Gen 7 AG - Arceus-Steel Sticky Webs

Hey! I've been laddering with the basic archetype for this Sticky Web team for a couple of years now, and wanted to share the version I'm currently running. When I was playing more frequently I was able to get around 1650 ELO wit this team, and in a few tests it worked really well on low ladder.

The main premise of the team is to use sticky webs to enable a team of incredible strong, bulky sweepers who have little drawback other than Speed. The combination of Sticky Web + set-up sweeper is nothing new. However, instead of coddling one Pokémon to break through an entire team, I tried to design something where every Pokémon has some win condition while also being a potent threat in more balanced match-ups. That why, I can kind of pick the best set-up Pokémon for each team I come across, and overwhelm teams that only prepare for a specific sweeper. As a bonus, this shifts the honus of prediction onto my opponent, which means I can play very safe while forcing them to outplay me.

I'm not a particularly good player by any means, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I enjoy playing with this team a lot because I never feel like the team itself holds me back, but there are a lot of filler moves and standard sets I think could be improved upon. I'd love to increase the number of options my team has for any given scenario, largely because as a learning player, I want a team that's forgiving for mistakes.

(As an aside, I love the BW sprites that have been made for some of the new Pokémon, so I've decided to use those even though this is a Gen 7 team.)

Team:

Deoxys-Defense @ Lum Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Drain Punch
- Aerial Ace
- Toxic

This was one of the most contentious spots in the teambuilding process, but I decided on Deoxys-D as a stop-gap against many of the threats to this team. I added it mainly out of frustration to losing to Spore Smeargle, but it's bulk allows

Stealth Rock is essential over Spikes / Toxic Spikes for a form of universal chip damage, letting me break Focus Sash guaranteed and avoid revenge kills. As a hazard, it's also better at discouraging Defog, since many users are weak to it. Drain Punch does 88% to standard Smeargle sets and usally around 65-70% to bulky variants. It also heavily chips Excadrill, Cloyster, and Darkrai going for sleep / set up. Toxic let's it cripple bulkier Pokémon, and greatly improves it's matchup against Defog Arceus forms. Aerial Ace allows this to chip Evasion sets and do more damage to Psychic / Flying types, but is mostly filler.

EVs are maximized for Attack, with an Adamant nature to do as much chip damage against other leads before fainting. 232 Speed allows me to outpace +Speed Smeargle, and the rest is dumped into HP because Deoxys-D has such a contrast between its base defenses and base HP.

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sticky Web
- Bug Buzz
- Thunder
- Volt Switch

I've never regretted using Galvantula in this spot. It does it's role, but also has a surprising amount of offensive versatility as well. It's a pretty standard set though. Focus Sash obviously ensures Sticky Web set up.

Sticky Web is the lynchpin of the team - less because it allows my sweepers to outspeed everything and more because I don't have to worry about speed as a option, giving me more move-slots / EVs to invest in power. Thunder is the main offensive move. Super effective coverage against Flying-types is great synergy with Deoxys-D, meaning by the time the can switch in and Defog, my sweepers are already set up. It also allows it to check Primal Kyogre in a pinch, and paralysis is always nice in halting opposing teams' momentum. Bug Buzz is not only good coverage, especially against Ferrothorn, but allows it to beat most Magic Bounce users and Deoxys leads ensuring a victory in the hazard war. Volt Switch isn't often used because of the opportunity cost of not using one of the other moves, but has use in some niche matchups (notably against lead Mega-Diance, bringing in Arceus Steel)

EV spread isn't very creative. as much speed and a +Speed Nature to get Sticky Web up quick, then as much Special Attack as possible to weaken the team as much as possible.

Rayquaza-Mega @ Lum Berry
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Ascent
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

I think this is the best "recepient" of Sticky Web in the tier. It usually pulls it's weight in most battles by taking out around ~2-3 Pokémon after set-up, which is important with this team since you essentially are playing 4 vs. 6. Of course, it can sweep unprepared teams, and Lum Berry often gives it an extra Swords Dance opportunity.

Since I already have the Speed control with Sticky Web, I can run Swords Dance to get Mega-Ray over 1000 Attack. Since you're usually switching this in to a not set-up Pokémon after Galvantula faints, it usually can tank a hit before breaking whatever is in front of it. Having the power of Swords Dance also frees up your item slot from Life Orb, meaning you don't really have to worry about chip damage. Dragon Ascent is a base 120 power STAB move with no offensive drawbacks, which in this case is about the best move you could ask for. Sticky Web also complements this selection, since it minimizes the Pokémon which can hit Mega-Ray before it pulls this off. Earthquake is essential coverage against Steels and Primal Groudon, which can take a boosted Dragon Ascent and threaten damage. Finally, Extreme Speed makes Mega-Ray very difficult to revenge kill, since anything faster than it under Sticky Webs is usally killed by it.

The benchmark for this team is beating 130 base Speed Pokémon after Stick Web (-1 Speed), which comes out to 263 Speed. Conveniently, Mega-Ray has 266 Speed and Arceus has 276 Speed with no EVs, so I don't need to invest here. This means I can run maximum Attack EVs with an Adamant nature, and then invest in Special defense for a chance of living stray Ice Beams.

Arceus-Steel @ Iron Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Flash Cannon
- Toxic

Arceus-Steel is definitely one of the most interesting Pokémon on the team. It isn't visible from the teambuilder, meaning your opponent can't really check it, and it isn't 2HKO'ed by basically anything not named Primal-Groudon. Not only does Steel give me a bevy of resistances, but it also gives me a crucial immunity to Toxic, which as a long term set up sweeper is incredible. It struggles a bit from being passive, but after having tried other Special options such as Xerneas and Mewtwo, I'm comforted by it's consistency.

Calm Mind makes Arceus-Steel unkillable while also boosting up Flash Cannon, it's only real offensive option. Since I don't care about status, Recover is the obvious choice for longevity. It's consistency is also an excellent defense against crits - because most things have no chance of 2HKOing, staying above 70% usually also prevents bad luck from impacting this set. Flash Cannon and Toxic works as a tandem to beat most options against this set. Toxic prevents opposing Pokémon from setting up alongside it, cripples many phasers, and it a good option against threats with reliable recovery. Flash Cannon beats most Steel types, since they don't have reliable recovery, Pokémon that can remove status, and revenge killers with the aid of Sticky Web. Importantly, Flash Cannon replaces Judgement here because the extra PP is crucial and the Special Defense drops can force untimely switches.

Since I'm boosting my Special Defense anyways, placing all of my EVs into HP and Defense ensures that it's as tank as possible. I guess the 4 Special Attack EVs give Flash Cannon a few better KO windows, idk.

Marshadow @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Spectral Thief
- Drain Punch
- Bulk Up

This punishes Pokémon who are somehow unaffected by Sticky Web, and is a catch-all check. I feel like most battles it doesn't do too much, but when I need it I'm glad it's there. Focus Sash is there to prevent against Speed boosters.

Spectral Thief is obviously the main allure of Marshadow. Having two hazard setters means that your team can give up momentum early, allowing Pokémon to set up and win the game before I've even started. Even having the threat of Marshadow discourages this, and gives by team breathing room against other Hyper-Offense strategies. Shadow Sneak complements this, chipping or KOing dangerous threats such as other Marshadow or set-up Mega-Ray, which otherwise would break through this team. Bulk Up allows Marshadow to play within the Sticky Web offense, and in a pinch the Defense boost can help against Pokémon such as Primal-Groudon. Drain Punch is a complement to Bulk Up that also has the nice benifit of restoring Focus Sash when it isn;t used up immediately.

Like Galvantula, having maximum Speed ensures that Marshadow can perform it's role, mainly set-up denial and revenge killing. Attack EVs ensure that it can do that while also making it threatening as a set-up sweeper of it's own.

Arceus @ Leftovers
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Recover

I was getting tired of losing to priorty even with Marshadow, so I added Arceus-Normal. In a bit of good fortune, the Leftovers and Defense investment let's it set up on tons of threats and continue to heal as it sweeps, making it a good combination with Mega-Ray.

Extreme Speed is the entire focus of the set, and there's not too much beyond it. With an Adamant nature and Swords Dance, Extreme Speed allows Arceus to either act as a cleaner at +2 or a breaker at +3. Swords Dance provides immediate set up value to hit these marks. The combination of Recover and Leftovers means that attacks have to do 53% to Arceus Normal to prevent it from setting up, which is a tough mark to hit consistently. Finally, Earthquake gives neccesary coverage against Steels and Primal Groudon, just as with Mega-Ray.

Max Attack and an Adamant nature are there for similar reasons as Mega-Ray. However, since Arceus-Normal has no specialy weaknesses (other than a stray Focus Blast) it can become incredibly tough to deal with through it's Defense investment. It plays similarly to Arceus-Steel, but has to worry much more about status.

Weaknesses:
These aren't super backed up by calcs, but are more from my experiences.

- This is not a weakness perse, but since it is unaffected by Sticky-Web and has Extreme Speed, Mega-Ray can usally revenge kill one of the set-up Pokémon. This usually isn't a big deal because of Marshadow and the three priority users though.

(Dragon coverage / Toxic) - Any set without a Dragon move loses to Mega-Ray, and any set without Toxic loses to Arceus-Normal. It's a bit of a guessing game, but once you know the set Primal-Groudon turns from a weakness to a liability, despite being countering Arceus Steel.

- The other counter to Arceus Steel. Usually only takes 55-70% from a +4 Flash Cannon and is immune to Toxic, then can just Haze. It also can tank Earhwaukes from Arceus-Normal / Mega-Ray, though is destroyed by them if they are at +2 or higher.

- Can take a hit from most of the sweepers and phaze them. Can't really hurt them though, and Mega-Ray and both Arceus forms do over half when boosted.

- Completely and utterly walls Arceus-Normal, while burning it. Loses to Arceus-Steel pretty bad though. Mega-Rayguaza works if it does have a Dragon Move, and Marshadow works if it doesn't have Shadow Sneak.

- Only relevant because it threatens Marshadow, since it can't Special Thief, has Power-Up Punch to boost of switch-outs, and can break Focus Sash with Crunch / Sucker Punch. Completely beaten by Mega-Ray, and can even lose to Arceus Steel despite Power-Up Punch

- Deoxys-D beats Smeargle hard, but this is much more of a Struggle. Of course, this is a gimmicky set anyways, and Marshadow always threatens the reverse sweep, but can cheese out a win.

Thanks for reading and any feedback! =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)