Banded Dragonite

Status
Not open for further replies.
This post is kind of a thing to show the true power of a Banded Dragonite, the reason I'm making it is because I haven't seen it at all in ages, and I just tried it on a new OU team and it works wonders.

So many people use the basic Dragon Dance set with Lum Berry and, yes, while it is an extremely effective set that is capable of sweeping teams with the littlest of ease, sometimes you might want a revenge killer, or something to come in on a Choice-locked Pokemon (thanks to Dragonite's array of resistances) and fire off huge powered moves on the switch or maybe a late game sweeper to clean up once all the opponent's Pokemon are weakened. I can guarantee you that a Banded Dragonite is an amazing choice for all of these roles.

91 / 134 / 95 / 100 / 100 / 80

So let's go over a set:

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- ExtremeSpeed
- Earthquake / Superpower

This is the set that I usually use, feel free to make small changes to it if you decide to use it, but this is the one I will be using for this Analysis thing that I'm doing.

So, let's take a look at some of the things that this powerhouse is capable of doing.

Outrage
Outrage is the basic move on any physical Dragon-Type Pokemon. With a Base Power of 120 + STAB coming off an Adamant, Max Attack Choice Banded Pokemon with 134 Base Attack, this will wreck havoc on everything that doesn't resist it. This move doesn't really even need any explanation, so let's just move onto the next move.

Fire Punch
Fire Punch is almost entirely for Ferrothorn, who refuses to even be 3HKOed by Outrage. It OHKOs Ferrothorn 100% of the time (Unless they are running an unlikely Max Defense set, which 100% OHKOs after Stealth Rocks, with a 65% chance to OHKO without Rocks). Fire Punch is also good for the rare Levitate Bronzong, which walls the the rest of this set.

Extremespeed
Extremespeed is what makes Dragonite stand out from other Dragon-Type Pokemon (other than it's ability, which we will get to later), It allows Dragonite to act as 2 roles at the same time; a Revenge Killer and a Late Game Cleaner, it's +2 Priority gives Dragonite the ability to outspeed Ice Shard aswell, which would completely annihilate Dragonite.

Earthquake / Superpower
Either of these moves are for coverage, so you have to choose one depending on which Pokemon(s) hurt your team harder. Earthquake hits the Steel/Psychic and a few other Steel types harder than Fire Punch, whereas Superpower is Dragonite's only move that can touch Air Balloon Heatran, while also hitting Tyranitar and a few others. It all depends on the rest of your team.

Abilities

One of the things that can make or break a Pokemon is it's Ability. Although not as important as it's Base Stats and Movepool, some Pokemon are almost ONLY used because of it's Ability. Take Sharpedo for example. If it didn't have it's Ability, Speed Boost, it would be left with a Mediocre Base 95 Speed which is easily outsped and KOed because of it's extremely frail Defenses. However thanks to Speed Boost, it becomes a deadly sweeper capable of Sweeping the whole of any unprepared team.

With the introduction of Gen 5, Dragonite got arguably one of the best Abilities in the game, Multiscale. What this Ability does is that if the user of Multiscale is at 100% health, all attacks will do 50% damage. This can allow Dragonite to bypass it's speed issue (once) and somewhat absorb an attack from a generally faster Pokemon and then fire off a Powerful move, probably OHKOing the foe. Although this Ability is destroyed by Stealth Rocks, Dragonite still has above average 91/95/100 Defenses, allowing it to take a hit or two and retaliating back with total annihilation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well that's it for this Post, hopefully you learnt a thing or two from this and if you have anything to add then please do! Also sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, I'm new to the forums.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Last edited:
Okay I looked at the rules and I don't think I broke any of them. I've searched for posts about Dragonite and I didn't see any recent ones so...

LilOu

PO poopyhead
As far as I see this is ok @Believin. I can't find any other Dragonite thread, and your OP is quiet good. You're not breaking any rule, so don't worry.

Welcome to Smogon btw.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
You should talk about good teammates and how the set plays -- the moves are self explanatory imo. People want to know beyond the obvious!

This set is hilarious. I lead with it on my sun team because it's ridiculous how many politoeds/tyranitars stay in only to be blasted by a STAB Outrage or Superpower

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
can we turn this into a Dragonite thread rather than a CB Dragonite thread. I get nothing from this OP that I wouldn't get from reading the Dragonite analysis which sorta defeats the purpose of this being a thread tbh.

Inb4 XD5.

At any rate, Choice band Dnite is definitely the superior set, however I would use Superpower over Earthquake everytime simply because it smashes balloon Heatrans which are one of the best switchins to Dnite in general; Dragon Fighting is also unresisted coverage to boot.

Mixed Nite also has credit, but is much more support reliant as stealth rock destroys its longevity.

DDnite lacks that required 4th coverage move, and balloon heatran salivates at switching in on its DD for free. Even Spdef Tran can switchin easy if it runs fire punch / espeed / outrage like on a sun team.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Inb4 XD5.
DDnite lacks that required 4th coverage move, and balloon heatran salivates at switching in on its DD for free. Even Spdef Tran can switchin easy if it runs fire punch / espeed / outrage like on a sun team.
4th move is a pure heatran filler. Between Outrage/Espeed/F-Punch D-Nite Reliably 2HKOes the Entire Metagame (especially after rocks). I cannot recall any other pokemon which would need a 4th move to be dealt with in the entire metagame.
Even then Standard Tran gets hit for 40%+ (I'm being conservative here, min dmg roll) so you're under massive pressure to keep it really healthy (~80%+) to reliably deal with a boosted Dragonite.

So don't even try that angle, DDNite is the premiere physical set-up sweeper in this metagame.

Last edited:
4th move is a pure heatran filler. Between Outrage/Espeed/F-Punch D-Nite Reliably 2HKOes the Entire Metagame (especially after rocks). I cannot recall any other pokemon which would need a 4th move to be dealt with in the entire metagame.
Even then Standard Tran gets hit for 40%+ (I'm being conservative here, min dmg roll) so you're under massive pressure to keep it really healthy (~80%+) to reliably deal with a boosted Dragonite.

So don't even try that angle, DDNite is the premiere physical set-up sweeper in this metagame.
Okay, since were playing that game.

DDnite takes a turn of setup to get anywhere, so the opponent always gets a free switch into their best check/counter to what they might think is a CBnite. Stuff like scarf Lando-t, Skarmory, Jirachi. All are failed to be OHKOed at +1, and are sitting pretty while you click DD. Bandnite on the other hand has the same power as DDnite, while getting that crucial switchin damage.

I laugh everytime some1 brings in a DDnite to try to setup on something like Rotom-W, only for me to VS and break their scale while going to my scarfer. Free turns are something you never want to give with a pokemon that so very much enjoys Multiscale to patch up its godawful speed stat.

Okay, since were playing that game.

DDnite takes a turn of setup to get anywhere, so the opponent always gets a free switch into their best check/counter to what they might think is a CBnite. Stuff like scarf Lando-t, Skarmory, Jirachi. All are failed to be OHKOed at +1, and are sitting pretty while you click DD. Bandnite on the other hand has the same power as DDnite, while getting that crucial switchin damage.

I laugh everytime some1 brings in a DDnite to try to setup on something like Rotom-W, only for me to VS and break their scale while going to my scarfer. Free turns are something you never want to give with a pokemon that so very much enjoys Multiscale to patch up its godawful speed stat.
That's on them if they are not smart enough to eliminate a faster scarfer before setting up with DDnite...really you could say that about ANY sweeper.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OP didn't reply or address my concerns so im locking this. Will unlock if he can convince me otherwise that he understands my concerns and will fix them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)