Ask a Simple Question; Get a Simple Answer & General Resources (OU Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
melvni:

f a Pokemon holding a choice item switches in while Magic Room is active, uses a move, uses a second move, and Magic Room ends, is it locked into the first move, the second move, or neither? I know that if Magic Room stops you from being locked into a move then you become locked into it again when the effect ends, but I've never seen the situation I outlined above explained (even if there's a good chance that the result is you get locked into the first move as would be expected).
For your Magic Room and choice item question: The answer is neither. Magic Room's effect prevents the choice item effect from affecting those moves, since Magic Room was still in effect as those moves were used. My description for Choice Band states, in part: "If there is a first move that the holder chose for use and that wasn't prevented from being used (and where the holder held this item as it started to use the move, since holder became active [...]), holder can't choose any other move for use (while holder is holding this item) [...]". (During Magic Room's effect, each active Pokemon is generally considered to be holding no items.) Accordingly, the holder of the choice item is free to choose any move as normal when Magic Room ends.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
I tired making a avatar smaller using GIMP, and when I tried to use the GIMP file, this error occured:

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

What does that even mean?

Is it a violation of the sleep clause if you put one poke to sleep using spore, then use spore again the next turn, but your opponent does not switch?
It would be if they do switch, but what if they don't switch?

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Is it a violation of the sleep clause if you put one poke to sleep using spore, then use spore again the next turn, but your opponent does not switch?
It would be if they do switch, but what if they don't switch?

If the opponent does switch, it would not violate Sleep Clause, it would make your Spore fail on the next Pokemon unless the Pokemon you put to sleep has Natural Cure, which means its sleep would cure on switch and your spore would work on the switch in.

Sleep Clause: Only one Pokemon can be asleep on either side of the battle.

If a Pokemon is already asleep, any sleep inducing status will fail to work until that Pokemon wakes up.

haunter

Banned deucer.
The sleep clause isn't broken until you successfully put 2 Pokemon to sleep. In your scenario you don't put a 2nd Pokemon to sleep.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I tired making a avatar smaller using GIMP, and when I tried to use the GIMP file, this error occured:

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

What does that even mean?
http://www.zoklet.net/bbs/showthread.php?p=3579448

Try another browser or wait ~hour. Next time something like that happens please copy/paste the message to google, this isn't the place for tech support questions.

Alright, I have 3 questions I can think of off the top of my head:

1. How long do you have to wait after you've posted an RMT to post another one? (I've read the RMT rules, but I'm still confused, and I don't want to spend my making writing up an RMT just to have it locked)

2. What's the difference between the Metagame and the C&C sections of this forum for sets? Which one is better to find sets?

3. How many Luvdisc's does a forum need so it shows on the main page?

I'll likely come back to ask more questions as I remeber them

1. How long do you have to wait after you've posted an RMT to post another one? (I've read the RMT rules, but I'm still confused, and I don't want to spend my making writing up an RMT just to have it locked)

2. What's the difference between the Metagame and the C&C sections of this forum for sets? Which one is better to find sets?

1) Two weeks.

2) The C&C forum is for correcting or adding to the on-site guides, while the metagame forum is about the game itself. If you're looking for set though, it's best to start here.

3) I'm confused by the question.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

1. Two weeks since your thread has been inactive

2. The metagame forums contain sets that anyone who's a member has posted, not to say they aren't competitively viable or good (because there are many good sets to be found here) but most of them are just theorymonning imo. The sets posted in the C&C forum will eventually be the on-site analysis' and are checked by the QC team and the GP team to make sure they are of the highest quality.

3. I dont understand this question, if you mean when you sort threads by their rating then it varies by forum

Generally, how 'bad' an idea is it (or 'average' an idea) is a Pokemon with all three Elemental Punches / fangs?

Going through the Battle Factory in HG/SS and through the main game I always love a Hitmonchan/etc. with Drain Punch/Elemental Punches or similar, but I take it that's a bad strategy for metagames...but is it that bad a strategy? They seem to work fantastically well so far at least.

Okay, about the Luvdisc question: (I think I confused the words 'thread' and 'forum' lol)

For example, this thread has 6 Luvdisc's, so in the forum where you can get into this thread (OU metagames) it says that this thread has 6 Luvdisc's. However, my RMT has 3 Luvdisc's, but it doesn't show up on the RMT forum, so how many Luvdisc's does a thread need to have to show up in the forum? (lol, I doubt that cleared things up)

Generally, how 'bad' an idea is it (or 'average' an idea) is a Pokemon with all three Elemental Punches / fangs?

Going through the Battle Factory in HG/SS and through the main game I always love a Hitmonchan/etc. with Drain Punch/Elemental Punches or similar, but I take it that's a bad strategy for metagames...but is it that bad a strategy? They seem to work fantastically well so far at least.
Generally it is not a good idea. Due to the low Base Powers of the moves, ESPECIALLY the Fangs, they only put out respectable damage against opponents with 4x weaknesses. You're better off using a strong STAB move, with the rest of your moves being of good power and hitting the Pokemon resistant to the STAB. An example would be Dragonite. Even though it has the three puncheS, it's better off running Outrage with Earthquake and Fire Punch for coverage, because those moves help deal with what actually can stop Outrage, namely various Steel-types. (Fire Punch hits Scizor, Earthquake hits Heatran, etc). As long as your STAB(s) is good enough you should be focusing on supplementing it.

Genesect is an exception, but it runs the three coverage moves with much higher Base Power (Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam) and has Download and STAB U-turn as well.

Edit at above: It takes six Luvdiscs for an icon to appear in the index.

Speed. Also pretty bad offensive and defensive typing with redundant STAB and being weak to priority. Weakness to Stealth Rock and limited boosting capabilities outside of Hone Claws also suck. Pressure isn't very good for Kyurem and doesn't assist it in attempting to sweep
What a shame, considering its sky high BST.
There HAS to be a way for this guy to go to work.

Is there a good place to learn the importance of stats? I mean...I know the importance of them, but I mean the nitty-gritty importance.

Practical example and the reason I bring this up:

Both Machamp and Donphan knows Earthquake...
Mchamp has 368 Attack, Donphan has 347
I know that Donphan will have the STAB bonus, but before I consider that (or even after) I want to know how that difference in stats will affect the Damage Output of the move.

EDIT: -and I know I can look up specifics using Damage Calculators, but I was thinking more in a general sense, so I'd be able to know off the top of my head that if Pokemon A has say 50-less Attack it'd make X-amount of difference. Is there any data on stuff like that?

Real quick, what are all the common counters to Keldeo? I've been using a team focused around him, and I'm still switching between HP Ice, Ghost, and Electric

Is there a good place to learn the importance of stats? I mean...I know the importance of them, but I mean the nitty-gritty importance.

Practical example and the reason I bring this up:

Both Machamp and Donphan knows Earthquake...
Mchamp has 368 Attack, Donphan has 347
I know that Donphan will have the STAB bonus, but before I consider that (or even after) I want to know how that difference in stats will affect the Damage Output of the move.

EDIT: -and I know I can look up specifics using Damage Calculators, but I was thinking more in a general sense, so I'd be able to know off the top of my head that if Pokemon A has say 50-less Attack it'd make X-amount of difference. Is there any data on stuff like that?
The damage formula for Pokemon is:

So assuming that everything besides attack and STAB are equal (say Pokemon 1 has Attack 1 and STAB, and Pokemon 2 has Attack 2 and No STAB), Pokemon 1 will deal (Constant 1*Attack 1 + 2)*1.5*Constant 2 while Pokemon 2 will deal (Constant 1*Attack 2 + 2)*1*Constant 2.

Therefore, in your example Donphan would do ((Constant 1*347 + 2)/(Constant 1*368 + 2))*1.5 times more damage than your Machamp.

So assuming that everything besides attack and STAB are equal (say Pokemon 1 has Attack 1 and STAB, and Pokemon 2 has Attack 2 and No STAB), Pokemon 1 will deal (Constant 1*Attack 1 + 2)*1.5*Constant 2 while Pokemon 2 will deal (Constant 1*Attack 2 + 2)*1*Constant 2.

Therefore, in your example Donphan would do ((Constant 1*347 + 2)/(Constant 1*368 + 2))*1.5 times more damage than your Machamp.
...Lord have mercy. I graduated Auburn University with an English degree. I think I'm gonna have to take a step back and just be happy with "Higher numbers are better numbers" thanks all the same. ;_;

...Lord have mercy. I graduated Auburn University with an English degree. I think I'm gonna have to take a step back and just be happy with "Higher numbers are better numbers" thanks all the same. ;_;
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just giving the formula a cursory glance it seems like just ignoring the +2 at the end of the non-modifier section wouldn't be that big a deal, so for the most part it just comes down to the difference in attack stat and whether or not you have STAB (since, if you ignore the +2, the ratio between the damage dealt by Donphan and the damage dealt by Machamp is just (Donphan's attack *1.5)/Machamp's Attack). There probably are scenarios where the two is more significant (such as at lower levels), but, since most attacks do several hundred damage, it usually shouldn't matter that much.

It's actually simpler than it looks. At LV100, just take the move's power, multiply by your Attack stat, divide by the enemy's Defense stat, and then multiply by 42.

Then you just apply type modifiers and any special-case stuff, and you've got the maximum damage. Moves can do from 85-100% of that damage.

That easier to understand?

The formula is great, but I have a trouble.

Using a mon with level 100, 339 attack using Ice Beam(95) against a mon with 289 sp attack, and no STAB, neutral mov, no special case and no critical:

In a web calculators says me: 80-95 damage

Another says: 81-96

Smogon says: 80-94

A program which I did in Java using this formula: 81-95(exactly 81,265..., 95,606..)

Why happens it? Accuracy loss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)