Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Another question: This is along the same lines of what winterpetrel asked, but if I don't plan to use any Hidden Power on a specific team's Zapdos, is it worth the 1-point IV difference to RNG for a HP Ice spread for future versatility (to avoid having to play through Pt/HG/SS again in the likely event that I'll want a HP Ice Zapdos on a future team)?
Having a IV 30 in Atk and Def doesn't even change Zapdos's stats at level 50. Unless you actually invest any EVs into Defense, anyways. So it can't hurt to do it.

Just wanted to clarify some things regarding when modifications of stats occur:

Modifiers like Trick Room, Tailwind, Swift Swim/Chlorophll/Sand Rush, and by extension Thunder Wave, all take effect the turn after they happen, but Quash/After You do not?

I also have some confusion regarding Reflect and Light Screen, but I do not know how to ask them without being really confusing, so here are some probably just as confusing scenarios to try and illustrate what I am trying to say.

Scenario 1, you have a Ferrothorn and the opponent has a Cresselia. This is a new turn. The Cresselia moves first and uses Reflect. The Ferrothorn moves second and uses Power Whip. Question 1: Is this Power Whip at full power or is Reflect factored in the calculation?

In scenario 2, say at the beginning of a turn, you have a Hariyama and a Metagross, and the opponent has a Cresselia, and Reflect is active. The Hariyama is fastest because hypothetical and uses Brick Break, destroying the Refect. Question 2: is this Brick Break at full power, or is Reflect factored in? Next, the Metagross, being the second fastest, goes next and uses Meteor Mash on the Cresselia. Question 3: does the Reflect still linger and thus count in damage calculation, like a speed modifier does when deciding turn order (in my understanding), or will the Meteor Mash be at full power?

Sorry for the basic questions, I just want to make sure my understanding of these concepts is accurate.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Speed changes take effect at the end of the turn.

Power Whip will have Reflect factored in. I am unsure about whether or not Brick Break will be full power but the Meteor Mash will be at full power.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Team Rocket Elite said:
The official site says this about the second tiebreaker:

2. Average Percentage of HP Remaining
If one player’s team has a higher average percentage of HP remaining, that player wins the game.
If both players’ teams have the same average HP remaining, the result of the game is determined by amount of HP remaining, as described below.

How does this actually work?
The second tiebreaker is the percentage of total HP remaining across all Pokemon, even fainted Pokemon. Basically sum up the current HP of all your Pokemon and divide by the sum of the max HP of all 4 of your Pokemon. This is rounded down to the nearest percentage and the higher value wins. If there is a tie, the third tiebreaker is applied. This means if a trainer is down to a single full HP Ludicolo against a Leech Seeded Blissey, Blissey can easily win the second tiebreaker at 7/8th max HP.

The take away from this is a living Blissey or Chansey is a huge advantage for the second tiebreaker and hurts a lot if KO'd. A last man standing Shedinja will pretty much always lose if it can't KO the rest of the opponent's team by the time limit. If you think things are going to go down to the second tiebreaker, aim to maximize your current total HP and minimize opponent total HP not percentages.

More details here:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4202967&postcount=2857

In scenario 2, say at the beginning of a turn, you have a Hariyama and a Metagross, and the opponent has a Cresselia, and Reflect is active. The Hariyama is fastest because hypothetical and uses Brick Break, destroying the Refect. Question 2: is this Brick Break at full power, or is Reflect factored in? Next, the Metagross, being the second fastest, goes next and uses Meteor Mash on the Cresselia. Question 3: does the Reflect still linger and thus count in damage calculation, like a speed modifier does when deciding turn order (in my understanding), or will the Meteor Mash be at full power?
Brick Break's text actually says it destroyed the wall before it says super effective, not very effective, etc. Based on that, I believe Brick Break hits at full power as will Meteor Mash.

Yeah, I saw his RMT and just wanted to know if it was possible. It's interesting, but that Snorlax is just easy to either ignore or right out kill.

Thanks for the clarifications! Now for more questions!

How do byes affect the Opponent's Win % and Opp's Opp's Win %?
Like, just say a player defeats one of those super cool people who earned 2 byes from a Regional or whatever, how do those byes count when calculating those above numbers? Are those byes counted as players, and if so, what would be the eventual ranking of these bye-people (the fake people whose defeat is represented by the bye a person earns)? Do they defeat all of their following hypothetical opponents, ending up with X-1 or X-2 records, or is this just really silly and way too complicated? If this concept is not weird, how do these bye-people compare to real people with the same X-1 or X-2 records, respectively, considering those bye-people only fight 1 or 2 real people?

I only ask this because, according to official TPCi tournament operatiosn guide([1]), Opps Win % is the average of all your opponent's individual win %, as is Opp's Opp's Win %, which seems to get funky when byes are involved (byes are not even mentioned). Does anybody know how this works, or if it is even relevant? {Sorry if this has been asked before, I could not find anything using the Search tool}

[1] Section 3.1.5.1 Determining Tiebreakers.

Also, where is the best place to practice against higher tier players?
I know all practice is good practice, and using a variety of different places is key (PO, GBU at 2 am to fight those ever clever Japanese, various WiFi tournies), but it is even better to play against the strongest possible, especially when planning to go to a tournament as tough as Nationals. Do the super-pro actually play on PO consistently, or is it one of those "you have to badger them on PO once you get enough notierity in the community for them to accept your challenge so they know your not just some random scrubs who thinks he's hot shit because he beat the elite four" type of thing? If not PO, is there some other medium by which high level players practice, or do high level players not really need to practice due to their level of understanding of the game? I am definitely not ready to compete against these type of players, but I am curious for the future if I start to get decent at the game.

The first question is an incredible good one, and I'm not sure on the exact answer, but I think that it counts the byes as a person (so if you go 5-2 with 2 byes, it count 5 wins and not 3). I can't be 100% sure on this though since this is the first year VGC is doing byes, I will get back to you with a more definite answer.

As for the best place to practice, I still find PO to be a good medium for practice. I personally really dislike it even though I'm on almost all the time when it comes down to Nationals and Worlds. A lot of excellent practice players play on it. I personally like practicing on GBU the most since I can get a feel of my team on an actual game / DS rather than a simulator online. Wi-Fi tournaments (the recent International Challenge) are great too, but we've only had 2 so far and probably won't have one for a long time. Weekly Wi-Fi tournaments held by Smogon/Skarmbliss are decent as well.

PO is fine if you want to start off, there are a lot of good players on there.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
For your first question, according to what I read your opponent's win % is calculated with the byes counting as 100%. So that way it's better than actually beating people and doesn't risk screwing up your record.

Not sure about where to practice, I always do it on Wi-Fi just because you see a wider variety of players and strategies there.

I will confirm that the byes you earn from your performance at a Regionals are treated as a perfect resistance.

Also, where is the best place to practice against higher tier players?
You might try the Skarmbliss or Smogon Server's on Pokemon Online.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The perfect resistance byes are why they are so great, you are replacing an opponent who is likely to have a losing record with someone who goes x-0, even assuming you would have won both rounds anyway.

Having a IV 30 in Atk and Def doesn't even change Zapdos's stats at level 50. Unless you actually invest any EVs into Defense, anyways. So it can't hurt to do it.
I was planning on giving it 4 Def EVs, which I would obviously need to put elsewhere if I have a 30 IV. Is it still worth it?

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I suppose I should ask how many different stats are you placing EVs into for this Zapdos?

If you invest in 3 stats, you shouldn't have 4 spare EVs to place into defense.

If you invest in 4 stats, you will have 4 EVs wasted if straight 31s, so it wouldn't really matter if the Def is IV 30 here.

So, the only way I can think of that you would really be losing out on stats would be if you were investing into HP, Def, SpA, SpD, and Speed. Even then, it's just one stat point.

So I'd say that it's still a good investment to make your Zapdos have a proper Hidden Power, if you are RNGing for it.

Interesting question: let's say a 14-year old Seniors champion wins at a Regional, but then turns 15 between Regionals and Nationals. Is he still a Senior?
It doesn't really matter how old you are. Just what year you were born in, which translates into your age. So since turning 15 from 14 won't affect the year you were born in, it doesn't really make a difference.

On a similar note, if I was to turn 15 between Nats and Worlds(High hopes!), I would still get to play in the Seniors division?

Infinity.Cypher

VGCPL Champion
June 30th. Registration starts on the 29th but you should still be able to register on Saturday morning.
Friday should be registration, Saturday is Late Reg and swiss Rounds and Sunday is Top Cut. Usually.
Just want to confirm one more time, if I arrive to Indy on Saturday Morning, I would be able to register for Nats? And would their be a limit to the amount of players able to register Saturday?

In addition, did Saturday late registration happen with Nats 2011?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)