Ask a Simple Question; Get a Simple Answer & General Resources (OU Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I transfer pokemon from platinum to black/white and that pokemon has the move giga drain, does the base power of that move increase?

Edit: Also, what's the pokesav name for the move "Low Sweep"? I can't seem to find it. (found out, Ankle Sweep)

1. in short - yes.

2. Not the right forum to ask; besides, pokesav is no longer updated anyway. Get its successor, search via google.

Shiny's

I recently had received a shiny/adamant/ mudkip that knows te move curse in a trade and an adamant/shiny metang. Would these two pokemon be reliable for competitive play?

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
the adamant mudkip is not useless, but it's definitely not cut out for OU; swampert has almost no place in OU right now frankly. you might have more luck if you take them to a lower tier. the metang... metagross is not great right now, but it's workable

also, if this is all on cartridges, you might want to think about the metagame you plan to play in. VGC has its own subforum where you can ask simple questions if they relate more closely to that meta than they do to this one

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
How does Unaware affect Foul Play and Punishment? Does it ignore the opponent's boosts for calculating the base power of these moves?

If Unaware not doing anything useful vs Stored Power Espeon sets any precedent, the base power of Foul Play and Punishment will remain buffed.

alkinesthetase

if they're being discussed, "a forum, a forum" will be the place to find them, otherwise you can consider opening those threads yourself

I'm bored at work and I'm kind having a mini existential crisis as far as what I am doing on smogon goes. It just dawned on me that I have been here for almost 2 years now, being pretty reasonably active, and pretty much have accomplished nothing. Despite probably thousands of battles online, I have only gotten better marginally better at battling, and no where near good enough to tutor, rate, vote, or just just hang around spouting my success. Worse yet I can't really go into any other discipline at smogon, I can't write for a hill of beans, I am no where near a professional artist, I am a mere novice when it comes to programing, and I am not verbose enough to hang in CAP or get brownie points here. I'm sort of a Jack of all trades but master of one. It bothers me that I have nearly no prospect of upward mobility, outside of just being here for 5 years and maybe getting a ladybug like Mario with Lazers. Idk maybe someone can give me some inspiration or push me along the right path, because clearly I am not heading in the right direction.

alkinesthetase

ask yourself what makes you come to smogon. obviously there must be something since you have 1.7k posts. if you enjoy chilling here then that's enough, no? not everyone needs to strive to be a ladder king or define the next metagame era. er i guess it's kind of ironic that i say this since i just got badged, but even so, chasing badges is not necessarily what people are looking for when they visit smogon - it sure wasn't what i had in mind.

if that doesn't quite answer the question, ask yourself why you play pokemon. do you mainly want to get better? do you just enjoy thinking about it? (that's me in a nutshell) do you want to explore something hitherto unexplored?

perhaps these questions won't give you any answers, but they might help you figure out what it is you want to accomplish on smogon. after all, we keep coming back here, so it must be for a reason

I'm bored at work and I'm kind having a mini existential crisis as far as what I am doing on smogon goes. It just dawned on me that I have been here for almost 2 years now, being pretty reasonably active, and pretty much have accomplished nothing. Despite probably thousands of battles online, I have only gotten better marginally better at battling, and no where near good enough to tutor, rate, vote, or just just hang around spouting my success. Worse yet I can't really go into any other discipline at smogon, I can't write for a hill of beans, I am no where near a professional artist, I am a mere novice when it comes to programing, and I am not verbose enough to hang in CAP or get brownie points here. I'm sort of a Jack of all trades but master of one. It bothers me that I have nearly no prospect of upward mobility, outside of just being here for 5 years and maybe getting a ladybug like Mario with Lazers. Idk maybe someone can give me some inspiration or push me along the right path, because clearly I am not heading in the right direction.

Really, you if you want a badge you should concentrate on a certain area and just focus on that. But really, do you feel like you need a badge? I want one but i'm fine without one; anyway your posts seem to be high quality so i'd say a community contributor badge isn't out of your reach.Also i'd say you don't need to be a brilliant battler to rate teams, i've had good fedback about my rates and I'm one of the worst battlers here. Sorry if this reply isn't what your looking for, but it's what I think

Lavos

Banned deucer.
I'm not going to lie to you and say that having a badge and a trophy isn't pretty damn cool, because it is. However, it's definitely not the reason I'm still here. I stick around Smogon because I love Pokemon and I love this community. If you feel the same way, there's your reason to keep posting. And I'm surprised you don't have any accolades yet, you seem to know your stuff as far as OU goes.

So, just asking, since it was deleted, is there a post count needed to post in the Sand Veil testing thread? Or do I need to play games to gain legitimacy?
It's possible some people may have a prejudice based on your post count, but there is no actual requirement for posting in the thread. If you have something useful to contribute, then go ahead and say it.

edit: If it got deleted then just reposting it wouldn't be the best idea. Make sure you didn't break any rules with your post, and take as much time as you feel you need to flesh your thoughts and presentation out. If you're still unsure whether or not it's okay, messaging a mod about it can't hurt.
It was the content, and I did re word my view point to be more in line. Just wanted to say thanks.

Been there, done that, made potential enemies out of Mods and Admins here i doing so. Maybe I can explain better.

Many times I have felt storngly about topics here on Smogon, and put my own two cents in. Sometimes they were accepted, sometimes they were not.

Sometimes they were so strongly objected against by "the powers that be", that they were deleted.

I stood my ground in the way you suggested, and tried to re-post, both by copy/paste of my original statement, and by trying to word it differently.

A smart person will most likely be able to tell if you just worded something differently, yet stating the exact same point you tried to make before.

Three things to remember here, like them, or not.

1) Mods and admins, if they think you are stupid (no offence) will just delete you stuff, and you don't have the autority to stop them. (Thank you to both Jabba and Haunter for teaching me this little lesson.)

2) Be sure if you re-worded something beyond your original post, that you have read further posts beyond that, to see if your point of view might be changed. Be open-minded.

3) Always stay on topic. I am guessing you were on topic, but if you just go re-stating or re-posting whatever it was that got deleted for whatever reason, you might be missing someone elses point that was made before. I am guessing you tried to stay on topic, but most mods and admins are aware of everything that goes on in all of the forums. Complaining about it here won't make it better. They will see it eventually, and it isn't going to help your cause. It's obvious you don't like it, and I know I didn't like it when it happened to me, but really, grow up, and move on. There are other topics here. Just be polite, and try again.

Post counts on Smogon do matter, at least some. If your post count is low here, you will really NEED to say something truly intelligent to be noticed, and taken into consideration by the community here. If you can pull off saying something that is really good though, people will see it, and take notice.

It's just like being a part of any community. Be a part of it, and try to help the community, as a whole, a better place. If you cannot immediately do that, lurk around for a while, and try to learn a few things. In other words, try to be socially functional around the people you choose to share your time with. Once you do, Smogon will be a great place to be.

Hope that helps you out a little more, Victor. Not trying to be mean, just trying to state the facts as I have learned them around here.

When i was looking through the Strategy dex i saw Gothitelle in a BL Tier. What is the BL tier because when i clicked it i didn't find a answer

When i was looking through the Strategy dex i saw Gothitelle in a BL Tier. What is the BL tier because when i clicked it i didn't find a answer
The BL Tier is a banlist for UU. It's basically what Ubers is for OU except there's a lot less stuff there and no one really plays BL matches as far as I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)