ORAS PU Big Eater Peaked #1

fish anemometer

I ❤️HOLE
is a Tiering Contributoris the defending PU Circuit Champion

Introduction:

Hello all, I'm KJ Corp and this is my 2nd rmt here on Smogon. I started playing PU more before the winter ssnl tour to get a hang on the tier, to my surprise the tier was pretty fun and enjoyable so even after I was eliminated I stuck around in the PU room and ladder. This is probably my most consistent team and the one I trust the most. On the ladder (haha ladder) it peaked #1 and is currently sitting at 89gxe so it works good there. I also believe it's the first time anybody got 1700+ on the PU ladder but I think I'm wrong about that. The team had a Roselia at first but I got 6-0ed by a Scraggy twice... Anyway, with PU now shifting into the Crustle meta I decided to finally post this team, and with all that out of the way, here is

The team:

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

I started building with Pawniard because this team was originally a spike-stacking team, so i chose Pawn to pressure defoggers. Even though the current team doesn't have spikes, pressuring defoggers is still really nice. Pawniard is also on the team to revenge some sweepers, unfortunately you have to do that with sucker punch which can cause some 50/50s. Sucker punch is also this teams only form of priority. Pawn is a fantastic late game cleaner, as teams tend to only have a Monferno or Stunfisk to switch in, people also switch into knock off with Machoke, and with some prior damage you can kill it with +2 iron head. I'm using adamant right now because of the power but I have tried jolly and it does work too.

As suggested by Anty, CB Floatzel is a really good alternative to Pawniard. The spread for it is in Anty's rate.

Gourgeist-Super @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Foul Play
- Synthesis
- Will-O-Wisp

I slapped on a Gourgeist because its one of the best physical walls in the tier. Obviously this is my Machoke switch-in and overall physical attacker switch-in from Leafeon to Stoutland (look out for facade and toxic). You can spinblock things like Armaldo and Avalugg too. All the moves are mandatory except for leech seed, you can switch that up with seed bomb, skill swap or rock slide, but I haven't tested those moves out yet. Colbur makes it easier to deal with all the knock off in this tier, since at the end of almost every battle Gourg doesn't have an item.

Machoke @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Def
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

or

Machoke @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off
- Substitute
- Bulk Up

I originally had a Roselia in this spot of the team, but Scraggy was a menace and I needed something for it. These two sets both work well. Rest-talk has good longevity and can be used more recklessly, I chose guts on it simply to pressure Gourgeist and make it waste synthesis. The ev spread is probably not optimal, I just put on some defense for Golem among others.
The 2nd Machoke set; sub-bulk up is a lot of fun. It lures in Gourgeist and sets up on it. Fantastic! The ev spread outspeeds Gourgeist-xl comfortably, I'm not sure what else it's meant to outspeed though. Thanks go to Yosp for suggesting a Scraggy killer in this place.

Munchlax @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Body Slam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Curse

The cutest member of the team, the big eater. I chose Munchlax mostly because Audino is boring and ugly, and this is cute. Other advantages of Munchlax are hard-walling ice types like Rotom and Articuno, checking fire types like Ninetails and just about any other special attacker. Body slam is surprisingly strong even un-boosted and the para chance is just beautiful. I've undeservingly won a heap of games because of body slam and its amazing para-hax. With this ev spread, Munchlax chews hits well on both sides.

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
Bold/Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Toxic/Stone Edge
- Discharge

Stunfisk is the Dodrio, Pawniard, Monferno and electric type switch in. Stunfisk gives the team sr and a volt switch immunity. Alongside Munchlax's body slam, static forms a super annoying high para chance which is always nice for me. Toxic cripples things other than Roselia that want to switch in, stone edge is only for Cryogonal, but hitting it is very satisfying. Discharge is yet another annoying move with a high paralyze chance. With Stunfisk, this team now utilizes the infamous Audino+Stunfisk+Gourgeist core with Munch over Audino, that can be incredibly hard to break for some teams.

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 224 HP / 56 Def / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Toxic

Fast toxic Cryogonal was addad as the last pokemon. It can check stuff like Misdreavus, Politoad and scarf special attackers like Rotom and Floatzel pretty well. It has superb synergy with Stunfisk, Roselia spikes on it and this comes in and spins without fear. 228 spe is meant to outspeed the Simimonkeys, this gives Cryo the ability to revenge kill some Pokemon slower than 101 base spe, banded Dodrio for example. The evs in def help live a sucker punch from Pawniard and some pursuits from Dusknoir, Bouffalant or Metang.

Threatlist:
can be a pain if you play around it incorrectly and it has nasty plot, which is unfortunately getting more popular. Munchlax from full can check it, but be careful.

Stunfisk can be worn down by the Monferno player's team pretty fast, Leafeon passing a swords dance to this can hurt a lot. Otherwise dealing with this is easier than it looks.

The standard band set is easy to deal with if you're not just mindlessly throwing out status. The lure set with toxic is dangerous as this team doesn't have a heal beller.

Status: Besides the 2 rest users, the team is weak to status. With rocks up this can really pressure my team.

Ugh.

All these mons can be played around, nothing really 6-0es this that i've faced yet.

Conclusion:
So that's my team. I hope this was an enjoyable read. :toast: shoutouts go to Yosp, Dundies, RawMelon and the rest of the pu room, you're all cool.

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Gourgeist-Super @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Foul Play
- Synthesis
- Will-O-Wisp

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 224 HP / 56 Def / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Toxic

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Discharge

Machoke @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Def
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Munchlax @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Body Slam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Curse

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-353919713 vs cryalot and a decent Articuno team.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-344516559 vs Anty in ssnl, this is the old version with Roselia.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-353890090 vs GA.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-353080043 vs starbuster, I'm showing off this loss because it really shows how important playing well around leafeon is.

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi KJ Corp, nice team

The biggest weakness with these types of teams is their inability to reliable revenge kill, though your team can defensively check the majority of the tier, relying on one or sometimes two Pokemon to check a threat can be problematic. To help ease this, I recomend you use Physical Floatzel over Pawniard, as Floatzel can reliably check the main offensive threats to your team by outspeeding and KO'ing most of them. It can also use Switcheroo to lure and cripple Gourgeist for Munchlax.

Next, I recomend you try Vullaby over Cryogonal, as Dusknoir can really annoy your team, by offensive scaring everything and Pursuit'ing and spinblocking Cryogonal. Additionally, this gives you extra help vs big threats like Monferno and Ninjask so removes stress on Stunfisk, and having a more reliable Psychic switch in is nice for the team. It also has the main role of Cryogonal, being able to remove entry hazards with Defog.

I also think Restalk is a nicer set for Machoke on this team for its survivability, but if with the last change I think you should try Specially Defensive Machoke over your current set. It helps you check Pokemon such as Rotom-f and Regice, while still having a very good offensive presence due to its natural power. A spread of 252 HP / 72 Atk / 184 SpD with a Careful nature provides enough Sdef to avoid 2HKO from Regice's Ice Beam, Floatzel's Hydro Pump, and 3HKO from Rotom-f's Thunderbolt all after rocks (also has a good chance to avoid the 3HKO from blizzard). The remaining EV's are put in Attack for more power.

Floatzel @ Choice Band
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Aqua Jet
- Switcheroo

Vullaby @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Machoke @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Atk / 184 SpD
Careful Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
You can use Guts CC on this set but the lack of defense drops really helps

Hope I helped!

fish anemometer

I ❤️HOLE
is a Tiering Contributoris the defending PU Circuit Champion
Hey Anty, I've considered and tested your suggestions and tested 2 of them.

Band Floatzel is great, I considered dropping Pawn for it before but never actually came to do it until now. To keep it short, Ill just say that band float works wonders. Pretty sure it's definitely better than Pawniard on the current team.

As for Vullaby, I feel Fisk+Float deals with Monferno pretty well, having a reliable psychic switch is nice but Cryogonal and Munch check them pretty well in practice. When I see My opp has a Dusknoir I just click Toxic or double because the switch is really obvious, tbh I'm more afraid of a banded Stoutland's pursuit.

And finally, I don't really need the spdef on Machoke because between Munch and Cryo checking the special attackers you mentioned isn't the hardest thing to do. I'll still probably try out this spread in the future.

Anyway thanks for the good rate!:toast:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)