a different name... And it's certainly not spammable, even with Reckless. And since a Choiced Normal attack is asking for trouble, you'll want LO...

Not a bull -_- never will be...

That is one badass bull, straight up. AFROBULL FOR THE WIN.

Too bad his Dream World ability sucks. Soundproof? Really, Game Freak? Herbivore should be nice, since I'm pretty sure it DOES grant the Grass immunity...

I don't see what all the fuss about Afro Break is, since it's just Double Edge with a different name... And it's certainly not spammable, even with Reckless. And since a Choiced Normal attack is asking for trouble, you'll want LO...
IT'S NOT A FUCKING BULL IT'S A BUFFALO -___-

Obvious things aside,its been proven that Afro break has slightly less recoil then double edge. And i remember seeing something about reckless not increasing recoil.

IT'S NOT A FUCKING BULL IT'S A BUFFALO -___-

Obvious things aside,its been proven that Afro break has slightly less recoil then double edge. And i remember seeing something about reckless not increasing recoil.
Yeah, IIRC it was Double Edge having 1/3rd recoil and Afro Break having 1/4th recoil.

I think for Reckless it was a 1.2x boost or something that increases the power of recoil moves and because it empowered recoil moves, the recoil increased merely as a result of doing higher damage.

Except that Skymin outspeeds it, so Air Slash has a 60% chance to flinch it (with serene grace), and Baffuron needs to clean hits to kill it. Have fun dealing with hax.
Pretty much EVERY Skymin "counter" has that "but Air Slash hax!" clause attached, unless they go Scarf and outspeed it, but then Scarf Skymin is still annoying the crap out of them if anyone feels like using it. Being able to switch in and ONLY have to deal with flinch hax instead of switching in and having to deal with Seed Flare ensuring the next hit KOs AND then having to get past flinch hax even if the Seed Flare doesn't wreck them is certainly faring better than a whole lot of things do.

No, because those calcs assume a Herbivore boost (1.5) compared to Reckless' 1.3x boost.
But with herbivore at +3 your attack is 2.5 * attack.

With reckless, you are at +2 and reckless boost, which is 2 * 1.3 * attack, and it turns into 2.6 * atack.

Not to mention you won't always activate herbivore. But the immunity is nice and 10% difference in attack isn't such a big deal.

Actually, according to the research thread, reckless boost is 1.2x, which would mean it with swords dance just falls short of a +3 boost.

I think the buffalo is awesome scarfed.
Baffuron@Choice Scarf
Edit:Oops, has Herbivore
252Atk/252Spe/4HP Jolly
Afro Break/Return
Pursuit
Earthquake
Wild Bolt

I think the buffalo is awesome scarfed.
Baffuron@Choice Scarf
Edit:Oops, has Herbivore
252Atk/252Spe/4HP Jolly
Retaliation
Pursuit
Earthquake
Wild Bolt
Awesomeness(255BP, 100% chance to make 6 opponent Pokemon faint)
lolwut?

I cant see nothig.

Retaliation suck, only useful in multibattles. Afro Break and Trash are the really weapons that kills almost anything.
From the part of Awesomeness, where is is the 255BP?

Also, Gengar + Focus Sash can wall this...

BTW, according to bulbapedia, it's specie is 'Headbutt Bull Pokémon'.
So I'd say Afrobull is a fine nickname.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Headbutt bull and not a buffalo? Man, pokemon and their misleading names. Like how Zangoose is the cat ferret pokemon and not a mongoose...

In the dream world tier, this guy is Jalorda's boss. But otherwise, I have trouble throwing him in to take grass attacks. It's nice when you see a subseeder though.

How does Retaliation suck? It becomes 140 power with STAB when a teammate fainted on the same turn or the turn before, which is perfect for a revenge killer. Gengar can get hit SE with Pursuit. And I really hope you didn't think I gave my buffalo Awesomeness for its fifth move, or that it can have a 5th move, or that Awesomeness even exists as a Pokemon move.
Nothing.

Retaliation sucks in normal battles. It only shines in double or triple battles.

Retalitation increases it BP at double WHEN A TEAMMATE FAINTS IN THE SAME TURN.

Also, Gengar with Focus Blast and Focus Sash = 2HKO to the buffalo, Buffalon can't break Focus Sashes, and don't have priority.

Anyway, I know that Awesomeness isn't true, but this is a serious threath.

Afro Break has less recoil. Double edge causes you to take 1/3 recoil, where Afro Break causes you to take 1/4 recoil.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)