ORAS OU Army of Me

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus

Hello. So seeing as I had a #86-peaking heavy offense team in BW2 OU, it seems offense is what I do best. However, the odd thing is, like 99% of the teams I've made for XY OU and ORAS OU haven't been that, or at least have been considerably bulkier than the teams I grew accustomed to in DPP OU and BW OU. This RMT is pretty much a return to the style I used basically religiously in DPP OU and BW OU.

The song choice I have picked for this RMT is "Army of Me" by Björk. This is an interesting composition; the song's bass line is written in Locrian, a mode so dissonant it's practically never used in popular music. But that's not important to why I picked it. It's about standing up for yourself and not just sitting there whining about it. This song is a piece that taught me to stop bitching about my problems and just fix them, so I picked this song out of pure attachment to it. Plus, in this case, it's like my team is the "Army of Me" spoken about in the song, as if I'm making my opponent meet an Army of Me.

The team

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
- Thunder Wave

Alakazam is listed here first for one simple reason: It is the MVP of this team. Thanks to Sash Alakazam, this team is capable of fighting its way through an unfavorable matchup, which is pretty important because if I were using any other Alakazam set, Bisharp would be cutting through me like tissue paper, for example. However, the presence of Alakazam allows me to beat it, even though I have three Pokemon weak to Dark and no resists, and it isn't just Bisharp either. Volcarona, which would otherwise be a major annoyance, gets crippled by Thunder Wave and takes a Psychic or two, putting it in KO range for Garchomp's Earthquake. Weavile would slaughter this team once Magneton goes down if it weren't for Alakazam being able to take a hit due to Sash and blow it away with Focus Blast. How you use Alakazam on this team pretty much dictates how effective the team will be for you. If it's used incredibly generously, frequently put into situations where the sash can be broken, then that kind of playing becomes dangerous for the whole team if they have some of those threats I mentioned. However, if it is played conservatively, and only used if absolutely necessary, then it is a powerful team player that can make the team come out on top through an unfavorable matchup.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Grass Knot / Bullet Punch

Confession time: During the Mega Metagross suspect test, I was actually in favor of a ban on this thing. However, looking back and realizing how manageable it really is (Tankchomp LOLOLOLOLOL), I realize now that if I had put in the effort to get reqs, I would have voted to ban and I would have regretted it now.

Okay, but let's talk shit actually important to this team now. You all know what Mega Metagross does. It punches holes in shit, and boy is it good at that. Basically, all you have to do in order to use this thing well is click Meteor Mash, click Zen Headbutt when you gotta, and click Hammer Arm when you gotta. Tough Claws + 145 base Attack means this thing is a heavy nuke, and 150 base Defense means it takes physical hits like a fucking champ. However, it still has a few thorns in its side - one of them is named Slowbro, and that's why Grass Knot is here; however, Bullet Punch would be nice just to have priority to pick off some weakened threats (and give fewer shits about Weavile) and it's not like Slowbro is something that this team just can't handle or anything.

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Mega Sableye? Fuck that shit. Swords Dance, Outrage. Your Stealth Rock user just muscled past Mega Sableye. It might be left at, like, 16%, at which point its best shot is to come in on Latios's Psyshock and heal up. No, really, though, Tank Chomp is a kickass set, but I didn't use it on this team because I feared it would end up being a momentum sink. On the other hand, this set functions as a Stealth Rock user that can actually beat Mega Sableye 1v1 and function as a win condition if that's what you need it to do. Fairy-types did fuckall to stop this thing, huh?

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Trick

Latios functions as a primary revenge killer (again, playing Alakazam conservatively is mandatory, can't have it handling 100% of the revenge killing duties) which can also use Defog to get entry hazards away - although one team member is immune to entry hazards and nothing is weak to Stealth Rock, Spikes are still annoying and having something to eliminate them makes things a lot easier. It can also use Trick to cripple something like Chansey, which would make life better for Serperior, or remove Skarmory's Shed Shell, which would enable Magneton to trap it. Latios's job is pretty straightforward; it stops me from getting swept by Mega Charizard X and clears entry hazards.

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Recreant: "magneton doesn't count because it's ass"

Yeah I know, Magneton < Magnezone, but Scarf Magneton outspeeds a few key threats Scarf Magnezone just doesn't: Tornadus-T, Weavile, Jolly Talonflame, and Starmie. Jolly Talonflame and Tornadus-T are especially important as they'd be major headaches otherwise. Beyond keeping this team safe from those threats (and avoiding putting too much pressure on Alakazam to bail this team out), Magneton also eliminates Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor, and Klefki, just a few examples of Steel-types that would otherwise be painful to handle.

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Giga Drain

Serperior is the team's primary win condition. Simple: Come in on something weak to Leaf Storm like Slowbro or Rotom-W (both of which you probably baited with Mega Metagross or Garchomp or something) and you basically use a damaging Nasty Plot. If you thought it was hard to get to +2 with users of Swords Dance / Nasty Plot, well, Serperior makes that shit easy.

You're probably wondering: "Why are you using Hidden Power Ground?" Because Heatran. Heatran isn't unbeatable or anything, but just about every target of Hidden Power Fire should already be taken care of (*cough* Magneton), so it's better to be able to bait Heatran than it is to have something that you're probably not even going to use.

Threats

Weavile: You can RK with Magneton, and.... okay yeah I should probably just run Bullet Punch on Metagross

Bisharp: Keep Alakazam's Focus Sash intact until you can get it in vs. this thing. If you miss Focus Blast... Well, there's that X in the upper right corner.

Talonflame: Revenge killing it really isn't a problem. Switching in on it, though? Yeah, just don't.

Volcarona: You pretty much have to have Alakazam cripple it with Thunder Wave. If you do, you're golden. If you don't, you're fucked.

Thundurus: Magneton and Alakazam can team up to beat this, but you can forget about switching in.

Mega Lopunny: Take advantage of your Scarfers, don't let it break Alakazam's Focus Sash. Anything other than those, have fun.

Importable

Code:
Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
- Thunder Wave

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Grass Knot

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Trick

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Giga Drain

Last edited:
This is going to be really quick because I don't have much time.

I'm just going to start this off by saying that personally, I love offensive chomp. It's so good right now and catches people off guard time and time again. However looking at your threat list I'm afraid I simply have to suggest that you change your Garchomp to the stupidly overused TankChomp set. It deals with 4 out of 6 of the pokemon on your threat list and is extremely consistent in almost every match-up imaginable, hence it being one of the most common sets in OU.

The next thing I'm going to suggest is to add CB Azumarill, probably removing Latios. Latios makes it so that your team has 3 psychic types (hence your weakness to the two most common dark types in ou) and doesn't really contribute much outside of very mediocre revenge killing capabilities. Defog really doesn't help your team: literally nothing is weak to rocks with 4 members resisting them or being immune to hazards altogether. Azumarill adds priority, checks Weavile to some extent, deals with Mega Sableye and is very good in general in breaking apart opposing teams while also benefitting from Magneton. Another option in this slot is Keldeo who also checks Weavile but also takes the pressure off TankChomp in regards to Bisharp, still kind of deals with Sableye and has great synergy with MegaGross.

All in all, I hope I helped, sorry I can't look more in depth as there are some other flaws I haven't addressed (Excadrill) and elaborate more on the things I did address. Peace and gl with the team.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
This is going to be really quick because I don't have much time.

I'm just going to start this off by saying that personally, I love offensive chomp. It's so good right now and catches people off guard time and time again. However looking at your threat list I'm afraid I simply have to suggest that you change your Garchomp to the stupidly overused TankChomp set. It deals with 4 out of 6 of the pokemon on your threat list and is extremely consistent in almost every match-up imaginable, hence it being one of the most common sets in OU.

The next thing I'm going to suggest is to add CB Azumarill, probably removing Latios. Latios makes it so that your team has 3 psychic types (hence your weakness to the two most common dark types in ou) and doesn't really contribute much outside of very mediocre revenge killing capabilities. Defog really doesn't help your team: literally nothing is weak to rocks with 4 members resisting them or being immune to hazards altogether. Azumarill adds priority, checks Weavile to some extent, deals with Mega Sableye and is very good in general in breaking apart opposing teams while also benefitting from Magneton. Another option in this slot is Keldeo who also checks Weavile but also takes the pressure off TankChomp in regards to Bisharp, still kind of deals with Sableye and has great synergy with MegaGross.

All in all, I hope I helped, sorry I can't look more in depth as there are some other flaws I haven't addressed (Excadrill) and elaborate more on the things I did address. Peace and gl with the team.
I'm still very iffy on Tank Chomp on a team like this, with my rationale being that I ran Tank Chomp on a virtually identically-structured team (basically all-out offense w/ steel trapping) and didn't like it. It just seemed like an offensive presence that should have been there just wasn't there. It just wasn't really threatening my opponent. It's just that thing that seems like the best choice on paper but I just can't really get behind in practice.

Azu/Keldeo I could get behind, however, as Latios is easily the most disposable member of this team. From my threat list, Azumarill handles Weavile and Volcarona (and Bisharp to an extent but I think Azumarill can only take one Iron Head), and Keldeo handles Weavile and Bisharp. I do feel like both would open me up to Mega Charizard X but it's worth a try. Thanks for the rate.

njnp

We don't play this game to lose.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
What I think About Your Team First Glance

This looks not awful has so scary sets to face. You have t wave zam (shoutout chimpact)! I think this is a nice build just has a few holes but the shape of the current build can't be drastically fixed. Would require some mon replacement and possibly a different core.

How You Can Improve Your Team

Drake (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Pursuit

Try this set to make you less weak towards threats such as lati bro's and weavile.
BP helps you with revenge killing and not depending on winning speed ties.

A$AP Rocky (Garchomp) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock

I think this set would benefit your metagross the most be weakening its checks such as lando t, rotom, and hippo by poisoning them.
Having the ability to set up rocks easily vs them as well is fantastic.
The spd evs allows you do take fire blast's from char y much better and eat up some scalds and dodge the burn [:

Conclusion
I think zone should have magneton but maybe it works better for you *shrug.
I generally can never bring myself to using magneton its so fragile and doesn't deal the damage that zone does.
I wish you massive success buddy and hope you take my changes into consideration.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)