Battle Spot Interview Central

Status
Not open for further replies.
What Pokémon would you like to see get a Mega Evolution? There are a lot I'd like to see get mega Evolutions like Regice, Armaldo, Jynx, and Ariados.Would you want any of those to get mega Evolutions? I think it's way better when Pokémon like Mawile and Beedrill get Mega Evolutions than when Pokes like Garchomp or Gyarados get them, would you agree? I'm also curious as to what you think about the different formats in Battle Spot. I've only played BSS competitively, and I wonder if I should try something else. Also, I'm wondering whether or not Triples is just too much and Doubles is better. What Pokémon in the top 12 has given you the most trouble?

I always hear the others on skype pronounce your name "no-ved", but I say "nove-d" (with the o's sounding like they do in snow, for those who aren't aware). Which do you prefer?
Ummm, well I've always said no-ved in my head. But i do like the sound of nove-d. That's a tough decision. I guess nove-d kinda makes more sense too so i'll pick that. But yeah like I said with Misaka, any way is fine by me.

Why do you want Swagger buffed but Dark Void banned? Seems.. hypocritical contradictory, lol. Do you think there are some forms of 'hax' that are ok, whereas others are OP? Are there any more gimmicky / 'haxy' strats / moves that you'd like buffed / nerfed? Would you say your playstyle fits the more haxy moves, or do you like balance?
Yeah it's pretty hypocritical haha the swagger thing was mostly as a joke. But my main hatred for dark void comes from it hitting more than one target(and cant be blocked by wide guard, cmon gamefreak). I like using swagger on some teams as a nice last ditch effort. I think its a really viable move in that aspect and works well in conjunction with things like unaware clefable and sub users who take advantage of confusion. 'Haxy' moves can actually put you in a better position than your opponent so you'll always have that bit of an edge over them if they're confused or para'd or whatever. I dont think Dark Void is in the category of haxy but more so just annoying, its just an incredibly solid move(mainly in triples, thats where most of my hate for it stems). And I dont think theres any other haxy move that I think is too OP or needs a buff. Prankster shenanigans is pretty bad imo but it's not the moves themselves that are OP in that case.

How do you like being a Room Owner? It's nice to see one of the forum guys rise up the ranks amongst the PS regulars.
It's cool. Most of the time it doesnt feel too different from being a mod and I don't feel like it's all that much more power or anything. But the extra things I can do are pretty fun and it's pretty sweet to be called the owner i guess haha.

I know you play all singles, doubles and triples, which do you like more? Do they all have something different that you like about them? If so, what are those things?
I think I prefer singles. I just feel the teams and sets are funner than what you see played in dubs/trips and I personally enjoy singles more lately. Triples is just an incredibly interesting format though. Each turn has so many possibilities for plays and combinations and i like that a lot. And plowing through teams with strong spread moves is really fun. Doubles is cool, just an overall solid format and imo pretty balanced. Doubles is probably the best format for competitive play cause of that, not surprising its the format for VGC.

What Pokémon would you like to see get a Mega Evolution? There are a lot I'd like to see get mega Evolutions like Regice, Armaldo, Jynx, and Ariados.Would you want any of those to get mega Evolutions? I think it's way better when Pokémon like Mawile and Beedrill get Mega Evolutions than when Pokes like Garchomp or Gyarados get them, would you agree?
Yeah it's definitely nice when underdogs get megas and have a chance to shine. I think a Jynx mega would be cool, jynx is a pretty interesting pokemon as is. I would like to see Ariados get a mega, but only if it had an ability that gave it +1 Atk and +2 Spe upon entering the battle.

Personally I would like to see a Mega Mamoswine with something OP like Refriderate and over 110 speed. Or Mega Pangoro with Tough Claws or just one of the abilities it already has.

I'm also curious as to what you think about the different formats in Battle Spot. I've only played BSS competitively, and I wonder if I should try something else. Also, I'm wondering whether or not Triples is just too much and Doubles is better.
Trying other formats can be a pretty nice change of pace and they're all a lot of fun. Doubles and Triples are both great. If you're new to both I would suggest getting into Doubles before you try Triples. Even going from singles to doubles can be a big step for some people, trying triples straight away would probably be super overwhelming. But once you get the hang of doubles, getting used to triples is basically a walk in the park. I can't say much for Rotations as I havent played much but it looks cool and if you ever wanted to get into that I'd say go for it. But prepare to wait a good while for matches, same thing goes for triples.

What Pokémon in the top 12 has given you the most trouble?
Probably blaziken. Thats a tough mon for me to face sometimes, i dont think its OP or anything but out of the top 12 i usually get fucked by blaziken the most.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would like to see Ariados get a mega, but only if it had an ability that gave it +1 Atk and +2 Spe upon entering the battle.
lol, any other Super Squad Showdown inspired Megas you want or nah?

edit: or was it the Halloween seasonal Ariados got that?

Probably blaziken. Thats a tough mon for me to face sometimes, i dont think its OP or anything but out of the top 12 i usually get fucked by blaziken the most.
Really? The worst for me is probably...umm...well it's usually not a top 12 Poke that gives me the most trouble, since I always try to prepare for them. That's not to say they're completely unthreatening to my team, ofc, but their usually not the worst. I'm guessing it's for singles Blaziken is trouble for you, since that's what you play most. I'm guessing it's the Mega and non-mega variants of it since they're quite similar. What do they typically do that gets you? Do you use any Pokes that can beat them pretty easily like Talon, Megamence, Slowbro, Gyarados(Rock moves andT-Punch suck, but they're not that common), Mega Altaria, Mega Swampert, or Rotom-W? One thing that was pretty fun to use, that beats Blazikens, is EQ Mega Venusaur.

Also, what are you favorite strats in Doubles? A huge benefit to Singles is you can immediately discount a wide range of strategies because they just don't really work(especially in 3v3), and is the main if not only reason I've stuck to singles thus far, but you get no such luxury in Doubles or Triples. There's so much stuff that works way better in those Metas. Dual Screens, weather, Gravity, TR, Tailwind, Safeguard, etc., how do you decide. Is Infiltrator a really good idea in Doubles/Triples because the opponent is more likely to set up Screens(and what about Brick Break?), or is it worse because the opponent is less likely to use Substitute?

Really? The worst for me is probably...umm...well it's usually not a top 12 Poke that gives me the most trouble, since I always try to prepare for them. That's not to say they're completely unthreatening to my team, ofc, but their usually not the worst. I'm guessing it's for singles Blaziken is trouble for you, since that's what you play most. I'm guessing it's the Mega and non-mega variants of it since they're quite similar. What do they typically do that gets you? Do you use any Pokes that can beat them pretty easily like Talon, Megamence, Slowbro, Gyarados(Rock moves andT-Punch suck, but they're not that common), Mega Altaria, Mega Swampert, or Rotom-W? One thing that was pretty fun to use, that beats Blazikens, is EQ Mega Venusaur.

Also, what are you favorite strats in Doubles? A huge benefit to Singles is you can immediately discount a wide range of strategies because they just don't really work(especially in 3v3), and is the main if not only reason I've stuck to singles thus far, but you get no such luxury in Doubles or Triples. There's so much stuff that works way better in those Metas. Dual Screens, weather, Gravity, TR, Tailwind, Safeguard, etc., how do you decide. Is Infiltrator a really good idea in Doubles/Triples because the opponent is more likely to set up Screens(and what about Brick Break?), or is it worse because the opponent is less likely to use Substitute?
Well its not a mon that gives me trouble every game. But you made me pick one of the 12 and i guess blaziken is just the one thats been the most troubling. Its mostly the other sets that throw me for a loop like dedicated baton pass, hp ice, lum berry. And i dont always bring dedicated counters like gyara and slowbro so thats probably why. But i dont like adding dedicated counters to a team if they dont really fit.

And i dont usually pick strats like that in doubles. I just use goodstuff most of the time. And idk, most infiltrator mons arent really worth running just because "i need infiltrator!!". Screens arent as common as it seems you think it is. Especially in doubles.. But chandelure is decent on TR teams. I wouldnt just slap it on any team for its ability though, infiltator isnt going to be that useful.

Just throwing in a few questions before Hulavuta gets interviewed:

What other games do you play besides Pokemon? Do you prefer any of them over Pokemon?

Is there any particular pokemon or moveset from a pokemon you feel that is underrated in Battle Spot Singles? Would you expect that pokemon/moveset to rise in usage in the future?

Just throwing in a few questions before Hulavuta gets interviewed:

What other games do you play besides Pokemon? Do you prefer any of them over Pokemon?
I play a lot of nintendo games, mostly Splatoon and Mario Maker lately. I recently got into Hearthstone and i've been playing that more than anything right now. Maybe not at the moment but overall, the pokemon series is probably my favorite over anything else.

Is there any particular pokemon or moveset from a pokemon you feel that is underrated in Battle Spot Singles? Would you expect that pokemon/moveset to rise in usage in the future?
Mega Heracross is pretty underrated, I think it'll be consistently rising in usage even if it happens slowly. To me it already feels like its being used more than the stats are showing. But i guess that's just personal experience. As for a specific moveset, I think AV mamo is really good/underrated. Its definitely my favorite mamo set and i'd expect it to continue to rise in usage throughout oras. Its just really nice to deal with bulky mons and hit them with Fissure and living Thundurus FB after rocks.

[quote="
Mega Heracross is pretty underrated, I think it'll be consistently rising in usage even if it happens slowly. To me it already feels like its being used more than the stats are showing.[/quote]

Wasn't gonna ask anything else, but since you mentioned Mega Cross I thought of a really big question I have. Running CC, Bullet Seed, Pin Missile, and Rock Blast, I couldn't even scratch Aegislash. Running Earthquake or Knock Off solves this, but they're much weaker than those other four moves, which all add very useful coverage-except Pin Missile, but that's just such a powerful STAB that it's hard to pass up. I don't have Mega across on my current team, but I'd still like to know what's the best moveset for it. Or at least the one you use/would use, or see most often.

Wasn't gonna ask anything else, but since you mentioned Mega Cross I thought of a really big question I have. Running CC, Bullet Seed, Pin Missile, and Rock Blast, I couldn't even scratch Aegislash. Running Earthquake or Knock Off solves this, but they're much weaker than those other four moves, which all add very useful coverage-except Pin Missile, but that's just such a powerful STAB that it's hard to pass up. I don't have Mega across on my current team, but I'd still like to know what's the best moveset for it. Or at least the one you use/would use, or see most often.
CC/Pin missile/rock blast/bullet seed
EQ is a viable option, use it over CC. They both hit steel types and EQ lets hit you hit mawile and aegislash for decent damage. The only thing CC is needed for is kanga but that beats you anyway usually. Every other move is necessary and shouldnt be replaced.

If you dont run EQ then just run stuff that deals with aegi like heatran.

Last edited:
Misaka Mikoto: Hello Hula, could you tell us a little bit about yourself? Your interests, hobbies, occupation, etc?

Hulavuta: Sure! Hi everyone, I am Hulavuta. I'm currently a 2nd year college student going for a degree in Social Work, although that may change soon, who knows! I'm a bit of an artist, I am a fiction author and a musician. I enjoy playing the saxophone, trumpet, piano, harmonica...and kazoo, some of them better than others. I am also a big movie guy, and into various animated series, whether they be anime or western. I used to play a lot of video games but don't much anymore...I tried to cut down on games to focus on more creative things, but that didn't go so well. I just found other distractions to waste my time on. But I do play some games, mostly on the 3DS, like Pokemon, Super Smash Bros., Fire Emblem, Etrian Odyssey, etc. I also play StarCraft 2 and Undertale occasionally. I also recently got into figure collecting, it is a lot of fun. Though, it hurts your wallet severely. I find it's money well spent most of the time.

Misaka Mikoto: That's quite a lot of hobbies you have there. How does it feel to be a college student?

Hulavuta: It is definitely a whole hell of a lot better than high school, I can say that for sure. It is honestly pretty good, I definitely feel like I am actually learning things and actually moving toward my goals. It also brings you a lot of freedom, which is nice.

Misaka Mikoto: You mentioned that you play Fire Emblem. I'm a big fan of the series as well. What made you get into the game?

Hulavuta: Yeah, I saw my brother playing Fire Emblem for a long time growing up but was never really into it. I think I got into it through Smash Bros, which is where a lot of people got into it I guess. I played Marth often in Melee because he was a sword user and I could wear that edgy dark cape. In Brawl, back when I played with items we would use the assist trophies and one of the best ones was Lyn. She was kind of interesting to me because it was like this random cute girl that just appears and then OHKOes a player and then leaves. Kinda got me curious. That got me into playing Fire Emblem 7 and I've been a fan of the series ever since.

Misaka Mikoto: How did you learn how to play several instruments btw?

Hulavuta: Hmm, well I started playing the saxophone in 6th grade when I joined band. My dad wanted my brothers and myself to be musical, although I'm the only one who really stuck with it past school. He wasn't really that strict as far as Asian parents go in terms of making you learn instruments. I just messed around with my friends' trumpets in school and that's how I learned how to play it. I'm in the process of acquiring my own trumpet at the moment but it's kind of delayed, hehe. As for piano, I am currently taking piano classes at my college. And I'm learning harmonica online. As for kazoo...well that one's self explanatory. I find it's definitely much easier to learn another instrument once you've already learned one. Most of the skills you develop transfer over very nicely, it's just a matter of adapting. It's kinda funny because I wasn't big on music when I was a kid, it was a subject totally lost on me. When other kids talked about it at school, that was when I took a break from the conversation. But nowadays it's a thing I can talk about for a while and am relatively knowledgeable about.

Misaka Mikoto: Nice! I can already tell you're an awesome piano player. I have been wondering, what was the reason behind you being inactive?

Hulavuta: Because I am Asian I have to be a good piano player??? I kid, I kid. But yeah, I definitely can tangibly see my improvement over the year, so that's good. Hmm as for my inactivity. Well, I don't want to say everything because that's my business, but I was just facing a pretty big issue in my life at the time. To help deal with it I temporarily moved back in with my parents, who unfortunately do not have Wi-Fi, so I wasn't able to play. It's mostly taken care of now though, so that's good. Don't feel too sorry for me, hehe. Things should be back to business as usual for me very soon!

Misaka Mikoto: Where did you get your name from exactly? Every time when I say it to myself, I think of a hula-hoop.

Hulavuta: Back when I was a very little kid, my family and I used to play on our uncle's Nintendo 64. We mostly played Star Fox but we also played Diddy Kong Racing. And one of the stages we played often was Hot Top Volcano, which has this music. It was kinda unusual because as far as I know, the soundtracks for the racetracks did not have any lyrics, but this one did. We were young and kinda ignorant of other languages at this age so we assumed it was English and to us it sounded like "your mama Hulavuta." So we just assumed Hulavuta was a name and a guy name for some reason even though we thought it said mama. I assumed it was the name of one of the dinosaurs in the volcano, because throughout the stages there are various dinosaurs that you can run into. As kids we were really big on Legos and I was a big dinosaur nut so we created this character called Hulavuta and made him out of Legos. He kinda went through different incarnations over the years but the consistent thing was that he was a dinosaur that could shapeshift into other dinosaurs. When the internet started becoming more and more of a thing and more and more people were using it, my family got off dial-up and got more computers in the house, so I naturally started to go online more. I couldn't really think of any other names to use, so I started using Hulavuta as my username, and from then on it just became my go-to username for every site. Sometimes I think it's kinda weird and childish because it's just a made-up word that I got from mishearing something as a child. But it's grown on me recently in the past few months, and it's got a nice story behind it too so I kinda like it again. Haha. I hope that clears up some confusion. It doesn't have anything to actually do with the hula dance, that's just a coincidence. It did make me a fan of hula dancing though, I felt like I had to be just because of my name.

Misaka Mikoto: What's your favorite Pokemon and why?

Hulavuta: Gotta say it's Tyranitar. When I was a kid, I was stuck between Tyranitar and Mewtwo. Mewtwo is definitely one of my favorite characters, but as for personal favorite Pokemon, Tyranitar all the way! Like I said, I was a dinosaur kid, so Tyranitar was something I was naturally drawn to. I recently got into Godzilla again too, so I can appreciate having Godzilla in Pokemon. Competitively speaking, I also like how extremely versatile it is. It fits on a ton of teams, both in central and supporting roles. Too bad it's not that amazing in Battle Spot, I wish it was!

Misaka Mikoto: Now that brings me to asking you, what got you into Smogon forums?

Hulavuta: I wrote a very nice post about it here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/what-brought-you-to-smogon.3522711/#post-5875337

Misaka Mikoto: I see I see. Specifically, how did you get into Battle Spot?

Hulavuta: I didn't originally want to be a Battle Spot player. When X and Y came out, I actually wanted to become a UU superstar. A few people I knew such as Age of Kings, Stellar (now known as nerd), cant say, and CoolStoryBrobat played Battle Spot, so that's how I noticed it. It was kinda new so I was interested even though I didn't think I'd ever play it. But after I realized for myself how astronomically easier breeding perfect Pokemon became, I got interested in it, so I started doing some breeding myself. So the main reason I decided to play Battle Spot was because it was in-game. I just tried it out and it seemed pretty fun. I looked around the forum and it seemed pretty dead so I thought it would be a nice place to establish myself and hopefully bring some life to. I thought that it would be pretty hard to stand out as a user in, say, a forum like OU, where there are so many users. Although, I guess I was wrong because there were many users who joined after 2013 who seemed to go on to become well-known members. But that's what happened with me at the time. The reason I stayed with Battle Spot so long, huh. I guess because it was my job, hehe. Just about 3 months after I joined the forum, Stellar approached me about modding it since it wasn't moderated at the time. As for why I haven't retired yet...well I still enjoy the game I guess, even after almost 2 years. I feel like we're finally actually getting a community too and I want to stick around to help it grow. I feel like I still have experience and leadership that can be useful for the community.

Misaka Mikoto: How are you planning to continue growing the community?

Hulavuta: New user retention is the biggest thing. Battle Spot technically has the largest playerbase of any metagame, but when you look at our forum, we're one of the smallest on Smogon. What I want to do is be able to reach out to players new to the forum, and those who haven't joined yet, and get them to become regulars. Another thing I have been interested in doing for a long time is having regular tournaments because I feel that despite our members being pretty close, we actually don't battle each other all that much. Well, we do on Showdown, but as we're the Battle Spot forum, we want to do as much on the 3DS as we possibly can, hehe. That's an important part of a community that I think we really lack.

Misaka Mikoto: Who do you see as an upcoming contributor right now?

Hulavuta: If you asked me a month ago, I would have said bobochan. But it looks like he's already well on his way nowadays, so I won't say him. I'd have to say GateCreeper and 6tennis are two guys that I can see becoming good contributors in the future. They definitely have a lot of enthusiasm for the game; on the other hand they also respect authority and can accept being corrected. So I think they definitely have the right attitude and under the right influence can become fine young men both on Smogon and outside of it.

Misaka Mikoto: If there was anything you could change in Battle Spot, what would it be and why?

Hulavuta: Honestly, what I would change would be to just lower the overall power of the metagame. ORAS introduced a bunch of Mega Pokemon that are stupid levels of strong. There are just a lot of Pokemon that cannot keep up in the meta nowadays, which is quite sad. I'd like to make the metagame more diverse so as to allow more kinds of Pokemon to be used viably without gimmicks.

Misaka Mikoto: What underrated Pokemon do you think deserves more time in Battle Spot and why?

Hulavuta: Hmm, well back in XY, I used to use Sharpedo a lot on almost every team when I was first starting out. cant say liked Sharpedo too, that was kind of our thing. I think it's pretty underrated; with Speed Boost it can outspeed almost every Pokemon and with Sash it is a pretty good "safety net" Pokemon. It gets pretty great coverage with Water / Ice / Dark. Sometimes you can even put Destiny Bond on it to nab that dirty kill later on too.

Misaka Mikoto: Is there any advice you'd like to give to people that are new to Battle Spot?

Hulavuta: Yeah, just play as much as you possibly can and learn from experience. Don't worry about your ladder points because those really don't matter and they'll hold you back from wanting to play. Just play and have fun and make sure you're learning at the same time, and your points will take care of themselves eventually.

Misaka Mikoto: What are some forums you like (besides Battle Spot) and dislike and why?

Hulavuta: Hmm, well Orange Islands is where I started out on this site, so it is a special place for me even though most of the people I knew from there are gone now. And I really like C&C and appreciate all the work they do there. We're kinda part of it now too. And I think Wi-Fi is one of the best communities on Smogon too, everyone there is super helpful and nice, it is a pretty good place. I don't really dislike any forums because I think they all serve a purpose. Maybe I think people should try to be less offensive and disrespectful to each other in Cong but that's it really.

Misaka Mikoto: We have our own forums, analysis, format, etc. Do you expect us to get Battle Spot tutoring added along with the other formats in Battling 101?

Hulavuta: Maybe eventually, but it's not something I am in a hurry to get going. I think we should take things one at a time and slowly build our userbase. For example, we started our C&C section last year, but it's gotten very slow lately, and that's a far more important resource than tutoring, in my opinion. So I have no problem doing the slow and steady route because we don't have the manpower to be doing so many things at once. Our users are very helpful with any questions people have, so it's quite easy for newer users to get the help they need. Though, I find that most new users already play the game anyway.

Misaka Mikoto: Let's wrap this up! Is there anything else you would like to say before we close this off?

Hulavuta: Um, I hope everyone enjoyed this interview, and please let us know what you thought and leave some more questions below. I hope to be getting back to business as usual in the Battle Spot forum very soon.

Misaka Mikoto: Thank you for your time HuHu!!!

Hulavuta: No problem!

You sound like you do a lot. This is kind of a weird question, but do you get enough sleep? Sleeping's the best.

And do you just like TTar, or do you actually use it in battles too? It's certainly viable in each BS meta, tho I personally don't like it mainly due to that 4x Fighting weakness. All the other weaknesses are pretty bad too, and what's bulk without recovery? Do you like to have it mega evolve or not? It's actually more common for it not be mega, which I can understand. Extra stats is nice, but it's otherwise the same, as opposed to the best Megas which get new abilities.

Also, I find it kinda funny that you really like/liked dinosaurs, since liking those is like stereotypical for little boys/kids. "Every little boy/kid knows everything about trucks and dinosaurs," that's from Rallo in the Cleveland Show(they shouldn't have cancelled it, tho I guess it wouldn't matter anymore since I haven't had cable in a long time.)

Btw, your name makes me think of the Pokemon Hawlucha.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Hula why is your wall full of memes?

Also how far did you get to becoming the dream UU superstar you wanted to be? Would you play UU again?

What will you do if Battle Spot is no longer named Battle Spot in Gen 7? D:

What's your favorite pokemon to use in battle spot and why?

Do you think Gohan will ever surpass goku and vegeta again?

Why were you interested in UU? Why not Ubers or OU?

GateCreeper and 6tennis are two guys that I can see becoming good contributors in the future. They definitely have a lot of enthusiasm for the game; on the other hand they also respect authority and can accept being corrected. So I think they definitely have the right attitude and under the right influence can become fine young men both on Smogon and outside of it.
Implying that I'm ever wrong xD

jk jk but seriously, what college are you at right now?

Do you have a favorite meme? If so, why?

How do you manage doing so much stuff?

bobochan next imo

Favorite smogon memory?

What are your thoughts on the wifi economy?

Who do you think will take the tour?

Which pokemon would you like to have a drink with?

Whats your least favorite mon to face in battle? Excluding anything with prankster

Cab you tell us a story of one of your smogon dreams?

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Okay, I'm here.

You sound like you do a lot. This is kind of a weird question, but do you get enough sleep? Sleeping's the best.
That is pretty perceptive of you! No, I wouldn't say I get enough sleep but I don't think it's because I do too much. It's more because I am a chronic procrastinator and I always feel like I need at least 2 or 3 hours of browsing the internet before I go to bed. So I end up putting off whatever responsibility I need to do until at least midnight, and then I need a few hours on the internet and then wake up a few hours later. Also doesn't help that I absolutely refuse to ever sleep in, sometimes I'll go to 11 by accident but honestly if I sleep past 9 or so I feel like shit. And I don't mean I feel guilty for sleeping in, I mean like I'll be hot, have a headache, my mouth will be all gross, etc.

And do you just like TTar, or do you actually use it in battles too? It's certainly viable in each BS meta, tho I personally don't like it mainly due to that 4x Fighting weakness. All the other weaknesses are pretty bad too, and what's bulk without recovery? Do you like to have it mega evolve or not? It's actually more common for it not be mega, which I can understand. Extra stats is nice, but it's otherwise the same, as opposed to the best Megas which get new abilities.
I am actually morally opposed to Mega Tyranitar because I hate its design so much. I have literally never mega evolved any of my Tyranitars in-game. Fun fact.

I find Tyranitar to be not all that splashable, since it gets destroyed hard by common megas like Kanga, Salamence, Blaziken, Lucario, etc. Even stuff like Gengar, which it can technically beat, can burn it and basically make it useless for the rest of the game. Honestly, I find most of its use in countering Fire-types and Dragons. It is a pretty good Talonflame check, as well as Heatran and the rare Typhlosion. It's pretty good at beating Latios and Hydreigon too. But if we're being honest I never really think to myself that it's the best choice for a team, I just pick it out of loyalty. It does work though, so I'm just glad my favorite Pokemon didn't end up being Butterfree or something.

What I'm working on right now is Choice Band Tyranitar in Trick Room with Cofagrigus. Cofag has really good type synergy since obviously Ghost and Dark are good together and he really scares away physical attackers. And once Tyranitar actually has speed, it can really plow through things that used to give it trouble, like Gengar, Salamence, Blaziken, basically everything I listed above. I tried it against NOVED the other day and it went pretty well (although I didn't bring Cofag because I forgot to put Trick Room on it lol...I ended up setting up Trick Room with Reuniclus which is another one of my favorite Pokemon that I want to use) so I'm really looking forward to trying it on the ladder when I get time.

Also, I find it kinda funny that you really like/liked dinosaurs, since liking those is like stereotypical for little boys/kids. "Every little boy/kid knows everything about trucks and dinosaurs," that's from Rallo in the Cleveland Show(they shouldn't have cancelled it, tho I guess it wouldn't matter anymore since I haven't had cable in a long time.)
Yeah, it's completely true. There was even a thread here a while ago called "were you a dinosaur kid or a monster truck kid?" I mean you could go deep into it psychologically about why kids are so attracted to them. Something about how they represent power and freedom and how they fuel kid's imaginations considering they only exist in books and movies and such. My favorite dinosaur is Eustreptospondylus, and has been since I was a kid watching it on Walking with Dinosaurs (that we recorded from TV onto VHS, damn the memories). I never really saw it this way when I was a kid, but nowadays I think telling people that would make me sound pretentious as shit like I'm trying to show off by saying my favorite dinosaur is something nobody's ever heard of. Lol.

But to be honest I kinda fell off on my dinosaur knowledge during elementary school, I really don't know that much nowadays or keep up with the latest discoveries. The Triceratops controversy in 2010 was interesting though, and led me to discover a pretty good quote ("Science is the search for truth, not the search for things that we want to be true.").

Btw, your name makes me think of the Pokemon Hawlucha.
Yeah. Soon after XY came out I actually registered the name Hawluchavuta on IRC, though it's long expired by now.

Hula why is your wall full of memes?
You know, I honestly never noticed that until EnGarde one day pointed out how fun my wall was and how she should check up on it more often to see funny stuff. And recently DragonWhale was saying he'd go to my page when he was bored at work. I never really was actually aware of it until people pointed it out to me.

I think maybe I just seem to be a naturally and genuinely fun and inviting person and so people are naturally drawn to that. I even get strangers memeing on my page, so I must be doing something to seem inviting.

Also how far did you get to becoming the dream UU superstar you wanted to be? Would you play UU again?
Most of my achievements were in Black and White UU, but that was kind of short-lived because I got into it around July, which gave me only a few months before X and Y were released and all attention went to that.

I think my biggest achievement was getting second place in "The Apocalypse Mini-Tournament" which got me into the UnderUsed Hall of Fame which nobody knows or cares about except for me. But here it is: http://www.smogon.com/tiers/uu/hof

As for ever playing UU again...I don't think I could ever play a 6v6 singles meta ever again. My way of thinking is so screwed now, I can't really think long-term when making decisions. And I also am finding the Battle Spot (and our sister VGC) communities to be very nice and the place I really fit in and that's really kind of what I look for first. And as much as this is just harping on an old point, I am not a big fan of the tiering system in principle. It really seems like a vestige of a time that is long gone. But I know that people really want to stick with what they know and Smogon's tiering system does fill a very needed niche in the Pokemon community for having a commonly agreed upon set of rules for people who want to play 6v6. So I don't have a problem with it existing even though I don't like playing it anymore.

What will you do if Battle Spot is no longer named Battle Spot in Gen 7? D:
Probably complain about it for a few minutes if the new name is stupid, and then just get used to it.

What's your favorite pokemon to use in battle spot and why?
Tyranitar for reasons I've already said

Do you think Gohan will ever surpass goku and vegeta again?
I don't think so, because it is pretty much the Goku and Vegeta show now (at least it's not just the Goku show) which was especially proven by how they treated Piccolo and Majin Buu in the tournament (Piccolo gets cheated out of a win but Vegeta makes him forfeit anyway? lmoa. Majin Buu is too dumb to even compete? lmoa). Still though, they dropped the Gohan moment where he wants to train again, so I think he'll be fighting again but I don't think he'll surpass Goku and Vegeta. You never know with Toriyama though. It may seem unrelated but I think it really depends on if Monaka is revealed to be weak or powerful. Because if he's powerful then he'd be a viable fighter for the future arcs too so that would indicate whether or not we're going to be having an ensemble of Z-Fighters again or if it's gonna continue to be just Goku and Vegeta.

Why were you interested in UU? Why not Ubers or OU?
I did play OU a lot actually, so I wouldn't say I was disinterested in it. As for UU I wanted to make that my main tier because I felt it was not as big so there was more room for me to make a name for myself there. I also liked a lot of the Pokemon in it and the playstyles available. It wasn't dominated by weather Pokemon and it was a lot like DPP OU (considered to be the best or second best metagame ever, contested by DPP UU) but with a little expansion.

That was all in Black and White by the way. In XY I didn't really stick around with either for very long. I think at the time I was focusing more on Orange Islands so I didn't play competitively all that much, and then in April I got into Battle Spot.

As for Ubers I've just never really been that interested in it because I don't like everything to be so overpowered. Even though overpowered balances out overpowered, it is just not my thing. Too centralized too.

Implying that I'm ever wrong xD

jk jk but seriously, what college are you at right now?
Not saying that, you stalker >:[

it is a 2 year college though, so if everything goes well I'll be graduating in 2 months and then transfer to a university. Hoping to go to USF.

Do you have a favorite meme? If so, why?
Hard one. There are a few. I really like Baneposting, and Rick Rolling is a classic...and a lot of other memes that I can't really think of right now. I do distinctly remember posting something somewhere and saying it was my favorite meme, but I don't recall what it was.

Until further notice, I'll have to say my favorite meme is Mega Milk because she is so beautiful and I love her. (NSFW)

How do you manage doing so much stuff?
I don't, actually. Like I said, I'm a chronic procrastinator. I haven't actually played the Saxophone at all this year and my online Harmonica Academy 6 month subscription just expired and I only got through like 4 or 5 lessons. (By the way, not that I am sponsored by them or anything, but www.harmonicaacademy.com is actually a very useful resource for anyone wanting to learn harmonica. 20 dollars gets you 6 months and they take you right from the beginning with audio embedded into the lessons so you can hear what you are supposed to be sounding like). I have a novel that I've been wanting to get down but I haven't been writing it since November for Nanowrimo (which I also gave up on). I haven't played Battle Spot in a while and I haven't played Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold in months. I also haven't gotten very far in the eshop Pokemon Red or Digimon Dusk (that I restarted last month) either. I had to make the decision to completely give up trying to improve at drawing even though I was serious about it this year.

I like to be good at a lot of things but I kinda lack the discipline to manage my time very well, haha. I guess that's the one talent that eludes me >:[

Hopefully after next month though, I'll get serious about everything because I'll have a lot of free time in the summer.

bobochan next imo
cant say is next

Favorite smogon memory?
Really hard one. I don't know if I can say this is my absolute favorite (because there are a lot of good moments) but I'd say getting my first badge was a big one. I mean yeah it was a badge and all that but the main thing is it just came at the perfect time in my life. I stand by that December 2013 was the greatest month of my entire life and I haven't really had an experience that's topped it yet. There were just a lot of good things happening to me at that time and this was one of them. I remember I felt very flattered reading the badge nom post because Stellar (aka nerd now) noticed a lot of things that I did that I never even thought that I was doing (like how I was good at dealing with new users). It is just always nice to feel like what you do is being recognized and appreciated, especially when I myself didn't even recognize it!

All of late 2013 and early 2014 was just very memorable to me and something I look back at with a lot of nostalgia, despite the fact that it was less than 3 years ago.

Gotta say we are making good memories too though, in the Battle Spot skype/streaming group. Like running into Battle Spot Onix and Battle Spot Swalot. And trolling people on the OU ladder as "you will lose imo" with the insanely good Fly Lando-T. And generally messing with GroudonEmpire >:L

What are your thoughts on the wifi economy?
I think it is pretty good, despite the fact that there is so much good stuff being given away for free, people still manage to run pretty good business with not-all-that-exceptional stuff. I kinda wish special balls were not as valued though, even though I like them. But really they are just one of the ways to make your stuff unique because anyone can breed perfect Pokemon nowadays. I'm glad hatching spots never took off that much though.

Who do you think will take the tour?
It's really early to say but I think Demantoid has the biggest chance right now. Watching his replay and noticing how he actually counterteamed Pumped Aaron shows that he's taking this pretty seriously and is out for blood. So I think he's the one to watch out for.

Which pokemon would you like to have a drink with?
Machamp came to mind at first for some reason, but I thought well it'd have to be a Pokemon who could talk, because that's just more fun. Thought Mewtwo, but nah.

Definitely Keldeo. First off, it'd be funny seeing him try to drink considering he has no hands. Then once he managed to actually get drunk, it'd be funny to see what he would try to do with his "sword" if you get what I mean. I also feel like we're both pretty youthful as opposed to Mewtwo or Lucario or something, so it'd be more fun. Plus he's voiced by Vic Mignogna who is one of my heroes so that'd be close enough to actually meeting him even though they're nothing alike in terms of personality.

Whats your least favorite mon to face in battle? Excluding anything with prankster
Hard one. Probably Mega Venusaur, even though it's one of my favorites to use. It is just so freakishly hard to kill unless you have packed the right counter, due to its insane bulk and resistances and the fact that it can heal. Umbreon comes close too, for the same reasons.

Cab you tell us a story of one of your smogon dreams?
Yep. Okay, here's a weird one. It was back in 2013 I believe. Anyway, I dreamed I was in a school classroom that was on the second floor and had lots of windows. Kadew (one of my friends from Orange Islands) was a student in the classroom and Kevin Garrett from Battling 101 was there (despite the fact I have actually never talked to him, I only know who he is), as either the teacher or just a guy there. I knew what Kadew looked like because we were in the Orange Islands Google+ group where we did webcams sometimes (well everyone else did, I didn't have one at the time ;__;) so she appeared as herself, but Kevin Garrett was Monk from the show Monk, because that was his avatar at the time. He was still Kevin Garrett though, he just looked like Monk.

I don't remember all of the details but there was a school shooter there and he came into the classroom and there was a big panic. I think we hid under the desks or I still stood but used a desk in front of me as a shield. Since it was a dream there were a lot of shots and I was hit but not necessarily injured, like it would just replay and I would be fine, you know how dreams are. I think I ended up in the hospital later on, but I don't remember. Things are kind fuzzy, the only real facts I remember are that Kadew and Kevin Garrett were there, and there was a school shooter.

Phew, I think that answers everything for now. Looking forward to answering more tomorrow if y'all still wanna read my vanity walls of text about myself lol.

Litra

Desire Sensor's favorite plaything
is an Artist Alumnus
I got a couple...

Which mons do you find overrated in Battle Spot?

When will you stop stalking my wall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)