Other Metagames Almost any ability: Terrakion voltturn (80+ GXE)

Hi Guys, I have really been getting into AAA recently and wanted to make a flagship sort of team that I could pull out on ladder, in tour, and in friendlies and find success versus many play styles. What I ended up with is what I think works best in AAA, Utility pivots+Strong breakers. This team has a good matchup vs bulkier teams and balance teams while it can also hold its own vs offense teams if you can play carefully.

Azelf  sprite from Diamond & Pearl

Azelf

Azelf @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Expanding Force
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Fire Blast

Azelf is the premier scarfer in the tier IMO, It outspeeds many key threats like +1 Garchomp, +1 Volcarona, Scarf Gapdos, Barraskewda and Alakazam. It also has the powerful ability of blocking priority moves meaning Pikachu fakeout, Skewda Aquajet, and Zarude grassy glide all fail with azelf on the field. Azelf is also very powerful on its own being able to beat many of its would be counters like regenrachi, and blissey through u-turn, knock off, and fire blast. Many of its switchins are severely punished by a u-turn into either heatran or terrakion.

Swampert  sprite from Ruby & Sapphire

Swampert

Swampert @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Flip Turn
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Swampert is a beast, legit. Its actually surprisingly difficult to punish pert for rocking turn1 without zarude or magic bounce. Most of the time you want to eq or flip turn out t1 to scout various magic bouncers. Swampert is a pivot and switch in for quite a bit. With regen+nature bulk Swampert+Intimidate corv check pretty much every phys attacker in the tier while providing oppurtunities to bring in other powerful and dangerous mons. Swampert normally would be AV to help with things like genesect or lele but rocks are very helpful in breaking down regen cores. Overall, Swampert is played as an annoying pivot, getting up rocks, and scouting moves before going out to a more appropriate counter while also giving the ability to slowturn into its teammates.

Corviknight  sprite from Sword & Shield

Corviknight

Corviknight @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Corviknight is pretty self explanatory, intimidate is used over immune abilities (voltabsord/Flashfire) because the team desperately needed a switchin to zarude and terrakion. It also provides an ability to undo a lot of progress that ferrothorn can do with spikes as it inevitably will get turns vs this team. Of course, u-turn is strong as always, baiting in more terrak and azelf food like toxapex, volc, and zapdos.

Zapdos  sprite from Silver

Zapdos

Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 184 HP / 252 SpA / 72 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Weather Ball
- Volt Switch
- Roost

Zapdos is a mf THREAT. 100% accurate 110 bp 30% confusion stab hurricane is insane, backed by water and electric coverage is even more insane. This set I think works a lot better than the normal thunder, uturn set as zapdos is used as the main heatran switch in for this team and being able to hit desolate land users like tran, cinderace and volc is very important. Zapdos is a very strong offensive and defensive cornerstone to this team. It can usually tank at least one hit vs offense teams to get off an important hurricane or voltswitch, or just absolutely harass defensive teams with strong pivots+confusion+longevity. Zapdos keeps the team together vs normally very threatening mons like Volcarona or magmatrap tran while threatening them and switch ins with immensely powerful moves. Voltswitch is a nice midground move as it really cannot be stopped by ground types in combination with weather ball and you don't have to pick between damage and predicting the regenvest user switch in; you can do both!

Terrakion  sprite from Black & White

Terrakion

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Terrakion is the main offensive threat of this team and really the whole goal of this team is the get this mon in as many times as possible. With toxic even dshield mew can't really switch in long term as its healing gives chances for the other powerful breakers to get a free switch. It has a guarenteed 2hko vs intimidate corv with rocks and its a roll without. There really isn't much that can reliably switch into terrakion and the things that can scout its moves like regenpert or toxapex don't get too many opportunities to hault this teams momentum, most times terrakion can blow holes in teams that late game, they cannot recover from, leaving chances for things like azelf and zapdos to clean up later on.

Heatran  sprite from Black & White

Heatran

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Solar Beam
- Taunt
- Toxic

Heatran does a few things for this team. Firstly, it provides an important genesect check while also providing a much needed water immunity stopping things like primarina or baraskewda from freely clicking their stabs. Heatran combined with terrakion+azelf+zapdos creates a very difficult offensive core to stop, as heatran will trap some sort of defensive threat like tapu fini or blissey leaving holes for the other mons to exploit. Heatran really shines in matchups that rely on defensively checking the other mons through regenerator as once those mons are removed there is normally very little stopping the other mons from picking up a KO every time they can come in.

Threats:
Will edit later

Ducky

Aw Phooey
is a Contributor to Smogon
Hello Queenzz, I'm very happy to hear you're enjoying AAA! Your team is an overall pretty good team, very Swampert, Corviknight, and Zapdos make up a very solid defensive core, and pair very well with the core of Azelf + Terrakion. I played with it on the ladder for a few games a noticed a few things.

Small Change:
:corviknight:: :rocky-helmet: ---> :leftovers::
One thing I noticed was the team had a very shaky matchup vs Terrakion, having to go into Corviknight and then pivot between Swampert and Zapdos most times. Leftovers on Corviknight will help give you a more reliable Terrakion answer.

Bigger Change:
:heatran: ---> :jirachi::
Another thing I noticed was that the team was moderately weak to Tapu Lele, Azelf, and other Psychic- or Fairy-types that have coverage to hit Heatran. Jirachi solves most of these issues, while also providing another piece to your VoltTurn core, as well as providing Future Sight support so Pokemon such as Toxapex can no longer switch into Terrakion.

Overall a very solid team, just 2 changes to help the team be a little more consistent. Hope you continue to enjoy AAA!!

Last edited:
Hello Queenzz, I'm very happy to hear you're enjoying AAA! Your team is an overall pretty good team, very Swampert, Corviknight, and Zapdos make up a very solid defensive core, and pair very well with the core of Azelf + Terrakion. I played with it on the ladder for a few games a noticed a few things.

Small Change:
:corviknight:: :rocky-helmet: ---> :leftovers::
One thing I noticed was the team had a very shaky matchup vs Terrakion, having to go into Corviknight and then pivot between Swampert and Zapdos most times. Leftovers on Corviknight will help give you a more reliable Terrakion answer.

Bigger Change:
:heatean: ---> :jirachi::
Another thing I noticed was that the team was moderately weak to Tapu Lele, Azelf, and other Psychic- or Fairy-types that have coverage to hit Heatran. Jirachi solves most of these issues, while also providing another piece to your VoltTurn core, as well as providing Future Sight support so Pokemon such as Toxapex can no longer switch into Terrakion.

Overall a very solid team, just 2 changes to help the team be a little more consistent. Hope you continue to enjoy AAA!!
Cool changes definitely will give them a try! Thanks for the rate

UT

Old habits die SCREAMING
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
This is a nice looking AAA team, I have built many similar to it! It's very good as-is, but I do have some suggestions for possible improvement.

Azelf @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Expanding Force
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Fire Blast
For Azelf, I am a big believer in Trick over Knock Off. I dislike locking myself into Knock Off, and Trick is far more damaging to an opposing wall or bulky setup wincon like Cosmic Power Mew. It also allows you to play Azelf much more aggressively against slow/fat teams, as if you don't need the Scarf, you can cripple something and free up your item slot in one turn. (it also lets you run Timid instead of Hasty, not that it usually matters that much)

Corviknight @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog
Like Ducky said, if Corviknight is your Terrakion switch-in, it needs Leftovers:

-1 252 Atk Choice Band Adaptability Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 182-216 (45.5 - 54%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
-1 252 Atk Choice Band Adaptability Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 182-216 (45.5 - 54%) -- 46.1% chance to 2HKO

Also, I have become a fan of not going completely min Speed on Corv, as it worsens your Dhelm matchup and also makes it risky to try and Roost at low health against Blissey/Chansey. I have found the sweet spot to be 147 Speed imo; it gets you below Mandibuzz and any Pert/Corv that don't minspeed, but creeps Blissey, Chansey, and Dhelm creeping minspeed Corv.

Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 184 HP / 252 SpA / 72 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Weather Ball
- Volt Switch
- Roost
I love this Zapdos set, but one key issue it has is the lack of pivoting move against Swampert and Garchomp, which can come in fairly reliably against it. Your team does not do an amazing job of punishing those either; Pert pretty much gets a free Flip Turn, and Garchomp can set up Rocks or Swords Dance to try and overwhelm Corv. I would probably do U-turn instead of Volt Switch, and would think about Thunder over Weather Ball, as that 30% para chance is really nice. You can definitely defend Weather Ball here though.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Desolate Land
Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Solar Beam
- Taunt
- Toxic
I agree with Ducky that this team is a bit weak specially, but I don't think Jirachi solves that problem. It still leaves you weak to opposing PSea, and very weak to DLand if it gets in on Zapdos, and is fairly dicey against Genesect unless it carries Fire Punch. I would recommend adding a Blissey or Chansey here, as they help significantly against opposing weather, Lele, and Azelf, and with some techs can also help against Genesect as well.

Blissey (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 25 Spe
- Seismic Toss / Fire Blast (Fire Blast is the anti-Gene option)
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
- Teleport

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator / Unaware
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Seismic Toss / Counter (Unaware + Counter is the anti-Gene option, and works very well imo)
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
- Teleport

The downside to this substitution is it takes away a good progress maker in Heatran, especially against opposing fat teams. This is somewhat mitigated by Azelf now having Trick, but the team is undeniably more passive and relies pretty heavily on Terrakion to make progress. If you do this, and find the team too passive for your taste, I would also consider replacing Zapdos. It's defensive role is now largely covered by Swampert + Chansey, and while it has nice offensive presence, there are much stronger options as well. Some I would consider are below:

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Dazzling Gleam
- Roost
- U-turn

Standard special pivot, does a nice job of drawing in and pivoting on special walls to get Terrakion in.

Tapu Koko @ Flame Orb
Ability: Pixilate
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Roost
- Volt Switch
- Nature's Madness

Physical overload, wears down several of Terrakion's checks as well, mainly Corv and Mew.

Tapu Lele @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball / Psyshock

It's broken if they don't have Jirachi and Focus Blast hits.

Inteleon @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Weather Ball
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- U-turn

Faster, stronger PSea mon that also pivots for Terrakion.

Latios (M) @ Soul Dew
Ability: Tinted Lens
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost

Another solid mid-speed breaker. Especially can set up and break down fat teams. Consider Heal Bell on Chansey in case you get greedy and eat a Toxic.

Zarude @ Choice Band
Ability: Tough Claws / Grassy Surge
Jolly Nature
- Darkest Lariat
- Power Whip / Grassy Glide
- Close Combat
- U-turn

Another physical spam option, and pivot.

I hope you find this rate useful, let me know if you have any questions! It's a solid looking team as-is, and I hope you find some of these suggestions help improve it even more!

This is a nice looking AAA team, I have built many similar to it! It's very good as-is, but I do have some suggestions for possible improvement.

For Azelf, I am a big believer in Trick over Knock Off. I dislike locking myself into Knock Off, and Trick is far more damaging to an opposing wall or bulky setup wincon like Cosmic Power Mew. It also allows you to play Azelf much more aggressively against slow/fat teams, as if you don't need the Scarf, you can cripple something and free up your item slot in one turn. (it also lets you run Timid instead of Hasty, not that it usually matters that much)

Like Ducky said, if Corviknight is your Terrakion switch-in, it needs Leftovers:

-1 252 Atk Choice Band Adaptability Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 182-216 (45.5 - 54%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
-1 252 Atk Choice Band Adaptability Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 182-216 (45.5 - 54%) -- 46.1% chance to 2HKO

Also, I have become a fan of not going completely min Speed on Corv, as it worsens your Dhelm matchup and also makes it risky to try and Roost at low health against Blissey/Chansey. I have found the sweet spot to be 147 Speed imo; it gets you below Mandibuzz and any Pert/Corv that don't minspeed, but creeps Blissey, Chansey, and Dhelm creeping minspeed Corv.

I love this Zapdos set, but one key issue it has is the lack of pivoting move against Swampert and Garchomp, which can come in fairly reliably against it. Your team does not do an amazing job of punishing those either; Pert pretty much gets a free Flip Turn, and Garchomp can set up Rocks or Swords Dance to try and overwhelm Corv. I would probably do U-turn instead of Volt Switch, and would think about Thunder over Weather Ball, as that 30% para chance is really nice. You can definitely defend Weather Ball here though.

I agree with Ducky that this team is a bit weak specially, but I don't think Jirachi solves that problem. It still leaves you weak to opposing PSea, and very weak to DLand if it gets in on Zapdos, and is fairly dicey against Genesect unless it carries Fire Punch. I would recommend adding a Blissey or Chansey here, as they help significantly against opposing weather, Lele, and Azelf, and with some techs can also help against Genesect as well.

Blissey (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 25 Spe
- Seismic Toss / Fire Blast (Fire Blast is the anti-Gene option)
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
- Teleport

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator / Unaware
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Seismic Toss / Counter (Unaware + Counter is the anti-Gene option, and works very well imo)
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
- Teleport

The downside to this substitution is it takes away a good progress maker in Heatran, especially against opposing fat teams. This is somewhat mitigated by Azelf now having Trick, but the team is undeniably more passive and relies pretty heavily on Terrakion to make progress. If you do this, and find the team too passive for your taste, I would also consider replacing Zapdos. It's defensive role is now largely covered by Swampert + Chansey, and while it has nice offensive presence, there are much stronger options as well. Some I would consider are below:

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Dazzling Gleam
- Roost
- U-turn

Standard special pivot, does a nice job of drawing in and pivoting on special walls to get Terrakion in.

Tapu Koko @ Flame Orb
Ability: Pixilate
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Roost
- Volt Switch
- Nature's Madness

Physical overload, wears down several of Terrakion's checks as well, mainly Corv and Mew.

Tapu Lele @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball / Psyshock

It's broken if they don't have Jirachi and Focus Blast hits.

Inteleon @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Weather Ball
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- U-turn

Faster, stronger PSea mon that also pivots for Terrakion.

Latios (M) @ Soul Dew
Ability: Tinted Lens
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost

Another solid mid-speed breaker. Especially can set up and break down fat teams. Consider Heal Bell on Chansey in case you get greedy and eat a Toxic.

Zarude @ Choice Band
Ability: Tough Claws / Grassy Surge
Jolly Nature
- Darkest Lariat
- Power Whip / Grassy Glide
- Close Combat
- U-turn

Another physical spam option, and pivot.

I hope you find this rate useful, let me know if you have any questions! It's a solid looking team as-is, and I hope you find some of these suggestions help improve it even more!
Woah! Really appreciate the time you put into this and I agree that chansey>tran then also something>zapdos, while zappy is my personal fave AAA mon I think with chansey it becomes a little useless. I tried jirachi and it did help vs more offensive teams, but trying to beat hazardspam regen teams or stall in general became much more difficult. I might try fireblast blissey+lati for a good breaker or possibly chansey+something that doesnt lose to genesect. Will give them all a try and see what works! Thanks for the rate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)