Balance of Power - An OU Warstory

Introduction:
It was as normal a Friday night as any other. I had settled in front of the TV with my dinner, watching the two bottom ranked teams in the Indian Premier League duke it out. Suddenly, I felt like testing out a T'Wave team with Jirachi. Within half an hour, I was on PO with my team, which I noticed was doing pretty well.

The battle window pops up. Me and my opponent exchange gl's, and the match begins!

Notes:
Team Preview was present.

My comments will be in bold green.
Health of each Pokemon will be displayed at the end of the turn
in bold black.
Score will be displayed in bold, large red whenever
a Pokemon faints.

Teams: (In no particular order)

Calm Pokemaster:

FrostFire:

Battle between FrostFire and Calm Pokemaster started!

Tier: BW OU
Variation: +19, -12
Rule: Rated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Rule: Wifi Battle

Calm Pokemaster sent out Thundurus!
FrostFire sent out Landorus!

Thundurus: 100%
Landorus: 100%

My opponent leads with a Landorus, an interesting choice by itself. I curse myself for not noting down his other Pokemon, but I couldn't be fussed to do so as it was just a normal ladder match. Now I doubt that he will be staying in, Thundurus leads normally carry Hidden Power Ice. I hope that he is not running a Focus Sash variant. Let's see which genie wins the round!

Start of turn 1
The foe's Landorus used Stone Edge!
It's super effective!
Thundurus lost 298 HP! (100% of its health)
Thundurus fainted!
FrostFire leads 6 - 5.

Calm Pokemaster sent out Jirachi!

Much, much worse. My opponent has made excellent use of Team Preview to lead with Scarf Landorus, and seizes the early advantage by scoring a decisive blow, knocking out cold my Thundurus before I can even attack. I am now without my best chance of stopping entry hazards going up, and a key special attacker on my physically-inclined team. The battle has started off on a negative note for me, and I hope that these are not ominous signs of the wrong result.

I realise that I need to act quickly and even things up before mounting an offense. However, the first turn has given me the crucial piece of information that Landorus is wielding a Scarf and locked into Stone Edge. I grab the oppurtunity and switch in my Jirachi to put pressure on the opponent and force him to switch, revealing more of his team.

My Jirachi is a physical attacker running Thunder Wave, Zen Headbutt, Iron Head, and Fire Punch, the latter for pesky Steel-types such as Ferrothorn and Scizor. I decide to fire off a Thunder Wave to cripple whatever switches in. From my quick, cursory glance of his team before the battle started, I do not recall seeing a LightningRod / Motor Drive user, so I am sure that Thunder Wave will cripple whatever switches in.

Thundurus: 0%

Jirachi: 100%

Start of turn 2
FrostFire called Landorus back!
FrostFire sent out Suicune!

The foe's Suicune is exerting its Pressure!
Jirachi used Thunder Wave!
The foe's Suicune is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!

I taste success, as Suicune gets crippled by Thunder Wave. From how readily Suicune came in, I am quite sure that this is a bulky RestTalk variant with Calm Mind and Surf or Scald. He might have switched in Suicune assuming that I am running a special set with T'Wave. Iron Head doesn't scratch Suicune either, so I think my opponent must be sitting pretty hoping to set up with Calm Mind and rest off the pitiful damage and status. I decide to spring a nasty surprise - Zen Headbutt.

Suicune: 100%

Start of turn 3
Jirachi used Zen Headbutt!
A critical hit!
The foe's Suicune lost 46% of its health!

The foe's Suicune used Scald!
Jirachi lost 81 HP! (23% of its health)

Jirachi restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
The foe's Suicune restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Suicune's fantastic bulk means that it won't even be 2HKOed by a critical hit STAB Zen Headbutt. A pretty unnecessary critical hit, as I had anyway planned on wearing Suicune down with flinch and paralysis. However, Suicune neither flinches nor gets paralyzed, and hits Jirachi with Scald. A creditable performance, as Suicune had a mere 30% chance to attack. Fortunately, Scald does not burn, as otherwise it would have rendered Jirachi nearly useless. Considering the fact that Suicune only had ~10% chance of attacking and burning Jirachi, I had little to worry, but hax can change a match in an instant.

Enough of my rambling. I decide to wear down his Suicune to Zen Headbutt's KO range, which will cause him to switch. I hope that I am luckier in the following turns.

Jirachi
: 83%
Suicune: 60%

Start of turn 4
The foe's Suicune lost 20% of its health!

The foe's Suicune flinched!

Suicune flinches this time, which is good. If I can flinch it again (which is most probable), I can put some pressure on FrostFire. If not, I guess it will Rest off the damage. In that case, I will switch to Reuniclus and set up Calm Mind along with Suicune.

Jirachi: 89%
Suicune: 46%

Start of turn 5
The foe's Suicune lost 22% of its health!

The foe's Suicune flinched!

Things go off as planned, yippie!. I have now evened things out, and am back in this match. FrostFire doesn't whine about Zen Headbutt flinching him twice, but to be honest, Suicune only had a 30% chance to attack each time. Even if it had attacked once, Scald only had a 30% chance to burn. If it had tried to RestTalk and set up Calm Mind, I would have started a Calm Mind war with Reuniclus and stalled out Scald with Recover.

Enough of that. Suicune will most likely switch out, as one more flinch means it will be fit only for a funeral. However, I am not going to risk throwing out Thunder Wave again to catch the switch-in off-guard. My opponent might outpredict me, stay in, and use Scald. Now I dare not risk a burn which will erase all momentum I might have gained, so I decide to use Zen Headbutt. Iron Head might not KO Suicune thanks to its bulk and resistance to Steel-type attacks, so Zen Headbutt is the chosen move.

Jirachi: 95%
Suicune: 30%

Start of turn 6
FrostFire called Suicune back!
FrostFire sent out Reuniclus!

It's not very effective...
The foe's Reuniclus lost 12% of its health!

The foe's Reuniclus restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

My opponent does switch, showing me that he intends to heal back Suicune's health later on, or at worst for him, sac it for a free switch-in. I now have 2 options on my hands.

(1)I could use Iron Head and try to flinch Reuniclus, gaining back some health for free if it flinches. In case my opponent switches again, it will hit the switch-in hard unless it is a Steel-type such as Skarmory or Ferrothorn.

(2)On the other hand, I could try and cripple Reuniclus with Thunder Wave. This will work out very well in the long run, as if Jirachi is around and Reuniclus starts setting up, I can check it with ease.

After thinking for a while, I realise that my opponent will likely switch. He has no chance of setting up Calm Mind while Jirachi is around threatening to spam Iron Head and flinch him to death. Thunder Wave will also allow me to cripple another member of his team. So Thunder Wave it is.

Reuniclus: 94%

Start of turn 7
FrostFire called Reuniclus back!

But it failed!

My opponent predicts correctly, and brings in Landorus for free. Landorus using Earthquake is glaringly obvious, as he badly wants Jirachi gone so that Reuniclus can set up in peace. I have two handy resists to Earthquake - Scarf Latios and Taunt DD Gyarados. I once again have two options:

(1)I could switch to Gyarados on the Earthquake, set up Dragon Dance, and attempt to sweep, Taunting any attempts to phaze me on the way. However, if he predicts correctly and uses Stone Edge, I will be in trouble. Even after Intimidate, Gyarados will be weakened sufficiently by Stone Edge and unable to set up.

(2)I could switch in Latios. Latios can switch into Earthquake unharmed and won't be smacked too hard by a neutral Stone Edge. I think that he will go with Earthquake, since as mentioned he badly needs Jirachi gone to open up a Reuniclus sweep. If Latios can get in for free, I will gain the upper hand. Since I run a TrickScarf variant, I can potentially cripple the switch-in with Trick.

Switching in Latios seems the safer of the two. The threat of getting KOed by Surf or Draco Meteor means that FrostFire will definitely switch Landorus out, giving me the chance to get more information about his team. I decide to do the same.

Start of turn 8
Calm Pokemaster called Jirachi back!
Calm Pokemaster sent out Latios!

The foe's Landorus used Earthquake!
It had no effect!

Phew good. Latios doesn't mind the earth cracking up far below it, and stares with glee at the genie confronting it. The following turn will be a very crucial turn, as it will tell me who receives the Choice Scarf that Latios now badly wishes to part with.

Fact is, FrostFire is certainly going to switch to a wall to absorb Draco Meteor or sac Suicune. I don't think he will do the latter, since he might need Suicune later on for a free switch-in. Wasting Suicune's dead weight just to get back in and make me switch to another teammate to escape Landorus's attack will be pretty stupid. I hope I have predicted correctly, press the pink button titled "Trick," and wait with bated breath.

Latios: 100%

Start of turn 9
FrostFire called Landorus back!
FrostFire sent out Blissey!

Latios used Trick!
Latios switched items with the foe's Blissey!
Latios obtained one Leftovers!
The foe's Blissey obtained one Choice Scarf!

BINGO, Got you there *fistpumps*. I was spot-on with my predictions, as my opponent goes for the lure hook, line, and sinker, falling right into my trap. FrostFire figures that I would desperately want his Landorus out of the picture, and decides to absorb the predicted, incoming Draco Meteor with his pink fluffball of a Blissey, instead losing his special sponge to an ingenious trick, as Latios happily exchanges his ugly blue scarf for the apple core that Blissey is hanging on to with all her pink fluff. My well-executed plan gives me the upper hand after nearly 10 turns of switching and wearing down.

Now that Blissey is crippled, I scout with Surf to see what move Blissey picks. I don't mind a Thunder Wave, since my own Blissey can happily remove the status later on with Aromatherapy. I am quite sure that Blissey will blindly start to spam Seismic Toss, and await his decision. FrostFire takes some time to think and consider his move, which gives me the time to speculate more on my path to victory.

Latios: 100%
Blissey: 100%

Start of turn 10
Latios used Surf!
The foe's Blissey lost 13% of its health!

The foe's Blissey used Seismic Toss!
Latios lost 100 HP! (33% of its health)

Latios restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

As predicted, Blissey decides to go with Seismic Toss. I realise that this is a golden oppurtunity to set up one or two Calm Minds with Reuniclus. This will lure out his own Reuniclus or his dedicated Reuniclus counter.

Latios: 73%
Blissey: 87%

Start of turn 11
Calm Pokemaster called Latios back!
Calm Pokemaster sent out Reuniclus!

Reuniclus lost 100 HP! (23% of its health)

Reuniclus restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Reuniclus gets in safely. The HP lost can easily be healed back later on with Recover. I run a physically bulky set with 252 / 248 and Bold to take physical attacks better. I also run 8 Speed EVs for, what else, Speed creeping other Reuniclus who try to set up along with me. All right, time to start boosting with Calm Mind.

Reuniclus: 83%

Start of turn 12
FrostFire called Blissey back!
FrostFire sent out Scizor!

Reuniclus used Calm Mind!
Reuniclus's Sp. Att. rose!
Reuniclus's Sp. Def. rose!

Reuniclus restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

My hopes of Reuniclus sweeping, for the moment, crash into a cliff and fall into the sea. However, this gives me the chance I have been looking for quite some time - setting up Dragon Dance with Gyarados. Intimidate and the resistance means that Gyarados won't get so much as pricked by Bug Bite / U-Turn. Even if Scizor packs Pursuit and a Choice Band, it won't KO my Reuniclus who is running max / max Bold. So Gyarados, I choose you!

Reuniclus: 89%
Scizor: 100%

Start of turn 13
Calm Pokemaster called Reuniclus back!
Calm Pokemaster sent out Gyarados!

Gyarados intimidates the foe's Scizor!
The foe's Scizor's Attack fell!
The foe's Scizor used Bug Bite!
Gyarados lost 87 HP! (26% of its health)
The foe's Scizor is hurt by its Life Orb!

Gyarados restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Excellent. No Pursuit, and Gyarados gets in safely. I can now start to dictate terms to the opponent and strengthen my iron grip on the match. Along with Leftovers recovery, Gyarados takes barely 20% from Bug Bite, meaning I can comfortably set up a Dragon Dance or two. The turn also gives me something to ponder:

(1)Life Orb recoil shows that his Scizor is running a Swords Dance set. It could either be a bulky one, or the more offensive one. This bit of information might be useful later on.

(2)I am 100% sure that Landorus is not coming in. Though FrostFire would have saw my Lefties recovery, he won't know for sure that this is a bulky DD set. It could even be a RestTalk set with Waterfall and Dragon Tail. Plus, there is always the threat of STAB Waterfall decimating Landorus if it switches in.

With these two points in mind, I start setting up Dragon Dance. If I can get two, I will massively increase my chances of scoring the win.

Gyarados: 80%
Scizor: 90%

Start of turn 14
FrostFire called Scizor back!
FrostFire sent out Skarmory!

Gyarados used Dragon Dance!
Gyarados's Attack rose!
Gyarados's Speed rose!

Though I certainly expected a wall to come in, I am absolutely delighted to see Skarmory. Gyarados can smash Skarmory's hopes of phazing it out with Taunt. Brave Bird will certainly sting, but Leftovers will rule out a 2HKO.

However, FrostFire doesn't know that I pack Taunt, and I am sure that he will attempt to phaze me. This turn will be very crucial - if I can Taunt him and he doesn't use Brave Bird, FrostFire will be facing the daunting prospect of preventing Gyarados at +2 Spe and Atk from ravaging his team.

Gyarados: 86%
Skarmory: 100%

Start of turn 15
Gyarados used Taunt!
The foe's Skarmory fell for the taunt!

The foe's Skarmory can't use Whirlwind after the taunt!

Success! This means that now I can freely set up a crucial second Dragon Dance. I don't care what he swiches to; Gyarados will most likely outspeed and KO it. Dance like a dragon, lets dance!

Gyarados: 92%

Start of turn 16
FrostFire called Skarmory back!
FrostFire sent out Suicune!

The foe's Suicune is exerting its Pressure!
Gyarados's Attack rose!
Gyarados's Speed rose!

FrostFire decides to sac his Suicune. Setting up a third Dragon Dance would be senseless, as if Scald burns me, it will send all my hard work down the drain. Return will handily knock out his Suicune at +2.

Gyarados: 98%
Suicune: 36%

Start of turn 17
Gyarados used Return!
The foe's Suicune lost 36% of its health!
The foe's Suicune fainted!
Tied 5 - 5

Suicune goes down as expected. FrostFire tries a last ditch effort to down my Gyarados with Stone Edge, since Scarf Landorus can outspeed +2 standard bulky DD Tauntarados which doesn't run too many Speed EVs. Once again, though, I have a nasty surprise for him - I run 252 Speed EVs, meaning I outspeed his Landorus handily and KO with Waterfall.

Gyarados:100%
Suicune: 0%

Start of turn 18
Gyarados used Waterfall!
It's super effective!
The foe's Landorus lost 100% of its health!
The foe's Landorus fainted!
Calm Pokemaster leads 5-4
FrostFire sent out Reuniclus!

I imagine my opponent sitting in front of his PC, looking as though someone hit him with a sledgehammer. Gyarados deals a crushing blow and knocks his Landorus out of the sky with a towering Waterfall. I take the lead for the first time, FrostFire is now staring at defeat, and barring a crit or silly misplay by me, I know that the game is in the bag.

Gyarados: 100%
Landorus: 0%
Reuniclus: 94%

Start of turn 19
Gyarados used Waterfall!
The foe's Reuniclus lost 68% of its health!

The foe's Reuniclus used Calm Mind!
The foe's Reuniclus's Sp. Att. rose!
The foe's Reuniclus's Sp. Def. rose!

The foe's Reuniclus restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Foolishly, vainly, Reuniclus attempts to set up with Calm Mind instead of trying to bring Gyarados into Brave Bird's KO range with Psychic. I assume that my opponent himself didn't consider the fact that Reuniclus would survive +2 Waterfall, a folly on his part. This further tightens the nail on his coffin, while I am amongst the clouds.

Reuniclus: 32%

Start of turn 20
Gyarados used Waterfall!
The foe's Reuniclus lost 32% of its health!
The foe's Reuniclus fainted!
Calm Pokemaster leads 5-3

FrostFire sent out Skarmory!

I finish off the few remaining cells of Reuniclus, as my opponent gears up for one last, all-out attack to down Gyarados. I choose to go with Taunt instead of grabbing another DD boost. If he predicts that I will try and use DD once again, all my hard work will go down the drain. My Gyarados sweep will be cut short, and FrostFire will be able to put his foot back in the door that I am desperately trying to close on him.

Lefties recovery will blank out the chances of Brave Bird 2HKOing Gyarados, so even if Skarmory uses Brave Bird this turn, I can wear it down with Waterfall or set up one more Dragon Dance.

Reuniclus: 0%

Start of turn 21
Gyarados used Taunt!
The foe's Skarmory fell for the taunt!

The foe's Skarmory used Brave Bird!
Gyarados lost 154 HP! (46% of its health)
The foe's Skarmory is hit with recoil!

The foe's Skarmory restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Gyarados: 60%
Skarmory: 91%

Dang, he went for the Brave Bird, but I am not fussed. All the time, I am strengthening my hold on this match, and barring a nasty critical hit, the path to victory is clear - outright KO Skarmory, or atleast wear it down to Jirachi's Fire Punch's KO range; finish off Scizor; take down Blissey with T'Wave + Iron Head.

I decide to Dance one more time, as I am pretty sure that the Brave Bird recoil and +3 Waterfall will down Skarmory. Brave Bird won't KO Gyarados barring a crit, either.

Start of turn 22
Gyarados's Attack rose!
Gyarados's Speed rose!

Gyarados lost 147 HP! (44% of its health)

Gyarados: 22%

Skarmory: 81%

Gyarados takes the second Brave Bird like a champ, and is all set to douse Skarmory in a ferocious Waterfall. I am sure that it will KO Skarmory, and decisively end this game.

Start of turn 23
Gyarados used Waterfall!
The foe's Skarmory lost 68% of its health!

Gyarados lost 71 HP! (22% of its health)
Gyarados fainted!
Calm Pokemaster leads 4-3

The foe's Skarmory's taunt ended!
Calm Pokemaster sent out Jirachi!

Oh snap. Skarmory takes the blow like a champ, and knocks Gyarados out with Brave Bird. A quick calc confirms my deduction that Skarmory is running 252 HP / 252 Def Impish, why explains why it managed to take +3 Waterfall. I can't be complacent of a victory - a few foolish turns and FrostFire's Scizor could set up Swords Dance and attempt a sweep.

I am digressing from the main point. Jirachi will now KO Skarmory with Fire Punch, and I will almost be at the finish line. I just need to keep a level head, and this match will be mine.

Gyarados: 0%
Skarmory: 12%

Start of turn 24
Jirachi used Fire Punch!
It's super effective!
The foe's Skarmory lost 12% of its health!
The foe's Skarmory fainted!
Calm Pokemaster leads 4-2

The metal bird indeed falls to a fiery punch, and lands with a dull thread. Blissey replaces it, shuddering in terror at the prospect of being flinch-haxed to death. Before starting to spam Iron Head, I decide to paralyze Blissey first with Thunder Wave.

Skarmory: 0%

Start of turn 25
The foe's Blissey is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!

The foe's Blissey is paralyzed! It can't move!

Start of turn 26
Jirachi used Iron Head!
The foe's Blissey lost 34% of its health!

Jirachi lost 100 HP! (29% of its health)

Things go as planned, with the hax gods leaning slightly to my side by giving Blissey full paralysis. However, that bit of parahax won't affect the game in any way, since Jirachi will only get 5HKOed by Seismic Toss, while Iron Head will 3HKO and will certainly flinch Blissey atleast once - meaning Jirachi will have enough HP to take Bullet Punch from Scizor and KO it with Fire Punch.

Enough of that. I decide to continue spamming Iron Head till FrostFree switches.

Jirachi: 77%
Blissey: 53%

Start of turn 27
FrostFire called Blissey back!
FrostFire sent out Scizor!

Jirachi used Iron Head!

The foe's Scizor lost 25% of its health!

FrostFire's last, tiniest chance of attempting a Scizor sweep vanishes in smoke, as he admits defeat and brings in Scizor. Fire Punch will maul the metal mantis, and I am just turns away from victory.

Jirachi: 83%
Scizor: 65%

Start of turn 28
Jirachi used Fire Punch!
It's super effective!
The foe's Scizor lost 65% of its health!
The foe's Scizor fainted!
Calm Pokemaster leads 4-1

Scizor gets scorched by a fiery punch, and Blissey is now all alone. Natural Cure has healed the pink blob of its paralysis, so I decide to paralyze it again with Thunder Wave.

Jirachi: 89%
Scizor: 0%

Start of turn 29
The foe's Blissey is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!

Jirachi lost 100 HP! (29% of its health)

Jirachi: 66%

Blissey delays the inevitable by tossing Jirachi around a bit, but I don't mind. Iron Head will seal the deal in 2 turns, regardless of whether it flinches or not.

Start of turn 30
Jirachi used Iron Head!
The foe's Blissey lost 33% of its health!

The foe's Blissey flinched!

Jirachi: 72%
Blissey: 20%

I feel elated, as I approach the last turn of this battle, which has been exciting and entertaining. I click the gray button titled "Iron Head" one last time, and wait.

Start of turn 31
Jirachi used Iron Head!
The foe's Blissey lost 20% of its health!
The foe's Blissey fainted!

Calm Pokemaster won the battle!

And that wraps up things. I score a comprehensive victory, and me and my opponent exchange gg's. Though the end result might make the match appear one sided, it is misleading, as the entire match hinged on a few crucial turns. One switch, one misprediction - they can change matches. Now on to the post-match ceremonies props, slops, and MVP of the match.

Props:
(1)Good prediction on my part.

(2)FrostFire putting up a brave fight till the end and using the Team Preview to his advantage

(3)The hax gods being busy elsewhere and not bothering me and FrostFire much. Except for Zen Headbutt flinching Suicune twice, but T'Wave + Zen Headbutt Jirachi is a pretty underrated, but dangerous, threat.

Slops:
(1)Me messing up with Thundurus.

(2)Me Dragon Dancing on Skarmory instead of hitting it twice with Waterfall and KOing it.

(3)FrostFire setting up Calm Mind with his Reuniclus instead of weakening Gyarados with Psychic. It *might* have mattered in the end.

And now, the MVP. There is little doubt, but still:

Jirachi was the star of the show. Wearing down the opponent with T'Wave and its STAB moves, luring in Landorus and causing the opponent's Blissey to be crippled, and finishing thinds off in the end, Jirachi played a pivotal role in my victory.

The first half was very interesting, but your certainty that Gyarados would sweep his team was a little off-putting. No one wants to see a clean-sweep, and when they see one starting they lose interest, especially if there isn't a twist somewhere in the sweep.

The commentary was very good for most of the battle; I appreciated seeing the intelligence behind your moves. The format was good in everything except the visuals, which were... nonexistent. If you're having trouble finding sprites, just ask someone on the simple questions thread for a source.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't read that you would be adding sprites later.

Yep, as Ashenlock said, I thought you would sweep his entire team with Gyarados. I would've stopped reading if his Skarmory (which isn't a Specially Defensive version) hadn't KOed your sweeper, and even then you easily finished the battle with Jirachi. But that sweep was perfectly planned. Excellent comments, especially at the beginning; I know you haven't put the sprites yet.
I'm looking forward to seeing your next warstory!

8/10

EDIT: I've noticed that sprites are back. And now detailed marks:
Format: 10/10
Battle: 7/10 (IMO closer to 6.5 than 7)
Commentary: 9/10

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This was a good read but I still think the battle itself was poor. Your opponent misplayed and idk that crit and double flinch on Suicune seemed important as Sucune was otherwise blocking your Gyarados from sweeping. Also no matter how you try and suger coat it, its a battle with Gyarados basically sweeping a team which is kinda....boring? Maybe im being a bit harsh but was was really a Gyarados sweeping a team which kinda turned me off.

I almost didn't read it because of your grammatical error in the title.....

Decent match though; Six out of Ten.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I tend to agree that the battle itself wasn't really exciting for a warstory. However, the insight you gave into your thought process during the match made it entertaining to read, and somewhat made up for the relatively poor content.

You say the Skarmory must have been Bold, when in fact it must have been Impish. Minor detail you might want to fix.

Decent warstory, but nothing special. 6/10.

Skarmory couldn't have been OHKO'd, simply because sturdy would've activated at 100% HP, just a small nitpick. Overll, nice commentary and planning put forth, but lacked a little...pizazz, I should say. 7/10

Since you said Team Preview was active, you should have posted both teams at the beginning. Sprites would have been nice, too. Still, it was a fairly good read with some nice comments, though there were a couple of misplays on both ends.

8/10
Battle was fairly good and you planned your sweep right especially using Jirachi God of Hax. But nobody wants to read a clean sweep except for me, and Skarmory usually run Sturdy to prevent rare OHKOes: it's better than Keen Eye. But good battle.

Gyarados swept. Your opponent didn't have (or at least didn't use) an electric attack, which leads me to believe it would be a major error on his part when team building (I wonder how he deals with Rain teams/bulky waters at all, Blissey notwithstanding).

Still, I read all the way to the end, even without sprites, so the commentary must've been good. Aside from that, you just need a closer battle...

7/10

Bump. Added team pictures and sprites for each turn. Also added calcs for Skarmory's health in the middle after working it out with a calculator. Thanks for all the positive comments, people!

I think its a nice write up, good read and format but I dont really see why everyone is saying "great battle" when it was really one sided in my opinion after the first turn. It wasnt even close, you only lost two pokes and one was on the first turn to a huge misplay so yeah..
Nice read though : )

Great commentary all the way through. Really liked the showing of the thought process.

Battle was mostly one sided. The Gyara sweep was near clean, aside from the Skarmory speed bump (or more like a crash and burn). Thus it isn't as exciting of a war story.

Overall though, I enjoyed it. Fun read.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
good format and commentary, but sweeping half a team with gyarados is something i don't really want to see. you should definitely try again with a better battle though!

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Nice comments. I think this battle encapsulates the average ladder battle rather well, but I think you could've picked a better one. It is generally good to pick a battle where you did pay attention to team preview, since it is very hard to know how much you remembered.

Anyway, Zen Headbutt, with Serence Grace, only has a 40% flinch chance, so Suicune had a much higher chance to move than you thought (you were, in fact, rather lucky - it had a 45% chance to move).

Fantastic formatting and commentary. The battle could've been better but I still really enjoyed it, great work!

9/10

FrostFire was actually me. Sorry I did poorly, I was one of the first days I was on PO and I was (am) still learning the ropes. There was a lot of hax, but that is part of the game. A good game nonetheless.

Decent warstory for the most part 6/10. the Gyara sweep was a little off putting and i was expecting a comeback from your opponent somehow to make it a little more interesting but oh well not bad.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
Anyway, Zen Headbutt, with Serence Grace, only has a 40% flinch chance, so Suicune had a much higher chance to move than you thought (you were, in fact, rather lucky - it had a 45% chance to move).
This. I immediately noticed this error in your judgement early on - Zen Headbutt's 40% flinch is a far cry from Iron Head's 60%, and there's a big difference between a 30% and 48% chance (factoring in Zen Heabutt's 90% accuracy) for Suicune to move and potentially ruin Jirachi with Scald (14.4% chance each turn) or Rest. It really turned me off that you assumed to be safe in this situation; it just so happened that the crit+flinch hax went your way this time. As others have noted, Suicune could have also been a big problem for your Gyara sweep.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
My favorite was when you went for the third DD instead of the 2hko. Every turn you use DD you get less and less extra attack power, and you could have pissed on his entire team at +2+2 had you not gotten greedy against Skarmory.

EDIT: Stopped reading halfway through, didn't notice you mentioned this in Slops.

Uh. You pm dominated the whole match aside from the start, so it wasn't very interesting. I liked the commentary though. Maybe you can try warstorying better matches next time?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)