Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Japanese rules were released at the beginning of October. It wasn't confirmed that North America and Europe would be using the same rules until 2010 I believe. The actual dates and locations in the US and Europe were released in April about four weeks before the first event in Seattle.
Why wouldn't they have been using the same rules? Isn't it basically hosted in the end by the same company, TPCI? Have the rules ever been different between North America/Europe and Japan for the VGC? Should we expect that the rules will be the same in North America/Europe as they are in Japan for 2011?

Sorry for all the questions, curious about the VGC. I came in midway to this year's VGC and only participated in Newark (at least I got to participate, was definitely worth it!). I would love to be much more prepared next year and make it to nationals to be able to actually meet all of you people!

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Why wouldn't they have been using the same rules? Isn't it basically hosted in the end by the same company, TPCI? Have the rules ever been different between North America/Europe and Japan for the VGC? Should we expect that the rules will be the same in North America/Europe as they are in Japan for 2011?

Sorry for all the questions, curious about the VGC. I came in midway to this year's VGC and only participated in Newark (at least I got to participate, was definitely worth it!). I would love to be much more prepared next year and make it to nationals to be able to actually meet all of you people!
WCS in Japan is run by Nintendo of Japan, not by TPCi. TPCi MAY choose to use different rules as final say goes to them for worlds, though that would create some issues.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, I doubt they'll switch up rules between regions considering they didn't this year. I also only joined the VGC bandwagon late (just after locations were announced) so I'm looking forward to following it from early on as well!

WCS in Japan is run by Nintendo of Japan, not by TPCi. TPCi MAY choose to use different rules as final say goes to them for worlds, though that would create some issues.
Yeah, I doubt they'll switch up rules between regions considering they didn't this year. I also only joined the VGC bandwagon late (just after locations were announced) so I'm looking forward to following it from early on as well!
Thank you very much for explaining this. Having a better idea about how to prepare for next year instead of leaving myself around a month of preparation.

I heard that VGC in the USA is open to non-USA residents, so I was wondering if it's possible for a person from somewhere like Singapore to enter the USA VGC, or is it only open to USA/Canada?

My country isn't included in VGC and probably won't be anytime soon, so I have this crazy idea of flying to the USA just to take part one day when I have enough cash. =P

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I am fairly certain there is no country restriction at any VGC (Europe or American) except Japan.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Does anyone have a handy link that shows all of the prizes for winning the various tournament levels? The world prizes are what I'm most interested in seeing, including those from previous years.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Does anyone have a handy link that shows all of the prizes for winning the various tournament levels? The world prizes are what I'm most interested in seeing, including those from previous years.
2010:

here are the World Prizes http://www.pokemonvgc.com/en/faq-worlds.php

then to view the various prizes for each VGC event held this year click the one you're interested in on this page: http://www.pokemonvgc.com/en/events.php

Edit: this page just lists the prizes overall for the national events and first LCQ http://www.pokemonvgc.com/en/faq-nationals.php

unfortunately I can't locate the ones for previous years, sorry.

For both 2008 and 2009 Worlds, the Top 8 of each age division won a special Nintendo DS(i). The 08 one was orange with Pikachu in the corner, and the 09 one had the Worlds logo of that year. I think they also won some smaller additional prizes, though the DS's are the main thing.

For the 08 Qualifiers, the Top 8 of each age division won a free trip to Florida to compete in Worlds. The winner won a Wii and several wiimotes.

can you repost your RMT? because I completely changed my team. And I wanted to just make my current RMt kinda a rough draft then just repost it (because its completely different)

Does anyone know how exactly Nintendo is able to connect the DS units to the TVs to show the matches? I'm guessing it has something to do with those "boxes" that sit on the table between each player (the white rectangular thing with both DS units connected to it). What port on the DS is used to connect them to the "box?" Are there A/V cables running out from the bottom of the box/table and leading to the TVs, or anything like that?

I'm just curious.

Does anyone know how exactly Nintendo is able to connect the DS units to the TVs to show the matches? I'm guessing it has something to do with those "boxes" that sit on the table between each player (the white rectangular thing with both DS units connected to it). What port on the DS is used to connect them to the "box?" Are there A/V cables running out from the bottom of the box/table and leading to the TVs, or anything like that?

I'm just curious.
There is a nice THICK USB cord that runs from the DS slot 1 (DS cart slot) to a computer tower on it's side that is inside the "Box". From there they just hook up the S-video/HDMI cables from the tower to the TV I think the hard-wire to the computer disables Wireless for a dedicated connection to the other DS - because when you go into a wireless battle, the connection strength is always red. ALWAYS. But you will have a perfect connection to ONLY that person at the table. Sorta like how the Link cable works for the GB/GBC/GBA.

Hope that helps.

Here is a picture:

There is a nice THICK USB cord that runs from the DS slot 1 (DS cart slot) to a computer tower on it's side that is inside the "Box". From there they just hook up the S-video/HDMI cables from the tower to the TV I think the hard-wire to the computer disables Wireless for a dedicated connection to the other DS - because when you go into a wireless battle, the connection strength is always red. ALWAYS. But you will have a perfect connection to ONLY that person at the table. Sorta like how the Link cable works for the GB/GBC/GBA.

Hope that helps.

Here is a picture:
That makes a lot of sense; I never thought about the possibility of accidentally connecting to the wrong person, but your theory would prevent that. FYI, the "box" I was referring to was the large white object with the table number sitting atop it in this picture. So there's a computer in there, huh? If the game card slot is occupied by the USB cable, then where do the competitors place their game cartridges?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the subject; I haven't been able to play in any of the VGCs so far as the location selection has not been kind to me :(.

So there's a computer in there, huh? If the game card slot is occupied by the USB cable, then where do the competitors place their game cartridges?
There are card slots on the box. That's where you stick the game.

I believe that one in the picture has 2 small card slots visible.

That makes a lot of sense; I never thought about the possibility of accidentally connecting to the wrong person, but your theory would prevent that. FYI, the "box" I was referring to was the large white object with the table number sitting atop it in this picture. So there's a computer in there, huh? If the game card slot is occupied by the USB cable, then where do the competitors place their game cartridges?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the subject; I haven't been able to play in any of the VGCs so far as the location selection has not been kind to me :(.
These two pictures use the same computer - One has it inside a booth, and the other has it on top of a table. The set-up is the same on both though.
http://pokegym.net/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=35567
http://www.pokemonworldchampionships.com/2010/files/content/media/images/day1/vgc_lcq6.jpg

But, anyway - there are two adapter slots on the computer tower itself, where you insert your game cartridges. It then will just run the game you insert through the USB cord connected to the console as if it where inside the console itself - like through a long extension cord. Each slot is configured to connect to a certain DS (the one closest to the inserted slot)

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I don't know if this qualifies as simple, but does anyone know where i would start looking in order to build a list of when information came out about the past two year's vgcs? I don't know where the '9 threads are. It just seems that 99 percent of queries about vgc leading up to the first main info dump are 'when will this info be released or expected' i just think a list of past info leaks would be useful.

I don't know if this qualifies as simple, but does anyone know where i would start looking in order to build a list of when information came out about the past two year's vgcs? I don't know where the '9 threads are. It just seems that 99 percent of queries about vgc leading up to the first main info dump are 'when will this info be released or expected' i just think a list of past info leaks would be useful.
99% of my posts are VGC related, so check my post history to look into the archive threads.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/search.php?do=finduser&u=13178

Hope that helps!

This is pretty much TGC related, but I'm not sure where else I'd put it, anyways...

I was looking through my sister's collection of cards, and all of I sudden I fumble upon this!

Front

Back

Does anyone know who this is signed by?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)