Best New Moves of Each Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok, this is a "take two" of a article idea I had.

This article would cover each generation, looking at moves which were introduced during each and seeing which ones stand out more than others.

How Gen 2 gave us Phazing moves and the big set ups moves like Curse and Calm Mind.

Things like talking about how Gen 4 introduced more higher BP moves like Close Combat and Draco Meteor.

Or Gen 5's mega boosting moves like Quiver Dance and Shell Smash.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh okay. I closed the previous thread since you've made a new one. As long as you address Jelli's post, it should be in the right direction here:

Slight problem I see is that the most definitive moves of a generation are often older moves. The only "definitive" new moves in BW, for instance, would be Scald and Volt Switch. The others (Shell Smash, Dragon Tail, Quiver Dance) are pretty rare or niche, while moves like Stealth Rock and Substitute have a greater impact overall. The line also gets blurry with moves that have changed over generations, such as Roar/Whirlwind gaining effects in GSC and Spikes going from 1 to 3 layers in ADV.

I think a better direction would either be A) the most definitive moves of each generation, regardless of if they're new, or B) the best new moves of a generation, regardless of how definitive they are. If that makes sense...
I have also recently thought of this article idea as well ._. However, you don't have to limit yourself to just the newly introduced moves for those generations either. You could expand it to like what Jellicent said :) which approach would you prefer? Also, Calm Mind is an ADV move. >_> Moves like U-turn / Stealth Rock / Roost should definitely be mentioned in DPP as well, though you're list isn't extensive haha.

It looks like he's going with option B, which I can definitely dig. Keep in mind that Roar / Whirlwind were actually RBY moves, they just didn't do anything in trainer battles then. Instead, Sleep Talk or Spikes deserves the nod. For RBY itself, it depends on if you're focusing just on the generation it was introduced. If you do, Hyper Beam is stellar; if not, something like Substitute or Toxic works better. In either case, keep in mind the essentials like Thunder Wave and Explosion. What sandz said about DPP is definitely true, though those high power moves (especially Stone Edge !_!) should be included.

Anyway, I like this concept, lgi ^.^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)