Auroraic Stall

Introduction

I probably should have posted this team over a year ago, but I just didn't get to it. This team is probably the best stall team I've ever created. It did come out on top against many top players, and really showed me the potential of stall, I still prefer bulky offense/spike stacking though. This team was made for an Era of the BW when Exacadril, Blaziken, Deoxys-S, and Garchomp.That metagame was dominated with Sand, it fun to see how much its changed in last 18 months. I don't recall what he laddering rating was, but I'm sure it was in the top 5 or so. I'm retiring this team, but if I was going to update it, I'd probably replace Fortress with Heatran, and Chansey with Blissey or may be Snorlax. The Pokemon I really hated to deal with was Psyshock Reuniclus because most of the time it, I was up like 4 or 5 mons and then, it was the last one left, and just wrecked me. I tried Spirtomb a few times but it was too weak offensively, and taunt on Skarmory in order to deal with it.

Forretress (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature (+SpD, -Spe)
~ Gyro Ball
~ Spikes
~ Rapid Spin
~ Pain Split

ah Fortress, one of the most important members of the team. Its role was to set up Spikes, and then let the residual damage do the magic. I don't like it being a total setup fodder, so Gyro ball is a fairly reliable move, and can stop sweepers from setting up a Sub on it. I'd just like to say that Pain Split on Fortress is insanely underrated, and can be a godsend especially with sturdy. It allows it to go head to head with Ferrothorn (even ones with rocky helmet), and is able to spin away any spikes or LS it creates. Without Painsplit, this team wouldn't be as effective at it once was. Painsplit also allows it to take multiple Outrages and breaks Multiscale. The main reason why I chose Fortress over Ferrothorn is because of the invaluable Rapid spin, and I also ready had enough insurance against weather teams with Chansey, Suicune, and Latias checking them easily. Fortress is also my trick absorber, the one I go to against Latios, because that one of the last things I want is chansey with a choice scarf, and its defenses being nerved by 50%.

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers or Shed Shell
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpD
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
~ Stealth Rock
~ Whirlwind
~ Roost
~ Brave Bird/Taunt

Skarmory is the shit. After you eliminate most of the special threats, it can just rip apart the opponents teams by just clicking whirlwind and roost when needed, and the entry hazards are critical to that. Its really the standard moveset. I chose Stealth Rock over Spikes because Skarmory is in most games hardier than Fortress, and it keeps Dragonite/Haxorus at bay. I find leftovers overall a lot more useful, however pretty much all the teams that ever beat this one had a Magnezone, and if you want consistent wins then Shed Shell is the way to go. It one of my pair of physical walls, the other being Suicune and both them can pretty much handle all common physical sweepers except things Electivire, Luxray, Eletktross. Brave bird is imo is way more useful than taunt because it Whirlwind already gets rid of stat boosts, and it has stopped Blaziken from wrecking the rest of my team.

Gengar (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 6 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
~ Substitute
~ Pain Split
~ Focus Blast
~ Shadow Ball

I never would have thought I would use Gengar as a spinblocker since it has paper defenses, but heck this thing is a baller, and if I get some hazards up, and a sub, then most of the time its gg from there. I know I have wish Chansey, so Subdisable is pretty useful however I like the painsplit more because it allows the chance to make more subs, just be a total troll to my opponent. Toxic spikes+Disable is pretty beastly though. Focus Blast wrecks pretty much everything that resists Shadow Ball, and with a Life orb can pretty much 2ko the whole metagame. The few things that are safe are Specially defensive Jirachi, and Tentacruel. Gengar also provides insurance against most Lucario, most notably the nasty plot versions, though Swords Dance+bullet Punch+Close Combat+Ice punch will cause massive problems.

Chansey (F) @ Evolution Stone
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
~ Wish
~ Softboiled
~ Heal Bell
~ Seismic Toss

I don't like Chansey too much, but most of the time its way better than anything else at walling special attackers. Being one of the most bulky Pokemon in the entire game, most special attacks a 1/3 or less, and I can easily heal status-ed Suicune or any of my other Pokemon. With all the testing I've done, I find that having both Wish and Softboiled is the best route to take. First it allows me to heal up to 99+% in a single turn, and it allows me to stall against disable Gengar. Wish got a huge boost this gen, and heals the rest of my pokemon upto 100%. I have used the physically defensive spread but I back then I preferred this one since it can stall out more boosted threats, such as some Volcarona. Its shame that pretty much the only decent damage it can cause against most pokemon is Seismic Toss or Toxic. That is one of the reasons why Im changing it Snorlax since it special wall really well, and hit back really hard with base 110 attack.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
~ Rest
~ Ice Beam
~ Hydro Pump
~ Roar

I'm saddened that this pokemon fell to UU because its just so underated. with 100/115/115 defenses it can serve as a mixed wall if needed. It can take Latios Draco meteor, unlike Alomola. Suicune is my go to pokemon against Blaziken, Exacadril, Salamence, Metagross, Dragonite, etc. It can easily take a hit or two and OHKO back with the appropriate move. If your wondering why I had Hydro Pump over Scald or Surf its because it OHKOed Exacadril a lot of the time after rocks, and it fooled a lot of players that I was running a much less defensive spread. I remember one time where it just survived a +4 Earthquake, and koed back. It also served a check against Garchomp. Rest+Heal bell really helped its longevity. Rest also allowed me to pressure stall certain threats eating away a fire blast, and other low pp moves.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
~ Roar/Reflect
~ Recover
~ Dragon Pulse
~ Calm Mind

One of my favorite pokes, very bulky on the special side, and my main pokemon to check sun and rain teams. I did use the 252 HP/252 Spe spread for a while but I changed it to the more defensive spread primarily because of the SD sun sweepers(Blaziken most notably,) I really hated Blaziken because I really couldn't allow it to set up or it would possibly 6-0 me. Some of the time I would play recklessly with Skarmory to get ko it, but a few times it didn't work, and I'd have to have Latias to take it on. Psyshock Reuniclus was the other force that made me change it to the alternative spread so it could stall it out until couldn't attack anymore. After sleep clause is activated, Latias is one of the best checks against Venusaur, the premier sun sweeper now that Blaziken is banned.

The Big Five (threat list)

• Psychock Reuniclus-yet so cute, but so deadly at the same time
  • Mixed Tornadus-difficult in the rain, confusion just make it worse
  • Taunt Hydregion-maxing out latias's speed would help with this.
  • Magnezone-really mismantles this team
  • Jirachi-So unpredictable+hax

Import:
Forretress (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature (+SpD, -Spe)
~ Gyro Ball
~ Spikes
~ Rapid Spin
~ Pain Split

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers or Shed Shell
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
~ Stealth Rock
~ Whirlwind
~ Roost
~ Brave Bird/Taunt

Gengar (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 6 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
~ Substitute
~ Pain Split
~ Focus Blast
~ Shadow Ball

Chansey (F) @ Evolution Stone
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
~ Wish
~ Softboiled
~ Heal Bell
~ Seismic Toss

Suicune @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
~ Rest
~ Ice Beam
~ Hydro Pump
~ Roar

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
~ Roar/Reflect
~ Recover
~ Dragon Pulse
~ Calm Mind

hey sweet team i have a team quite similar which stalls and phazes my opponents into entry hazards. i havent found anything that needs changing but i have come up with a few alternative moves that your pokemon can use.

have you tried sub-Disable on gengar? it isd a great strategy thta involve sgengar getting a sub up and then disabling the move your opponent used to break the sub.

also although soft boiled helps with Chanseys Longetitvity you still have wish to heal therefore i suggest the move gravity over soft boiled makes air borne targets such as flying types and air baloon users hit the ground so they also get damaged by entry hazards. overall solid team good job!

If you're aiming to adapt this team to the current meta, then to me it looks absurdly weak to the standard VoltTurn teams as well as some Fighting types (especially, Terrakion, and SD Lucario with Bullet Punch). Significantly, you really don't have any way to stop the Rotom-W / Scizor core. I always find on stall its crucial to have a Ground type or at least a Volt Absorber so that when Rotom comes in against Skarmory / Suicune you aren't forced to cede the momentum for the next 10 turns. Compounding this problem is you don't have any reliable leads against the standard Mixed SR Tyranitar these teams lead with.

Now, Fighting types. Terrakion probably won't sweep; CB is the most dangerous version for you but SubSD is also tricky if the opponent predicts between Sub or SD well. It doesn't help that Chansey's movepool is somewhat overloaded so it and a bunch of other threats switch in with almost nothing to fear. But literally you have nothing at all which can switch into a CB Stone Edge. Lucario is just as dangerous, sets up easily on Chansey and if it has Bullet Punch and some residual damage on Latias then it's gg.

Luckily there's an easy fix :) Your team isn't actually weak to entry hazards at all; no SR weaks and 3 members are Levitators. Therefore I'm going to suggest replacing your Forretress with a specially defensive Nidoqueen.

Nidoqueen @ Leftovers
Sheer Force, Calm nature
252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpDef
-Toxic Spikes
-Flamethrower
-Ice Beam
-Earth Power
Fits absolutely perfectly on this team. Like I said losing the Rapid Spin support doesn't hurt you, and it still absorbs the Toxic Spikes which would be dangerous for Chansey and Suicune. On the other hand, it beats Fighting types comfortably, is immune to Volt Switch, sets up against Scizor and Tyranitar, and still gives you Toxic Spikes to support your other members. Moveset leaves you mostly walled by Rotom-W, but otherwise allows you to check almost every dangerous non-Water sweeper in the metagame.

This should definitely help out if you're planning on using this team some more, otherwise it looks great. Good luck :)

it still absorbs the Toxic Spikes which would be dangerous for Chansey and Suicune
.Chansey does have Heal Bell

i would go with the Nidoquenn because it goes well with skarm as Nidoqueen can take fire attacks and Skarm can take the earth. on a side note i might Try that Nidoqueen set on my team.

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey this is a pretty cool stall team but I feel as if it can be improved upon. Rain Abuse Jirachi [CM/Water Pulse/Sub/Thunder] is a major threat to this team, as you outlined [somewhat] in your threatlist. Standard Defensive Jirachi can be dealt with for the most part by your team, as it will have a very hard time taking Suicune, Skarmory and Forretress down, while Gengar can pick off a weakened one. Rain Abuse Jirachi and most SubCM Jirachi variants in general can be somewhat troubling for this team, especially since Seismic Toss on Chansey can't break its sub in one-go. As you stated in your threats, the luck factor with Jirachi often allows it to get past Chansey and a smarter player will probably make sure that Chansey is weakened before they send in Jirachi. Between Water Pulse and Thunder, Jirachi is able to take out Skarmory, Gengar, Suicune and Forretress, not to mention that Forretress is setup bait for the aforementioned Jirachi set, rendering it a liability against opponents carrying Rain Abuse Jirachi. Chansey and Latias are extremely shaky counters and if they have taken prior damage, then they most likely won't have any chance of beating Rain Abuse Jirachi. Another problematic Pokemon for this team is SubSplit/SubDisable Gengar, since neither of your special walls is really great against it [Latias its killed by Shadow Ball, whereas Chansey can't even touch it]. It may not be able to rip huge holes in your team [although with smart play it definitely can, since Focus Blast can end up hurting Chansey if its been damaged], but is a nuisance to play around and your only choice is to PP Stall against it. Gengar will often score Special Defensive drops, however, which could threaten Chansey quite a bit. Overall, I think that the problems that exist in Gengar and Rain Abuse Jirachi can be covered by Specially Defensive Gastrodon. Specially Defensive Gastrodon can stop all Calm Mind Jirachi variants cold while being able to deal heavy damage to Gengar via Scald, while Gengar can never 2HKO Gastrodon. Additionally, Gastrodon has an excellent ability in Storm Drain, which allows it to act as a great counter to Rain Teams and power up its Scalds. Earthquake helps take down Calm Minders such as Jirachi while Toxic is great for catching pretty much anything. To replace the presence of Suicune as a Physically Defensive Bulky Water, I think that you could try a Jellicent over Gengar. Jellicent is easily the best spinblocker in the metagame right now and can wall a good portion of threats with its respectable bulk while crippling them with Will O Wisp. Jellicent also doesn't have to fear Pursuits from Pokemon like Scarf Tyranitar, thanks to its bulk, whereas Gengar does. Additionally, Jellicent holds the benefit of being able to Taunt Pokemon like Forretress that often try and Spin, so that they can't lay hazards while Jellicent is in.

Gastrodon (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic

Jellicent (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Additionally, I think you could make a few changes to your movesets to improve the team's function. I think that Toxic over Wish would help Chansey a lot, as it allows Chansey to stall out so many boosting sweepers that would otherwise beat it, such as Nasty Plot Celebi, Calm Mind Latias and Quiver Dance Volcarona. Toxic can also catch stuff like Tyranitar and Terrakion that often switch in on Chansey. I don't think Wish is too necessary, since Forretress has Pain Split and Suicune has Rest, so they are pretty capable of healing themselves. Toxic is pretty much the reason why Blissey is such a great special wall and really increases its effectiveness overall, whereas your team can probably do without wish, so I'd probably replace Toxic with Wish. Additionally, I'd put a Shed Shell on Skarmory over Leftovers, mainly so that you won't have 2 team members who are completely susceptible to Magnezone and Skarm can do without Lefties recovery in most cases since it has Roost. Finally, I'd change your Latias's spread to the standard 252 HP/4 SpA/252 Speed one for CM + Roar variants. Latias has an amazing Speed tier of 110, which allows it to outspeed Hydreigon, the muskateers, Infernape and a lot more stuff; it actually allows you to beat CB Terrakion locked into Close Combat by Roosting before it CCs until its Special Defense has dropped enough to where you can KO it. Latias still retains a ton of bulk even with no investment with the standard spread and is able to make use of its amazing speed tier to act as a Pseudo-Revenge Killer.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Roost
- Roar

Change Summary:

Chansey:
Wish->Toxic

Skarmory:
Leftovers->Shed Shell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)