Done Allow hangmans to take diacritical letters into account

Lionyx

メラミ
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Greetings, I'd like to suggest the option for hangmans to take diacritical letters (é, ê, è, ë, ...) into account, in order to improve the experience for players of language rooms notably.

Currently, the command "/hangman new Forêt Givrée" (the French name of Articuno's dungeon in PMD) displays a guessing game with the answer being "Fort Givre". While this can be worked around by starting the game with the command /hangman new Foret Givree, it can be counter intuitive both for the host and the players trying to guess an answer off of the letters they've already discovered.

My suggestion is to have it behave in a similar way to how the usernames behave (for example if someone types /nick Lucíâ then their name will automatically correct it to Lucia). Taking my previous example into account, /hangman new Forêt Givrée would indeed expect "Forêt Givrée" and show the corresponding 11 blank spaces for letter guesses, but since ê/é aren't letters per se and rather just a diacritical "e", the game would still accept both "/guess Forêt Givrée" and "/guess Foret Givree", and it would count both "/guess e" and "/guess ê" as correct for all 3 "e" in the answer.
I suppose that it could only work for diacritical variations of the 26 latin alphabet letters used in English, though I'm not sure if it can apply to other alphabets at all (be it from a technical viewpoint or from a grammatical viewpoint of how these alphabets work).

It's a rather minor thing as there's already a workaround as I've stated earlier, but I figured that it costed nothing to ask since usernames already do that in a way, and it would be a nice QoL change for the non-english speaking communities. Thanks for your time!

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
This is at least a bit difficult because different languages treat diacriticals differently. For instance, in Spanish, ñ and n are considered different letters, but in French, e and é are considered the same letter, it's just that one is accented.

We could just always consider diacriticals the same letter, I guess. :/

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
1612060762775.png

How do you feel about this? I made it use the same system we currently use for apostrophes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)