Ask A Simple Question, Get A Simple Answer - Pokemon Showdown! Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okuu

Blame [me] for Global Warming!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
Hey all - is it intended that in non-pokebank Egg Moves that are technically available but don't have any parent combinations at the moment, such as Stealth Rock on Skarmory, are allowed?
In non-Pokebank Gen VI tiers (such as our Gen VI OU), it should be the case that currently-unavailable movesets for Pokemon are disallowed. So, in our Gen VI OU, Skarmory shouldn't be able to use Stealth Rock, as it's a move tutor skill from Gen V, and because Skarm (to my knowledge) can't receive it via breeding.

It does appear, however, that Skarmory is currently allowed to use it in Gen VI OU, for some reason unknown to me.

In non-Pokebank Gen VI tiers (such as our Gen VI OU), it should be the case that currently-unavailable movesets for Pokemon are disallowed. So, in our Gen VI OU, Skarmory shouldn't be able to use Stealth Rock, as it's a move tutor skill from Gen V, and because Skarm (to my knowledge) can't receive it via breeding.

It does appear, however, that Skarmory is currently allowed to use it in Gen VI OU, for some reason unknown to me.
It can technically receive it via breeding (or could in genV, so there's no reason why it can't now), which is probably the technicality that allows it to use it in Gen6 OU. The dispute I have is that even if it were technically possible to pass down via breeding, the only possible parents for it are other Skarmory, and the Archeops line, both of which receive it only via tutors too, so it's not possible to breed it on to a Skarmory, so regardless of it being listed as an egg move, it's still unavailable.

Okuu

It can technically receive it via breeding (or could in genV, so there's no reason why it can't now), which is probably the technicality that allows it to use it in Gen6 OU. The dispute I have is that even if it were technically possible to pass down via breeding, the only possible parents for it are other Skarmory, and the Archeops line, both of which receive it only via tutors too, so it's not possible to breed it on to a Skarmory, so regardless of it being listed as an egg move, it's still unavailable.
Yeah, I was more leaning into the 'technically not possible' line, as it's impossible to get an Archeops here. I was just unsure if anything new happened to be able to get it and breed it off.

UnicornDemon

Banned deucer.
This is a thread for questions you may have about the simulator.

Before posting in this thread, make sure it belongs here and not in one of the following threads:
Bug Reports
Technical Support
Suggestions

When posting in this thread, follow the following guidelines:

1. Your answers should contain at least a brief explanation, even if it was the simplest of questions.
2. While answering Yes or No question, please quote the question you're referring to. It gets confusing otherwise.
3. Please check the simulator page onsite before asking your question. This page contains two FAQ pages: the general FAQ and an FAQ on the staff.
4. This is not a thread for Pokemon questions. If you have questions about Pokemon, try using this thread.

It is entirely normal for your rating to drop after 15 games. This is because of decay, which allows your rating to re-adjust over time to represent your true rating more accurately. It is not a ladder glitch.
Do you less less points- speaking about ladder rankings- if you lose a match than if you forfeit? I've notice opponents who are losing either disconnect or let time run out rather than just forfeiting, and I wonder why they do this.

Yeah, I was more leaning into the 'technically not possible' line, as it's impossible to get an Archeops here. I was just unsure if anything new happened to be able to get it and breed it off.
All the fossils can be found by using rock smash in the basement of glittering cave, actually, including the Unova ones; doesn't make Skarmory get SR though, as Archen/Archeops got SR from the tutor too - you'd always have to use a tutor to give Skarmory SR, he just could coincidentally have it passed down via breeding if you'd tutored a parent..

MJB

Sup Peeps
Do you less less points- speaking about ladder rankings- if you lose a match than if you forfeit? I've notice opponents who are losing either disconnect or let time run out rather than just forfeiting, and I wonder why they do this.
no, all that matters is if you win or lose. How many turns, whether its forfeit or timeout etc are irrelevant.

Okuu

All the fossils can be found by using rock smash in the basement of glittering cave, actually, including the Unova ones; doesn't make Skarmory get SR though, as Archen/Archeops got SR from the tutor too - you'd always have to use a tutor to give Skarmory SR, he just could coincidentally have it passed down via breeding if you'd tutored a parent..
Huh, I actually didn't know that. I just thought there was a forced Aerodactyl fossil down there (found one on my first smash, nothing else in 3 visits).

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Huh, I actually didn't know that. I just thought there was a forced Aerodactyl fossil down there (found one on my first smash, nothing else in 3 visits).
Get the national Pokedex. My items slot is filled up with Root Fossils (I'm on X) so I think that's proof enough. Cursed rocks ;-;

How do I sign in with this account. I've tried putting in this name then password but it didn't accept it...

How do I sign in with this account. I've tried putting in this name then password but it didn't accept it...
You don't, you create an account, and most people like to use the same name. Your Showdown account and your Smogon account aren't the same thing.

I'm from Belgium and I can't connect to pokemon showdown.
Am I banned or has everyone this problem cause I didn't do
anything to get banned

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
When will Zarel start selling his body to afford a better server?
(or how many ads/donations would it take to get a better server)

MJB

Sup Peeps
I know Zarel personally accepts donations if you contact him.

Anyway, not everything is always as simple as "we need a better server" (infact it is rarely this simple in the computer industry) so just be patient.

Or panic, either way, idgaf

Well i heard belly drum aqua jet azumarill is legal now? i know it was banned bc outside of a glitch in a previous gen it was unobtainable. but if it is legally obtainable via breeding in gen VI, has anyone done it and how did their breeding chain go? do u basically breed the egg moves 1 by 1 onto a female marril? i was thinking of using kabuto and poliwhirl males, do i need special items or what not just to pass the egg moves?

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
but if it is legally obtainable via breeding in gen VI, has anyone done it and how did their breeding chain go?
Breeding mechanics have been changed slightly, so that females can pass egg moves as well. It works like this:
Get a female belly drum marill somehow.
Get an elligible male parent with aqua jet.
Breed.
Profit.

EDIT: PIIKACHUUUUUUU!!!!

Why does timers on Pokemon Showdown decrease?

Playing with my terribad doubles team that i made for fun
Only have toxic/quake Gliscor left against Skarmory and 3 other pokemon that are impossible for Gliscor to kill

I won though, idk why.

His timer kept getting shorter, 80 seconds 60 seconds 40 seconds (each turn it would start lower and lower)

Until he eventually only had 20 seconds to make his turn and he ran out of time O.o

I feel bad about it tbh.

But what could cause the timer to drop like that? I never seen it start at any amount lower than 150.

This is vid, but don't feel you need to watch it, it's not for entertainment it's for proof.

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This is normal, if you (or your opponent in this case) take very long to make your moves your timer reduces a bit the next round. This is here to prevent your opponent from using his 150 seconds on every move, making a normally short battle take hours, because there are people who do that on purpose (timestalling).
And yea, your opponent took very long to make his moves, which caused his timer to decrease every time, while you didn't.

This is normal, if you (or your opponent in this case) take very long to make your moves your timer reduces a bit the next round. This is here to prevent your opponent from using his 150 seconds on every move, making a normally short battle take hours, because there are people who do that on purpose (timestalling).
And yea, your opponent took very long to make his moves, which caused his timer to decrease every time, while you didn't.
thank you so much it was baffling me hard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)