And exactly why is Double Team bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the past couple years, I've been on NetBattle, usually the Smogon server. And I've noticed everyone has an aversion to the move Double Team. As long as I can remember, I've seen people yelling at others for using it. Now, I can see that DT is a very good move. From what I know, people don't like it because it's cheap.

And yet, it's in the game. My opinion is, if it's in the game, it should be fair game to use in the so called metagame. There's a reason it's in the game at all, which is to use it. There's no point in putting a move into a game if the fanbase is going to shun and ban it.

One argument I've seen it that it takes makes the game essentially all luck. That's part of what the game's about. I've haxed people to death before getting lucky with Headbutt and such moves, without any items to help it along. The chances of flinching someone 8 turns in a row aren't that great either, but I don't see anyone yelling about that.

Which brings up ways to counter it. I'm not that great at thinking about these things, but there's two obvious ways I see to get rid of a DTer easily. Manaphy's move, Heart Swap, I believe, kills the stats. Also, the ability of that new beaver Pokemon, whose name eludes me, essentially prevents status changes.

If you see something wrong with using DT, congratulations, good for you. Then don't use it. But your distaste for the move shouldn't prevent others from enjoying the game and using it, if they want. If you really wanted to, I'm sure someone around here could come up with a decent counter for the move.

*sigh*

I'm not the first to say this, as this topic has been done to death.

but Double Team overspecializes the metagame, because it forces you to HAVE to have certain pokemon in your team, like Haze Weezing, especially because you can't phaze DTers.

Yes, you mention certain counters, but DT is so powerful a move that you HAVE to have those counters if you want to win in a metagame with DT. In short, there WILL be a hazer on every team. Or a Heartswapper or w/e.

And seeing that Hazers are so rare, DT would destroy most metagames, like UU.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Oh please, not another Double Team thread. This is listed in the "taboo topics" sticky for a reason. If you're really curious, you can search the forum and see the heaps upon heaps of arguments. Let's not start another heap here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)