National Dex Birb Mono (Meant for nat dex)

Hello! Welcome one and all to my wonderful magnificent bird mono team. Now you may be thinking, "A bird mono team? That's just a disaster waiting to happen." But fare not my fellow friend. For I have done it. I've created a bird mono team that is sufficient enough to land me 1400+ in Pokemon Showdown (This is really high for me!). But there is one fatal flaw, I can't seem to get higher than 1400, and sometimes get dragged down to 1200. So I've come to smogon for some help and advice on how to better this team. Let us begin.

The Team
Firstly when i was creating this team, I immediately thought I needed a Pokemon that can set up stealth rocks. And who other would it be than Gliscor. Now you may be wondering why I chose Gliscor over Landorus-Therian, well Gliscor has way more survivability and utility. Gliscor can easily heal up with toxic orb + poison heal, allowing it to be pivoted into when necessary (such-as when you predict the opponent will try to status another Pokemon on your team). This Pokemon is also immune to electric type attacks.
:Gliscor:

Next we have one of my favorite Pokemon on this team, Mantine. Mantine is an amazing sp.def wall. It has a boasting 140 sp.def with 85 hp (Think a skarmory, but with more hp, and used to wall out sp.def Pokemon instead of physical). This Pokemon in general is an amazing Pokemon. It has the water absorb ability, letting it pivot into water-type attacks, and then heal off of it. It can also wall out many special Pokemon. This Pokemon is also good for scouting and resisting Ice-type moves, to help out gliscor.
:Gliscor: :Mantine:

Now that we have a sp.atk wall, it only makes sense to have a physical wall. Introducing Mandibuzz. Mandibuzz is a commonly known Pokemon for walling out physical Pokemon. This Pokemon has 105 defence, and 110 hp. This Pokemon can also return lots of damage when challenged by a physical Pokemon by using Foul Play, it's star move (That it also gets stab). This Pokemon is also immune to psychic type attacks
:Gliscor: :Mantine: :Mandibuzz:

Next up to the line, we have the one, the only, Corviknight! This Pokemon is amazing with what it can do. I chose to use this Pokemon as a set-up beefy mon. This Pokemon is mainly a good shut-down to any offensive Landorus-Therian. This Pokemon also has really good typing allowing it to be immune to poison types, and pretty much resist a majority of typing's.
:Gliscor: :Mantine: :Mandibuzz: :Corviknight:

After this, I started to look for more dps, and Pokemon that can hit hard blows to the enemy team. That's how I thought of Hawlucha. Hawlucha has a unique typing of Flying-Fighting, which isn't very common. This Pokemon has an amazing ability unburden, and can dish out serious amounts of damage after a swords dance. This Pokemon is made to be a glass cannon, and possibly rebound kills / setup whenever possible, and dish as much damage as can.
:Gliscor: :Mantine: :Mandibuzz: :Corviknight: :Hawlucha:

Now for the final Pokemon of this team. What kind of team would this be, without Zapdos. Zapdos all around is a nice mix between physical tank & sp.atk'er. This Pokemon is a good counter again unsuspecting Landorus-Therian/Gliscor's, as well as Ferrothorn/Scizor. This Pokemon can tank physical attacks pretty well, and deal massive damage, while also getting the passive ability of maybe paralyzing the target with it's ability Static.
:Gliscor: :Mantine: :Mandibuzz: :Corviknight: :Hawlucha: :Zapdos:

Team Presets
Now time for the presets.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 220 HP / 96 Atk / 108 SpD / 84 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Knock Off​

First off we have Gliscor. I chose a more tanky variant of Gliscor, to be able to get Stealth Rocks on the field, and survive. I also decided to add some speed and attack to let it be able to get as Knock Off down, and maybe even a Earthquake. This Pokemon also has a really nice passive move, Protect. Which guarantees it's toxic orb to activate, if it protects. It's good to use protect heal each turn when low hp. And it's good to pivot into when another Pokemon uses an electric move, and or tries to status another Pokemon on your team.

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 88 SpA / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Scald
- Mirror Coat
- Protect​

Now we have Mantine. Mantine, as said earlier, is a great sp.def wall, while being immune to Water type attacks, and good to scout for Ice type attacks (to insure that Gliscor isn't OHKO'd). This Pokemon has great longevity, and can always burn an opponent with scald. I gave this Pokemon protect, to scout for electric type attacks, and to passively heal from leftovers. This Pokemon also has a hidden card up it's sleeve? wait, Wing? Fin? Idk, well this Pokemon has a deadly attack for any sp.atker attempting to challenge this Pokemon. The move is called Mirror Coat, which will always deal at least double damage, when they hit you with a sp.atk move. Now this move doesn't scale with the percentage taken. This means, if they deal about 40% of your hp, you are most likely to OHKO it with Mirror Coat, because you most likely have greater sp.def / hp than it.

Mandibuzz (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 SpD
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog
- Toxic​

Next up is Mandibuzz. Mandibuzz is an amazing physical tank and stall Pokemon. This Pokemon is a great wall to physical type Pokemons, and also threatens the opposing Pokemon to switch out if it cant OHKO you because of a move called Foul Play. Foul Play will always use the target's attack stat in calculations, which means, up against a target with a huge attack stat, this move will deal huge amounts of damage. Not to mention it also gets stab. On the other side of things, this Pokemon can stall pretty well, being able to wear down and set a timer on opposing Pokemon with Toxic. One more cool thing about this Pokemon is it's ability Overcoat, making it immune to powder type moves. This includes the passive damage from hail or sandstorm.

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Mirror Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Body Press
- Iron Head​

Corviknight. This Pokemon with it's multitudes of sets can confuse the opponent in which one you may be. For this mon, I chose a set-up variety, being able to use Bulk Up, then dish out a boosted Body Press or Iron Head. This is an amazing Fairy counter since it resist fairy type attacks, and can dish out a super-effective Iron Head (Which also has the 30% chance to flinch the opponent). With this Pokemon being a nice balance of offense and defense, it's a nice even Pokemon, and can be used in many ways.

Hawlucha @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Stone Edge​

After Corviknight, Hawlucha is up. This Pokemon is amazing for offense, with it's item, focus sash, when there are no hazards, you are guaranteed a Swords Dance. Also, if focus sash activates, you also gets 2x Speed, which will be likely because this Pokemon has a below average defense and sp.def. Once focus sash activates, you also gets 2x base damage on acrobatics + stab. This Pokemon is nice for a revenge kill, or just flat out sweeping the team. This Pokemon also has High Jump Kick, which can be risky, but I added it for even more damage.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Heat Wave
- Discharge​

Finally we have Zapdos. Zapdos is a nice lead if you're going against a Landorus-Therian or a Gliscor, because this Pokemon has HP-Ice. This Pokemon also has Heat Wave, which is also nice to get rid of Ferrothorns and Scizors. And the main move being Discharge, which is massive damage and 30% chance to paralyze. This Pokemon also has amazing sp.atk and good defences with it's 252 hp and 4def. I Chose this Pokemon since it's all-round pretty good, and it's neutral to the electric type moves, which is always nice when you're whole team is flying type.

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Introduction
Hi spooky13, I am so glad you are interested in National Dex Monotype. This seems to be a more bulky team so I will try to hold true to that in my edits, however, the team could've made more viable. Anyway, lets get into my changes!

Major Changes
:moltres-galar:>:mandibuzz:
Moltres-Galar @ Leftovers
Ability: Berserk
EVs: 244 HP / 152 SpA / 24 SpD / 88 Spe
Calm Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fiery Wrath
- Substitute
- Taunt

Galarian Moltres provides the same immunities as Mandibuzz and is fat as well, but excels as a wallbreaker. This set allows you to so easily set up in front of Pokemon such as Toxic Toxapex, while not being phased out by pokemon such as Whirlwind Hippowdon. This set can also easily take down any Pokemon that isn't resistant to Dark and or doesn't have super effective coverage, if you setup Galarian Moltres at a good time. If you feel like the team doesnt have enough Speed you can always make Galarian Moltres Agility > Taunt.

:celesteela:>:corviknight:
Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
- Protect

This just gives you a real Steel-type STAB move while also generally being better on Flying teams, given it has Leech Seed support and can break Ferrothorn/Mega Scizor with Flamethrower. If Tapu Lele is troublesome you can always invest more in Special Defense on Celesteela.

:charizard-mega-y:>:hawlucha:
Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Solar Beam
- Roost

Focus Sash Hawlucha is a gimmick and isn't very good outside of HO teams, you were also missing a mega, hence Zard Y. This set is fairly self explanatory and it is an excellent breaker in National Dex Monotype. You can run Defog over Focus Blast, since Pokemon like Gliscor handle Heatran for the team anyway. This change is somewhat necessary if you drop Zapdos.

Minor Changes
:gliscor:
I fixed Gliscor's moveset to fit Taunt allowing it to prevent Pokemon such as Mandibuzz from using Defog, while adjusting its EVs to better take on threats like Choice Band Victini.

:mantine:
Gave Mantine Heavy-Duty Boots and Haze, allowing it to check threats such as Azumarill, while doing its job as a Defog better.

:zapdos:
Gave this Pokemon Heavy-Duty Boots and Defog. Hurricane is also amazing on Zapdos, however since Mega Charizard Y is on the team I will say, time when you use Hurricane because the sun hurts it. If you do not want to use agility Galarian Moltres, but still feel like you want more Speed, you can use Choice Scarf Thundurus-T, however then you have less Defog users for Pokemon such as Mega Charizard Y.

Conclusion
{Click the sprites below for an importable}
:moltres-galar::celesteela::charizard-mega-y::mantine::gliscor::zapdos:
Let me know if you have any questions about the team on here or discord (maroon#1999). Good luck with the team and hope you enjoy National Dex Monotype!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)