ORAS UU BOOM Successful UU team

Introduction

I have played many games with this team and I love it. I enjoy playing pokemon showdown once in a while and try to make an good team for every major tier so I can play in the tournaments. This team always does extremely well in those tournaments. Something crazy like winning 3 out of the 5 uu tours I played in the last couple of months. Last week I won another tour with it so I wanted to share the team. I hope you like the team. English is not my native language so I hope the grammar mistakes are not to bad.

This is an older team that I have changed a lot in time. It was made when Hippowdon was removed from uu. My hippowdon uu team had an Choice banded Azelf in it and I liked him a lot so that was the pokemon I started my team with.

The Team

BOOM (Azelf) @ Choice Band
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt
- Explosion
- Trick

Banded azelf is a great wall breaker. U-turn is the most important move on this set, in early to midgame it is best to use U-turn most of the times. U-turn does OHKO some big counterleads like espeon mega absol and opposing Azelf so it is great to lead with Azelf and bluff an lead set. Often u see opponents switch in Cresellia or Umbreon to take the psychic hits an normal azelf would have U-turn does 50% to those two. Zen Headbutt is a stab move to deal good damage against walls or to clean up in late game. Choice banded explosion is really interesting. If there is ever an thread that the team can not deal with anymore you explode on it and it dies, explosion is also great for walbreaking it is always an OHKO on Max defense blissey and any wall that is less bulky or damaged an bit. Trick is an great move to cripple walls that can take an banded explosion like Max defense suicune cresselia or empoleon.

Snorlax @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Self-Destruct
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Facade

Azelf brings an fast U-turn and with an fast U-turn you want to have pokemon that can switch in to attack launched at azelf. Assault vest Snorlax can switch in to a lot of special attacks while still doing a lot of damage. This Snorlax runs Earthquake as its coverage move for hitting rock steel and ghost pokemons. Body slam is used if snorlax is still healthy and can take several hits from the opponent, body slam has an great 30% chance to paralyze. Self-Destruct is used when snorlax can only take one hit from the opponent. After an lot of testing I added Facade, I wanted snorlax to be able to switch in to scald without the fear of the burn.

Twee Zwaarden (Doublade) @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Shadow Sneak
- Gyro Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Swords Dance

Doublade is the physical wall I choose to take, it can take almost al physical hits while still doing great damage back with Gyro ball or sacred sword. In the late game it is an excellent sweeper with swords dance and shadow sneak. Shadow Sneak is also great to revenge kill something that does not have much health left.

Flying Fluffy (Hydreigon) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Superpower
- Roost

With an ghost and an psychic type in my team I really wanted to add an dark type pokemon. After some testing I settled with Hydreigon. Life orb Hydreigon is an excellent special wall breaker that is able to switch in to some attacks. Draco Meteor and Dark pulse are great stab moves and hit really hard. Superpower hits some special walls like blissey and umbreon, it also helps to KO dark types that threaten doublade and azelf. With the last move I had some trouble. Fire blast, Iron tail, Roost and Taunt all worked butt none of them where used that often. After an lot of testing I settled with roost but any of the other moves will work just fine.

Vlammetje (Infernape) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Close Combat
- Overheat
- Endeavor
- Stealth Rock

Infernape is the Stealth rock setter I still needed. It often is the lead of the team because stealth rocks are important for al other pokemon to get KOs, for example an U-turn from Azelf OHKO's hydreigon after stealthrock damage. If the opponents team has any type of entry hazards it is best to use infernape before the entry hazards are set up. This Infernape does not have taunt because I think double stab and endeavor are all great moves, cutting one of the three severely hurts infernapes ability to damage or KO opponents.

Bazooka (Blastoise) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Ice Beam

For the last slot I tried a lot of different pokemon but mega blastoise preformed the best in my testing. With stealthrocks mega blastoise can deal with most of the uu meta in an 1v1. Mega blastoise is bulky enough to take an hit from most offensive pokemon and KO them back and is fast enough to outspeed bulky pokemon and 2 or 3hit KO them. Scald is an great water reliable water move, it has 100% accuracy and the 30% burn chance is really nice. Dark pulse is an really strong dark move that gets buffed with mega launcher and has an 20% flinch chance, aura sphere is an strong fighting move that gets buffed with mega launcher. Ice beam is an great coverage move that hits dragon and grass types super effectively. I have tried to run rapid spin but the coverage that these 4 moves have together is so strong that I think that it is better to not run rapid spin.

Weaknesses

This team has some weaknesses. The most noticeable are bulky waterpokemons because this team does not have electric or grass type moves. There are some ways to deal with bulky water types like an dark pulse plus draco meteor from hydreigon, explosion or trick from azelf body slam plus selfdestruct or facade from snorlax endeavor from infernape or just 2 or 3 strong moves from different pokemon. All the pokemon in this team have powerful attacks.
Teams with loats of healing also are problematic. You have to outspeed 2HKO al pokemon with an heal move so this means you have to have the right pokemon in against your opponent and have to take some more risk predicting switches.
An smaller weakness is an good mega beedril team. If mega beedril can get of u-turn after u-turn it is problematic so stealthrocks are necessary and it is an good idée to keep doublade healthy if you're opponent has mega beedrill.

Tips for using the team

This team has an explosion and an selfdestruct do not use those moves if other options also will KO and don't use self destruct if you would have enough health left at the and at the turn to survive an other attack.
Try to put damage on to your opponents pokemon in the early and mid game with U-turn from Azelf and stealth rocks. All pokemons have strong Attacks so you can easily KO damaged pokemon.
Make an game plan at team preview, determine with threats your opponent has and which of your pokemon can sweep when certain pokemon of your opponent are death and prioritize killing those pokemon.

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Hei :] Pretty sure your team can be improved but that means that the basic idea of the explosion BOOM spam has to change :(

Snorlax is an embarassing win condition but if you want to win against bulky waters, well, you absolutely need Curse Lax in your team. This also provides you an important win condition that you were missing.

Since your team doesn't really need the support of a volturn core and you need something in order to wallbreak, I'm suggesting you to use Plot Azelf running a grass move (Energy Ball) for bulky water team and Psyshock for Blissey and special sponges.

Azelf @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Energy Ball
- Psyshock
- Nasty Plot

Why is this turtle not running Rapid Spin? ?_? It absolutely needs Rapid Spin > Dark Pulse

Hope I helped you :]

Hei :] Pretty sure your team can be improved but that means that the basic idea of the explosion BOOM spam has to change :(

Snorlax is an embarassing win condition but if you want to win against bulky waters, well, you absolutely need Curse Lax in your team. This also provides you an important win condition that you were missing.

Since your team doesn't really need the support of a volturn core and you need something in order to wallbreak, I'm suggesting you to use Plot Azelf running a grass move (Energy Ball) for bulky water team and Psyshock for Blissey and special sponges.

Azelf @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Energy Ball
- Psyshock
- Nasty Plot

Why is this turtle not running Rapid Spin? ?_? It absolutely needs Rapid Spin > Dark Pulse

Hope I helped you :]
First of I want to say that an Curse Lax and an Plot Azelf will probably work, and that I really appreciate the suggestions. But this is not the way to play this team. With the Curse lax and the Plot Azelf you are trying to make an team that has one or two lategame sweepers, wallbreakers that deal with the pokemon that the late game sweepers have trouble with and supportive walls. This is an really common way to make an team but it is not the only one. This team does not have trouble wallbreaking because all 6 pokemon are wallbreakers, they all have 252 evs in atk or spa. The way this team wins is by having an answer to all opponent pokemon. If the answer to an opponents pokemon fainted you can use explosion, trick, self-destruct and endeavor to deal with it.
Azelf is necessary in this strategy. With an fast u-turn you can get the right pokemon in at the right time and that is really valuable. The U-turn (with stealthrocks) will putt enough damage on opponent pokemon that an strong STAB move like life orb draco meteor or an super effective attack probably will kill it.
Assault-vest Snorlax can switch in to attacks so you can save important pokemon while still dealing great damage. Snorlax can take special attacks really well and with facade you can switch in to scald.
I agree with you on the part that Blastoise can do with Rapid spin over dark pulse or aura sphere. It will hurt his ability to wallbreak but maybe I did overvalued that.

HI thetom43, cool team you have here. I like how leading with anything except for Azelf makes your opponent automatically assume that the Azelf is a Nasty Plot variant and then further surprise them by revealing a banded one.
I got a few quick replays just now with the team to feel it out and find out what it's weak to.

replay 1: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-325753482
here, you can see that your team is very weak to well played fighting types. Luckily for me in this battle, the Mienshao was CB and not Scarfed. It can be played around, as the Doublade was in the back and stopped my opponent from using High Jump Kick. I lead Blastoise because between Zap and Blastoise I saw two potential ways for my opponent to remove hazards so I waited to get up rocks since they were very useful for Blastoise and Azelf which had a great matchup due to lack of good switch ins for both. Turn 2 I feared the endeavor so i switched into doublade but got caught by a zapdos that didn't make all to much sense to me. However, the lack of a ground type on your team meant that zapdos Volt Switched for free, meaning that i had to play from behind for a couple turns. Mienshao came in on Lax but i deduced from the Doublade that he was very unlikely to click HJK so i stayed in and was rewarded by a lucky para on Whimiscott, which made blastoise even better in the matchup. I did a quick calc to confirm that it was indeed CB shao so instantly a lot of pressure was relieved on Azelf in cleaning up. The rest of the battle played out pretty evenly, but Gligar couldn't touch last mon Azelf without clicking something other than Roost, so I won the 1v1, in a lot less time due to some high rolls and my opponents giving up.

replay 2: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-325758812
in this replay i instantly saw the lack on hazard control so i led nape and got rocks asap. The Doublade was very obvious so my opponent made a good play and brought in nidoqueen. The lack of normal resist was very good for lax which cam in for relatively low cost against Nidoqueen. Again, the combo of blastoise + lax was quite threatening to him, but the weakness to sceptile was very apparent and i needed to play doublade very well. I won by making a smart double to blastoise late game which won me the game, but i could've always sacked Azelf but i kept it because you get attached to the mon that the team is built around ig.

replay 3: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-325762368
this I lead nape again despite the tentacruel in the back. unfortunately my opponent went right for eq with mamo and denied my infernape a kill. that was a bad play because he decided not to get rocks up. With no solid Doublade answer, I got lucky and had him not U-turn with Bee and got to put it in range of rocks withc shadow sneak or vice versa so he didn't really have a choice on clicking U-turn or Drill Run. Finally the combination of Azelf and Hydreigon cleaned up the game.

tldr - you are really weak to fighting types despite Doublade, Meinshao can't really be dealt with but only the choice scarf variant should give you trouble. Also not having an immunity to electric makes you kind of volt turn weak. Also as an offense team, you have problems with Sceptile but not all to much with doublade + AV lax. Also, this is simply a matter of opinion, but I believe that lead infernape isn't assisting the wallbreakers you chose.
So i made a couple of changes to address this, along with improving your matchup against a couple annoying bulky waters, mainly Suicune.

BOOM (Azelf) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt
- Explosion
- Trick

Snorlax @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 188 Def / 64 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Self-Destruct
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Facade

Twee Zwaarden (Doublade) @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 224 Atk / 44 SpD
Adamant Nature

- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword
- Swords Dance

Flying Fluffy (Hydreigon) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt
- Roost
Vlammetje (Infernape) @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Vacuum Wave
- Fire Blast
- Grass Knot
- Nasty Plot

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch

So as you can see, I thought Nasty Plot Infernape benefits greatly from the wallbreakers you have as a sweeper. I also changed Mega Blastoise to Mega Pert, so i can still have rocks, and also pack a ground type to stop volt switch and have a knock off switchin. Unlike the post above, there are no stealth rock weaknesses on your team so I don't really think hazard control is all too necessary. NP nape also increases your water matchup due to grass knot, along with Taunt on hydreigon to stop empoleon from clicking Rocks/defog or suicune recovering, gyarados setting up, etc. All i did to Doublade and Lax was make them just a little more specially defensive to switch into sceptile and florges better. I have yet to get any decent replays with this version of the team, because all i've ran into are things like scarf outrage normal swampert and scarfed Porygon-Z. I'll ask a couple competent players for testing in the near future!

hope i helped!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)