Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Im EV training for the first time, I have my Bouffalant with the macho brace, and am going against Boldores, because of the +1 ATK and +1 DEF, he is super easy to find, but I am having a hard time finding reference to anyone thinking that he is good to train against? I did the basculine one already to boost his speed, but is there something I am severely overlooking?
Most people prefer to train only one stat at a time, and Atk+Def is a fairly uncommon combination, so Boldore isn't usually a very good choice.

Out of curiosity, what EV spread are you going for?

Well, for VGC 12 rules BW2 move tutors probably won't be allowed, so you won't need to worry about it.

I'm usually not a big fan of mixed stuff, but a mixed set is probably best for Eelektross. Something like Thunderbolt / Acrobatics / Drain Punch / Protect might be good. I haven't used it much, so I don't really know how effective this would be, but it's worth a try.
I'm more interest in one on one matches, plus I'm making a trick room team. I get Thunderbolt and Drain Punch, but Protect and Acrobatics?

Most people prefer to train only one stat at a time, and Atk+Def is a fairly uncommon combination, so Boldore isn't usually a very good choice.

Out of curiosity, what EV spread are you going for?
Oh.. Well I am pretty new.. I stopped before gold/silver came out to game-boy color, so this is all new to me.. Shiny, EV's.. I just thought I would try it all out on a bouffalant, so as he stands now

Bouffalant Level 44
Impish Nature W/ Macho Brace
HP 150
Attack 115
Defense 121
Sp Atk 40
Sp Def 98
Speed 71

So since my battling strategy is pretty basic, not using weather and other boosts yet, that high atk and def and increased speed would be beneficial?

Im thinking this is wrong though..so I am removing the Exp share from my Virizion...

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
EVs are kind of complicated at first, you may want to look through Smogon's guide. If there's anything that link doesn't explain or that you don't understand, feel free to ask more about it.

Also, with regards to speed, keep in mind that Bouffalant is pretty slow with or without EVs, so it might not be worthwhile to invest in it.

Okay, Maybe I will revisit the guide and see where I went wrong lol
My girlfriends going to be a bit testy at me if I made her make a little chart and count how many boldores and basculines I have KO'd in the past 3 days for nothing tho.. Better not tell her.

With his speed, he seems to do better now, the past 4 levels have been +3 and so far he seems to be able to last through any one hit, then match it with a great revenge.

But I have not played against any real people yet, so I guess I will see how this works in the real world. Thanks for the help, I am off to read more!!

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
Okay, Maybe I will revisit the guide and see where I went wrong lol
My girlfriends going to be a bit testy at me if I made her make a little chart and count how many boldores and basculines I have KO'd in the past 3 days for nothing tho.. Better not tell her.

With his speed, he seems to do better now, the past 4 levels have been +3 and so far he seems to be able to last through any one hit, then match it with a great revenge.

But I have not played against any real people yet, so I guess I will see how this works in the real world. Thanks for the help, I am off to read more!!
Just keep in mind on something slow, but rather bulky, like Bouffalant, it's probably better to capitalize on that bulk rather than trying to make it faster. In that case you'd probably be better running max Atk and HP. In any case, this is an excellent place to check for recommended EVs.

I am aware that in double battles in 5th gen, the damage sum of spread moves are reduced. However if there is only one opposing Pokemon does it stay reduced?

Thanks. =D

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
I am aware that in double battles in 5th gen, the damage sum of spread moves are reduced. However if there is only one opposing Pokemon does it stay reduced?

Thanks. =D
It depends on the number of possible targets, even if the other targets use Protect or are immune or whatever. The power will only not be reduced if your opponent only has one Pokémon in play, and if it can hit your other Pokémon then the power will still be reduced unless you only have one as well.

So, lately in my area I have found a high number of Pokemon games getting sold used for dirt cheap.. in the past week I have bought 6 catridges and a 3ds, and spent just under 120 dollars in total.
With all these games, some have been wiped, others are not. The 5 dollar Pokemon pearl I got today, has a level 78 Ferligator, a level 100 pikachu, 7 badges.. I know he had transferred or released every Pokemon in his storage system, but I am suspicious as to why he left these two.

Quick question, what's the best/most common thing to do with previous owners pokemon?

Also, is there a classifieds forum that I just am not able to find? I want to offer some $ or goods to anyone who wants to mail me a souvenir from the nationals.. also, I would like a penpal.

Also, is there a classifieds forum that I just am not able to find? I want to offer some $ or goods to anyone who wants to mail me a souvenir from the nationals.. also, I would like a penpal.
Not to backseat mod, but I doubt these things should be on Smogon. I'd sign up for craigslist if I were you. I could probably get you a souvenir, and I'm not sure about the pen-pal thing.

So, lately in my area I have found a high number of Pokemon games getting sold used for dirt cheap.. in the past week I have bought 6 catridges and a 3ds, and spent just under 120 dollars in total.
With all these games, some have been wiped, others are not. The 5 dollar Pokemon pearl I got today, has a level 78 Ferligator, a level 100 pikachu, 7 badges.. I know he had transferred or released every Pokemon in his storage system, but I am suspicious as to why he left these two.

Quick question, what's the best/most common thing to do with previous owners pokemon?
I like to wipe their EVs, check the IVs, and see what I can do with them, if anything, competitively.

Not to backseat mod, but I doubt these things should be on Smogon. I'd sign up for craigslist if I were you. I could probably get you a souvenir, and I'm not sure about the pen-pal thing.

hahaha ok, fair enough.

Why does it call me fat?
:(
Im big boned but..kinda mean.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
I can't see anything in the rules against it, and there's nothing ethically questionable about the request, so I'm gonna ok it. The pen pal bit is definitely off-topic, though.

And if you look at other posts you'll notice it calls everyone in quotes fat, not just you :P

Well...if it keeps calling me fat..atleast itll be a good thing and make me famous!

How many cartridges are too many? I just found another kijiji ad for soul silver and white for $20 all together. I have only 1 white but 2 silver..its soo tempting! I dont even know why tho

oh, another quick question!

I am going backpacking in south america in the later part of this year for 6+ months,
Does anyone know about the pokemon scene down there?

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
How many cartridges are too many? I just found another kijiji ad for soul silver and white for $20 all together. I have only 1 white but 2 silver..its soo tempting! I dont even know why tho
This really isn't the place to ask for purchasing advice.
oh, another quick question!

I am going backpacking in south america in the later part of this year for 6+ months,
Does anyone know about the pokemon scene down there?
I'm not too familiar with the non-VGC scene, but this might be a good place to start.

Also, please don't double post. If you have multiple questions just a few minutes apart, use the "Edit" button in the bottom-right corner of your post.

Hi, I was wondering if trading pokemon from black/white rom to use in vgc is legal. im not concidering action replay, just using the extra speed feature and thus saving a lot of time. will these pokemon be detected during the checks?

thanks

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Hi, I was wondering if trading pokemon from black/white rom to use in vgc is legal. im not concidering action replay, just using the extra speed feature and thus saving a lot of time. will these pokemon be detected during the checks?

thanks
Using Pokémon from roms is perfectly legal, assuming no cheats or editing programs were involved. Obviously you need to use a retail cart for the actual tournament, though.

Using Pokémon from roms is perfectly legal, assuming no cheats or editing programs were involved. Obviously you need to use a retail cart for the actual tournament, though.
are you 100% possitive? i would hate to drive all the way to nationals only to be disqualified. how about using double walking speed action replay just to speed things up?

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
Just make sure the Pokemon that you're using are legit, and not generated by programs like Pokegen or the like, and you'll be fine.

Okay, I am back with 2 more questions!

1- I have started breeding some Pokemon and was wondering if the starting stats reflect anything or show that one will be better than another? I have a spreadsheet to mark egg#, gender, nature, characteristic, ability, and then the stats. And no matter what species it seems to be 6's, 5's and 4, but some are at all 6's, and I am just wondering if its reflective of iv's or anything at all..

2- And I wanted to make sure, EV's stick with a pokemon after trading right? because I was on the trade negotiations and received quite a few high levels for some low level ones of the same pokemon, and was not sure why until I thought that possibly these high leveled ones are ev screwed?

Thanks to all, this is really starting to get a bit clearer, and I have been studying the guides, faqs and drooling with envy over the war stories from this past weekend.
Really is making these games I love even more deep, interesting and I hope to be around these forums for a long time and get to know you all better!

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
2- And I wanted to make sure, EV's stick with a pokemon after trading right? because I was on the trade negotiations and received quite a few high levels for some low level ones of the same pokemon, and was not sure why until I thought that possibly these high leveled ones are ev screwed?
EVs do stick around after trading, yes.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Okay, I am back with 2 more questions!

1- I have started breeding some Pokemon and was wondering if the starting stats reflect anything or show that one will be better than another? I have a spreadsheet to mark egg#, gender, nature, characteristic, ability, and then the stats. And no matter what species it seems to be 6's, 5's and 4, but some are at all 6's, and I am just wondering if its reflective of iv's or anything at all..

Thanks to all, this is really starting to get a bit clearer, and I have been studying the guides, faqs and drooling with envy over the war stories from this past weekend.
Really is making these games I love even more deep, interesting and I hope to be around these forums for a long time and get to know you all better!
At level 1, the possible IV ranges for a given stat are so wide that it's almost useless. If you're breeding for 31s, then you can use the Subway Judge for that, or upload your breeds to Pokécheck to get exact values for all of them.

Also, I strongly recommend not using anything you got on the GTS, especially if it's something you thought was suspicious; there are a lot of hacks on there, and it's not worth risking disqualification when there are so many users on here that are willing to provide you with free Pokémon.

I'm prepping for the Hawaii LCQ and I'm retooling my drought team.

What's the best thread to post in? Here? Make a new topic? Different thread? Just solicit PMs?

I went 4/4 at the regionals, and was a hax/dumb@$$ mistake away from 6/2. So I'm fundamentally ok with the concept of my team. But it obviously could use some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)