Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have several questions that pertain to multiple pokemon (tho I only mention 1)

#1:
Is there pokemon who can't get certain combinations of egg moves?
For example Ferrothorn not being able to have Spikes, Stealth Rock, AND Leach Seed in one moveset, but through Gen 4 trading any of the two are possible.

To get around this I realized that I may be able to do a series of transform glitches in order to get a pokemon in the same egg group all 3 in Gen 4 and then trade them up.

#2:
Does this work and would it be allowed in the vgc? (they are egg moves anyway)

I also realize I may just not know how to egg chain properly, so what am I doing wrong then?

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I have several questions that pertain to multiple pokemon (tho I only mention 1)

Is there pokemon who can't get certain combinations of egg moves?
For example Ferrothorn not being able to have Spikes, Stealth Rock, AND Leach Seed in one moveset, but through Gen 4 trading any of the two are possible.

To get around this I realized that I may be able to do a series of transform glitches in order to get a pokemon in the same egg group all 3 in Gen 4 and then trade them up. Does this work and would it be allowed in the vgc? (they are egg moves anyway)

I also realize I may just not know how to egg chain properly.
Moves need to be obtainable legally. Therefore moves obtained via a glitch like that should not be used.

I know that moves such as rock slide and heat wave do 75% damage in double battles but is this just when there are two opposing pokemon or does it do standard damage when there is only one remaining opposing pokemon after KOing the first three.

EDIT: One more thing. With the bring 6 choose 4, can you bring two of the same pokemon as long as you only use one in each battle. Like if I wanted a special attacking Stunfisk some matches and a physical attacking Stunfisk is some other matches, can I have both on my team sheet or will they get upset about that?

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
You may only have one of each Pokemon on a team sheet. So you can't use two Stunfisk like that.

Also, Sky Drop was banned in the Japanese rules.

does mightyena get some better moves in B/W. i mean hes mightyena, hes gone through 2 generations as worthless its time that old dog learnt some new tricks.

Would obtaining TMs via AR be considered cheating in VGC?

Also, are Dream Wold Abilities allowed?
Anything involving an AR would probably be considered 'cheating' if it were somehow detected. That being said, there's probably not a problem with it unless the AR somehow leaves a 'mark' on your game.

I don't know why you'd need to use it to get TMs this time around though, since all the TMs are reusable. You just need to go collect them once. I have all of them except the battle subway ones, and all of those suck, possibly bar explosion.

Dream World, as far as I know, is technically allowed as long as the DW pokemon in question has already been released. That being said, none of the Unova pokemon have been released in DW, so this is kind of a moot point.

I use a Gengar & Black Sludge with Trick & Venoshock. Does Black Sludge activate Venoshock's effect, or does it have to be an actual poisoning?

I've had moderate success with it, but I'm still not sure it's actually working.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I use a Gengar & Black Sludge with Trick & Venoshock. Does Black Sludge activate Venoshock's effect, or does it have to be an actual poisoning?

I've had moderate success with it, but I'm still not sure it's actually working.
Wrong forum. Ask in Dragonspiral Tower, not the VGC subforum.

But Black Sludge is not poisoning, it doesn't double Venoshock's power.

Don't know if anyone already asked this, but I will anyway: is there anywhere where a 5th gen IV Calculator or RNG Reporter is available, or anywhere where such projects are underway?

I figured this would be the Q&A thread to ask this in, seeing as how these factors directly relate to making an in-game team for the VGC.

EDIT: Forget about it, I found all that I needed. Sorry to throw in such a pointless post... :(

I FINALLY got 3 of my 4 pokemon for a competitive team with great IV's via RNG. So now I have some questions about EV training (and 1 about PP):

1. Is there any way whatsoever to double-check my EV's? I'm sure I'll keep track of them but I'm a paranoid guy and it'd be awesome to be 100% sure nothing got messed up
2. EV gains are only from WILD battles, right? Not against trainers?
3. If I have pokemon A start the battle, then switch to pokemon B, who will get the EV-gains?
4. If a pokemon has EXP share or something like that but are never switched out, they don't get any EV gains, correct?
5. Each move can have its PP increased up to 3 (i think). Is there a max per POKEMON, or can I up all 4 moves on each pokemon by 3 each?

1. You can use an Action Replay
2. No, you're wrong, you can get them against trainers as long as they aren't IR or Wifi Battles.
3. Both will gain EVs, the EVs are not split but given to both. If you would get two against something (assuming no PKRS, Macho Brace or Power Items) then switch out both will gain two.
4. They gain the same amount of EVs as being switched in and out.
5. You can use PP Up three times on each move for each move for the pokemon. There is no limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)