An Attempt at Balance

Credits for the Pokemon models: www.pkparaiso.com

Hi fellow Smogon users. Today I bring you, I think, my 2nd RMT in this Gen. I hope I will hear from you guys your honest opinions about my team (either positive or negative). So let's go!

Teambuilding Process
(Please read this section so you know why I chose a certain Pokemon)

I always liked Venusaur, as Bulbasaur was my first Pokemon ever. To be honest I was never a big fun of its Mega Evolution but after seeing what it can do in the OU tier, that it got an S-Rank in the viability ranking thread and also noticing that it got a lot of usage I was tempted to base a team round it.

I didn't thought at first that Mandibuzz would help me make a good core but after seeing it's performance, that it helps countering some threats that Venusaur has trouble dealing and that it gets access to Defog and other neat things I was sold. It quickly became not only one of my favorite walls and one of my favorite Pokemon.

Even though I have a really solid core I wasn't fully satisfied. It has a double weakness to Ice, even though Mega Venusaur has Thick Fat but it also lacks a good T-Wave absorber, which I find essential to have on a team. Rotom-W fitted both those roles and could also deal with some other things that could be troublesome. (Ex. Talonflame in some extent, Rotom-H, Mega Charizard Y) (Here I was between Heatran and Rotom-W. I tested both of them and I was back and forth and couldn't decide which Pokemon to put here. After a lot of battles I came to the conclusion that Rotom-W was a superior choice)

I never want my team to be either too offensive or too defensive. So I had to choose a good Pokemon to deal damage. I just couldn't resist... Genesect not only is a great Pokemon to deal damage with, it also creates a nice VoltTurn Combo with Rotom-Wash and can be a great pivot switch by forcing switches and U-turn out.
It also has access to a great ability known as Download, which makes Genesect a great mixed powerhouse.

Ahh Aegislash. Such a great Pokemon. Many people thought that its ability was a big gimmick and to say the truth, I was one of them. Gladly, not only his ability wasn't a gimmick but it also has a lot of moves that make Aegislash able to play with its ability in a great extend. I mean not only it can act as a great defensive monster and pivot switch it can also sweep whole team or at least do some severe damage to the opponent's team.

Look at my team... It's kinda weak to Fire, isn't it? Well not only Azumarill resists Fire it is also a complete powerhouse! It has access to priority and it can also take hits relatively well considering that you will be using it as an offensive sweeper. Not only that but Azumarill now is part Fairy type which is a great addition, because it's able deal with Dragons with ease compared to last Gen.

So now that we are done with the Teambuilding Process time to go on to the team itself:

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Overgrow -> Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SDef
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Knock Off

Mega Venusaur in my opinion is one of the best Mixed Walls in the OU metagame. Not only that but it has access to some really neat things. First of all, Leech Seed, which with the combination of Mega Venusaur's great defensive capabilities it can be really troublesome to deal with. Mega Venusaur also has access to Knock Off which in this Gen became on of the best moves and everything that has access to it, can effectively use it. One major downfall that Venusaur is that it lacks a really reliable recovery move. It does have access to Synthesis but it only has 8 PP making it kinda unreliable but still it's better than nothing. In the last moveslot I put Giga Drain so I won't be a complete set up fodder.

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Foul Play
- Toxic

Mandibuzz like I said got a lot of neat things this Gen making her great wall in OU. She has access to Defog which is a really decent move this Gen and she can never be a set up fodder just because of Foul Play and that she gets a nice STAB bonus at it as well. Toxic is there to stall out opponents and with Roost you can ToxicRoost a large portion of the metagame. In addition with this spread I can easily wall Talonflame and Physical Lucario who are known to be one of the biggest threats in OU at the moment.

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 240 SDef / 252 HP / 16 Spd
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Rest

My special wall and one of the few things that I have to deal with Mega Charizard Y, which is one of the biggest threats in the OU metagame, and can retaliate back with Volt Switch as Rotom-W can take a Solarbeam with relative ease. It has a really standard set which greatly resembles the Physically Defensive Rotom-W set except this is a special variant. It has Volt Switch for momentum and to create a nice VoltTurn combo with Genesect. Will-O-Wisp to deal with Mega Mawile and Aegislash. Hydro Pump is there to deal damage to things that could otherwise set up a sub (Ex. Heatran) or set up in general (Ex. Talonflame) and Rest to heal up because Rotom-W doesn't have a reliable recovery. (Thus creating the famous RestoChesto combo)

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Spd / 160 SAtk / 96 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- U-turn
- Iron Head

I still don't get it why this thing is OU... But who cares? Better use it now before it gets banned. Not only this thing is really fast with the scarf (99 Base Speed) it also has a great ability, Download which makes Genesect like I said on the previous section one of the biggest Mixed Powerhouses in the Metagame. So on to the moveset. Ice Beam is there for Dragons that are really dangerous and like to set up like Garchomp, Dragonite, Salamence etc. Then I have Flamethrower for Mega-Lucario which is a huge ass threat if it sets up. Then there is U-turn for obvious reasons (momentum, STAB etc.) and then Iron Head to deal with fairies like Azumarill and Togekiss.

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 148 Atk / 252 HP / 108 SAtk
Brave Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball

Best user of Weakness Policy (besides Dragonite). Great bulk to utilize the item and has a great priority, Shadow Sneak which with the new mechanics of 6th Gen it can hit things like Jirachi and Metagross who would otherwise wall it. It also has Sacred Sword to deal with Bisharp, Tyranitar and Mega Lucario and Shadow Ball to utilize that +2 after the Weakness Policy boost and also effectively damage Ferrothorn, Forretress.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Power? Check! Bulk? Check! Priority? Check! Since Azumarill got Huge Power it instantly became one of the biggest threats in the Metagame. And this Gen is no excpetion. Actually this Gen might be the best of em' all for Azumarill because it got that nice part- Fairy typing. The set is quite standard but dangerous nonetheless. Choice Band with Aqua Jet, Water Fall, Play Rough and Knock off for support reasons but also to be able to OHKO Gourgeist and Trevenant if they carry their items!

Biggest Threats to my team:

S Rank:
Mega-Lucario (The physical variation is easily counterable for my team. But if it's a Special variant, that has Vacuum Wave and I leave it set up a lot and be in a healthy amount of HP it's basically GG)

Mega-Venusaur (Kidna ironic isn't it? I can deal with it via passive damage like Rotom's Will-o-Wisp and with Genesect in some extent. It really makes me sometimes put Brave Bird on Mandi or substitute Rotom-W with Heatran, but still I rarely see it to be honest)

A Rank:

Mega Charizard Y (Biggest threat to my team! With great coverage moves it can easily wreck my team. Again another reason that I really want to run Heatran on this team instead of Rotom-W (This is also a reason why Rotom is Specially defensive))

Mega Pinsir (The second biggest threat on my team and another reason that I want to put Heatran on this team (except if it has Earthquake). If Mandibuzz or Rotom-W are low on HP and I let it set up to +4 it's GG)

Landorus-I (If it sets up a Rock Polish or if Mega-Venusaur and Rotom-W are low on health)

Bisharp (Something that I thought wouldn't be here... With Swords Dance, Knock Off and Sucker Punch, Bisharp is a really dangerous Pokemon and if I lose Mega Venusaur, Mandibuzz, Aegislash or Rotom-W or let it set up a lot it's GG)

Mega-Mawile (Still counterable in a great extend but if I lose my defensive core or this thing sets up to 4+ and beyond I will most likely have a bad time)

Honorable Mentions:

Eon Duo (Latios, Latias) | A Rank
Azumarill | A Rank

Mega-Absol | B Rank

Some battles with this team.
(They are from my channel. No need to watch them but you can get a general idea of how this team works in action)

Thanks for reading this RMT! It took me a lot of time to make this so I hope you like it! Please, tell me your honest opinions about my team. They're more than welcome! Also if you find any grammar errors don't hesitate to tell. (I'm not a native English speaker)
Again thanks! :]​

Last edited:
How does rotom take a solar beam from modest y?
252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-W: 230-272 (75.6 - 89.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
And most Charizard Y have a Timid nature.. Also this is kinda considered as a spam as you don't rate my team, but oh well...

Spam? Lol ok, well the team seems solid because its ou standard, dont let mandibuzz die easy though, talonflame could quickly wear down your rotom especially with hazards.

On paper, you seem to actually have a problem with Tentacruel.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
Modest (252 HP/252 SpAtk/4 SpDef)
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Knock Off
-Sludge Wave

This set is very uncommon but it completely walls Azumarill, MegaVenusaur, Mandibuzz, and Genesect. Since your Washing Machine is Bulky rather than Modest, even volt switch is unreliable and with your Chesto Berry knocked-off your rotom is actually in trouble.

Once your opponent finds out that none of your pokemon carry Earthquake, a lot of pokemon that would otherwise be nothing start to come out of the woodwork and threaten you.

That being said, I love your mixed Aegislash--Weakness Policy + Shield Forme is just plain money--and in general, you can't miss with Choice Band Azumarill.

On paper, you seem to actually have a problem with Tentacruel.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
Modest (252 HP/252 SpAtk/4 SpDef)
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Knock Off
-Sludge Wave

This set is very uncommon but it completely walls Azumarill, MegaVenusaur, Mandibuzz, and Genesect. Since your Washing Machine is Bulky rather than Modest, even volt switch is unreliable and with your Chesto Berry knocked-off your rotom is actually in trouble.

Once your opponent finds out that none of your pokemon carry Earthquake, a lot of pokemon that would otherwise be nothing start to come out of the woodwork and threaten you.

That being said, I love your mixed Aegislash--Weakness Policy + Shield Forme is just plain money--and in general, you can't miss with Choice Band Azumarill.
Wow I never noticed that as I never faced a Tentacruel and I played a LOT of matches with this team.. (Especially offensive) (I will put it in the threat section) I guess I have to switch Iron Head with Thunderbolt on Gene.. What do you think?

I guess I have to switch Iron Head with Thunderbolt on Gene.. What do you think?
See, the thing is that (as you noted) Tentacruel is ridiculously uncommon--and when it shows up, it is actually a bulky rapid-spin user in 4/5 encounters. I can count on one hand the number of tentacruels I have ever faced and I only met a modest knockoff user once or twice.

As a result, I can't really suggest one way or another what to do about it--I really only meant my comment to be something to consider just in case you were to run into one of these.

I just ran the calculations and Knock Off will proc Weakness policy while only doing 16% to your Shield forme Aegislash, so if you were to move him in on the predicted knock off (cause let's be honest, that is what tentacruel is going to be doing all day), you get the boost and then end-up with a 2HKO shadow ball or 2HKO Shadow Sneak after black sludge recovery and the chance to sweep due to weakness policy.

I think I am liking that Aegislash set more and more.

Keep Iron Head on Genesect for now--I doubt Modest Tentacruel is something for you to fear, I was probably being a little histrionic. Overall, this is a pretty strong team: MegaVenus and Rotom-Wash have great synergy,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)