Attempting to Stall

Like that would ever work now but...Well here is my attempt to try and stall in the era of pure offense. While I havent had too many battles with it; it seems to be working relatively well, so I'm going to try and stick with it and see if it can improve. Anyways on to the pokemon. ^.^

The lead?

Spiritomb (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/188 Def/68 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Will-o-wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Pain Split
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

HP Fighting + WoW + a heavy physical spread means that Lucario does have something known as a counter, and a define counter if Lucario is running Bullet Punch over Crunch. HP Fighting is good for the ever common Tyrantar, and it also gives me a reliable why to 2hko Lucario. The spread also helps take hits from Tyranitar and co. And of course Spiritomb is there to protect the ever important combination of Spikes.

Or the lead?

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/188 Def/68 SDef
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Ok this is about as close as anyone can get to countering Garchomp, though I lose to the forgotten Chainchomp but forgetting that moving on, HP Ice because I would like the ability to 2hko Garchomp if its stuck in Outrage against Bronzong. SR because what team doesnt need SR and it completes the Spikes/TS/SR thing. Earthquake is an underrated move on Zong; dealing a good 75% to Maggy and 71% to Heatran, which are, of course, two of his best counters. And Toxic is great for some of the defensive Pokemon that think they can sit there a wall Bronzong like he cant do anything (Cressilia, Blissey, and Togekiss notable).

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/36 Def/32 Spd/188 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt / Discharge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roar
- Roost

Part one of my Special Defense is Zapdos. The quircky EV spread is a little odd. 32 Spe allows me outspeed any Tyranitar, and the defense gives me two things: I can now live through a BulkyDos Stone Egde after a DD everytime and it also lets me live through most unboosted attack Garchomp can through at me and some boosted ones that lack Life Orb (Adamant CB Outrage and Stone Egde are the only unboosted ones I can think of off hand.) While I love the para rate of Discharge and its generally my favored choice, Thunderbolt seems more pratical seeing that I should have TS down, which, of course, means that I cant Para anything. HP Ice and Roost are obvious choices. Roar is an odder choice but with Roar its impossible for me to lose to Raikou, or Togekiss, or whatever special pokemon that think it can win via stat up on Zapdos, Roar is also extremely uncommon on Zapdos so I also have a slight element of surprise on my side, and finally Roar lets me add up damage through the entry hazards.

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP/52 SAtk/204 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Part two of my Special Defense. Well RestTalk Heatran is contining to become more popular, so the surprise has worn off but doesnt mean it doesnt work. Blessed with an intense amount of resist and only three weaknesses, Heatran is a valuable assist to any team and has the blessed ablity to counter the ever dangerous Gengar. 52 evs allow Heatran to ohko Heatran that run no defenses so... Scarf (Which cant ohko with Earth Power ^.^) and Specs Tran. Any water pokemon that is running 269 SpA cant even 2hko me with Surf, so I always have the ability to rest. Flamethrower gets the nod of Lava Plume for the same reason T-Bolt is being used over Discharge on Zapdos.

Forretress (M) @ Leftovers / Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP/64 Atk/192 Def
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball

Well.... Basically Forretress is my T-Tar and Weavile counter and does a good job at that thanks to STABed Gyro Ball and Gyro Ball is perfect for getting Gengar on the switch. Maggy is a grave problem, however, because well.... This team absolutely needs TS and Spikes down, so I'm probably going to use Shed Shell over Leftovers. Everything else is needed, obvious and will not change.

Vaporeon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 200 HP/252 Def/56 SAtk
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Wish
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Surf
- Toxic / Roar / Protect

Well the choice came down to either Vaporeon, Gyarados, or Cressy as I need to cover both Infernape and Gyarados in my final slot. Gyarados was removed because Stone Egde is too popular; and I went with Vaporeon because Wish support seemed like the way to go as it kept my "frail" physical tanks healthy and going. Vaporeon also helps with the Heatran weak. Wish, HP Electric, and Surf were auto adds but I cant decided for the final move. Toxic seems like it could work, spreading Toxic to flying pogeys and the like. Protect because I do that whole Wish-Protect and heal without any risks. Or maybe Roar would be the move of choice because it once again allows me to spread my secondary damage like wild fire.

Overall it seems like its fairly solid. TauntTran seems like it could be a probably but Vaporeon should be able to handle him even if he's packing HP Grass/Electric. A last pokemon whatever with Rest can always be a difficult and frustrating battle. Curselax notable would be almost impossible to stop as the last pokemon thanks to my complete and utter lack of a physical fighting attack. And because I lack a Physical Attack a last pokemon Blissey can be easily stalled but with Aroma it would be a very long battle of wasting its PP. I'm also relying on single pokemon to wall certain threats, losing one could cause me to lose easily, losing Bronzong would basically end that game if my opponent had SD Chomp; so I really hate Duggy picking off some of my weakened team.

---Pokemon for consideration---

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Atk / 224 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
-Pursuit
-Earthquake / Rock Slide
-Rest
-Curse / Sleep Talk

CurseTar, rare, unexpected and could be a great sub over Heatran. Tyranitar would give me more reliable coverage against Heatran and still have a great Gengar counter (a fleeing Gengar is always ohkoed). And the swap between the two would be easy thanks to similar weakness so it doesnt really affect the balance (Water, Fighting, and Ground) but... I lose all of the resist Heatran brought to the table, Dragon importantly, and I gain T-Tars in-human stats.

Hmm, a few things. Hippowdon would really help out with stall with its sand storm so i would really put that in. Also Heracross pretty much beats this team with SR support. You should replace Zapdos with Hippowdon. Give Vaporeon protect also. Lead with Bronzong instead since your ant-spinner should be just that and not try to counter too much. Heatran is kinda meh on this team since it looks like you just through it in and you don't have too many things to break other stallers so TTar should be good over that. I don't really like your set though, CB or Boah should be okay. 1 more thing is that Aromatherapy/Heal Bell would fit nicley into the team but it looks like you really don't have space for it. If you really want to you can replace Bronzong for celebi and lead with Hippowdon if status ever gives you problems. Anyways if anything I said confused you this is what I am basically saying.

Bronzong/Hippowdon
Spiritomb
Tyranitar
Vaporeon
Foretress
Hippowdon/Celebi (if you lead with Hippowdon)

What I dislike here is that other stall teams will probably win out. For this reason alone, I'd slap RestTalk onto Spiritomb as well. It's no use getting that Toxic'd.

As for the team itself, I'd be worried about Heracross. There's not much you can do about it, but luckily, the more dangerous SD Cross is rare. However, the lack of a prominent phsyical defensive beast is noticeable so I'd at least try to match this up by slapping Reflect on Bronzong. It can probably go over Toxic =/

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I think you should lead with Bronzong in order to set up early, after all, stall teams do rely on residual damage. Even though Stealth Rock's damage may seem minimal and very little, they all add up, especially when racking up Spikes and Toxic Spikes as well. With this particular Bronzong, I would highly advise you to use Lum Berry Bronzong with perhaps 2 IVs in speed to outspeed them common 1 Speed IV Bronzongs. This would give you a guarenteed set up if you're up against other Bronzongs.

As for Spiritomb, ResTalk can help you stall a lot better. It is generally a good idea to have a semi-reliable or reliable recovery move in order to last longer. However, with your current moveset, I think running more SpD is better since WoW will cripple physical sweepers anyway. Even so, your main aim is to stall with indirect damage switch-in damage and toxic right? This is something you should consider with Spiritomb, after all, burning a pokemon makes them immune to Toxic.

On Forretress, keep Leftovers. You don't want to be any more BandTar weak. Without leftovers, it can't really take a Stone Edge from a switch-in. Anyway, BandTar in late game will cause havoc for you, assuming most of your pokemon has already taken some damage. Nothing can take a beating from TTar. This is why I think a physical wall variant of Swampert can be a great addition to your team.

Also, as MoP said, Heracross can literally take this team down very easily. The only counter to it would be Zapdos but be wary of Stone Edge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)