Averagemons - See new thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

perplexingpool

Banned deucer.
I run Clefable as my Unaware mon. Great typing, reliable recovery, and great support options like Thunder Wave, Aromatherapy, Wish, and Stealth Rock make it an solid stop to boosting sweepers and a fantastic support mon.

I run Clefable as my Unaware mon. Great typing, reliable recovery, and great support options like Thunder Wave, Aromatherapy, Wish, and Stealth Rock make it an solid stop to boosting sweepers and a fantastic support mon.
I use a Toxic Stall version, but since I already run Toxic Spikes I could change Toxic for a move with more utility, like Aromatherapy or even peebles. Moonblast is surprisingly good taking down the setup mons, even Lucario takes a lot from it.

Oh, with your clefable, you may want to consider running flame/poison orb magic guard, in order to grant you a status immunity. This is given even more utility if you run it with aromatherapy, as it allows you to switch safely into status abusers that may have previously crippled your team.

Oh, with your clefable, you may want to consider running flame/poison orb magic guard, in order to grant you a status immunity. This is given even more utility if you run it with aromatherapy, as it allows you to switch safely into status abusers that may have previously crippled your team.
I already have a status absorber, I'm talking about the Unaware variant.

Okay, clefable excels at everything, though. In the (very preliminary) threat list that was posted earlier, it's considered one of the top threats, along with furfrou and sableye.

upper is intimidate+flame charge, lower is intimidate+ Pup.

example:

Scrafty @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Crunch
- Drain Punch
- Power-Up Punch
- Iron Head

Just theorymon, didn't test yet (mostly because i can't come up with any other sets)

EDIT: he doesn't work that well

Last edited:
I do too. It's definitely my MVP. I find that max speed/hp timid unaware Clefable is able to outstall the vast majority of the metagame, and makes boosters fair less threatening.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm shocked that nobody mentioned Nidoking yet. Personally, it was the first Pokemon that came to my mind.

It's completely amazing. You can never predict which of Earth Power, Sludge Wave, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Fire blast or Focus Blast he'll have. He literally chooses his counters.
Think of it less as 4MSS and more as being extremely hard to predict.

You can also choose whether to make it into a Life Orb wallbreaker or a powerful Scarfer.

There is pretty much no excuse not to not use this thing.

(Or Nidoqueen, which is exactly the same Pokemon)

Edit : It just occured to me that Talonflame might be pretty great, too.

Last edited:
I'm shocked that nobody mentioned Nidoking yet. Personally, it was the first Pokemon that came to my mind.

It's completely amazing. You can never predict which of Earth Power, Sludge Wave, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Fire blast or Focus Blast he'll have. He literally chooses his counters.
Think of it less as 4MSS and more as being extremely hard to predict.

You can also choose whether to make it into a Life Orb wallbreaker or a powerful Scarfer.

There is pretty much no excuse not to not use this thing.

(Or Nidoqueen, which is exactly the same Pokemon)

Edit : It just occured to me that Talonflame might be pretty great, too.
Nidoking is very good. Talonflame is very lacking. Yeah, it has that amazing priority, but it needs to setup as any other mon to have a chance. Not to mention that Rock types still wall it and much better than before. Add Toxic Sableye to that list too.

I saw people mention fearow and chatot earlier, also exploud. But what if we take what exploud has and combine fearow with exploud? We get swellow. Its got scrappy, its got boomburst and its got roost. Its got all the components of the puzzle. This thing is very scary.

Albacore

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I saw people mention fearow and chatot earlier, also exploud. But what if we take what exploud has and combine fearow with exploud? We get swellow. Its got scrappy, its got boomburst and its got roost. Its got all the components of the puzzle. This thing is very scary.
Swellow got Boomburst? I did not know that.
Still, I honestly think that Swellow is better off going for the Guts-boosted Facade.

The page before this, I mentioned the same thing.

Does anyone find themselves preying on people's habits a bit with the 100/100/100 defenses? I've found running SpD Skarm really useful, cos so many people seem to just assume it'd be designed for taking physical ones.

Also... ...good counter for Icicle Spear Cloyster, nearly got swept by one before I managed to Toxic stall it (it won all the speed ties but one, but I still can't think what I could have safely switched in to handle it).

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
Unaware Quaggy. Only takes neutral damage and can just shrug it off. But yeah, it can demolish.

With all of the faries, I've found myself running like 3 Poison moves and two steel moves. Hey, it works.

I'm running Unaware Quag already. He took over a third from an unboosted Cloyster. I did not like how he took that neutral hit on the switch, and wasn't sure he could KO back in enough time.

Albacore

Does anyone find themselves preying on people's habits a bit with the 100/100/100 defenses? I've found running SpD Skarm really useful, cos so many people seem to just assume it'd be designed for taking physical ones.
I use Specially Defensive Gliscor. It's been working wonders for me, mainly because Gliscor's typing enables it to shrug off most physical attacks anyway.

I also run Cloyster. I love how it can sweep without even needing speed investement. Just give it an adamant nature with max HP and max Attack.

perplexingpool

Banned deucer.
Talonflame is very lacking.
talonflameislacking.jpg

Talonflame is by far one of the best Pokemon in the meta. It's one of the only solid stops to Sableye, with a choice band can get a priority 2HKO on offensive Pokemon that don't resist it, revenge kills things like no other, and the Swords Dance set is amongst the best sweepers in the tier - at +2 with a Sharp Beak, Talonflame gets a guaranteed OHKO on neutral 252/0's with Brave Bird. Priority OHKO's are no joke.

+2 252+ Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 430-507 (106.4 - 125.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Recoil isn't an issue for it either, you can just Roost it off. 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Speed Adamant is imo the best spread for SD Talon, it doesn't need speed that much due to Gale WIngs. The bulk investment gives it an easier time setting up, and trying to roosting off damage later in the game is not suicidal. It is walled by rock-types, and unaware mons, but this is a meta where multiple trappers are very viable.

View attachment 6778
Talonflame is by far one of the best Pokemon in the meta. It's one of the only solid stops to Sableye, with a choice band can get a priority 2HKO on offensive Pokemon that don't resist it, revenge kills things like no other, and the Swords Dance set is amongst the best sweepers in the tier - at +2 with a Sharp Beak, Talonflame gets a guaranteed OHKO on neutral 252/0's with Brave Bird. Priority OHKO's are no joke.

+2 252+ Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 430-507 (106.4 - 125.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Recoil isn't an issue for it either, you can just Roost it off. 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Speed Adamant is imo the best spread for SD Talon, it doesn't need speed that much due to Gale WIngs. The bulk investment gives it an easier time setting up, and trying to roosting off damage later in the game is not suicidal. It is walled by rock-types, and unaware mons, but this is a meta where multiple trappers are very viable.
Well, I guess I shouldn't judge it by how people is using it. But with so many Thunder Waves, Glares, Encores by Prankster users or support mons it has a hard time switching in. Still, I'll give it a try.

Klefki @ Salac Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Dazzling Gleam
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
The new kleki set for this new meta :D

perplexingpool

Banned deucer.
Klefki @ Salac Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Dazzling Gleam
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
The new kleki set for this new meta :D
Might want to replace Flash Cannon with a better coverage move; I would use Hidden Power Ground, it gets great coverage alongside Dazzling Gleam.

Vryheid

fudge jelly
It's one of the only solid stops to Sableye
it actually loses quite handily to sableye, who taunts it and then spams recover as it kills itself with brave bird/flare blitz. not saying talonflame is unusable but it's fairly easy to stop, hates trick/toxic, and still has that nasty SR weakness to deal with

as far as I'm concerned anything with prankster is a top tier pokemon in this meta as most of these sets listed in this thread flat out lose to simple taunt/toxic stalling among other things

perplexingpool

Banned deucer.
it actually loses quite handily to sableye, who taunts it and then spams recover as it kills itself with brave bird/flare blitz. not saying talonflame is unusable but it's fairly easy to stop, hates trick/toxic, and still has that nasty SR weakness to deal with

as far as I'm concerned anything with prankster is a top tier pokemon in this meta as most of these sets listed in this thread flat out lose to simple taunt/toxic stalling among other things
252+ Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Sableye: 214-253 (52.9 - 62.6%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Talonflame gets a clean 2HKO with Brave Bird. If you're running more speed than the Sableye and it Taunts you on the first turn, you'll kill it easily. If it starts spamming recover on you from the first turn, you can just set up Swords Dance on it, then kill it and sweep their team. If you're Choice Band, you don't have to try and predict.

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Sableye: 268-316 (66.3 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Imo, Talonflame is one of the most solid Sableye counters in the game, unless Sableye is physically defensive or running lots of speed, in which case you shouldn't have too much trouble taking it out with your other Pokemon.

Swellow got Boomburst? I did not know that.
Still, I honestly think that Swellow is better off going for the Guts-boosted Facade.
Specs Boomburst does the same damage as Guts Facade, you have to decide to either be trapped on Boomburst (not that bad considering nothing is immune to it) or lose health every turn but being able to switch attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)