Ask simple questions here! [READ ORIGINAL POST before posting]

This is the place to ask questions that can be answered in a single post. Threads are meant for discussion, and questions like those don't provide that. Before you post here, check your post wouldn't be better suited to one of these threads:
If you have one of those questions, great! Just scan over this list first:
  1. Make sure it's related to the Pokemon Showdown simulator. In-game questions go in Orange Islands, while battling questions are more suited to the relevant Competitive Discussion subforum.
  2. Google is a cool resource - try searching there first. It only takes a matter of seconds, and might resolve your issue quickly without resorting to this thread.
  3. If you're new to Smogon in general, the Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread thread is the perfect place to find your feet.
  4. There's some good stuff on the sim page on the PS site - including a general FAQ and staff FAQ.
Answering a question? Some tips:
  1. Even if it's a really basic question, it'd be awesome if you could provide a very brief explanation to prevent the need for further questions.
  2. Please quote the question you're replying to, to avoid confusion.
I have a lot of questions and idk where they'd get answered

1. Why.. In "anything goes" are there so many banned Pokemon? If its anything goes you'd think you're allowed even like a Salamence or something.

2. Why are there options for abilities.. Then you're barred from starting a battle because the ability isn't confirmed? If its not .. Then why is it in the game?

3. Why do my spikes/toxic spikes randomly disappear? Plus my Gengar can get poisoned from it but no one else's I've seen can.

4. Is there an option to battle people that don't swap out every single turn? I thought the spikes would help with that, but apparently they constantly disappear randomly.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
1. Why.. In "anything goes" are there so many banned Pokemon? If its anything goes you'd think you're allowed even like a Salamence or something.

2. Why are there options for abilities.. Then you're barred from starting a battle because the ability isn't confirmed? If its not .. Then why is it in the game?
"Anything Goes" for a given generation is a format that allows anything legal in those games. This is compared to other formats like OU and Ubers which have bans setup on some thing. Salamence cannot be used in the Generation 8 games (Sword/Shield) so it's illegal in Gen 8 AG. Same thing with hidden abilities, some of them are unobtainable in the games currently and cannot be used as a result.
3. Why do my spikes/toxic spikes randomly disappear? Plus my Gengar can get poisoned from it but no one else's I've seen can.
Do you have a replay of this? This seems like a bug to me.
4. Is there an option to battle people that don't swap out every single turn? I thought the spikes would help with that, but apparently they constantly disappear randomly.
Switching pokemon is a strategy used by competetive pokemon players, which smogon/showdown cater to. The only format that disallows switching is 1v1 which is limited to 3 pokemon per team at team preview, and you can only use one of them in the battle (hence 1v1).

In addition to 1v1, doubles and Battle Stadium usually have much less switching compared to 6v6 singles, so you can play any of those if you want. In older generations, there are ways to discourage switching in 6v6, such as stealth rock, ghosts (to block rapid spin), defiant/competitive (to discourage defog), arena trap, and trapping moves. I don't know how well any of those work in the new SwSh metagames.

"Anything Goes" for a given generation is a format that allows anything legal in those games. This is compared to other formats like OU and Ubers which have bans setup on some thing. Salamence cannot be used in the Generation 8 games (Sword/Shield) so it's illegal in Gen 8 AG. Same thing with hidden abilities, some of them are unobtainable in the games currently and cannot be used as a result.

Do you have a replay of this? This seems like a bug to me.

Switching pokemon is a strategy used by competetive pokemon players, which smogon/showdown cater to. The only format that disallows switching is 1v1 which is limited to 3 pokemon per team at team preview, and you can only use one of them in the battle (hence 1v1).
I get its a strategy ... But its past the point of strategy. Where its literally every turn. They're not even attacking they're just swapping out non stop. A strategy is made for you to win the game ... Not make your loss take 150 turns.

In addition to 1v1, doubles and Battle Stadium usually have much less switching compared to 6v6 singles, so you can play any of those if you want. In older generations, there are ways to discourage switching in 6v6, such as stealth rock, ghosts (to block rapid spin), defiant/competitive (to discourage defog), arena trap, and trapping moves. I don't know how well any of those work in the new SwSh metagames.
My stealth rock and spikes disappear randomly all the time :/ so that doesn't help much.

Also. Quick claw has worked once in over 50 battles. I understand its supposed to be occasional ... But not that occasional.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Is Destiny Bond not supposed to work against dynamax?

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8randombattle-1016126072
Thats correct.
I get its a strategy ... But its past the point of strategy. Where its literally every turn. They're not even attacking they're just swapping out non stop. A strategy is made for you to win the game ... Not make your loss take 150 turns.
I've only seen infinite switching in stall v stall situations where it can become the optimal play. As for removing it well thats a really tough to tackle issue that has been touched on before. Eitherway regular switching for advantage is a key part of pokemon just like prediciton is.

Last edited:

bigtalk

Banned deucer.
I'm sure this has been asked before/elsewhere but I couldn't find the thread for it... when is the damage calculator going to be updated for gen 8?

How do I select a Gigantamax mon in teambuilder? I select something like Lapras-Gmax in teambuilder, but when I Dynamax in an actual battle, it's a regular dynamax and not the gigantamax form.

Is there a reason for Random Battles in gen 5 and beyond to not have team preview? Seems like a big departure from the usage-based tiers.

I'm not suggesting to add team preview, but was wondering the descision behind this.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
PS Admin
How do I select a Gigantamax mon in teambuilder? I select something like Lapras-Gmax in teambuilder, but when I Dynamax in an actual battle, it's a regular dynamax and not the gigantamax form.
If you mean the button says "Dynamax" thats normal and how it works in-game. If you have an Ice type attack move you should notice checking the box turns it into G-Max Resonance which shows that the pokemon will gigantamax.

If you mean the button says "Dynamax" thats normal and how it works in-game. If you have an Ice type attack move you should notice checking the box turns it into G-Max Resonance which shows that the pokemon will gigantamax.
Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 1.04.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 1.04.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 1.05.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 1.07.14 PM.png
I just used Lapras and Grimmsnarl as examples, but this is not working for me for ANY Gigantamax mon. I'm using their Gigantamax forms in the teambuilder, so I have no clue as to why they are Dynamaxing and not Gigantamaxing.

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Hi, I'm not sure this is the place for it but I figured I couldn't really go wrong by posting it here.

I first thought there was an issue with the damage formula used in ps with the +2 roaming in that formula (according to internet sources such as bulbapedia and serebi) from looking to the code (+ the issue I thought there was matched with the damage calc results which are not the one I obtained by "manual" calculation), so I did some tests, and during those test, this happened :

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8customgame-1022897205-rcw7l95sky6j2dipq0fxtgcnwb2evtcpw

The thing happened Turn 10 Snorlax took 169 damages, min roll according to ps damagecalc is 170, and min roll according to internet sources formula is 171. From the calculation I made, it only matches a 0.84 roll, while rolls are supposed to be (according to the same sources as before) between 0.85 and 1.

JavaScript:
randomizer(baseDamage: number) {
    const tr = this.trunc;
    return tr(tr(baseDamage * (100 - this.random(16))) / 100);
I'm have absolutly no experience with Jave so I don't know if that 16 is the reason or if putting 16 means 15 is the biggest possible number generated.

So, for this reason, the main reason I'm putting this here is not related to the main part but to the fact that in gen 1 and 2 the calculation of the roll is not this one but is a number between 217 and 255 divided by 255 (according to bulbapedia).
Neither Bulbapedia nor Serebii have reliable documentation on the damage formula. You can use this article as a more reliable reference.

Assuming the numbers given were correct (102 BP Return, 256 Attack, 156 Defense), it should be calculated as follows:

Base Damage = floor[floor[(floor[2*100/5]*102*256)/166]/50] + 2
= floor[floor[(42*102*256)/166]/50] + 2
= floor[6606]/50] + 2
= 132 +2
= 134

With 134 base damage, no modifiers exist until the random damage rolls. After the random damage rolls, the possible values are as follows:
113, 115, 116, 117, 119, 120, 121, 123, 124, 125, 127, 128, 129, 131, 132, 134

After applying STAB to each damage roll, the possible values are as follows:
169, 172, 174, 175, 178, 180, 181, 184, 186, 187, 190, 192, 193, 196, 198, 201

As you can see, Return's minimum damage roll in this case is 169. But this is exactly what Showdown's damage calculator is returning, so I'm not sure what the issue is.
1575492218938.png

Okay
so basically I want Haze on my Xatu, but its listed as illegal on the move selector. On the smogon strategy pokedex, Xatu gets haze, so I don't know why I can't put it on him. This also happened when I wanted to put tailwind on Swoobat. I'm sorry if its painfully obvious, but I just don't understand.

Annika

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
Okay
so basically I want Haze on my Xatu, but its listed as illegal on the move selector. On the smogon strategy pokedex, Xatu gets haze, so I don't know why I can't put it on him. This also happened when I wanted to put tailwind on Swoobat. I'm sorry if its painfully obvious, but I just don't understand.
Xatu doesn't get Haze in Gen 8. If you're playing in a Gen 7 format, just select it anyway; it'll still work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)