Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 40 SpA / 44 SpD / 176 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Moonblast
Primarina uses a high bulk in order to avoid problems with other Primarina's energy balls, along with substitute and calm mind to make it extra bulky and harder to break. With its empowered stats from calm mind, it used scald to burn opponents while also dealing high damage. Moonblast weakens opposing Pokemon's special attack stats to increase its ability to survive more attacks and allows it to deal with more threats like Urshifu and dragon types like noivern. Its citrus berry heals it and also provides extra protection after usage of substitute, returning the 25% of hp if brought down to it by substitute. This is to help raters get an idea of what each member of the team does and will help them when trying to suggest changes to improve the team. The reason I chose Primarina is it is high in the ranking and provides use of fairy type and water type moves to my team

Dracozolt @ Life Orb
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Aerial Ace
Dracozolt allows a high variety of type coverage on my team. With Dynamax, it increases i's speed with max airstream, and deals with more major attack threats with max wyrmwind to weaken them. With its strength from hustle and life orb combined, and its powerful moves of outrage and first move powered bolt beak, it is able to obliterate teams. Additionally, in scenarios of missing from hustle, aerial ace allows for a guaranteed hit. It also allows as a good switch against other Dracozolts in the case of bolt strike, and works well switching with Primarina.

Urshifu-Gmax @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
Gigantamax: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Wicked Blow
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
Urshifu helps increase the teams power with its coverage of dark, fighting and steel type moves. Its wicked blow which guarantees a critical hit is able to defeat many Pokemon and helps weaken Dynamax Pokemon to an extent that other team members easily deal with its remainder. Sucker punch also works well to stop opposing Pokemon from getting the first hit due to speed. Choice band highly increases Urshifu's power and makes threats easier to manage with the high power.

Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Substitute
- Quiver Dance
Volcarona serves as a good switch against most physcial Pokemon with flame body causing an unexpected burn. Against Pokemon such as Ferrothorn, it is a great switch as it allows a set for substitute+quiver dance without being stopped. This then allows it to weaken enemy teams with it's high power, speed and special defence allowing it to also survive special hits. Additionally, it allows the team to gain move coverage that helps it a lot against threats like Rhyperior with giga drain, or steel types with fire blast.

Diggersby @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
Diggersby uses its huge power to allow is to be strong enough to beat most enemies. It provides usage of ground, rock and a bug type move which the team highly needed. With choice scarf, it becomes very hard to outspend due to generally good speed naturally and most pokemon in the meta being unable to outspeed it with the scarf. With priority of quick attack it also allows protection from slightly faster Pokemon allowing it to hit with the powerful priority attack. U turn also allows it to escape threatening matchups and also helps defeating dark and psychic types.

Gengar-Gmax @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Clear Smog
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
Gengar uses nasty plot to make itself extremely strong and guarantees it with clear smog in the case there is no link attacks or traps set. Gengar uses clear smog to stop threats with increased speed or attack and then uses its high special attack to take out opponents using sludge wave and shadow ball. It also give the team more type coverage and helps it against trick room setters and fairy types.

Last edited:

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Pretty cool team. First off, note that EVs in Level 50 work slightly differently. I know that's a spread from OU Primarina, but 248 EVs and 244 EVs give the same amount of stats. Defensive Clefable isn't a super common Pokemon there, either.

I recommend 2 spreads for consideration:

Bold 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 Spe
This is a physically defensive spread maximizes its physical bulk because Primarina matches up vs Urshifu and Darmanitan and other physical attackers quite frequently. In a pinch, you could Dynamax and live a CB Wicked Blow + the follow up Max Lightning, while keeping the high speed. The extra defense means that this is a relevant calc even if SR gets set up. The speed notably outspeeds max speed Rhyperior. It's possible to creep up in order to outspeed opposing Primarina - you probably need to take some out of HP and put into Def & Speed in order to not lose the Wicked Blow calc.

Calm 252 HP / 140 Def / 4 SpA / 36 SpD / 76 Spe
This gives you the Special Defense to set up a Substitute vs Amoonguss's Clear Smog barring the 1/16 max roll, beating it if you either get a Calm Mind on a Giga Drain or a Sub on Clear Smog / Spore. 252 HP / 140 Def is the minimum physical defense you need in order to survive 2 CB Wicked Blows with Leftovers activating - but even the slightest chip from SR will ruin this calc. Rest are dumped into Speed, which is still faster than majority of Primarina spreads. I really don't see the point of going all the way up to 172 EVs.

Volcarona I'm not sure is an optimal set in BSS. Being walled by Dracozolt in particular is quite bad, and Toxic access is pretty limited, too. Clefable rarely uses Thunder Wave, so it's mainly just blocking.. Leech Seed from Ferrothorn I guess? But you've got to be mad to stay in with it. Psychic or Hyper Beam are probably good options - I like Hyper Beam Volcarona with CB Urshifu mainly for its ability to neuter airstreamers like Dracozolt with Max Strike Speed drop and have Urshifu finish it off as it is still faster. 4 HP / 28 Def gives you ability to live Dracozolt Airstream at full 15/16 of the time, though obviously you could invest more if you wanted,

252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Dracozolt Max Airstream (110 BP) vs. 4 HP / 28 Def Dynamax Volcarona: 276-325 (85.7 - 100.9%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

In return, +1 Max Strike 2HKOs Dracozolt. Even if you are chipped into its KO range, they need to Dynamax to survive, and if they do they are put in KO range of CB Urshifu

Nasty Plot and Clear Smog on Gengar seems pretty strange. Clear Smog I suppose can definitely be relevant to slow down Airstream users like Dracozolt. But nothing prevents them from just Airstreaming again for the KO, Nasty Plot also can be useful but I see just attacking twice can be just as good. Personally I see Wisp, Dazzling Gleam for Urshifu / Hydreigon OHKO, or even Hypnosis if you're feeling lucky, as better options there - especially Wisp. I believe a lot of Gengar's viability comes from its ability to Wisp physical attackers on its Sash, without playing Sucker Punch mindgames vs Urshifu-SS, or letting Dracozolt Airstream up on the 1 HP Gengar, in combination with its ability to hit the special Fairy-types with its STAB Poison move, so you should remove either (or both) to make room for Wisp.

Finally on Urshifu, Iron Head is still viable but be aware that ThunderPunch is considered the primary coverage because the most common fairy-type in the format is Primarina, not Clefable.

Good luck with your team!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
marilli beat me to it re: EVs. It's pretty common for Smogon players to look at OU etc. spreads and just copy them without realising they're inefficient. Not only were you wasting 4 EVs in a couple stats, the calcs those EVs achieve at level 100 don't work at level 50 due to damage being a little higher so the benchmarks need to be readjusted (not to mention series 6 BSS threats are different to OU's). tl;dr just use a marilli spread.

I'd swap out Sitrus Berry for Leftovers though. Sitrus + Sub is a weird interaction, and Sitrus = 4 turns of leftovers anyway, and CM Prim is often on the field for at least that many as it's used to defeat bulkier Pokemon.

I prefer a fire move on Dracozolt because otherwise Ferrothorn becomes a check instead of a mon you just power through. I know you have a Volcarona but at the moment it's the only option you have to safely dispose of Ferro and you don't want to feel forced into bringing that every single time you see Ferro at team preview. Flamethrower/Fire Blast are options for also getting around miscellaneous Counter users, but Fire Fang is also great.

I'd consider swapping Volcarona for Charizard, which has proven to be a much better fire type in this meta. I've been trying to get Volcarona to work for a while and it just doesn't. There really aren't many Pokemon at all that Volc is comfortable QDing on, and even if it does it often lacks the power to OHKO what's in front of it.

Charizard on the other hand gets STAB Max Airstream, and can Max Flare to activate its Solar Power, giving it immediate power. The caveat being that it usually needs to be the Dynamax user of the match.

Code:
Charizard @ Life Orb / Wacan Berry  / Heavy-Duty Boots / Weakness Policy
Ability: Solar Power / Blaze
Gigantamax: No / Yes 
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe 
Timid Nature 
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower / Blast Burn / Overheat
- Solar Beam 
- Air Slash 
- Dragon Pulse / Scorching Sands
Choosing between Dmax and Gmax is down to whether you want to set sun or wildfire, choose the ability that goes with the one you choose.

If you want to go with Life Orb Charizard then I'd use Weakness Policy on Dracozolt, which makes Earthquake a more viable option for the SpD boost while dynamaxed, allowing WP procs in some situations easier.

Diggersby and Gengar look fine, although I'm personally not a fan of Diggersby's Scarf set or Gengar in general. I think marilli is right about Gengar in that it should be using more supportive/disruptive moves, rather than trying to sweep with Nasty Plot. Things like Wisp, Icy Wind, or even Scary Face are really valuable in setting up your team's win conditions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)