Alolan Raichu (Electric) [QC 0/3] [GP 0/1]

QC: 0/3
GP: 0/3

[OVERVIEW]

*Alolan Raichu's ability to break through walls, revenge kill Choice Scarf users, and maintain momentum against fast and slow teams alike make it a top pick for Electric teams
*Its ability, Surge Surfer, combined with its 110 speed, allows it to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame including all Choice Scarfers while under electric terrain from Tapu-Koko
*Electric Terrain-boosted STAB attacks, combined with the afformentioned speed, allow it to carve up frailer offensive teams
*Secondary psychic stab allows it to hit hard with a stab psyshock against bulky special walls such as Chansey, Lanturn, Goodra and Mega Venusaur, as well as improving the matchup against Fighting teams
*Middling 95 special attack stat means that Alolan Raichu requires electric terrain support to be truly effective, and non-electric moves hit unimpressively
*Exceptionally frail; even middlingly strong resisted attacks can 2hKO, and the electric/Psychic typing gives it nasty weaknesses to ground, Dark, Bug and Ghost
*It can easily be picked off by priority moves. It is vulnerable to Choice Scarf users after Electric Terrain falls.
*It has access to coverage moves such as Surf, Grass Knot and Focus Blast to hit potential switch-ins hard, but cannot run all of them and is thus walled by something

[SET]
name: Surge Surfer
move 1: Volt Switch / Thunderbolt
move 2: Psyshock
move 3: Grass Knot / Surf / Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Focus Blast
item: Choice Specs / Life Orb
ability: Surge Surfer
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SPA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Volt Switch backed up by Electric Terrain and Choice Specs can deal large damage to offensive Pokemon. Alolan Raichu should mainly use this move early game if wearing Choice Specs to avoid a choice lock.
*Thunderbolt is best used alongside Life Orb to clean up late game, and is Alolan Raichu's hardest hitting STAB move.
* Psyshock is an obligatory STAB move that 2hKOs Mega Venusaur and deals solid damage to walls and other poison types, such as Salazzle, Mega Garchomp, and bulky Volcarona even after it gets a Quiver Dance boost. It also deals more damage to Alolan Marrowack than any other move besides Surf.
*Psychic can be ran to OHKO Mega Venusaur after a bit of prior damage and deal more damage to Porygon2 than its other moves.
*Grass Knot hits bulky Ground and Rock types, such as Swampert, Quagsire, Rhyperior and Gastridon, hard
*Surf drowns bulky Ground types and walls that could take a Psyshock, such as Excadrill, Rhyperior, Piloswine,, Heatran, and bulky Volcarona, which it can 2hKO if you predict the switch. It does more damage than Grass Knot to lighter Ground-types such as Crookodile and Diggersby and also is better against Heatran than Focus Blast because of its 100% accuracy.
*Hidden Power Ice deals respectable damage to dragon types such as Mega Garchomp, Dragonite and Latios while also OHKOing Landorus-T and Gliscor without a Yache berry.
*Focus Blast hits harder against steel types such as Magnezone and Heatran; bulky Rock types such as Tyranitar, who must use a Chopel berry to survive; and defensive Porygon2. Focus Blast's 70% accuracy can be a nasty letdown though.

Set Details
========

*The given spread maximizes Alolan Raichu's speed and power. Maximum speed is important in order to speed tie with opposing Alolan Raichu, as well as to speed tie maxed base 110's when electric terrain falls. If running Thunderbolt, a Modest nature is preferred in order to gain a noticeable power boost. For example, Modest with Choice Specs gives you a small chance of OHKOing Mega Metagross from full, whereas the damage from Timid maxes out at 96%.
* Surge Surfer doubles speed when electric terrain is up, so it can outspeed Scarf users
*Choice Specs gives an immediate power boost, allowing it to achieve impressive feats. Life Orb can be ran as an alternative if you like being able to switch moves and are willing to trade some power for it. If running a Timid nature, the power drop from Life orb costs you some KO feats, such as an OHKO on Mega Metagross with Thunderbolt and Stealth Rock, OHKO on Venusaur with Psychic and Stealth Rock and 2hKO against mixed defensive Lanturn with Psyshock and Stealth Rock.

Usage Tips
========

* Bring Raichou in on a free switch, such as after a teammate faints or through a slow pivot
*Raichu should mainly be used early and mid-game as a revenge killer or a hit-and-run breaker. This is why Volt Switch is useful,as Raichu can do some damage as it escapes. Volt Switch does use up Electric Terrain turns.
*If none of Alolan Raichu's moves ohko the target, it may be wiser to escape either with Volt Switch or a manual switch since Alolan Raichu is so frail.
*Be careful about overpredicting with Alolan Raichu. It is better to lose some momentum by risking an Electric move against an incoming Ground-type than to lose Alolan Raichu if the opponent does not switch out and instead goes for an attack which will most likely deal massive damage.
*Once opposing Pokemon have been weakened, use Alolan Raichu to clean up the opposing team, preferably while under Electric Terrain support for the extra speed. Late game, Volt Switch may turn out to be a liability since it forces you to switch out into something. The Life Orb set is more suited for late game cleaning because Alolan Raichu has access to all its coverage moves.

Team Options
========
*Stealth rocks set by Alolan Golem can secure 2hKOs and be a general hinderance to the opponent, since you'll be forcing lots of switches. Alolan Golem can break specially bulky pokemon for Alolan Raichu to clean up later.
*Tapu-Koko is an essential teammate, setting electric terrain and powering up Alolan Raichu's Electric moves and speed. Electric Terrain allows it to achieve most of those impressive 2hKOs. Tapu-Koko can break through bulky walls with Nature's Madness or Guardian of Alola for easier cleanup later by Raichu.
* Slow pivots such as Assault Vest Eelektross, defensive Rotom-w and Zapdos can bring in Alolan Raichu safely. Zapdos can Defog entry hazards, minimizing unnecessary damage done to Alolan Raichu. It can also paralyze sweepers with Discharge or infect walls with Toxic, allowing your team to break through them faster. Rotom-w can also help whittle down opponents with Pain Split. Zapdos and Eelektross's Fire-type moves can also break through Grass types which would otherwise wall Alolan Raichu.
* Scarf Rotom-Wash can cripple walls that Raichou can't break through, such as Eviolite Chansey and Porygon2, by tricking them a choice item. Rotom-W can also pivot into physical and Ground-type attacks before weakening their users with Hydro Pump or bringing in Alolan Raichu safely on a switch.
* Wallbreakers such as Thundurus, xurkitree and AlolanGolem can help whittle down the opposing team for Alolan Raichu to clean up late game.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Electric
------

*Aloraichium-Z gives Alolan Raichu access to Stoked Sparksurfer, a 175-bp Electric move with a 100% paralysis chance. However, Raichu is able to dent most of its switch-ins with item-boosted coverage moves. Therefore the opportunity cost of not having the item as well as having to predict carefully when to use the move is generally not worth the surprise factor.

*Expert belt and magnet can be run to bluff a Choice item, but Raichu's coverage move power is underwhelming without the boost.

*Nasty Plot turns Alolan Raichu into a dangerous sweeper if it manages to set up, but finding those opportunities is difficult, and Electric Terrain will most likely fall while it is still on the field, slowing it down and weakening its Electric moves. Raichu's poor bulk means that priority moves will most likely stop it before it does enough damage.

*A physical attacking set with Volt Tackle, Extreme Speed, Knock Off and Celebrate with a Normalium-Z is a foolhardy bluffas Alolan Raichu's power is detestable compared to special sets and it cannot OHKO nearly as many targets.

Checks and Counters
=============

Electric
==========
*Revenge killers: Priority users and Choice Scarf users can easily destroy a Raichu that has taken prior damage due to its nonexistent bulk. Choice Band Dragonite's Extreme Speed, Bisharp's Sucker Punch, and Mimickyou's +2 Shadow Sneak all OHKO Alolan Raichu from full. Alolan Raichu can outspeed all common scarfers in Electric Terrain though.

*Special walls: Specially defensive walls such as Chansey and Porygon2 are completely unphased by Alolan Raichu's moves. Chansey can kill Alolan Raichu in three Seismic tosses, and Porygon2's special attacks are an easy 2HKO as well.

*Ground-types and Electric immunity: Excadrill, Lanturn, Landorus forms, and Swampert can gain momentum against Alolan Raichu if given a free turn such as on a choice-locked Volt Switch. Alolan Marowac can take advantage of the Choice Specs set by pivoting into a Volt Switch, forcing Alolan Raichu to switch out. Mamoswine can 2hKO Alolan Raichu from full with priority Ice Shard. Excadrill, Landorus-t and Alolan Marowack cannot stand up to surf; Lanturn fears Psyshock; and Swampert dies to Grass knot.

*Bulky Dragons: Latios, Latias, Goodra and Kyurem-B can sponge most of Alolan Raichu's attacks and hit back with their stab moves. Kyurem-B fears Focus Blast, and Goodra cannot stand up to multiple Psyshocks.
*Grass Types: Ferrothorn easily takes any attack Raichu can throw at it besides Focus Blast. Tapu-Bulu can OHKO Alolan Raichu with Horn Leech while removing Electric Terrain. Serperior outspeeds Alolan Raichu when Electric Terrain is not up and OHKOs with Leaf Storm, gaining the opposing team serious momentum. Grass-types generally do not fear anything Alolan Raichu can hit them with besides the rare Hidden Power Ice.

*Bulky Electric-types: Zapdos, Assault Vest Eelektross and Lanturn can takeAlolan Raichu's Electric attacks easily; Lanturn is totally immune to them and heals itself due to Volt Absorb.

*Residual damage: Life orb recoil, Stealth rock damage and status, when combined, quickly wear Raichu down, which is why it's important to keep it out of the way of direct hits.

Last edited:
Before I start an am check, I personally don't like the Nasty Plot set because it's highly inferior to its set above and it's not that good. Alolan Raichu would need to find safe opportunities to set up Nasty Plot because of it being so frail. Alolan Raichu prefers to hit hard right away and trying to set up one turn is pretty crucial. It mainly works on forced switches and those that really can't KO it in 1 hit. I think it should instead be mentioned in the other options.

AM QC Check

Overview:
- I'd focus a bit more on the benefits of what Alolan Raichu's Psychic typing offers to Electric teams. Psychic typing is great offensively. Besides being able to deal with Mega Venusaur and Poison teams, I'd also mention how it helps strengthen Electric's matchup against Fighting teams.
- I'd also mention that Alolan Raichu's Speed makes it an excellent pivot when utilizing Volt Switch.
- I'd mention how Alolan Raichu has access to some good coverage moves that help check types that Electric struggles against.
- Alolan Raichu is not a revenge killer. If anything, it gets revenge killed because of how frail it is.

[SET]
name: Choice Specs Pivot (Change the name)
move 1: Thunderbolt / Volt Switch/Thunderbolt
move 2: Psychic / Psyshock
move 3: Surf
item: Life Orb / Choice Specs
nature: Timid / Modest

- Should be All-out Attacker instead of Choice Specs Pivot. Life Orb should be slashed with Choice Specs because that is definitely a common item that's placed on it as well.
- Modest should be slashed in with Timid and deserved to be mentioned because of Tapu Koko's support it provides with Electric Terrain, allowing for Alolan Raichu to run Modest nature as a choice with Surge Surfer doubling its already impressive Speed stat and outspeeding the entire metagame (Think of it as Hippowdon + CB Excadrill)
- I also recommend adding somewhere that HP IVs should be 29 so that it minimizes damage taken from Life Orb. (That's QC to look at)
- I'd slash Grass Knot and Hidden Power Ice in front of Surf. Both I see more important. (QC)

Moves:
- Thunderbolt should be slashed in front of Volt Switch imo.
- Switch the mentioning of Psyshock with Thunderbolt / Volt Switch because these moves are mentioned in the set above first and it should follow the way they're presented in the set. (Example: Thunderbolt / Volt Switch in move 1: mentioned below as the first moves in the moves section).
- Mention that Volt Switch can help Alolan Raichu escape matchups that are unfavorable to it.
- Psychic over Psyshock because you're able to OHKO physically defensive Mega Venusaur after Stealth Rock damage compared to Psyshock. Also, Psyshock is mainly for specially defensive Pokemon. Porygon2 is not specially defensive because it prefers to take physical attacks for Chansey and it takes less damage from Psyshock compared to Psychic and even Thunderbolt. Mega Garchomp is 3HKOed by Psyshock while Psychic 2HKOes it. Psyshock should only be mentioned towards those that are specially defensive, examples such as Chansey, Nihilego, Quiver Dance Volcarona, Zapdos, Calm Mind users, etc.
- Surf, sure you're able to get the jump on Ground-types but what is the point in the majority that you mentioned above when you have Focus Blast? Excadrill, Piloswine, Heatran, and Rhyperior all get hit by Focus Blast. With Choice Specs you'll be forced to switch out once Seis or Gastrodon comes in. I'd add Grass Knot and Hidden Power Ice as part of slashes to Surf instead. Alolan Raichu would have to worry about using Surf when Gastrodon and Seismatoad are present because both are immune to Surf thanks to their abilities. Grass Knot can OHKO Seis, Quagsire, physically defensive Swampert, and Rhyperior.
- Hidden Power Ice is another option as a check to Dragon-types such as Garchomp, Dragonite, and Gliscor along with being able to OHKO Landorus.
- Focus Blast can OHKO Excadrill and 2HKO Porygon2 so I would add that.

Set Details:
- Talk about why Modest nature can be used instead of Timid nature because of Electric Terrain and Surge Surfer..
- I'd discuss how Life Orb also increases Alolan Raichu's damage output at a cost of health after each successful attack and doesn't lock it into a move.

Usage Tips:
- "Because Alola Raichu's bulk is awful, it should be brought in on a free switch after a teammate faints or a slow pivot"
- I'd definitely mention that it can be a good cleaner late-game once all its checks and counters are gone or weakened thanks to its impressive Speed.
- Talk about when to use Volt Switch.
- Mention that Alola Raichu should be wary of potential Choice Scarf users if Electric Terrain isn't out on the field.
- It's highly advised to keep entry hazards off the field so that Alola Raichu can avoid taking damage every time it switches in.

Team Options:
- I don't understand what you mean by Alolan Golem pivoting into Alolan Raichu if there's a physical wall. What you should also add is Alola Golem can breakthrough special walls such as Chansey.
- Add how Tapu Koko can form a VoltTurn core with Alolan Raichu because of U-turn. Mention how Nature's Madness can cripple walls for Alola Raichu, especially when Z Nature's Madness brings them down to 25%.
- Mention Magnezone being able to trap Steel-types with Magnet Pull, which Alolan Raichu greatly appreciates.
- I wouldn't mention "Rotom appliances." Just use the most viable Rotom appliance (which is Rotom-W) in being able to switch into Ground-type Pokemon and check them with Hydro Pump and be a good switch-in to Ground-type attacks because of Levitate barring Excadrill. Rotom-W can also have Alolan Raichu come in on a slow Volt Switch too.
- "Zapdos can also paralyze sweepers with Discharge" you mean. Also, talk about that Alolan Raichu appreciates Zapdos's capability in removing entry hazards with Defog so that it can pivot in and out more freely without worrying about taking damage.
- I don't think Eelektross is even relevant right now with all the more viable Electric-types and I don't think many would want to use it in the current metagame right now either. (QC can decide)

Other Options:
- Expert Belt helps boost Alolan Raichu's super effective coverage moves without being locked into a move from Choice Specs or losing health every turn from Life Orb. I was thinking about it being slashed above in the set but QC can determine that.
- Aloraichium Z can be a way to deal heavy damage under Tapu Koko's support.

Checks and Counters:
- Assault Vest Eelektross isn't that relevant. I'd remove it because it's not that viable.
- Porygon2 isn't a special wall and it doesn't normally run Tri Attack either. Porygon2 prefers to run coverage moves in order to check other types so I'd remove that. I'd mention a couple other specially defensive Pokemon instead
- Instead of mentioning "Opposing Terrain Setters" (because Tapu Fini wouldn't even want to switch in or go against Alolan Raichu) I'd replace that with Grass-types instead because the only relevant moves that Alola Raichu can use are its Psychic STAB moves and Hidden Power Ice to deal some good damage (excluding those weak to Focus Blast). I'd talk about Serperior outspeeding Alolan Raichu while being able to survive a Hidden Power Ice and KO it with Leaf Storm. Tapu Bulu can KO Alola Raichu with Horn Leech while Grassy Terrain is out. Focus Sash Breloom can be a check to it as well if it hasn't taken any damage yet either.
- I'd mention Alolan Marowak. This is especially when using Choice Specs because it can get a Lightning Rod boost and force Alolan Raichu out. Stealth Rock will be a problem as well. It resists all of its coverage moves except its Psychic STAB moves and Surf.
- Remove Hippowdon, it's a pure Ground-type. Alolan Raichu wouldn't even utilize its Electric moves.
- Revenge killers should be added too Choice Scarf (include some important ones) / priority users (QC can determine that) should be mentioned here with Alolan Raichu's Psychic typing and terrible bulk, it's vulnerable to Sucker Punch and Shadow Sneak users, Choice Band Dragonite can KO it with Extreme Speed, and Choice Band Diggersby can KO it with Quick Attack given that Stealth Rock is up.

Sorry if some things are vaguely explained. x.x

Edit: Please put: [QC: 0/3] [GP: 0/1] on the thread name as well.

Last edited:
Implemented many of your edits. Nasty Plot is a legit set and I've made good use of it on the middle and high ladder. You're right about Grass Knot being better than Surf so it's the first slash. Marowac-A is only a counter to Choice Specs variants, because Surf is still a legit move to run.

Last edited:
Implemented many of your edits. Nasty Plot is a legit set and I've made good use of it on the middle and high ladder. You're right about Grass Knot being better than Surf.
Would be best to wait for QC to go over my check first before implementing. This is only an am check.

Throughout the analysis (barring the Nasty Plot set, which I would remove), it seems to think that Alolan Raichu is a pivot.

One of the sections I really focus on and pay attention to is Usage Tips because that's where I find some of the most important information. In the main set, you only have 4 lines, and one of them should be outright removed. The other three really don't say much, and there's more that would need to be added. It wouldn't be as big of an issue if the single most important tip you could give is missing. You can see why this is something that absolutely should have been there:

Avoid using Alolan Raichu without Electric Terrain support, as its damage and Speed are very lacking without the boost, which compounds with its poor bulk to make it very vulnerable to being KOed.​

Misaka's amcheck is a great starting point if you want to see at least a small portion of the problems that I've noticed. I pretty much agree with almost all of the comments she made. As it stands, though, Alolan Raichu is such a straightforward Pokemon and really only has one viable set (Trust me, that Nasty Plot set would need to go), but it'd still take QC too much time to fix everything. There's a lot here that is wrong that would have to be removed, and a lot of what should have been here is missing. Especially given that Alolan Raichu is S ranked and so important to our metagame, I think it'd be better to reassign this.

QC Rejected 1/3

By the way, just as a tip: if your Usage Tips and Team Options seem to be very similar between sets, they're probably not different enough to justify having two sets. That's probably part of why this analysis seems to have some trouble.

I'm not really sure what the correct formats are, but I think there are some parts that I can give a suggestion on.
The main set should definitely be an orb set, which specs can also be used as a pivot, but it is less popular and does less for the team. Nasty Plot set is not viable, however it does waste a turn of the terrain and is more like a move that succeeds because the opponents are unlikely to predict raichu havint the move, therefore being an OO option would be the best.
P.S. don't use my words, coz my wording sucks. i struggled on my own analysis for quite a bit to find out how to say things clearly

AM QC check to hopefully get this up to standards. You seem to have implemented some of Misaka Mikoto 's, but some of the stuff that should have been included isn't and is thus relisted here.
Also, it's Raichu and Alolan Raichu, not Raichou or Raichu-A. In general, please use http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/spelling-and-grammar-standards.3588427/ much more, and look through more closely.

[OVERVIEW]

*Raichu's ability to break through walls, revenge kill Choice Scarf users, and maintain momentum against fast and slow teams alike make it a top pick for Electric teams if it's against all teams, there's no need to get specific
*Raichu-A's ability, Surge Surfer, combined with its 110 speed, allows it to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame including all Choice Scarfers while under electric terrain from Tapu-Koko
*Electric Terrain-boosted STAB attacks, combined with the afformentioned speed, allow it to carve up frailer offensive teams, while access to boosting moves allow it to pressure balanced teams Remove mention of boosting moves
*Secondary psychic stab allows it to hit hard with a stab psyshock against electric-resistant mixed walls such as Chansey and Mega Venusaur, as well as improving the matchup against Fighting teams Chansey doesn't resist electric? Try Lanturn, Dragalge, or even Goodra.
*Middling 95 special attack stat means that Raichu requires electric terrain support to be truly effective, and non-electric moves hit unimpressively without a boost
*Raichu-A is exceptionally frail; even middlingly strong resisted attacks can 2hKO, and the electric/Psychic typing gives it nasty weaknesses to ground, Dark, Bug and Ghost
*Raichu-A can easily be picked off by priority moves. It is vulnerable to Choice Scarf users after Electric Terrain falls.
Mention the coverage moves slashed on the set as letting it bypass answers

[SET]
name: Choice Specs Pivot Surge Surfer/All out Attacker (pick 1)
move 1: Thunderbolt / Volt Switch
move 3: Grass Knot / Surf / Hidden Power Ice
nature: Timid / Modest

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Add Thunderbolt bullet here
* Volt Switch hits extremely hard under electric terrain, at most 2hKOing almost all neutral offensive targets including Mega Metagross, Mega Scizor, Mega Gyarados, and Buzzwole. Volt Switch is the preferred move, since Raichou is better as a fast wallbreaker than a sweeper, and it cannot take hits. Put this in front of psyshock to match set orders.
* Psyshock is an obligatory STAB move that 2hKOs Mega Venusaur and deals solid damage to walls and other poison types, such as Gengar, Mega Garchomp, and bulky Volcarona. Psychic can be ran to OHKO Mega Venusaur after a bit of prior damage and deal more damage to Porygon2 than its other moves. Mention how it doesn't cause you to switch, and specify boosted Volcarona. Also Gengar is OHKOed by even Volt Switch (a chance with LO, any better set/tbolt can do it easily), so pick a better poison type.
*Grass Knot hits bulky Ground and Rock types, such as Swampert, Quagsire, Rhyperior and Gastridon, hard
*Surf drowns bulky Ground types and walls that could take a Psyshock, such as Excadrill, Rhyperior, Piloswine,, Heatran, Alolan Marowack and bulky Volcarona, which it can 2hKO if you predict the switch. Put surf after HP ice, and fix this; Marowak is neither wall not ground type, while bulky excadrill/heatran are hit by FBlast and Rhypherior by grass knot
*Hidden Power Ice deals respectable damage to dragon types such as Mega Garchomp, Dragonite and Latios while also OHKOing Landorus-T and Gliscor without a Yache berry.
*Focus Blast hits harder against some steel types such as Magnezone and Heatran, as well as bulky Rock types under sandstorm such as Tyranitar, who must use a Chopel berry to survive. Focus Blast's 70% accuracy can be a nasty letdown though. It hits pretty much all steel types harder; only exceptions are Celesteela, Doublade, Skarmory and Empoleon (and for obvious reasons). Just say it hits steel types harder, and mention Porygon2.

Set Details
========

*The given spread maximizes Raichou's speed and power. Maximum speed is important in order to speed tie with opposing Raichou-A, as well as to speed tie maxed base 110's when electric terrain falls. If running Thunderbolt, a Modest nature is preferred in order to gain a noticeable power boost. For example, Modest with Choice Specs gives you a small chance of OHKOing Mega Metagross from full, whereas the damage from Timid maxes out at 96%.
* Surge Surfer doubles speed when electric terrain is up, so it can outspeed Scarf users
*Choice Specs gives an immediate power boost, allowing it to achieve impressive feats. Life Orb can be ran as an alternative if you like being able to switch moves and are willing to trade some power for it. Mention what the damage difference means; list some koes that are missed

Usage Tips
========

* Use Volt Switch liberally early game to scout the opponent while dealing heavy damage. This seems like a waste of Electric Terrain turns, but I'll admit I haven't used this enough to be certain of it. Definitely mention the loss, at the very least
* Raichou is a wonderful breaker and revenge killer, but it can't sweep teams on its own. Use it to poke holes in the enemy team early game, or to clean up late game once checks have taken damage. It's not a wallbreaker? I suppose it can be a revenge killer, but it's not really optimied for that either.
* Bring in Raichou in on a free switch, such as after a teammate faints or through a slow pivot
*Neutral Electric-type attacks under Electric Terrain deal more damage than 2x super effective moves, including Psyshock, so unless you predict a pokemon resistant to electric to switch in, firing off an Electric move will do the most damage. Um no super effective psyshock does more, as does focus blast and max bp grass knot. 95*1.5*1.5=213.75, while 120*2=240 (both psyshock and fblast)

Team Options
========
*Stealth rocks set by Golem-A can secure 2hKOs and be a general hinderance to the opponent, since you'll be forcing lots of switches. Golem-A can break specially bulky pokemon for Raichu-A to clean up later. alolan Golem
*Tapu-Koko is a quintessential teammate, setting electric terrain and powering up Raichu-A's Electric moves and speed. Electric Terrain allows it to achieve most of those impressive 2hKOs. Tapu-Koko can break through bulky walls with Nature's Madness or Guardian of Alola for easier cleanup later. Essential, not quintessential.
* Slow pivots such as Assault Vest Eelektross and Zapdos can bring in Raichou-A safely. Zapdos can Defog entry hazards so that Raichu-A does not take chip damage. It can also paralyze sweepers with Discharge or infect walls with Toxic, allowing your team to break through them faster. Zapdos and Eelektross's Fire-type moves can also break through Grass types which would otherwise wall Raichu-A. Eelektross isn't that good, esp not with so many other volt switchers.
* Scarf Rotom-Wash can cripple walls that Raichou can't break through, such as Eviolite Chansey and Porygon2, by tricking them a choice item. Rotom-W can also pivot into physical and Ground-type attacks before weakening their users with Hydro Pump or bringing in Raichu-A safely on a switch.
* Wallbreakers such as Thundurus-t, xurkitree and Golem-A can help whittle down the opposing team for Raichu-A to clean up late game.

[delete second set entirely]

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

*Mention Aloraichium Z sets
*Consider mentioning Expert Belt or Magnet Sets here
*Mention Psychic

*A physical attacking set with Volt Tackle, Extreme Speed, Knock Off and Celebrate with a Normalium-Z can be used, but with only 85 base attack it won't be breaking through nearly as many enemies. It is also difficult to find the right time to z-celebrate, since once the party's over, it cannot be used again. This isn't that good, cut it or don't be very complementary
*Calm Mind can be used instead of Nasty Plot, but Raichu's special bulk is still unimpressive even after a few Calm Mind boosts No nasty plot is bad enough as is, dont mention this.
*Raichu also has access to many other support moves, including dual screens, Yawn, and Encore, but they are situational and Raichu is far too frail to set them up more than once. Delete
*mention nasty plot here, preferably near the bottom.

Checks and Counters
===================

*Revenge killers: Priority users and Choice Scarf users can easily destroy a Raichu that has only taken a small amount of prior damage due to its nonexistent bulk. Choice Band Dragonite's Extreme Speed, Bisharp's Sucker Punch, and Mimickyou's +2 Shadow Sneak all OHKO Raichu-A from full. Raichu-A can outspeed all common scarfers in Electric Terrain though. Just don't list scarfers

*Bulky Electric-types: Zapdos, Assault Vest Eelektross and Lanturn can take Raichu-a's Electric attacks easily; Lanturn is totally immune to them and heals itself due to Volt Absorb. Not really. At the very least, put this lower.

*Ground-types: Excadrill, Landorus forms, and Hippowdon can switch in against Raichu-A if given a free turn such as on a choice-locked Volt Switch, but have to be watchful of coverage moves. Mamosine can 2hKO Raichu-A from full with priority Ice Shard.

*Bulkier Dragons: Latios, Latias and Kyurem-B can sponge most of Raichu-A's attacks and hit back with their stab moves. Kyurem-B fears Focus Blast, and the Nasty Plot set can land 2hKOs on Latios and latias with Thunderbolt if Raichu manages to boost before they switch in. Remove mention of nasty plot

*Special walls: Chansey and Porygon2 are completely unphased by either of Raichu-A's sets. Chansey can kill Raichu-A in three Seismic tosses, preventing it from boosting sufficiently. Porygon2's special attacks are an easy 2HKO as well. Put this higher.

Mention Tapu Bulu and maybe Fini for removing terrains and stopping Raichu's sweep.

*Grass Types: Ferrothorn easily takes any attack Raichu can throw at it besides the rare +2 Hidden Power Fire. Tapu-Bulu can OHKO Raichu-A with Horn Leech while removing Electric Terrain. Serperior outspeeds Raichu-A when Electric Terrain is not up and OHKOs with Leaf Storm, gaining the opposing team serious momentum. Grass-types generally do not fear anything Raichu-A can hit them with besides the rare Hidden Power Ice.

*Alolan Marowac: Alolan Marowac can take advantage of the Choice Specs set by pivoting into a Volt Switch, forcing Raichu-A to switch out. It still fears a Choice Specs Surf and it cannot switch into the Nasty Plot set once Raichu-A has a boost. Consider folding this into ground for electric immunities, and remove nasty plot references.

*Residual damage: Life orb recoil, Stealth rock damage and status, when combined, quickly wear Raichu down, which is why it's important to keep it out of the way of direct hits.

Last edited:
Much better now, but still some things to fix.

[OVERVIEW]

Electric
======

*AlolanRaichu's ability to break through walls, revenge kill Choice Scarf users, and maintain momentum [Remove] make it a top pick for Electric teams
*Its ability, Surge Surfer, combined with its 110 speed, allows it to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame including all Choice Scarfers while under electric terrain from Tapu-Koko
*Electric Terrain-boosted STAB attacks, combined with the afformentioned speed, allow it to carve up frailer offensive teams
*Secondary psychic stab allows it to hit hard with a stab psyshock against bulky special walls such as Chansey, Lanturn, Goodra and Mega Venusaur, as well as improving the matchup against Fighting teams
*Middling 95 special attack stat means that Alolan Raichu requires electric terrain support to be truly effective, and non-electric moves hit unimpressively without a boost
*Exceptionally frail; even middlingly strong resisted attacks can 2hKO, and the electric/Psychic typing gives it nasty weaknesses to ground, Dark, Bug and Ghost
*It can easily be picked off by priority moves. It is vulnerable to Choice Scarf users after Electric Terrain falls.
*It has access to coverage moves such as Surf, Grass Knot and Focus Blast to hit potential switch-ins hard, but cannot run all of them and is thus walled by something

[SET]
move 1: Thunderbolt / Volt Switch
move 3: Grass Knot / Surf / Hidden Power Ice Spaces between slashes like so
item: Choice Specs

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Thunderbolt and his extremely hard under electric terrain, at most 2hKOing almost all neutral offensive targets including Mega Metagross, Mega Scizor, Mega Gyarados, and Buzzwole. Separated this into two bullets, they aren't the same move.
* Volt Switch ...

* Psyshock is an obligatory STAB move that 2hKOs Mega Venusaur and deals solid damage to walls and other poison types, such as Salazzle, Mega Garchomp, and bulky Volcarona even after it gets a Quiver Dance boost. Psychic can be ran to OHKO Mega Venusaur after a bit of prior damage and deal more damage to Porygon2 than its other moves.
*Surf drowns bulky Ground types and walls that could take a Psyshock, such as Excadrill, Rhyperior, Piloswine,, Heatran, Alolan Marowack and bulky Volcarona, which it can 2hKO if you predict the switch. Excadrill and Heatran are hit harder by focus blast, alolan marowak is neither wall nor ground type.
*Focus Blast hits harder against steel types such as Magnezone and Heatran; bulky Rock types under sandstorm such as Tyranitar, who must use a Chopel berry to survive; and defensive Porygon2. Focus Blast's 70% accuracy can be a nasty letdown though.

Set Details
========

*The given spread maximizes Alolan Raichu's speed and power. Maximum speed is important in order to speed tie with opposing Alolan Raichu, as well as to speed tie maxed base 110's when electric terrain falls. If running Thunderbolt, a Modest nature is preferred in order to gain a noticeable power boost. For example, Modest with Choice Specs gives you a small chance of OHKOing Mega Metagross from full, whereas the damage from Timid maxes out at 96%.
*Choice Specs gives an immediate power boost, allowing it to achieve impressive feats. Life Orb can be ran as an alternative if you like being able to switch moves and are willing to trade some power for it. If running a Timid nature, the power drop from Life orb costs you some KO feats, such as an OHKO on Mega Metagross with Thunderbolt and Stealth Rock, OHKO on Venusaur with Psychic and Stealth Rock and 2hKO against mixed defensive Lanturn with Psyshock and Stealth Rock.

Usage Tips
========

* Bring in Raichou in on a free switch, such as after a teammate faints or through a slow pivot
*Raichu should mainly be used early and mid-game as a revenge killer or a hit-and-run breaker. This is why Volt Switch is useful,as Raichu can do some damage as it escapes. Volt Switch does use up Electric Terrain turns.
*Once opposing Pokemon have been weakened, use Alolan Raichu to clean up the opposing team, preferably while under Electric Terrain support for the extra speed. Late game, Volt Switch may turn out to be a liability since it forces you to switch out into something. The Life Orb set is more suited for late game cleaning because Alolan Raichu has access to all its coverage moves.

Team Options
========
*Stealth rocks set by Alolan Golem can secure 2hKOs and be a general hinderance to the opponent, since you'll be forcing lots of switches. Alolan Golem can break specially bulky pokemon for Alolan Raichu to clean up later.
*Tapu-Koko is an essential teammate, setting electric terrain and powering up Raichu-A's Electric moves and speed. Electric Terrain allows it to achieve most of those impressive 2hKOs. Tapu-Koko can break through bulky walls with Nature's Madness or Guardian of Alola for easier cleanup later by Raichu.
* Slow pivots such as Assault Vest Eelektross and Zapdos can bring in Alolan Raichu safely. Zapdos can Defog entry hazards, minimizing unnecessary damage done to Alolan Raichu. It can also paralyze sweepers with Discharge or infect walls with Toxic, allowing your team to break through them faster. Zapdos and Eelektross's Fire-type moves can also break through Grass types which would otherwise wall Raichu-A.
* Scarf Rotom-Wash can cripple walls that Raichou can't break through, such as Eviolite Chansey and Porygon2, by tricking them a choice item. Rotom-W can also pivot into physical and Ground-type attacks before weakening their users with Hydro Pump or bringing in Raichu-A safely on a switch.
* Wallbreakers such as Thundurus-t, xurkitree and AlolanGolem can help whittle down the opposing team for Raichu-A to clean up late game. Thundurus-t is bad, use thundy-I

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Electric
------

*Aloraichium-Z gives Alolan Raichu access to Stoked Sparksurfer, a 175-bp Electric move with a 100% paralysis chance. However, Raichu is able to dent most of its switch-ins with item-boosted coverage moves. Therefore the opportunity cost of not having the item as well as having to predict carefully when to use the move is generally not worth the surprise factor.
*Expert belt and magnet can be run to bluff a Choice item, but Raichu's coverage move power is underwhelming without the boost.
*Nasty Plot turns Alolan Raichu into a dangerous sweeper if it manages to set up, but finding those opportunities is difficult, and Electric Terrain will most likely fall while it is still on the field, slowing it down and weakening its Electric moves. Raichu's poor bulk means that priority moves will most likely stop it before it does enough damage.
*A physical attacking set with Volt Tackle, Extreme Speed, Knock Off and Celebrate with a Normalium-Z is a foolhardy bluffas Alolan Raichu's power is detestable compared to special sets and it cannot OHKO nearly as many targets.
Mention psychic here, since you didn't in moves

Checks and Counters
=================== Fix spacing, and less =s

Electric
------

*Revenge killers: Priority users and Choice Scarf users can easily destroy a Raichu that has only taken a small amount of prior damage due to its nonexistent bulk. Choice Band Dragonite's Extreme Speed, Bisharp's Sucker Punch, and Mimickyou's +2 Shadow Sneak all OHKO Raichu-A from full. Raichu-A can outspeed all common scarfers in Electric Terrain though. They also destroy raichu that have taken a large amount of chip too? what am I missing about your statement here.

*Special walls: Chansey and Porygon2 are completely unphased by Alolan Raichu's moves. Chansey can kill Raichu-A in three Seismic tosses, and Porygon2's special attacks are an easy 2HKO as well. Like them, they aren't the only special walls that beat it.

*Ground-types and Electric immunity: Excadrill, Lanturn, Landorus forms, and Hippowdon can switch in against Raichu-A if given a free turn such as on a choice-locked Volt Switch, but have to be watchful of coverage moves. Mamoswine can 2hKO Raichu-A from full with priority Ice Shard. Alolan Marowac can take advantage of the Choice Specs set by pivoting into a Volt Switch, forcing Raichu-A to switch out. It still fears a Choice Specs Surf or Psyshock though.

*Bulkier Dragons: Latios, Latias, Goodra and Kyurem-B can sponge most of Alolan Raichu's attacks and hit back with their stab moves. Kyurem-B fears Focus Blast, and Goodra cannot stand up to multiple Psyshocks. Bulky, not bulkier

*Grass Types: Ferrothorn easily takes any attack Raichu can throw at it besides the rare +2 Hidden Power Fire Remove hp fire, mention focus blast (which is on all sets and so isn't rare, maybe swap ferrothorn for celebi?). Tapu-Bulu can OHKO Raichu-A with Horn Leech while removing Electric Terrain. Serperior outspeeds Raichu-A when Electric Terrain is not up and OHKOs with Leaf Storm, gaining the opposing team serious momentum. Grass-types generally do not fear anything Raichu-A can hit them with besides the rare Hidden Power Ice.

*Bulky Electric-types: Zapdos, Assault Vest Eelektross and Lanturn can takeAlolan Raichu's Electric attacks easily; Lanturn is totally immune to them and heals itself due to Volt Absorb.

A bunch of Raichou and Raichu-A remain; try using cntrl+F. Again some GP issues, so if you get some spare time run it through a word processor and get the blatant errors.

Alright, I've taken a day away to geta fresh perspective. One last go through to catch the stuff I missed

[OVERVIEW]
Electric (This code is needed for later)
======

*Alolan(space)Raichu's ability to break through walls, revenge kill Choice Scarf users, and maintain momentum against fast and slow teams alike make it a top pick for Electric teams
*Middling 95 special attack stat means that Alolan Raichu requires electric terrain support to be truly effective, and non-electric moves hit unimpressively without a boost Remove boost, its a relic of nasty plot

[SET]
move 1: Thunderbolt / Volt Switch (Thunderbolt first, its better)
move 3: Grass Knot / Surf / Hidden Power Ice (Fix spaces like so)
evs: 4 HP / 252 SPA / 252 Spe (Fix spaces like so)

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Volt Switch backed up by Electric Terrain and Choice Specs can deal large damage to offensive Pokemon. Alolan Raichu should mainly use this move early game if wearing Choice Specs to avoid a choice lock.
*Thunderbolt is best used alongside Life Orb to clean up late game, and is Alolan Raichu's hardest hitting STAB move.
* Psyshock is an obligatory STAB move that 2hKOs Mega Venusaur and deals solid damage to walls and other poison types, such as Salazzle, Mega Garchomp, and bulky Volcarona even after it gets a Quiver Dance boost. It also deals more damage to Alolan Marrowack than any other move besides Surf.
*Psychic can be ran to OHKO Mega Venusaur after a bit of prior damage and deal more damage to Porygon2 than its other moves.
*Surf drowns bulky Ground types and walls that could take a Psyshock, such as Excadrill, Rhyperior, Piloswine,, Heatran, and bulky Volcarona, which it can 2hKO if you predict the switch. Again, EMphasize what it does over grass knot; since FBlast is slashed, mention it's accuracy vs exca/tran, and focus on ground combinations not weak to grass (ie flying) any relevant light ground types
*Focus Blast hits harder against steel types such as Magnezone and Heatran; bulky Rock types under sandstorm (or anywhere) such as Tyranitar, who must use a Chopel berry to survive; and defensive Porygon2. Focus Blast's 70% accuracy can be a nasty letdown though.

Set Details
========

* Surge Surfer doubles speed when electric terrain is up, so it can outspeed Choice Scarf users
*Choice Specs gives an immediate power boost, allowing it to achieve impressive feats. Life Orb can be ran as an alternative if you like being able to switch moves and are willing to trade some power for it. If running a Timid nature, the power drop from Life Orb costs you some KO feats, such as an OHKO on Mega Metagross with Thunderbolt and Stealth Rock, OHKO on Venusaur with Psychic and Stealth Rock and 2hKO against mixed defensive Lanturn with Psyshock after Stealth Rock.

Usage Tips
========

* Bring in Raichu in on a free switch, such as after a teammate faints or through a slow pivot
More usage tips here; say what pokemon to stay in on, what not to. Talk about the advantages of clicking thunderbolt versus trying to hit the switchin. Maybe even list whatever things raichu can switch in on.

Team Options
========
*Tapu-Koko is an essential teammate, setting electric terrain and powering up Alolan Raichu's Electric moves and speed. Electric Terrain allows it to achieve most of those impressive 2hKOs. Tapu-Koko can break through bulky walls with Nature's Madness or Guardian of Alola for easier cleanup later by Raichu.
* Slow pivots such as Assault Vest Eelektross(something else probably) and Zapdos can bring in Alolan Raichu safely. Zapdos can Defog entry hazards, minimizing unnecessary damage done to Alolan Raichu. It can also paralyze sweepers with Discharge or infect walls with Toxic, allowing your team to break through them faster. Zapdos and Eelektross's Fire-type moves can also break through Grass types which would otherwise wall Alolan Raichu.
* Scarf Rotom-Wash can cripple walls that Raichou can't break through, such as Eviolite Chansey and Porygon2, by tricking them a choice item. Rotom-W can also pivot into physical and Ground-type attacks before weakening their users with Hydro Pump or bringing in Alolan Raichu safely on a switch.
* Wallbreakers such as Thundurus, xurkitree and AlolanGolem can help whittle down the opposing team for Alolan Raichu to clean up late game.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Electric
------

Checks and Counters
=============

*Special walls: Specially defensive walls such as Chansey and Porygon2 are completely unphased by Alolan Raichu's moves. Chansey can kill Alolan Raichu in three Seismic tosses, and Porygon2's special attacks are an easy 2HKO as well.

*Revenge killers: Priority users and Choice Scarf users can easily destroy a Raichu that has taken prior damage due to its nonexistent bulk. Choice Band Dragonite's Extreme Speed, Bisharp's Sucker Punch, and Mimickyou's +2 Shadow Sneak all OHKO Alolan Raichu from full. Alolan Raichu can outspeed all common scarfers in Electric Terrain though.

*Ground-types and Electric immunity: Excadrill, Lanturn, Landorus forms, and Hippowdon can switch in against Alolan Raichu if given a free turn such as on a choice-locked Volt Switch, but have to be watchful of coverage moves. Mamoswine can 2hKO Alolan Raichu from full with priority Ice Shard. Alolan Marowac can take advantage of the Choice Specs set by pivoting into a Volt Switch, forcing Alolan Raichu to switch out. It still fears a Choice Specs Surf or Psyshock though. Reword to remove digressions; first list checks/counters, then focus on how the more dangerous ones do so.

*Bulky Dragons: Latios, Latias, Goodra and Kyurem-B can sponge most of Alolan Raichu's attacks and hit back with their stab moves. Kyurem-B fears Focus Blast, and Goodra cannot stand up to multiple Psyshocks.

*Grass Types: Ferrothorn easily takes any attack Raichu can throw at it besides Focus Blast or the rare +2 Hidden Power Fire. Tapu-Bulu can OHKO Alolan Raichu with Horn Leech while removing Electric Terrain. Serperior outspeeds Alolan Raichu when Electric Terrain is not up and OHKOs with Leaf Storm, gaining the opposing team serious momentum. Grass-types generally do not fear anything Alolan Raichu can hit them with besides the rare Hidden Power Ice.

Fix spacing, and reorder like so.
There's still GP issues, and probably still stuff I missed, but I can't see it even on another go through so it'll have to wait for QC.

Alright, I've taken a day away to geta fresh perspective. One last go through to catch the stuff I missed

There's still GP issues, and probably still stuff I missed, but I can't see it even on another go through so it'll have to wait for QC.
c&c : +2 hp fire shouldn't be there tbh (grass types), and raichu will never be choice locked into volt switch against hippowdon.
and maybe throw trace in somewhere

Implemented, except Thunderbolt. I want to know why it's better. I have tried both moves and I am of the opinion that being able to hit and run in a single move allows you to utilize Raichu to the fullest especially early in the game. Without it you're limiting Raichu to a revenge killing roll, which it needs for you keep electric terrain up. Then it has to switch out as soon as it's revenge killed its target. Much better to do both in a single turn, imho.

Dharma

komorebi
is a Top Artist
Implemented, except Thunderbolt. I want to know why it's better. I have tried both moves and I am of the opinion that being able to hit and run in a single move allows you to utilize Raichu to the fullest especially early in the game. Without it you're limiting Raichu to a revenge killing roll, which it needs for you keep electric terrain up. Then it has to switch out as soon as it's revenge killed its target. Much better to do both in a single turn, imho.
It is because Alolan Raichu's primary function is to sweep with the help of Electric Terrain. Volt Switch doesn't allow you to do that, since you have to switch out just to use an Electric type move. It isn't meant to be used as a pivot, which is why Thunderbolt is better.

hello I believe electro ball deserves a mention as altough alolan-raichu is the only viable user of it it uses it very well to dent fat walls and even 2hkos chansey after a nasty plot setup

Dharma

komorebi
is a Top Artist
hello I believe electro ball deserves a mention as altough alolan-raichu is the only viable user of it it uses it very well to dent fat walls and even 2hkos chansey after a nasty plot setup
Electro ball sounds good on paper, but alolan raichu is meant to check fast mons primarily, and electro ball is too dependant on the target being slow. As for your example, Nasty Plot isn't worth having on alolan raichu, and Electro ball has 80 BP against chansey outside of terrain. You might as well just use thunderbolt against it.

outside of terrain.
There is no point to use raichu outside of terrain. Also, in terrain worst case scenario its 10 less power than tbolt but usually it is higher so it should definitly be mentioned as the risk is very low compared to the gains.

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I was going to QC this until I saw that the feedback that was given was not taken seriously (Thunderbolt>Volt Switch). In the future, please avoid putting your personal agenda before the quality of the analysis.
The suggestion to add Electro Ball might seem fine on paper, but in practice it just doesn't quite work as one might think.
QC 2/3 Rejected

The suggestion to add Electro Ball might seem fine on paper, but in practice it just doesn't quite work as one might think.
I personally believe Electro Ball with 700 speed in terrain is one of the most potent things Alolan-Raichu has to offer. I have already used this set in practice while getting my Genesect reqs and can confirm that it works as intended in the theory. What needs to be kept in mind is that you are using Alolan-Raichu alongside Tapu Koko so you dont want either to outclass eachother on what they do for the team.

Overall, I realize that running Electro Ball over Thunderbolt is a preference of mine that not everybody shares, however, I honestly believe that the slight loss of 10 BP in certain situations is not enough to warrant an exclusion from mentions in other options because that is exactly what Electro Ball is compared to Thunderbolt.

QC Reject 3/3

Although I am not QC, I do know enough about Monotype and I am a mod of this section so I am reassigning this to someone else.

SuperSkylake, while your analysis does show effort has been made on your part, two trusted QC / established Monotype players rejecting it shows me that this is not up to the standards. Furthermore, considering that Raichu-A is an S Rank threat in Monotype, I want this to be done by someone I am more comfortable with. This is nothing personal, and I highly encourage you to continue to learn and strengthen yourself as a player. Perhaps consider finding some help in the Monotype room and finding a tutor then giving it another shot is a good course of action. We want you to participate, but this analysis just is not up to quality. Sorry.

10th Squad Taichou, a few things. Firstly, refusal to cooperate with QC is a huge red flag personally. Electro Ball is 100% unviable in every situation and I do not even play Monotype. So not listening to Vid's QC to remove it seems to show personal bias before quality of analysis to me. Please do not post like that in this subforum again in the future or further action will be taken.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)