Atlanta warstory - my first post!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post on Smogon. My name is David and I was the winner of the Atlanta VGC event last weekend.

Here is my story
My family started the journey to Atlanta by waking up at around 4:30 in the morning so we would not get there too late at night. We had to take a 13 hour trip from Chicago. During the trip I did not stop asking my dad to battle and he did not want to as much because I have beaten all of his teams. We made it to Atlanta at around 8:00 at night while enduring heavy rain along the way. We ate at the hotel, saw some of the Pokemon staff and then went to bed.

We woke up at 6:00 to get ready. My sister was in the juniors so we had to get up early. She ended up winning the junior division. While she was in her top four my brother, my dad, and I got in line for the senior division. We sat in line for about 1 and a half hour. My team was as following:

Kyogre (Dory) @ Wacan Berry
Modest
-Water spout
-Protect
-Blizzard
-Thunder

Ludicolo (Disco Duck) @ Lum Berry
Modest
-Grass Knot
-Fake Out
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam

Palkia (Pearl) @ Haban Berry
Timid
-Hydro Pump
-Protect
-Spacial Rend
-Flamethrower

Hitmontop (Twister) @ Life Orb
Adamant
-Fake Out
-Detect
-Mach Punch
-Sucker Punch

Round 1 Vs Cody
While I was going into this match I was a little nervous about coming up against a mirror match. I entered the battle area and met my first opponent Cody. To my great relief he was not running a version of my team, but instead had a shiny Gyrados and Mamoswine lead. I faked out his Gyrados and water spouted with Kyogre, I got a crit on Gyrados to OHKO it (today was going to be a good day) and I also got the OHKO on Mamoswine. Then he sent out two other pokemon that I can’t remember, but I easily knocked them both out.4-0

Round 2 Vs Trevor
I looked around and saw that my dad and brother were still battling so I headed into the purple zone. I met Trevor; we shook hands and started battling. He started off with Kyogre and Palkia. Don’t remember much about the match, but it was 3-0 win.

Round 3 Vs Perry
I looked over at my brother and he said that he just lost, as it turns out, I was matched up with his opponent. Perry started with a Rhypherior - Aerodactyl lead. First I faked out Rypherior and forgot that Aerodactyl could really hurt my Ludicolo, but he just used tailwind. My Kyogre water spouted to OHKO both of his Pokemon. Then he sent out Giratina and Groudon. I do not remember the rest, but I KOed both very easily. I think it ended up 3-0.

Round 4 Vs Alex
I looked over and my dad was still battling so I went into the last area before the finalist lounge and I met Alex. We shook hands and started battling. He started with shiny Dialga and shiny Hitmontop. I was a little suspicious at first, but I quickly entered my moves. I faked out his Hitmontop and water spouted. His Dialga then thundered my Kyogre, but thanks to my berry the attack did not do much. I do not remember the rest but, all I know is that I barely won by hitting his Kyogre while mine was paralyzed. I won 1-0

Finalist Lounge
I was one of the first finalists in so I decided to watch my dad battle. I could tell it was a tense battle and my dad finally won. After he made it into the finalist lounge we went and got lunch. When we were done we went back and waited until four. At that time a staff member told us that some of us would be doing an extra round to get in top 16 we had to draw a card. A green card meant that you had to do an extra battle and a purple card meant that you had to only do one battle. My dad and I both got a purple card.

Round 5 top 32 Vs Alex (two Alex’s in a row.)
I do not remember much of this battle. This was a bad matchup for Alex. I know Alex posted his war story, so there really isn’t much to say here. I won easily. 3-0

Round 6 (top 16) Vs Kevin
I looked over and my dad was still battling so I continued on and met Kevin and we shook hands to start the battle. I do not remember the battle and all I know is that I won again with ease. 3-0

Round 7 Vs Andrew
I looked over yet again and saw that my dad was also in the 8. I met my opponent Andrew. We shook hands and began the battle. Yet again I do not remember what happened in this match, but I easily won yet again.

Round 8 Vs Cole
At this point I knew that I had a DSi and a paid trip. I was the first in the top 4. My dad soon joined me so we had a 50% chance of facing each other in this round. After all top four people were ready we headed into the arena. I was not matched up against my dad, I was up against Cole. Again I do not remember what he used and I easily beat him.

Round 9 Vs my own dad
I had beaten my top four opponent and had to wait for the finals. It turns out that my dad won so we had to battle each other for more than just the family title. He started with a Giritina - Hitmontop lead. He protected the Hitmontop and I ice beamed his Giritina. He shadow forced, so my blizzard missed. The next turn I hydropumped to KO Hitmontop and used blizzard again to finish off Giratina. He brought out Abomasnow and Kyogre. I ended the match by winning 2-0.

I couldn’t believe my luck. Everyone was so nice to me during the entire tournament. I would like to thank all of my opponents and all of the people that work for Pokemon.

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Before I even read it I want to be the first to congratulate you. Congrats! See you at Nats!

Congrats man, it's pretty awesome how both you and your dad made it to semis. I hope to see you and your family at nationals :)

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Bro. No lie. Can you teach me how to play teh pogeymanz? I need to learn from the master!! You rock!

Congratulations! It must be great to have a whole family that plays pokemon. Did you and your brother and sister pick up pokemon from your dad, or did you just start playing by yourselves? I was thinking of introducing it to my dad. :)

Let me say congratulations to you as well and welcome to Smogon. I watched your sister win the junior division but I didn't get to stay to watch you and your dad make it to the top during the senior division. I'm looking forward to seeing you at nationals!

Congratulations! It must be great to have a whole family that plays pokemon. Did you and your brother and sister pick up pokemon from your dad, or did you just start playing by yourselves? I was thinking of introducing it to my dad. :)
Actually my brother sister and I got my dad to start playing pokemon.

Nice job on winning David! I do believe you're the youngest VGC Regional champ :)

Hope to see you and your family at Nationals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)