Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer MK IV: Read the FAQ in the Opening Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

haunter

Banned deucer.
this question has been asked already, rocky helmet and iron barbs only deal damage upon physical contact. Stone edge, despite being calculated upon the Atk stat, isn't a contact move.

Well I've been wanting to atleast battle a select few pokemon so I could trade for them through the GTS. Without having them in the Pokedex, you can't search them in the GTS so I'm wondering, can you battle every Pokemon in the game in White version?

I don't have black version or anyone around me who does so I can't do the black forest link I don't believe.

I'm looking for lots of Pokemon, but some of the select are:

Gible
Aron
Bagon

Battle or catch, without using black.
It's possible to find Bagon and Aron in White Forrest but I believe you'll either have to connect via wireless to someone's Pokemon Black game or restart your game entirely if you can't already find them there. Bagon can also be found in the Dream World, but only after you get 10,000 points.

As for in-game trainers with those Pokemon, I know Cynthia has a Garchomp but it would be more difficult for you to get one of them off of the GTS that a Gible. You can always go here to see if anyone can trade you those Pokemon:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3455714

Shadow Force is useful on Arceus, but that's still a bit shaky because Blissey or Dialga can easily come in when you vanish and then either hit you with Thunder Wave or Toxic or even KO you outright in Dialga's case.

I am just curious about this, but what utility (if any) does Dig, Dive, Fly, etc... Have in completive battles?
Toxistalling with these is pretty good. (especially since I won a Challenge Cup battle with Toxic-Fly Latios) As for Dig, thats Durant's only Ground-type move. (And Ninjask/Shedinja's only Grond-type move.)

It's possible to find Bagon and Aron in White Forrest but I believe you'll either have to connect via wireless to someone's Pokemon Black game or restart your game entirely if you can't already find them there. Bagon can also be found in the Dream World, but only after you get 10,000 points.

As for in-game trainers with those Pokemon, I know Cynthia has a Garchomp but it would be more difficult for you to get one of them off of the GTS that a Gible. You can always go here to see if anyone can trade you those Pokemon:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3455714
Thank you. How does everyone feel about action replay? Not to boost all EVs but to get ahold of those team Pokemon a little easier, and get things like berries/leftovers?

AR is usually frowned opon. Some people use it for cloning when they don't feel like losing their almighty perfect IV Timid Reshiram by trading it to someone.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
What is the difference between "Heavy Offense" and "Hyper Offense"?

Are they not the exact same thing?

There is actually no straight line between the two and both lack a clear definition, but from my understanding hyper offense is usually Dual Screens + Set-up sweepers or something similar.

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What is the difference between "Heavy Offense" and "Hyper Offense"?

Are they not the exact same thing?
Hyper is Dual Screens with Stat-up attackers such as Lucario and Dragonite. Hyper offense usually has attackers with Life Orb and no choiced mons. Heavy Offense is more entry hazard laying then multiple choiced or LOed attackers

Stratos

Banned deucer.
ou hail stall is not a viable choice period, but if you're deadset, you can do much better than walrein. Every team carries 3+ lefties pokes, so his tactic is pretty much useless.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
I am just curious about this, but what utility (if any) does Dig, Dive, Fly, etc... Have in completive battles?
They have a few niche roles in doubles and triples. While it telegraphs your move, it doesn't tell your opponent which Pokemon you are attacking (and can usually hit non-adjacent opponents). They're also useful for forcing a conclusion to Protect wars (Protecting twice in a row is rare due to the shaky success chance).

A downside is that multi-turn moves like these can be defeated. Fly and Bounce users can be hit by Sky Uppercut, Thunder, Gust, Whirlwind, Twister, Smack Down, and Hurricane. Dig users are hit by Earthquake and Magnitude. Dive is hit by Surf and Whirlpool. They can also be defeated by Lock on, Mind Reader, and Pokemon with the ability No Guard.

One notable exception is Shadow Force, as it can hit right through Protect and Detect.

Competitively the best of these moves are Bounce (due to the Paralysis chance) and Shadow Force (for the ability to ignore Protect and Detect). Also in singles multi-turn moves are mostly outclassed except in the case of stall wars.

this is more of a question of advice than anything else.

even though I already have a 106 streak in the battle subway, I like to make different teams and see what kind of streak I can get (I prefer subway battling to wifi, so I do most of my "competitive" battling there) and the main sweeper on the team I'm creating now looks like this:

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Nature: Adamant
Max Hp and Max Attack EV's
-Spore
-Substitute
-Swords Dance
-Mach Punch

I'm fairly certain, combined with my lead that this strategy will work perfectly....except for the clear problem that I can't hit ghost types. I'm looking for a general-purpose Ghost type counter for my third pokemon in the team (Scizor is not at good at this in the Subway as he is in wi-fi I would assume because Pursuit is his main weapon, and the computer won't switch out). Any suggestions?

(note.....I'm not really asking for criticism of my team, just for help coming up with a good counter for ghost types on the subway)

Stratos

Banned deucer.
the best ghost counter you're ever gonna get is ScarfTar

Tar @ scarf
sand stream
jolly (for gengar)
252 spe / 252 atk / 4 penis
-crunch
-stone edge
-blah
-blah

pick your fave coverage for the blahs, usually one is pursuit but of course that is unnecessary in the battle subway.

Use Bulk Up instead of Swords Dance on that Breloom set. It raises both Atk and Def and you'll have plenty of time to set up because your opponent will be asleep most of the time.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Is Walrein still a viable choice for OU hail stall?
ou hail stall is not a viable choice period, but if you're deadset, you can do much better than walrein. Every team carries 3+ lefties pokes, so his tactic is pretty much useless.
Not to sound like a complete snob jerkface, I feel like this answer isn't necessarily true! Hail stall is certainly viable and can work in OU. The first resource that comes to mind is Delko's BW OU Hail Guide, which contains some decent strategies for stalling in the Hail. Speaking of Delko, his team (Christmas) is a good example of how Hail can survive and thrive in the OU metagame. While not a stall team, Tomohawk9's Team: Penguin is another excellent Hail-based team that should help you think up some ideas.

However, I would agree with Pwnemon that Walrein is not the best Pokemon to use in Hail. It expands on a lot of weaknesses that Hail teams are naturally susceptible to; it's not a very good team player. I would recommend working with mons like Blissey, Heatran, and Reuniclus at first to get a good grasp for how Hail operates in OU. Once you've got that down, you may want to experiment with Walrein! I would say it's a Pokemon that can work, but it is difficult to master, in my opinion. Best of luck!

Been out of pokemon for awhile, getting bored, heard mischievous heart sableye has been released, what's a dude to do?

Except ask you if there are any legal female mischievous heart sableyes released, and possibly available on the gts.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
If you have an account on the Global Link website, you can get one in the Dream World. If not, you'll have to find one in WiFi.

that depends on the form / set. Any Arceus using a physical set is going to want a Jolly nature to Speed-tie with other Arceus; special sets like to use a Timid nature for the same reason. Alternatively defensive sets will use one of a + Defense or Special Defense nature (i.e. Bold and Calm). Hope this helped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)