Best games of 2009

If I had to pick a theme to describe 2009, it would be "The Power of Two," as quite a large handful of game titles were sequels ending with the numeral "2." Uncharted 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Assassin's Creed 2, and Modern Warfare 2, to name a few.

Among those just listed, the only one I've gotten to play extensively is Left 4 Dead 2, and I've got to say that I enjoy it a lot. Although the new toys (new special infected for the infected side and a slew of new weapons for the survivors) are fun to play with, the main attraction is the new game modes. Realism mode makes regular campaign seem like taking a nap, and scavenge mode alone is worth the price of admission. One of my biggest gripes about Left 4 Dead was that it was that the versus format made matches extend to around 90 minutes in length on average, this wasn't remedied until the release of the Crash Course DLC earlier this year. Stopwatch has always been one of my favorite game modes and it seems to be one of the fairest scoring systems, so scavenge is great in that respect.

I recently picked up Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story to keep myself entertained on a 8-hour bush ride when returning to school by bus at the end of the Thanksgiving weekend. I enjoyed the first two Mario and Luigi games, and I've got to say that this title outperforms both of them. I like the way that it incorporates the beloved 2-D platformer-style gameplay that Mario is known for. It also makes impressive use of the DS hardware. I love the way that it uses the familiar button-based layout while also taking advantage of intuitive touch-based controls while keeping them compartmentalized enough that they don't bleed into each other. This could quite conceivably be the best DS title to date.

When I first discovered video games, role-playing games were my favorite. However, during my early video-gaming days, I possessed one precious commodity which I unfortunately no longer have in abundance: time. The typical RPG usually includes arduous dungeon crawls spent hunting for a save point, lengthy and repetitive grinding sprees, and other timesinks that make it difficult to fit gaming time into a busy schedule. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor is an RPG that is able to eliminate these boring and time-consuming aspects by masquerading as a strategy game. It takes the grid-based combat system of SRPGs like Final Fantasy Tactics and combines it with the turn-based combat system of traditional RPGs like Dragon Warrior and Mother, with the monster collection aspect of Pokemon and Monster Rancher thrown in for good measure.

The Playstation 2 continues to be the platform that outright refuses to die. 2009 brings us Melty Blood Actress Again. In the words of one of my 2D-fighter-fanatic friends, "I think it [Melty Blood Actress Again] is going to be my main fighting game soon, due to Guilty Gear dying, BlazBlue being super mediocre, and Street Fighter IV is like taking a nap." It caters very specifically to those who enjoy 2D fighters, unlike Street Fighter IV and BlazBlue which seem tailored to accommodate those newer to the genre. That being said, this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but apparently it has come at the expense of alienating some more aged and hardcore players.

What 2009 releases have you enjoyed most?

Not Modern Warfare 2.

But to be honest with you, that's the only game I've bought this whole year. Not to mention the only system I have is an X360, and the only games that I really like or can play for an extensive period of time are extremely competitive FPS's.

batman, borderlands, and little kings story are my three, but i havent really played a whole load of brand new 09 titles this year. if i had to choose a goty for games ive played this eyar instead of games that came out this year, id probably go for dead space, but for 09 releases i think im gonna have to go with little kings story. greatest impulse buy ever.

Further adding to the PS2's game library, I just discovered that a new Megaten game came out this year, Devil Summoner 2. From the reviews I've read, it seems to be much better than the first Devil Summoner, so I'll have to check it out when I get the chance.

Fifa 10,

gameplay is awesome and the graphics really looks like you're playing a real soccer game and everythings updated it's just really nice...if you do like soccer.

Uncharted 2, or Arkham Asylum.

Uncharted 2 hands down had the best story and most stunning visuals this year.
Asylum was just epic.

-Other Possible Choices-
L4D2 is good, but chances are I'm going to shelf it after a month just like I did with L4D.

Modern Warfare 2 is another great game, but most people, including myself, can see that new additions in features make even bigger problems.

Outside of Pokémon, I don't play many video games. however, i have played the occasional match of MW2 and it is a VERY good game. I have no idea why its a good game, theres just something I find unique about it. Okay, so I'm really not very good at it, and I do play on my Brothers profile, but I do enjoy the whole experience.

I have a feeling though, that Assasains creed 2 will be good. I know its out currently, but I haven't had chance to play on it yet (Christmas present for my brother...shhh!) but have recently dug out the original game and it is really good. I have high expectations for the sequel.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
Batman AA really blew me away. The creepy atmosphere was stunning. I'm also fairly sure it's the only game that I have ever played that blended stealth and a beatemup brawler so well.
Another game that caught me off guard was shift. I really enjoyed it's sort of half arcade half simulator feel. I can certainly see why some people wouldn't like it from a first impression (and it can be pretty unforgiving even after you get over the first learning curve) but I really think it's one of the most rewarding games when you can play it well. Nailing a perfect drift round a corner for the first time is just so satisfying. I still never really learned how to do drift events but I could drift fairly well in regular races. Good times.

Scribblenauts for the DS was a great game. I've played it with my friend and it's very innovative, especially with turning the main screen into a play-thing. We've had a lot of fun with that. It was a great idea with a great premise that, while not perfecting, excelled in it's execution.

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor is an RPG that is able to eliminate these boring and time-consuming aspects by masquerading as a strategy game. It takes the grid-based combat system of SRPGs like Final Fantasy Tactics and combines it with the turn-based combat system of traditional RPGs like Dragon Warrior and Mother, with the monster collection aspect of Pokemon and Monster Rancher thrown in for good measure.
Right series, wrong game.

Persona 4 is GOTY, I'm not sure anything is particularly close, and it's probably a top 20 game of all time. The story is amazing, and will literally keep you in suspense from the first hour to the last hour, the music is excellent, the characters are both deep and easy to relate to, and the gameplay basically takes Persona 3's already excellent gameplay and irons out the few remaining wrinkles (such as actually controlling your character).

Scribblenauts was not all that great a game. It had a great premise, but the controls just weren't all that good. At least it came with a good hat.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Scribblenauts was not all that great a game. It had a great premise, but the controls just weren't all that good. At least it came with a good hat.
Yeah it was really really fun for about a week and a half, then I got tired of trying to manipulate the touch-screen. Hopefully they'll come out with a sequel that fixes the damn control scheme (like being able to select objects with the shoulders and manipulating them with the d-pad and typing with the touch screen).

Personally my favorite game of '09 was The Beatles: Rock Band, but that's because I'm a sucker for their music =)

Is Assassin's Creed 2 much better than 1? 1 was a brilliant game for about 3 hours whilst you got used to it but then after that every single level was exactly the same - and it got really dull. Kinda put me off buying 2.

Persona 4 is GOTY, I'm not sure anything is particularly close, and it's probably a top 20 game of all time. The story is amazing, and will literally keep you in suspense from the first hour to the last hour, the music is excellent, the characters are both deep and easy to relate to, and the gameplay basically takes Persona 3's already excellent gameplay and irons out the few remaining wrinkles (such as actually controlling your character).
I've got to agree, Persona 4 is among the top games of the year. It may not be the best, but it's the best that comes to mind at the moment.

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion

Then again, this is for 09 games. Persona 4 is an 08 Game. Dec 08 to be exact so meh. It's close.

I will have to say that Demons Souls is a high contender as well.

Persona 4 is GOTY
Right game, wrong year. Persona 4 was released last year. Coincidentally, I just got a machine capable of playing PS2 games, and I have been thoroughly enjoying Persona 4 so far. (In fact, I have the game running paused right now.) As mentioned earlier, another Megaten game (Devil Summoner 2) did come to the PS2 in 2009, which is pretty amazing, all things considered. I'm beginning to wonder if Atlus is ever going to let the console die. As an aside, there's another Megaten game coming out next year (abandoning Tokyo for a deep south setting) for the DS, which has me thrilled since the DS is the only current-gen platform I own (besides PC).
Is Assassin's Creed 2 much better than 1? 1 was a brilliant game for about 3 hours whilst you got used to it but then after that every single level was exactly the same - and it got really dull. Kinda put me off buying 2.
Basically every single review of Assassin's Creed II has said that it's like the original, except with greater mission variety so it's not boring and repetitive. From what I've seen of the game itself, this assessment seems to be accurate. I think that Assassin's Creed II is everything that you wanted from Assassin's Creed. You might want to check it out.

I like Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story the most.
I was looking for a new handheld game for my DS (not that I have ever been bored with Pokemon) and it caught my eye.
Much better than the previous two in the series.
Scribblenauts is a close second in handheld.
Very entertaining, and a lot of puzzle-solving.
Third was Gran Turismo PSP.
Console:
basically everything that was mentioned above has been good.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So far? Uncharted 2: Among Thieves is hands down the best game I've played this year. With perfect pacing, amazing visuals, excellent dialogue, and satisfying game mechanics, it was really one of the best experiences I've had the pleasure of playing this generation. I have a full review written up on the board if you want to know more about why.

Another game I've played this year that I think stands a shot is Left 4 Dead 2. I also enjoyed Brutal Legend, Halo 3: ODST, and Star Ocean IV: The Last Hope to an extent but don't think they belong there. I have very mixed feelings on Borderlands as I think it's a decent game that has a shitty developer who has no idea what they're doing handling it.

As for games I have played some of this year that I don't feel were very good at all, Killzone 2 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 fall under this camp. I'm going to finish Killzone 2 and hopefully it gets better. Same with MW2.

I hope to play Batman Arkham Asylum before this year is done for a better idea of my GOTY as well. I've heard great things about it. I've also got The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks in the mail. I plan to pick up Torchlight during the Steam sale.

Firestorm, do you recommend getting Uncharted 2 if i haven't played the first?

and Tekken 6 sounds overrated, a little bit. Maybe i will just pick GT5 next year

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Firestorm, do you recommend getting Uncharted 2 if i haven't played the first?

and Tekken 6 sounds overrated, a little bit. Maybe i will just pick GT5 next year
It's still a great standalone game, although I'd recommend blowing through the first one just so you can get a better sense of the characters before you start the second. In my opinion, the interaction between the characters is one of the strongest points of the game. Much of it has to do with the actors. They do their lines as they do the motion-capture for their own characters which really brings them to life. More games should do this! You will enjoy Uncharted 2 without playing the first one, I just think you'll enjoy it more with context. Uncharted 1 is definitely an inferior game though. It's a good game, but not amazing. It doesn't match up to its successor. My friends seem to find the first one stunning as well though.

The first game is pretty cheap these days. Amazon has UC1 for $27 and UC2 for $50. $77 for two games isn't half bad considering that's less than how much a new game costs in Canada after tax =(

Monster hunter freedom Unite for the PsP was an absolutely amazing game. The visuals are great when going through a game like that, the mechanics themselves are very skill based and require you to study the type of wyvern your fighting and adjust your tactics accordingly. There are enough weapon types to keep everyone happy, with no one weapon type trumping the others and each one has its specific uses/ intended targets.

Theres NO PVP in this game, meaning the entire game is done either solo or with 3 other people. From my experience it feels alot less nerdy and time consuming when you have people sitting right across from you who you can hang out with when your not playing games. I would frequently hang out with my friends in town or something and then we would come back and play MH to unwind. In an interview the MH project director said that was one of the points, to have people not just stuck behind a computer screen all day and get them to interact with people as their playing the game. Which is something I really like about it.

It also ate up 350+ hours of my life. 1200+ if you count the last 2 MH games I've played.

Best games of 2009 in my opinion would probably be: Mario and luigi 3 Bowser's Inside story which ate up many hours. I was not expecting this game to be as fun or as exciting as it actually was. I Enjoyed it alot. It put together the great gameplay of the first game and the good music from the second game. Perhaps a small lack of difficulty may be that game's downfall. The second game I really enjoyed in 2009 would be the recently released 'Legend of Zelda : Spirit Tracks' for DS. I had never really enjoyed any zelda games before this and after watching a walkthrough of the first parts of the game I decided some of the mechanics looked fun. So I got the game and it has been perhaps my best purchase of 2009. I think phantom Hourglass makes the DS zeldas look bad. However I'd really reccomend this to anyone looking for a good present.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)