Pokémon Banette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been playing around with MBanette, and my god does this mon have the worst 4MSS I have ever seen.

I'm running a set right now that's Adamant/252HP/252 Atk/4 Def (should go to speed tbh to outrun Klefki) with Phantom Force/Taunt/Protect/Destiny Bond.

I used to run Shadow Sneak over Protect, and then I get owned when I Mega Evolve by fast Choice Specs/Band users. Then I ran Protect, and there are times I wished I had Shadow Sneak to KO weakened mons. I ran Shadow Sneak instead of Taunt, and got set up on. I can't take Phantom Force off because it's a really good attack (goes through protect/King's Shield ftw) and does a surprising amount of damage and works well with Prankster DB, but there are times I wished I ran another attack instead like Sucker Punch (to beat Normal types) or Knock off to beat stallers. I partner MBanette with Sableye so I don't miss WoW too much, but when Sableye goes down I wish I had WoW.

MBanette feels like it can do everything, but it can't. And that's really annoying.

It is, however, hilarious to beat people with it.

Edit: also, what's a good speed tier to be at? I'm considering taking off some Attack EVs and putting them into Speed, but I'm not sure how many would be good.

one issue I find with mega Banette is that he's soundly beaten by things with a higher priority speed tier. This includes that @#$6gn bird and Bullet Punch Lucarios amongst other things. Luckily, most key priority users who can hit him with anything other than Mach Punch (which he is immune to anyway) are usually slower, like Azumarill. Not much you can do against Mega Scizor either.

Switching a scizor onto megabanette is like saying HEY BURN MY PHYSICAL THREAT PLEASE. Nobody will ever do that.

I've been using a pretty weird set, but has been really successful at making people rage quit.

Banette @ Banettite
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
Careful Nature
- Magic Coat
- Cotton Guard
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

This set is meant to troll the hell out of physical attackers and force switches.

Magic Coat to any potential taunt users, Cotten Guard puts Mega Banette's defense around 478 after 1 use and over 700 when used again, will o wisp to neuter physical attackers, pain split to heal up. A mega Gyradose only does around 18% when fully set up.

I've been pondering this all night; Is there any useful application for Pursuit on Banette? I would like to hear any and all reasons. I'm developing a mind games team, and I can see potential with it. For those who will say Sucker Punch, at least with pursuit, I guarantee some damage, and in practice, these are both predictive moves. I want to give her some staying power instead of being a one trick pony.

I'm roughly thinking
Adamant/Impish 252att/200def/56sp.def
TAUNT
DESTINY BOND
PHANTOM FORCE
PURSUIT

I just want to see if any glaringly obvious pitfalls stand out.

Pursuit on Banette doesn't tend to work due to it not really something which tends to frighten people into running for their life, with Banette the tendency is to stay in nd test your luck in trying to overcome it. Trying to find a opportunity to MEvolve is honestly more difficult than trying to make a moveset for it.

Been playing around with MBanette, and my god does this mon have the worst 4MSS I have ever seen.

I'm running a set right now that's Adamant/252HP/252 Atk/4 Def (should go to speed tbh to outrun Klefki) with Phantom Force/Taunt/Protect/Destiny Bond.

I used to run Shadow Sneak over Protect, and then I get owned when I Mega Evolve by fast Choice Specs/Band users. Then I ran Protect, and there are times I wished I had Shadow Sneak to KO weakened mons. I ran Shadow Sneak instead of Taunt, and got set up on. I can't take Phantom Force off because it's a really good attack (goes through protect/King's Shield ftw) and does a surprising amount of damage and works well with Prankster DB, but there are times I wished I ran another attack instead like Sucker Punch (to beat Normal types) or Knock off to beat stallers. I partner MBanette with Sableye so I don't miss WoW too much, but when Sableye goes down I wish I had WoW.

MBanette feels like it can do everything, but it can't. And that's really annoying.

It is, however, hilarious to beat people with it.

Edit: also, what's a good speed tier to be at? I'm considering taking off some Attack EVs and putting them into Speed, but I'm not sure how many would be good.
My tendency on offensive variations is to go with 200 Atk EV's on a Atk+ nature, it'll usually be enough to net OHKO's on the more fragile stuff and 2HKO's on some of the more bulky stuff, it's basically the equivalent of anything with base 100 atk w/ +1. I've been mostly toying around lately with some more non-obvious spreads like special offensive CM Banette and defensive spreads but the lack of healing hurts those setups a lot. The only solid conclusion I've been able to make is just to run +4 speed so you outspeed bulky Klefki/M-Scizor's.

The 4MSS it has irritates me to no extent though, offensive variations really like Gunk Shot/Phantom Force/Shadow Sneak as attacks but then only has one move slot for Destiny Bond and nothing else. I've begun to develop a tendency when I don't feel like running Protect to try switch in on slower Pokemon because of it so I can do something while keeping a speed advantage..

Double Ghost setups require immense support to cover the Normal's, Dark isn't so bad since you have the room for an extra support move and a lot of the time Infestation is actually quite potent combined with Phantom Force.

Disable is a really nice number on Banette but it requires some way of taking the attack, Protect whilst overall useful is very limited in Singles, Substitute has issues in the first turn and Banette does not like reducing it's own HP. Banette can actually pull off a pretty dangerous Parafusion set, T-Wave + Confuse Ray is very reliable but you have to ask yourself if you really like leaving things down to chance.

Last edited:
First, I don't understand why people keep saying that "normal Banette" only works as suicide trick room setter.

Banette is a decent Ghost and Psychic revenge killer in NU, despite being outclassed by Skuntank (better typing, speed and movepool). STAB Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch from a 110atk base stat is enough to heavily damage the myriad of Psychic and Ghost types in the tier with a Choice Band (and score some KOs with hazard support). Yes, I know, is bad to be choice locked in Sucker Punch.

Question: Which ability is more viable on Banette, Cursed Body or Insomnia? I don't see a lot of people using the former, but I think it could be pretty useful, at least more so than stopping sleep moves, which don't happen often at all. I already have a Frisk Pokemon on my team by the way, which is why I left that ability out.

Also, with Cursed Body, do only contact moves get disabled? It says that a move can be disabled when it comes into contact with the Pokemon, but I'm unsure if they just mean contact moves or any attacking move at all.

Question: Which ability is more viable on Banette, Cursed Body or Insomnia? I don't see a lot of people using the former, but I think it could be pretty useful, at least more so than stopping sleep moves, which don't happen often at all. I already have a Frisk Pokemon on my team by the way, which is why I left that ability out.

Also, with Cursed Body, do only contact moves get disabled? It says that a move can be disabled when it comes into contact with the Pokemon, but I'm unsure if they just mean contact moves or any attacking move at all.
Both are ok, but I'd rather be able to switch into sleep moves to create opportunities to mevolve, assuming I hadn't already like every single mbanette should.

Mhm. Perhaps I should give more details with the set I'm using?

Adamant
Banettite
252 Atk/Split between HP and Speed
-Destiny Bond
-WoW
-Sucker Punch
-Taunt/Substitute

I tend to switch between the last two, though I have Taunt right now. I guess it's sort of a lead trap? M-Evolve, use WoW if they're physical attackers, SP if you don't think they're setting anything up, and Taunt otherwise. Taunt locks them either into making them vulnerable to SP or switching out, and if they stay in you can burn them and, if they can't be KOed by SP, just wait until you're at a low enough health to be taken out in a turn or two (which isn't long for Banette) and then use DB. I was thinking Insomnia could stop Sleep Powder, but if I'm already stopping it with Taunt, then should I risk a first-turn hit from those moves and just try to increase pressure by disabling STAB moves?

Mhm. Perhaps I should give more details with the set I'm using?

Adamant
Banettite
252 Atk/Split between HP and Speed
-Destiny Bond
-WoW
-Sucker Punch
-Taunt/Substitute

I tend to switch between the last two, though I have Taunt right now. I guess it's sort of a lead trap? M-Evolve, use WoW if they're physical attackers, SP if you don't think they're setting anything up, and Taunt otherwise. Taunt locks them either into making them vulnerable to SP or switching out, and if they stay in you can burn them and, if they can't be KOed by SP, just wait until you're at a low enough health to be taken out in a turn or two (which isn't long for Banette) and then use DB. I was thinking Insomnia could stop Sleep Powder, but if I'm already stopping it with Taunt, then should I risk a first-turn hit from those moves and just try to increase pressure by disabling STAB moves?
Well, since banette never wants to spend any time at all out of its mega form, I'd still recommend insomnia. But I would recommend also switching sucker punch for shadow sneak.

That is a good point! I have an Insomnia and Cursed Body Pokemon both breeding together, so I am probably going to end up training one of both to test them out and see what ends up working in the end.

And why Shadow Sneak? It's STAB, but it still only has 40 BP compared to Sucker Punch's 80, so it doesn't have much of a bonus beyond being more reliable of a priority move.

That is a good point! I have an Insomnia and Cursed Body Pokemon both breeding together, so I am probably going to end up training one of both to test them out and see what ends up working in the end.

And why Shadow Sneak? It's STAB, but it still only has 40 BP compared to Sucker Punch's 80, so it doesn't have much of a bonus beyond being more reliable of a priority move.
60 power vs 80 power, the notable difference being that since, unlike our friend ambush aka sucker punch, it does not require the opponent to attack, so it is a reliable source of direct damage. True, you lose out on dealing impassive/direct damage to normal types, but you can either out stall with WoW + Taunt, or you wouldn't want to stay in on them anyway.

Insomnia gives you the liesure of switching in against most Smeargle leads and taunting them while safely mega-evolving, so there's that.

I tested so many sets because I really wanted mega banette to work, I likee it stats and design and the idea of it, the fact is its just not very good at all. Not OU material. its biggest downside is the turn it mega evolves. If you dont have protect, it usually gets screwed
if you do have protect, it is a precious move wasted on a poke that already has major 4MSS.

I am hopeful this thing can work but my tests have just concluded that he sucks. He needs a def or special def buff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)