Almost Any Ability XY (Suspect Over: Weavile banned, Keldeo Stays)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also while I'm here, I would like to mention that Regen is easily one of the best abilities. I am especially partial to Regen Jolteon with choice specs... The speed, power, and ability to recover are excellent. One of the best pivots in this entire meta.
Yes, regen is a good ability however very few non-steel or poison types wouldn't rather run PH. Ontop of that Jolteon's bulk is too pitiful for regen to be useful on him.
There's almost no steel special attacker and hippo can easily take the phisical threats.
Sylveon has the key resistance to water
Rain is the key resistance to fire
grass ? I don't see any threatening grass types and sylveon can take most of them.
But yeah, most sheer force + LO users can kill this core. But that's why we have rain and swift swim abusers to maintain an offensive pressure.
Sylveon doesn't resist water.

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
Yes, regen is a good ability however very few non-steel or poison types wouldn't rather run PH. Ontop of that Jolteon's bulk is too pitiful for regen to be useful on him.
Anything that can volt switch + activate regen before the opponent has a chance to move is far from pitiful. Frail, yes. Useless? I disagree.

Sylveon with DRY SKIN absorbs water all day.

Last edited by a moderator:
4 SpA Mega Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 248-292 (74.2 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Flash Fire Skarmory is probably the most used Skarmory around, due to fire spam. Plus, that's STILL a 2HKO, which allows Skarmory to whirlwind it out.

I like the Syvledon core, build around it... It has great potential. Include some pokemon that have key resistances to Steel, Water, Fire, and Grass. Maybe a Regen Scizor and Regen Goodra to take on things that would threaten your core. Just a suggestion..
What motherlove said. I didn't want to expand it too much, since that would remove players ability to customize their team to their liking.
I never said the Sylvedon core would be flawless, but it doesn't have many common counters. (Venusaur and Empoleon are nearly non-existant in this meta. I haven't seen a single on of either of those in all the nearly 150 battles I've played.)

Also while I'm here, I would like to mention that Regen is easily one of the best abilities. I am especially partial to Regen Jolteon with choice specs... The speed, power, and ability to recover are excellent. One of the best pivots in this entire meta.
With how frail and fast Regenerator Jolteon is, it really doesn't make a good Regen Switcher due to it pretty much dying if something even looks at it. Rotom-W would make that set a million times more viable, though, with access to great pivot options in tricking a specs/scarf, will o wisp, and a nice slow volt switch to safely bring in team members. If you are going to continue using Jolteon, though, Life Orb would be better than Choice Specs due to you being able to access a lot more coverage/volt switch, and being able to simply negate it's self destructive effects by switching out.

I see magic bounce gyarados mega evolving after a few ddace as a problem too
I'm fairly sure that's a problem for almost every non-unaware mon not named Keldeo.
EDIT: Ignore my brain fart about the unaware pokemon

Last edited:
Flash Fire Skarmory is probably the most used Skarmory around, due to fire spam. Plus, that's STILL a 2HKO, which allows Skarmory to whirlwind it out.
idk, I see mostly gale wing/intimidate, evenrough skin. But yeah it still walls garchomp badly. Not as badly as togekiss tho. EDIT togekiss takes stone edge to the face and dies a billion times so forget what i said
Venusaur and Empoleon are nearly non-existant in this meta. I haven't seen a single on of either of those in all the nearly 150 battles I've played.
You never battled ol greg then :)
I'm fairly sure that's a problem for almost every non-unaware mon not named Keldeo.
After mega, it ignores unaware, wich is why it's so deadly.

Also, i might have mentioned it before, but regen diancie is actualy pretty good. takes birdspam to the face and retaliates with diamond storm (also counters honchkrow, whom i had problem with when using doublade) and access to toxic and skill swap is always nice.

With how frail and fast Regenerator Jolteon is, it really doesn't make a good Regen Switcher due to it pretty much dying if something even looks at it. Rotom-W would make that set a million times more viable, though, with access to great pivot options in tricking a specs/scarf, will o wisp, and a nice slow volt switch to safely bring in team members. If you are going to continue using Jolteon, though, Life Orb would be better than Choice Specs due to you being able to access a lot more coverage/volt switch, and being able to simply negate it's self destructive effects by switching out.
I'd say if you're planning on using a non levitate rotom you should be using rotom-f for not being weak to earthquake. Though rotom-m might also be useful in that role for not being weak to rock(maybe not though)

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
Water absorb Rotom-H is decent. You can see EQ and Stone Edge coming a mile away. All sorts of resists and good utility.

What motherlove said. I didn't want to expand it too much, since that would remove players ability to customize their team to their liking.
I never said the Sylvedon core would be flawless, but it doesn't have many common counters. (Venusaur and Empoleon are nearly non-existant in this meta. I haven't seen a single on of either of those in all the nearly 150 battles I've played.)

EDIT: Ignore my brain fart about the unaware pokemon
Ive had double the amount of battles you have. Venusaur is not exactly uncommon since it counters Keldeo quite nicely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Water absorb Rotom-H is decent. You can see EQ and Stone Edge coming a mile away. All sorts of resists and good utility.

Ive had double the amount of battles you have. Venusaur is not exactly uncommon since it counters Keldeo quite nicely.
I don't know how high spoonal is, but in high ladder i see very few venusaur/empoleon and i've had about 130 battles
With all the bird spam/fire spam i really don't see venusaur being that good

I'd say if you're planning on using a non levitate rotom you should be using rotom-f for not being weak to earthquake. Though rotom-m might also be useful in that role for not being weak to rock(maybe not though)
Rotom-W has the niche of only being weak to ground and grass, though, while grass is usually slow and uncommon, and ground types being able to threaten Rotom-F anyways (EdgeQuake). Plus, Zapdos would probably outclass Rotom-F.
Not sure where you reside on the ladder, but I can guarantee that in the high ladder, venusaur is nearly non existant due to many things countering Keldeo better (with more support for the team) such as water absorb Sylveon (cleric support.), Jellicent (Will o Wisp/Taunt), and Lati@s.

Not to mention that Venusaur has serious issues with a large majority of the metagame, including Protean pokemon, especially Azelf, Gale Wings, Skarmory, Magic Bouncers like Cress, Sun, Rain with Hurricane, No Guard (Inferno and Hurricane especially) and prankster.

Last edited:
Not sure where you reside on the ladder, but I can guarantee that in the high ladder, venusaur is nearly non existant due to many things countering Keldeo better (with more support for the team) such as water absorb Sylveon (cleric support.), Jellicent (Will o Wisp/Taunt), and Lati@s.

Not to mention that Venusaur has serious issues with a large majority of the metagame, including Protean pokemon, especially Azelf, Gale Wings, Skarmory, Magic Bouncers like Cress, Sun, Rain with Hurricane, No Guard (Inferno and Hurricane especially) and prankster.
This, in addition to the fact that if rain is up (which isn't exactly uncommon seeing as Keldeo loves to be in rain) Venusaur is not walling Keldeo whatsoever since Synthesis becomes a pitiful source of recovery. The same applies with sand teams to a certain extent too.

Last edited:
Speaking of Keldeo, I just thought I'd mention this:

Keldeo @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Protect
- Calm Mind

Here's a set I've been using (and have seen motherlove using), both to great success. It sets up all over pretty much half the physical mons in the meta with its 90/90 bulk, and utterly destroys things afterwards. At +2 SpDef and max defense bold, Keldeo is freakishly hard to take down, as it doesn't auto-lose to chansey like suicune or lack any sort of power. Also acts as a hardcounter to bisharp (unless protean banded psycho cut lel) if that's a problem.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-159190150 (my win condition here, despite the hax, it does some good damage to his team, being immune to will-o, having recovery, and bulk.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-159831055 (sweep)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-159445599 (sweep, also the crit didnt matter despite what the guy said)

Not sure if this has been mentioned (and sorry if it has) but here's an awesome Bisharp counter and general tank.

Mandibuzz @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Unaware/Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 126 Def / 126 SpD
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Taunt/Whirlwind
- Foul Play
- Roost

This thing can handle Bisharp all day lonh with unaware, and hits it back hard with Foul Play after it Swords Dances. It is also useful outside of Bisharp, being able to annoy pokemon with Toxic or Taunt. You can also use Whirlwind for removong threats that have set up, or status shuffle. Iron Barbs can be used over Unaware to hurt Physical threats even more, but it does like Unaware. It has trouble dealing with a few pokemon, though, especially Adaptability Keldeo/Terrakion, and electrics like Thundurus and Zapdos. Otherwise, it's a decent emergency button for stall teams. There may be some pokemon who do this better, and if you think you have one, feel free to share.

Speaking of Keldeo, I just thought I'd mention this:

Keldeo @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Protect
- Calm Mind

Here's a set I've been using (and have seen motherlove using), both to great success. It sets up all over pretty much half the physical mons in the meta with its 90/90 bulk, and utterly destroys things afterwards. At +2 SpDef and max defense bold, Keldeo is freakishly hard to take down, as it doesn't auto-lose to chansey like suicune or lack any sort of power. Also acts as a hardcounter to bisharp (unless protean banded psycho cut lel) if that's a problem.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-159190150 (my win condition here, despite the hax, it does some good damage to his team, being immune to will-o, having recovery, and bulk.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-159831055 (sweep)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-159445599 (sweep, also the crit didnt matter despite what the guy said)
I just wanted to add that i prefer runnig some speed ev's to outspeed adamant mamoswine (refrigirate cb is really good in the current meta), 32speed to outspeed adamant and 132 IF you want to outspeed jolly (not recomanded thought)
But yeah this thing is the best bisharp counter ever (also for the rare refrigirate entei)

Moving on, a little while ago, someone talked about gale wing togekiss. I tested it a bit and it's actually quite good.
Here's a replay to show a bit what he can do http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-159986573
You can really run the moves you want, I have defog/roost/np/air slash, but you can trade defog for aura sphere/fire move or maybe heal bell. you still have that small flinch chance wich is nice. An overall great pokemon.
EDIT: It was unfixable that mentioned him in that post, he get's the credit
EDIT 2: Spoonal, I think Old_Gregg already posted this :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)